• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

I think we can change things

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards
As far as actives go, we have like six...maybe seven. And half of them are semi active. So I would guess that some people need to step up their game if they want to get this section going.

/redundantiknow

Siren

brutally homeless and fluffy
Awards
I think that part of the problem is the huge, huge association that we--very obviously--have with Kingdom Hearts. New members are, generally, at the same age that we were when we first joined--around 13/15 or younger--and they're new to the idea that the internet is a good place to converse with, be challenged by, and connect with other people.

Didn't the main site used to have a 'From the Forums' section? I seem to remember that, but keep in mind that I don't check the main site too often. I don't see it there now, and I feel that that would be a great place to highlight the community, as opposed to just the KH aspect. Even if it's just a piece of writing that someone's done, or a tag that was made, it generates interest.

I'm off from college soon and my boss can only give me about 25 hours a week to work, so I'll have a fair amount of free time. I'm more than willing to donate that time to the site, proof-reading tutorials, writing my own for the writing section, etc.

Edit:

I also think that the idea of 'nobody tags anymore' may be focusing on the wrong problem. It's not that people aren't making tags--it's true, they aren't--it's that there's this notion that people should be posting tags, and if they don't have any, they don't have anything to post. I, personally, would love to see some more graphic design--websites, applications, posters, etc.

Stop thinking, 'how can we get people to post more tags' and start thinking, 'how can we get people to post what they're working on?'

Also, I recognize that this is primarily for the TM and DM sections, but creative writing has been in this weird sort of limbo where there are posts, but nobody is improving or giving real, thoughtful critique. =/

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
I stopped visiting because I never applied myself beyond this as a recreational task, and once that sense or recreation ceased, i stopped visiting. Those that are actually enhancing what they've touched base upon before going into higher levels of education, I can see still using these programs and posting every now and again. Aside from that, eventually indifference towards general graphic design just transforms into laziness.

Dry of the inspiration and motivation if you will.

Vossler

I'll Be His Successor
I think that we need to get something to the mods on getting the Sotw entry back on the front page cause that is something that I have missed for a very long time. I also agree with Siren, I don't really tag anymore, I am more into LP's and yeas we don't need to really support tagging, we just need to support whatever it is someone is trying to accomplish. I also agree about trying to get new members to open up, we have had new members come around that end up being really good at DM, but never stuck around, and I feel that we could do something to get them to stick around. Weather it be reform or reviving I think that this place can go somewhere. Well I think that we know what we want to do, now the real question is what are we going to do about getting it up and running.

Eric

Retired.
Awards
Website
discord.gg
Edit:

I also think that the idea of 'nobody tags anymore' may be focusing on the wrong problem. It's not that people aren't making tags--it's true, they aren't--it's that there's this notion that people should be posting tags, and if they don't have any, they don't have anything to post. I, personally, would love to see some more graphic design--websites, applications, posters, etc.

Stop thinking, 'how can we get people to post more tags' and start thinking, 'how can we get people to post what they're working on?'

That's a little much I think. Like you said, new members here are usually between the ages of 13 and 15. I don't know of too many 13 or 15 year olds who are web designers, graphic artists, etc.

This is basically how the DM community progresses, imo. You come in just learning what tagging is all about (rarely do people come in knowing what they're doing). Once you've started to develop a style for tagging you either do one of two things:

1. Continue to pursue tagging as an art form/hobby

2. Explore other forms of art with the basic fundamentals learned through tagging

Those who go the number 2 route begin to start getting into other art forms such as traditional media, photography, graphic design, whatever. This is where the problem starts. The DM and TM communities are extremely limited in other art forms, despite the description they both have (How many animators are there in DM? Why aren't there any musicians posting in TM?). Just think of the average content posted in each section: tag, drawing, tag, drawing, tag, drawing. Occasionally you'll get people who'll post AMVs, animations, or crafts but what ever happens to those threads?

When people from here move on to more serious forms of art then they find it hard to be active here when nothing relates to that art form at all. Just look at all us 'old' members, who are all most likely pursuing art in some form other than tagging. Rarely do we post anything tag related because we've all moved on from that point. So why don't we post anything we're doing so far? Because it won't get the critique we're looking for.

I just think this is the main reason why people come and go here, because they move on. Unless we get the community to have a wider range of art forms other than just tagging then any attempt to revive this place is has a slim chance of success.

/negativenancy

HOWEVER

I do think that promoting the forum through the site is a good idea. If we can generate enough material to post on a regular basis then I feel we can develop CM as something separate from all of KH stuff.

EDIT: Let me say this too

I'm not against a revival here. I'm on here everyday, I'd like something to look forward to every time I come to DM. However the past revival attempts have failed to look at this in a different way. If we can stray away from the usual "This place is dead! Let's get SotW going again!" and start thinking of ways to attract a wider range of artists. I want to see DM live up to it's description:

Show off your digital creations here for your fellow DMers to rate and critique! Don't forget to participate in Sig of the Week!

