• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

►The Awesomest Fanclub of Terra♂ ẍ Aqua♀◄

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyScythe

in a chair wrapped in thee most comfy blanket ever
Website
www.youtube.com
I tried browsing Pixiv, but there didn't seem to be much there. Is there some trick to it to make it so there aren't only four total pages of Kingdom Hearts stuff? And do you need to make an account to see the full artwork?

Yes and Yes, you need an account to see full images, and there is in a trick in the tags, the tags that work are
kh
bbs
kingdom hearts
but you can also use the tags on the art peice you click.

and in small news, made a small parody dub vid for Terra xAqua, because its may and thats when stress is at its worse (if ur still in school, like some of us) so enjoy.

YouTube - For 17 Years warning, spoiler.

raelle

I tried browsing Pixiv, but there didn't seem to be much there. Is there some trick to it to make it so there aren't only four total pages of Kingdom Hearts stuff? And do you need to make an account to see the full artwork?

Yep, it comes down to the tags. A lot of art on Pixiv in general, especially for KH where the producers are notably edgy about fanworks, are scattered across different tags - for the interests of this thread, the ones you'll probably want to check out are:

キングダムハーツ
王国心
bbs
アクア
テラ
テラアク

It's gotta be hard to write a character properly if you haven't seen the way they officially talk in your own language, I'd say. =/ But I don't think it'd be that much of a hard sell, from what I've seen - they're already clearly willing to do anything for each other in canon, which seems to me to be a better starting point for a healthy relationship than hatred or blind adoration.
My feelings on Terra/Aqua are a bit odd – I remember being really taken with the idea after seeing the intro (I'm sure you know which scene in the intro I'm referring to), but after actually sitting through the game and understanding the character dynamic itself, my sense was mostly: “Okay, this is a really complex and interesting relationship with a lot of issues to explore – but I'm not getting a couple vibe here.”

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

Ikkin

Bronze Member
Yep, it comes down to the tags. A lot of art on Pixiv in general, especially for KH where the producers are notably edgy about fanworks, are scattered across different tags - for the interests of this thread, the ones you'll probably want to check out are:

キングダムハーツ
王国心
bbs
アクア
テラ
テラアク

Thanks. ^_^

Is there any instruction guide re: how to make a Pixiv login without being able to read Japanese? *found some cool pictures and wants to see them at full size*

Which I would love to see. I think there is something really compelling and beautiful about Aqua being forced to challenge herself and her beliefs, and that being a hard thing for her, and it's a plausible way to push her feelings forward because it would mean she would have to sit down and really think about Terra, what she knows about him, and who he is—and the two of them sort of struggling and working things out together, acknowledging mistakes (because they both did make mistakes), and that sort of thing. That sort of Terra/Aqua actually does make me fangirl a little – it's just that I haven't really seen it yet. Which, again, is probably largely because the game isn't out in English yet. :p

Wow, I absolutely love that interpretation of the ship, to the point where I think I'd actually pay real money for it as a doujin or something (as long as it was well-done). o_o

And, honestly, while that sort of thing might kill off a ship based off of any other source material... Kingdom Hearts seems to take it as a given that misunderstandings, mistakes, and forgiveness are intrinsic to every relationship, romantic or not, and the fact that this hurts a lot doesn't diminish the relationship itself. It seems perfectly fitting - and rather human - for Terra and Aqua to have problems of this sort no matter how much they care about each other.

Besides, it'd make for an amazing and very much not-cliche story. =D

raelle

Thanks. ^_^

Is there any instruction guide re: how to make a Pixiv login without being able to read Japanese? *found some cool pictures and wants to see them at full size*

How to Registration pixiv by =Teruchan on deviantART

I think this should help! :)

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

chasespicer056

Empathy is Divine
So anyone with current or planning new In general fics/art/amvs, now that some of us, will have free time.

I plan on working on.

Kingdom Hearts Rebirth,

Untitled AU Highschool fiv Terra x Aqua, which is a collab with Killer Kung Fu Wolf Bitch.
and it's Sequel!

and Same Story, Different School, a.k.a That Same Old Story.

