• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► The Anime & Manga Dumping Ground

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
CS: And we all have that original anime, it's there, nothing can sully it, so if you were going to do it in live-action one would hope you would bring something new to the table. What is it you are bringing specifically that is going to make it yours?

Collet-Serra: I hope that I can bring strong characters. In the original source material, I don't think the main characters are the protagonists. What I'm hoping is to bring characters.

CS: That's true. It's one of those strange stories where you literally never see the main character that is the namesake of the film!

Collet-Serra: Nobody's interesting. Tetsuo's interesting because weird sh*t happens to him, and Kaneda is so two-dimensional. That's part of the Japanese culture, they never have strong characters. They're used as a way to move the other philosophy forward.

Yeah, Collet can fuck off. Even if that was true about Akira, making blanket statements about the culture and the quality of their characters is just stupid. If he thinks his characters are gonna be strong, he's fooling himself.

Silh

Slippery People
Awards
About to start RahXephon. Found the entire box set (mint) at my local record store for a grand total of—wait for it—

seven bucks

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Prepare to feel like you just took all of the LSD.

On another note, Nagi no Asukara is hitting all the right notes for me (and in this recent episode, it hit a little too close). This could be PA Works best series.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Reading through Shaman King atm. I saw the anime as a kid (not the 4kids dub tho), so the series has always been pretty nostalgic for me. I had read the manga previously but only got up to a certain point and stopped for whatever reason. I plan on finishing this and seeing where it diverts from the anime, especially given how Takei has been able to publish a proper ending in the kanzenban after all this time.

I do recommend the series to people: the characters are pretty unique for a shounen series (Yoh is pretty unique as far as shounen protags go given how chill he is) and it's good fun.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
I have a love-hate relationship with the series. There are days where I can't stand it, and there are days where I fondly reminisce about it.

I think today is the latter as I just squealed like a fangirl.

Now is the also the time to ask why Z is listed over the original Dragon Ball especially when Z is inferior to DB.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
I was figuring out how I wanted to list both of them (an issue that's occurring with multiple series, tbh).

That being said, at least for American audiences, DBZ is the more "important" show.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Kai is doing the Buu saga, huh?

I kinda wish they would of ended it at the end of the Android Saga since I thought it would have been the perfect ending. Oh well, I think I'll check it out just to see how different it is from the Z version.

Gram

Banned
Awards
New Dragon Ball Z Kai Anime Series to Premiere on April 6 - News - Anime News Network

Majin Buu time.

Also, I should start adding to the list again soon.
Woot SS3 time bby~

Kai is doing the Buu saga, huh?

I kinda wish they would of ended it at the end of the Android Saga since I thought it would have been the perfect ending. Oh well, I think I'll check it out just to see how different it is from the Z version.
If I remember right that was the original plan when Toriyama was writing it but extended it due to fan outcry or something like that.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
If I remember right that was the original plan when Toriyama was writing it but extended it due to fan outcry or something like that.

Nope. Kanzenshuu has debunked this.

Intended Endings Guide - Kanzenshuu

TLDR explanation:

Kanzenshuu said:
All-in-all, when you consider what we know about how Dragon Ball was actually made, the time frames and logistics involved, and the roles and habits of those who worked on it, none of these often elaborate and even conspiratorial ideas are likely or necessary in light of the boring truth that the series’ various quirks, loose ends, and ham-fisted plot devices can most easily be explained by the fact that it was drawn by an off-the-cuff artist who was continuously pushed along by the popularity of his creation and without any clear conception of exactly where or how it would all end.

Last edited:

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Anyone want some sexy Iwasaki OST?

[video=youtube;u4-XY8FRlM8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4-XY8FRlM8[/video]

Fun fact, Noragami is actually a good show.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
CRIMSONS: AKAI KOUKAISHATACHI

So this was an odd, yet interesting/enjoyable read. I mean, it's a 20 chapter manga about the life of a school of salmon yet I found it kinda compelling. There's also a B-Plot about a research student falling in love with her professor that's used for salmon info dumps, but it's cute. The philosophizing sea urchin parts always amused me too.

Idk, it was weird but I thought it was a good story.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
[video=youtube;9XaCsnyaolc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XaCsnyaolc[/video]

Key - YouTube

I'd forgotten all about this. It was apparently released at the end of January. I can't for the life of me figure out why it took so long, but whatever, it's amazing. Yasuharu combines his two styles into one OST, and it is so good~

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
tumblr_mztr4e3KnE1qhal0to2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mztr4e3KnE1qhal0to10_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mztr4e3KnE1qhal0to5_r1_1280.jpg

Even as butterflies ominously proliferate in town, the rumor of a mysterious creature lurking in the tunnel behind the school spreads among the children. When the body of Arié Kimura's mother is found by this tunnel's entrance, next to apparently human traces, the legend seems to be confirmed. Is the end of the world coming? In order to appease the wrath of the beast, the children decide to offer it a sacrifice: The unfortunate Arié, whom they believe to be the cause of the curse, is shoved into a well that leads to the Nijigahara tunnel — an act that in turns pushes Komatsuzaki, the budding thug who has carried a torch for Arié for a while already, entirely over the edge.

But this is only the beginning of the complex, challenging, obliquely told Nijigahara Holograph, which takes place in two separate timelines and involves the suicidal Suzuki; Higure, his stalkerish would-be girlfriend; their teacher Miss Sakaki, whose heavily bandaged face remains a mystery; and many more — brothers, sisters, parents, co-workers, teachers, aggressors and victims who are all inextricably linked to one another and all will eventually — ten years later — have to live with what they’ve done or suffered through.

Asano, whose Solanin was nominated for the 2009 Eisner and Harvey comics awards (and which was made into a feature film in 2010), delves into disturbing territory with this Lynchian horror story, told in his unnervingly crisp and detailed panels.

Info, purchase, and 29 page excerpt here.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Yeah Asano is honestly kind of brilliant. I don't remember much of Nijihara Holograph (not sure why, need to read it again), but I'd legitimately put Oyasumi Punpun up there with Berserk or Vagabond in terms of masterpiece status.

Back