Last edited:

Cloud

this guy are sick
Awards
to do list:

1. nag the admins to get sotw wiener on the bottom of the forum liek old tiems
2. hold sotw with kh as the theme and WORK TOGETHER to make it successful
3. make updates about it on the main page

Zook

you can never leave KHI
Awards
After reading all of your arguments and statements I have to agree with the majority of them and don't really have too much to add to them except a couple ideas.

- have an event/contest where people are able to create skins for the forum and submit them for use by everyone.
- encourage the entire KHI community to use sigs in their signatures rather than obnoxious .gifs and youtube vids. It should start with the most senior and influential members who should lead by example. I'm not suggesting you ban the use of videos and other items but rather start a trend so when they see that they are the big elephant in the room they will mix it up with something that looks nicer.

And I think the main reason revivals have fallen on their face in the past is due to fact that this is just a section in a larger forum which is primarily focused on video games, as has been mentioned. If you are really that serious and determined to create something new and exciting, that may mean starting your own forum outside of KHInsider. I know there are a thousands of forums out there that are focused on digital graphics and I have joined a few myself but I am not an active member there, I still am only active on this forum.

My two cents.
Oh and Sean I don't know if you got my last message but I made a different version of that sig,
200 OK

Vossler

I'll Be His Successor
After reading all of your arguments and statements I have to agree with the majority of them and don't really have too much to add to them except a couple ideas.

- have an event/contest where people are able to create skins for the forum and submit them for use by everyone.
- encourage the entire KHI community to use sigs in their signatures rather than obnoxious .gifs and youtube vids. It should start with the most senior and influential members who should lead by example. I'm not suggesting you ban the use of videos and other items but rather start a trend so when they see that they are the big elephant in the room they will mix it up with something that looks nicer.

And I think the main reason revivals have fallen on their face in the past is due to fact that this is just a section in a larger forum which is primarily focused on video games, as has been mentioned. If you are really that serious and determined to create something new and exciting, that may mean starting your own forum outside of KHInsider. I know there are a thousands of forums out there that are focused on digital graphics and I have joined a few myself but I am not an active member there, I still am only active on this forum.

My two cents.
Oh and Sean I don't know if you got my last message but I made a different version of that sig,
200 OK
When need to get in touch with the admins too and see that if the winners skin can actually get published, I think that would be a reward in itself. I do agree about the gif and videos, I think we should try and support tag use there. For someone like me who has a slow connection I don't even see the others gif or videos.

Siren

Awards
Apple Jaxx: I believe I said that the lack of critique is a problem; if anything will boost the community with minimum input from the 'higher-ups' it's maintaining an active community. Personally, while I'm willing to help with this, why would they even try to coordinate something along the lines of using the winner's skin, if there's only four entries?

Community>Management>Owner, in this instance.

Eric

Retired.
Awards
Website
discord.gg
Apple Jaxx: I believe I said that the lack of critique is a problem; if anything will boost the community with minimum input from the 'higher-ups' it's maintaining an active community. Personally, while I'm willing to help with this, why would they even try to coordinate something along the lines of using the winner's skin, if there's only four entries?

Community>Management>Owner, in this instance.

While it does help, I don't think actively critiquing is the main solution (we've tried this already). Like I was saying before, I really feel we need to expand on other art forms as well and appeal to a larger crowd.

Siren

Awards
>I, personally, would love to see some more graphic design--websites, applications, posters, etc.
>Stop thinking, 'how can we get people to post more tags' and start thinking, 'how can we get people to post what they're working on?'

lolwhat

Eric

Retired.
Awards
Website
discord.gg
Yeah but that's not easy since, you know everyone who does that stuff is no longer active here. Or if they are there's really no need to post it here because it will most likely get zero comments.

Cloud

this guy are sick
Awards
we might enter them if there was a decent theme. fruit isn't one of them.

Awards
I'm sorry if your lack of creativity is so extreme. The Signature of the Week has been about themes, but it's never been about the theme. It's about what you can accomplish under certain restrictions. If you're too blind to see that past that because you're too childish to try something beyond your regular style, then too bad.

Cloud

this guy are sick
Awards
i don't want an argument. but seriously, when people here are actually trying to think of ways to revive this place and you come in here with comments like:

Try actually participating in the SotW before you expect me to request it to be on the front page again.

it really doesn't help. it's very pessimistic. i'd imagine as one of the more veteran members of this section, and moderator, you'd want the best for the section.

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
btw we don't mind making someone staff if someone wants to take charge and can basically guarantee results, I would be very surprised if anyone stepped up to the plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back