I'll try to update my Xemnas/Aqua story sometime soon.

NeoEevee

So anyone with current or planning new In general fics/art/amvs, now that some of us, will have free time.

I plan on working on.

Kingdom Hearts Rebirth,

Untitled AU Highschool fiv Terra x Aqua, which is a collab with Killer Kung Fu Wolf Bitch.
and it's Sequel!

and Same Story, Different School, a.k.a That Same Old Story.
YAY. RAMBLING ABOUT FANSTUFFS

I have a fanfiction series. It starts out as a Digimon/Fullmetal Alchemist/Hellsing crossover... with a lot of Shout Outs to other shows. The sequel moves the setting to the Hellsing world, and replaces the Digimon with Tokyo Mew Mew (no, really), a few elements from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, FMA's anime continuity, and teensy tiny bits of foreshadowing. The third finally shoves in some Kingdom Hearts (very, very early in - it's only in the planning phase, but I know Sora shows up in the third scene and proceeds to utterly steal the show xD), and the fourth sort of throws a focus on one world out the window and proceeds to tell the whole good vs. evil thing, only while questioning just what the hell darkness is. Oh, and Vanitas has "younger siblings"; darker versions of several other characters. They look cute, but they will turn on you in an instant and do horrible things to you. Just ask Zexion. xD

Oh, and there's some Aqua x Terra in the third and fourth ones. But I'm still on the first one, on the third chapter. xD The only KH bits in the first two are Shout Out-y foreshadowing. Lots and lots of foreshadowing.

Then there's a Drawn to Life/KH crossover I'm also still planning. All I know is that Namine gets zapped to Raposa-land and there's a fairy that bears a suspicious resemblence to... someone else. xD

Also, I overuse "xD." Do you notice?

Then there's "Raising Heart, Set Up!" a KH/Nanoha crossover, totally unrelated to the aforementioned crossover series (which I hereby dub the "Crossovers and Craziness" universe o3o), and currently going through the refinement of its plot. The working summary is as follows: "It started when Roxas got a magic staff dropped on his head. Things got worse from there."

And then a bunch of little ficlets, mostly pairing/shippy things. Plus a little collection of 358/2 Days oneshots: "Those Unseen Days"; it has the Org acting sort-of normal, as well as the reason Axel is no longer allowed to pick the movies on movie nights, or why RAX is not allowed near the kitchen. And then there's "Axlene, and Other Tales of Organization Terror" which is more or less "Those Unseen Days" after mainlining Pixy Stix and essence of insane fangirl, and then throwing the established canon out the window and running away. You can blame my best friend for helping me come up with that last one. xD

Ikkin

Bronze Member

Yeah, that worked. ^_^ Thanks.

Now I just wish I could actually read the comics that are up there... not that they're not amusing enough without the words. XD

I'm not really interested in seeing “I was so wrong, forgive me!” Aqua versus Victim Terra either – a huge part of what makes BbS compelling to me is that the core of the tragedy is this really complex and terrible situation where Terra was crushed and broken into believing he was incapable of being anything but a bad person, and in large part the people who loved him were the ones responsible – but everyone's perspective there is understandable; no one can really be demonized. Aqua and Eraqus wanted to help Terra sincerely and desperately – their ingrained worldview just meant that they were incapable of seeing how.

Yeah... the really interesting thing is just how much of the characters' suffering is caused, not by malicious forces, but by the protagonists trying to do what they think is right for everyone.

I've found that to be a really hard thing to get people to understand, though, unfortunately. =/ There seems to be a strong tendency to demonize whichever side hurts the character one prefers, no matter how much the game tries to avoid that.

Er, I hope I'm not coming off as too hard on Aqua. It's the way she has both these troubling aspects and the genuinely heroic and admirable aspects of her character that creates her overall appeal for me. As you said, it makes her very human.

The only thing I think you might be being a little bit too hard on her about is by the apparent assumption that she would have had just as much trouble helping Terra even if she'd known more about his actual situation. I'm not quite convinced that she would have treated Terra in the same way if she'd seen what Terra's struggle with the darkness actually entailed, instead of just hearing second-hand about all the terrible things he'd (purportedly) done - though that doesn't really absolve her of all too much, since it was the way she acted in the first place that caused him to shut her off.

And, on a more-related-to-ship note, here's a ranty-essay-thingy about writing romance that seems like it could be applicable to Terra and Aqua in a lot of ways. Especially points 4, 5, and 6.

raelle

Yeah, that worked. ^_^ Thanks.

Now I just wish I could actually read the comics that are up there... not that they're not amusing enough without the words. XD

I hear you! I can usually get the gist of the comics, but there's plenty on there I still don't understand too. Sometimes it's frustrating because it's juuust complex enough that I can't actually do a full translation, bawwww.

I've found that to be a really hard thing to get people to understand, though, unfortunately. =/ There seems to be a strong tendency to demonize whichever side hurts the character one prefers, no matter how much the game tries to avoid that.

Yeah, absolutely. I mostly just lurk around the fandom - I'm not brave enough to start participating in most communities! - but it's something I've noticed, too. Which is a shame on a couple of levels - to some degree I can understand backlash against fans who, say, over-romanticize Axel or over-demonize Kairi, but going too far either way flattens and distorts their characters. And I tend to feel that the fact that Kairi has that hugely problematic moment regarding Riku in KHI makes her a much more interesting character if you're willing to actually sit down and dissect it - same with Axel and his conflicting feelings about his different loyalties. But I don't think it's enough to stop at "Kairi wasn't fair to Riku" or "Axel is selfish" or even "Aqua is closeminded" or "Terra is self-absorbed" (oh, god, is Terra self-absorbed...) - all of those traits are perhaps unfortunate, but also understandable and come from certain places.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

Ikkin

Bronze Member
SPOILER WARNING for my whole massive textwall, really.

I hear you! I can usually get the gist of the comics, but there's plenty on there I still don't understand too. Sometimes it's frustrating because it's juuust complex enough that I can't actually do a full translation, bawwww.

I'd imagine translating jokes has to be the hardest thing ever. x_x Cultural assumptions are just so different that it seems like translating humor would be sort of equivalent to explaining the joke. =/

Yeah, absolutely. I mostly just lurk around the fandom - I'm not brave enough to start participating in most communities! - but it's something I've noticed, too. Which is a shame on a couple of levels - to some degree I can understand backlash against fans who, say, over-romanticize Axel or over-demonize Kairi, but going too far either way flattens and distorts their characters. And I tend to feel that the fact that Kairi has that hugely problematic moment regarding Riku in KHI makes her a much more interesting character if you're willing to actually sit down and dissect it - same with Axel and his conflicting feelings about his different loyalties. But I don't think it's enough to stop at "Kairi wasn't fair to Riku" or "Axel is selfish" or even "Aqua is closeminded" or "Terra is self-absorbed" (oh, god, is Terra self-absorbed...) - all of those traits are perhaps unfortunate, but also understandable and come from certain places.

Are you me? =O

No, seriously, I agree with you 100%. That sort of all-or-nothing mentality is the must frustrating part of fandom, because of what it does to the characters. To see characters torn down or placed on pedestals in spite of half of their characterization... it just makes me wonder how other people can actually see things like that. I can't even comprehend how one could hate or love a character who they've done that to - it just makes the character boring.

And it's sort of frightening to think that this kind of black-and-white thinking might be inevitable, even in a fictional work that continuously tries to tear it down. If we have so much trouble truly understanding others, even when given their perspective directly, how are we supposed to do it when we only have our own to go by? =/

Hmm, I'm kind of torn about this - but it's a discussion I'd love to keep having, if you're interested!

I'd be glad to continue. ^_^ Though I should mention that I'm not fully spoiled on the game yet - I've watched parts, but not everything, especially where the Disney worlds are concerned.

My reading tends to be that Aqua and Eraqus couldn't have helped Terra, fundamentally, unless they themselves changed, because of their absolute "darkness is evil and must be wiped out" worldview. Aqua spectacularly fumbled a lot of things about how she approached Terra, but even if things had gone smoothly and he had listened to her, gone back, and practiced, uh, suppressing his darkness even harder than he already was or something, I don't think that would have fixed anything - stemmed the tide, maybe, but ultimately probably made things worse and more miserable for him in the end. Darkness is a part of Terra and I don't think trying to cut it out of him or telling him to "lock it away", uh, works - and that's the only kind of advice I think Aqua was capable of giving.

Well, what I was thinking wasn't that things would have been better if Terra listened to Aqua - it's more that things would have been better if Aqua had known more about Terra.

The parts of the game that I've seen gave me a very strong impression that the things Aqua heard about Terra were skewed in such a way that she wouldn't have had any reason to question her own beliefs about what the Darkness in Terra's heart really meant. She keeps hearing that Terra did things that she can't imagine him ever wanting to do (many of which he actually didn't do), and the only way she can comprehend it is that it's the Darkness' fault.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, she might have been less rigid in her views if she'd been given more of a reason to question them. =/

I also think of the end of the game, at the Keyblade Graveyard - where Aqua's advice to Terra basically amounted to the same "look, darkness is bad, don't succumb to it" - and, naturally, it did absolutely zero good and Terra more or less completely blew her off.

I'll admit that I might be going easy on her for her response at the Keyblade Graveyard because... well, in the context of fighting Master Xehanort, darkness is bad. =/ I'm kind of reminded of the scene in Reverse/Rebirth right after Namine convinces Riku that his darkness is a part of him and that's okay and he's not a bad person because of it - and then Ansem effortly takes control of his body anyway, because darkness is still darkness.

But, the impression I had of that scene was more along the lines of Terra saying, essentially, "I know I messed up and did exactly what Master Xehanort wanted. It's my fault Eraqus is dead. Please allow me to deal with the consequences by myself" and Aqua responding with, "don't do that, because if you use Darkness, you'll just be playing into his hands again."

Terra's internal struggles were similar to Aqua's, really - he was having to figure out how to reconcile his inner darkness with his self-image of being a good person, a Keyblade Master who protected the worlds. The things he had been taught told him that being dark-aligned and being a good person were mutually exclusive, so in his mind, one of them had to give - and his darkness wasn't going anywhere, so that self-perception, idealism, and hope of being good is what ultimately shattered because no one around him - not Eraqus, Aqua, or even Ven - was capable of telling him that having darkness didn't make him an awful person. Master Xehanort was the one exception, and we saw how well that turned out.

The only thing I have to add to that is that the thing that makes it even more tragic is that Terra seems to be a pretty nice guy throughout. The thing that makes him a "bad person" is completely out of his control - the problem is who he is, not what he does, so nothing that he does can really make it any better.

I love this link, btw. I'm personally still rather reluctant about Terra/Aqua - what I find most interesting them isn't dependant on a ship and I don't think really enhances it, either - but I can absolutely see the appeal, because in a lot of ways they match the guidelines here and I find myself nodding furiously at all of them. Primarily, I think, what makes them really exciting to people is that they're both independently developed and functioning characters with independent heroic traits and agency, and neither of them falls under Designated Love Interest. They're able to interact with each other as people.

Thanks. ^_^

Actually, I agree on you that a romantic ship might not enhance Terra and Aqua's relationship all that much. The reason I'm such a fan is because I think Terra and Aqua's relationship could make the romantic bit about a thousand times more interesting. xD

EDIT: Er, looking back at this, I am coming off as super-hard on Aqua, so I guess to clarify: Aqua absolutely loves Terra, and believes in him, and would give anything for him from the start of the game to the end of the game without question (as is made, you know, painfully apparent) - and I do think that love is as strong, stronger, than her ideological ties. It's more that the way she believes in him and the way she goes about trying to save him that unintentionally keeps driving Terra further off the deep end and driving them further apart. If Terra gave up on himself, his dreams, and his hopes because he couldn't reconcile that with his darkness, I think Aqua is still at a point at the end where she refuses to give up anything, and that can be looked at as a form of strength.

It's not a problem. And I agree with all of this completely, or at least the Aqua bits. (I'm not quite sure that Terra gave up quite that badly, but I haven't seen all of his ending)

I think if Aqua was introduced to another perspective, ala Riku, she'd be more than capable of shifting the way she thinks about things - but sort of going off Aqua's characterization, I think you'd sort of need an outside force to help her with that.

I'd love to see Aqua put in a position where she ends up training Sora and Riku... and ends up learning as much from them about Riku's darkness as they learn from her about the Keyblade.

Especially because she sort of came off as almost abandoning hope for Riku (at the age of five) when she decided that it'd be less painful if Sora didn't have a Keyblade so he wouldn't end up having to fight him.

raelle

To see characters torn down or placed on pedestals in spite of half of their characterization... it just makes me wonder how other people can actually see things like that. I can't even comprehend how one could hate or love a character who they've done that to - it just makes the character boring.
Yeah. Again, I can sort of understand--when you see what you think of as a huge collective misinterpretation of a character, it's easy and even fun to try and "correct" it in an equally forceful way. Even here, well, I've been mostly focusing on Aqua's flaws, and that's partially because my understanding of the KH fandom is that they have most of the praise and appreciation of her strengths already covered. But you really have to be careful with that to try to not lose nuance, which is the important thing, I think? I think sometimes the line blurs between "are you trying to understand the character" and "are you trying to correct what you see as dumb fanbrats", and the latter sort of gets to me. I think even the most stereotypical fangirls have their reasons for what they bring to the table, and it can be just as interesting to discuss where they're coming from and what they're responding to without being so fast to demonize them as fanbrats, or what have you.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

LadyScythe

Website
www.youtube.com
so can't wait till the english version is out to psycho analyze Terra and Aqua.

and from what i've been reading, maybe your relucant about Terra and Aqua because your breaking them down from the inside out so it makes it a little bit hard to see more then the appeal

The thing about relationships in KH, is that its all friendship based but some of them do have little substance to imply that there is more OR could be more. because Nomura did say 'ship what you want'
which fans would of done eitherway, but i don't think he was realizling all the crack pairings that would come afterword, and those pairs really have NOTHING to work on.

and i do feel that Terra and Aqua have that bit of substance, and that is why we have the ability of imagination to make this ship work (or any ship in general) as long as it has substance.
and the fact that Aqua and Terra are well written characters with heroic mindsets brings a challenge to it. because from the movies/tv/books i have read and watched, Heros seem to be on this type of
"autopiolt" of being heros all the time and thier own personal lives just come second.

.as opposed to Sora's obvious 1-dimensional crush on Kairi in KH1

and thats all i have to say on the matter, oh and be sure to use spoiler tags, not everyone in this club spoiled.

Ikkin

Bronze Member
and the fact that Aqua and Terra are well written characters with heroic mindsets brings a challenge to it. because from the movies/tv/books i have read and watched, Heros seem to be on this type of
"autopiolt" of being heros all the time and thier own personal lives just come second.

oh and be sure to use spoiler tags, not everyone in this club spoiled.

Would it be if I put a spoiler warning and a bunch of spaces at the top of my post instead? I don't want to spoil anyone, but I find spoiler tags kind of frustrating because they don't work on my cellphone's browser.

[QUOTE="raelle, post: 5042003, member: 86105"]Yeah. Again, I can sort of understand--when you see what you think of as a huge collective misinterpretation of a character, it's easy and even fun to try and "correct" it in an equally forceful way. Even here, well, I've been mostly focusing on Aqua's flaws, and that's partially because my understanding of the KH fandom is that they have most of the praise and appreciation of her strengths already covered. But you really have to be careful with that to try to not lose nuance, which is the important thing, I think? I think sometimes the line blurs between "are you trying to understand the character" and "are you trying to correct what you see as dumb fanbrats", and the latter sort of gets to me. I think even the most stereotypical fangirls have their reasons for what they bring to the table, and it can be just as interesting to discuss where they're coming from and what they're responding to without being so fast to demonize them as fanbrats, or what have you.[/quote]

Haha, wow, you just made me realize that I was kind of doing the same thing to the "fanbrats" as I was condemning them for... XD;

But I still think there's a difference between focusing on one part of a character to make a point and truly believing that's the only part of the character that matters. As for "trying to correct the fanbrats"... I'm not sure how often that's the underlying issue, even if strongly-polarized views of characters often come up in that context.

I kind of assumed that, in most cases, it has more to do with people idealizing the characters they like (because they think liking flawed characters would reflect poorly on them?), then deciding that anyone who hurts those characters must be evil (because who else would hurt an innocent?).

[quote](Which she does have some responsibility for - I really think the way she handled their confrontation at Radiant Garden was the equivalent of a spectacular trainwreck. Even Ven called her out on that one.)[/quote]

Yeah, that really was a spectacular failure. Jumping straight to an accusation? Definitely realistic, but it hurts Terra so badly that I really can't blame him for his reaction.

[quote]That's all really true, too - there is more than just "lol, aqua being closeminded again" going on there. A lot of it did have to do with Terra stubbornly shoving the others away and continuing to shut them out, and Aqua's warning was totally legitimate - things would have turned out better if Terra had listened to her. :P

But there is still a part of me that's a little troubled [I]because[/I] what Aqua offered to him obviously didn't have much of an effect - Terra ignored her completely - and I do sort of think it's because Aqua fell back on that sort of moralistic "don't do this, it's bad" angle, without really understanding what Terra's true issue and struggle was and figuring that him resisted his darkness was the key to getting through, even if just in the short term. (But as soon as I say that, I'm immediately unsure of how comfortable I am with assigning blame to her for that...! Obviously, a huge bulk of responsibility will always be on Terra himself for being the one to make the choice not to listen--but maybe those are just two different issues altogether, idk.)[/quote]

Well, I think what's going on here is that, at least for me, there's a feeling that Aqua really did start to understand just a little bit of what Terra was going through (her reaction to Terra admitting that he'd helped Master Xehanort kill Eraqus strikes me as very different from what it would have been if she'd thought it was his fault for not controlling his darkness well enough, even if I'm not exactly sure what kind of reaction I would expect if she believed that)... but it was just too late for that to do any good.

I guess the thing is, by that point, Aqua was essentially The Boy Who Cried Wolf. The advice that she gave Terra and the advice that Terra needed were actually the same thing... but he'd found her to be so unhelpful before that he had no reason to listen.

[quote]Yeah, Terra is an incredibly sweet guy. His characterization really kind of took me aback--it really is constructed in a way to make it hurt terribly that he's the one this is happening to, since he's so earnest and well-meaning and really fought and tried as hard as he could to figure out how to be "good", and it all completely blew up in his face, since it was a hopeless battle from the beginning for the reasons you said. I loved it, though--it felt really refreshing as opposed to the typical "falls to the dark side" type story. To me, it's not so much the traditional story of hubris or how someone fell to evil as much as the story of how a good kid tragically internalized the view that he was bad.[/quote]

I think we've sort of been trained to expect tragic heroes to be, well... not particularly sympathetic, honestly. And Terra, especially, had the specter of Anakin Skywalker hanging over his head, and Anakin's the poster boy for the "tragic hero" who deserves everything he had coming to him.

Terra's a complete rejection of that kind of sugar-coating - there's no reassuring sense that, if we were in his position, we could have done better, because he's at least as good a person as we are. And I think that's a pretty brave thing to do, because people in general really like the comfort of being allowed to believe that bad things only happen to those who bring them upon themselves.

[quote]Terra's part in the secret ending is sort of--I've seen some people read it the same way I have, and others who don't seem to notice anything amiss, but it is really, really hard for me to interpret his demeanor and the things he says in the Secret Ending as signaling anything besides Terra being very, very broken from what happened. But I think you can also see that "hahaha oh man I don't even care anymore!" attitude he expressed explicitly through words there through his actions in the general endgame--Terra knows that Aqua and Ven don't want him to give into darkness, he knows it's self-destructive for him, he knows it's not what Eraqus wanted, he knows it's playing right into Xehanort's hands, and Aqua reminds him of all this--and he throws himself straight into it anyway.[/quote]

Okay, I think I might have phrased my thoughts wrong.

Terra's [i]definitely[/i] broken, I agree. But I think the thing he gave up on isn't so much his ideal of being a good person as [i]himself[/i] in general. It wasn't that he stopped fighting as much as he stopped caring about what happened to him as a result of it, because he thought he deserved whatever he had coming to him. If he had to destroy himself, mentally or physically, to take out Master Xehanort... well, that was just the price he'd have to pay for allowing himself to get taken advantage of in the first place.

...which, come to think of it, is [i]really[/i] dark. o_0

[quote]Actually, ficwise with Aqua and Terra, part of what gives me pause from tackling it myself is that if you want to properly address all of these elements, it'd have to be post-game--and it's tough to know quite how to approach that until we know exactly what Terra's involvement, and possible culpability, was in what Xehanort and Xemnas were doing...[/quote]

I've kind of taken to assuming that Terra's not really responsible for much of what either of those two did, since their actions have very little in common with anything he's ever done. And in Xemnas' case, it'd be really weird to say that Terra had any measure of control, since Ven didn't seem to have any direct control with Roxas.

The more interesting question, in my mind, is how much [i]Terra[/i] will feel he's responsible for. Even if he wasn't the one driving their actions, if he knew what they did, he might feel responsible simply because he didn't off himself properly when he had the chance. =/

LadyScythe

Website
www.youtube.com
Would it be if I put a spoiler warning and a bunch of spaces at the top of my post instead? I don't want to spoil anyone, but I find spoiler tags kind of frustrating because they don't work on my cellphone's browser.

Haha, wow, you just made me realize that I was kind of doing the same thing to the "fanbrats" as I was condemning them for... XD;

But I still think there's a difference between focusing on one part of a character to make a point and truly believing that's the only part of the character that matters. As for "trying to correct the fanbrats"... I'm not sure how often that's the underlying issue, even if strongly-polarized views of characters often come up in that context.

I kind of assumed that, in most cases, it has more to do with people idealizing the characters they like (because they think liking flawed characters would reflect poorly on them?), then deciding that anyone who hurts those characters must be evil (because who else would hurt an innocent?).

Yeah, that really was a spectacular failure. Jumping straight to an accusation? Definitely realistic, but it hurts Terra so badly that I really can't blame him for his reaction.

Well, I think what's going on here is that, at least for me, there's a feeling that Aqua really did start to understand just a little bit of what Terra was going through (her reaction to Terra admitting that he'd helped Master Xehanort kill Eraqus strikes me as very different from what it would have been if she'd thought it was his fault for not controlling his darkness well enough, even if I'm not exactly sure what kind of reaction I would expect if she believed that)... but it was just too late for that to do any good.

I guess the thing is, by that point, Aqua was essentially The Boy Who Cried Wolf. The advice that she gave Terra and the advice that Terra needed were actually the same thing... but he'd found her to be so unhelpful before that he had no reason to listen.

I think we've sort of been trained to expect tragic heroes to be, well... not particularly sympathetic, honestly. And Terra, especially, had the specter of Anakin Skywalker hanging over his head, and Anakin's the poster boy for the "tragic hero" who deserves everything he had coming to him.

Terra's a complete rejection of that kind of sugar-coating - there's no reassuring sense that, if we were in his position, we could have done better, because he's at least as good a person as we are. And I think that's a pretty brave thing to do, because people in general really like the comfort of being allowed to believe that bad things only happen to those who bring them upon themselves.

Okay, I think I might have phrased my thoughts wrong.

Terra's [I]definitely[/I] broken, I agree. But I think the thing he gave up on isn't so much his ideal of being a good person as [I]himself[/I] in general. It wasn't that he stopped fighting as much as he stopped caring about what happened to him as a result of it, because he thought he deserved whatever he had coming to him. If he had to destroy himself, mentally or physically, to take out Master Xehanort... well, that was just the price he'd have to pay for allowing himself to get taken advantage of in the first place.

...which, come to think of it, is [I]really[/I] dark. o_0

I've kind of taken to assuming that Terra's not really responsible for much of what either of those two did, since their actions have very little in common with anything he's ever done. And in Xemnas' case, it'd be really weird to say that Terra had any measure of control, since Ven didn't seem to have any direct control with Roxas.

The more interesting question, in my mind, is how much [I]Terra[/I] will feel he's responsible for. Even if he wasn't the one driving their actions, if he knew what they did, he might feel responsible simply because he didn't off himself properly when he had the chance. =/

yeah it'd still be a spoiler.

chasespicer056

Empathy is Divine
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Wow...that's a really good point you bring up. And this argument notes how the game implies that Aqua loves Terra.

It seems like part of the reason Aqua didn't want Terra to fall into darkness is because she loved him and wanted him to love her back. But if he fell into darkness...he'd never be able to do that.

raelle

Nah, I think it's something we all do, especially when we're really passionate about a series? I mean, I've gotten into a fair bit of frothing about people misinterpreting characters too—it's just, something sometimes I think I need to be careful about, too.

I think that's totally an issue too. I do love flawed characters, characters who make terrible mistakes—figuring out my take on Aqua and her mistakes made me love her so, so much more than if she was just a heroic badass, for example—but I'm not so sure others see it the same way. For example, I think I would honestly like Sora more if people (and the narrative itself) were able to have a serious discussion about his problematic attitude towards the Nobodies and his fairly trigger-happy actions—and we can have that discussion without hysterical strawmanning about Sora being evil and the Organization being pure and good—so I get frustrated when I see extremes falling on either end...

Yes, I know Sora (or Roxas, or Aqua, or Terra, or anyone else) is the “good guy”; the problem is that I... don't really care, in terms of what I like about the characters or think that has any particular impact on what they may or may not be answerable to in terms of personal failings?

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

Ikkin

Bronze Member
Nah, I think it's something we all do, especially when we're really passionate about a series? I mean, I've gotten into a fair bit of frothing about people misinterpreting characters too—it's just, something sometimes I think I need to be careful about, too.

Yeah, it's just kind of frustrating, I guess. And that makes it hard to see what kind of point, if any, the other side might have. =/

I think that's totally an issue too. I do love flawed characters, characters who make terrible mistakes—figuring out my take on Aqua and her mistakes made me love her so, so much more than if she was just a heroic badass, for example—but I'm not so sure others see it the same way. For example, I think I would honestly like Sora more if people (and the narrative itself) were able to have a serious discussion about his problematic attitude towards the Nobodies and his fairly trigger-happy actions—and we can have that discussion without hysterical strawmanning about Sora being evil and the Organization being pure and good—so I get frustrated when I see extremes falling on either end...

I actually think Sora kind of got the short end of the stick because, well... if there's one problem with the videogame medium, it's that it's almost impossible to learn things about characters that those characters themselves refuse to deal with. =/ So Sora's conflicting feelings about Nobodies could never really be voiced - all we get are facial expressions that might hint one thing or another. =/

Yes, I know Sora (or Roxas, or Aqua, or Terra, or anyone else) is the “good guy”; the problem is that I... don't really care, in terms of what I like about the characters or think that has any particular impact on what they may or may not be answerable to in terms of personal failings?

Well, since when has "good guy" meant "perfect little angel," anyway? XD Especially in KH, where "there is darkness in every heart," including the heroes.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back