• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Nintendo

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Will you be buying the Nintendo Switch at launch?

• Yes

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • No

Votes: 30 51.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 13 22.4%

• Total voters

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Re: Nintendo 3DS HANDS-ON VIDEO!!!

It should also be noted that, were it so simple, it would have been easy to demonstrate on a regular monitor.

loke13

Waiting on FF XV and KH3 :D

Don't see anything. Man I really want to get a 3ds now.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar

Here you can see exactly how it works. The 3D is in fact two images presented that separates for your eyes, but you have to be looking at it dead on from a straight angle.

And you of course have to be there.

The real treat here though is the booth babe. Hot damn!

khphantom97

Website
www.youtube.com
3DS?

Hey. I was just wondering where the 3DS falls in videogames generations. Is it included in the 7th generation, like how the PSPgo is to the PSO, as a new model. Or, is it the start of the 8th generation, like how the DS was to the GBA, a whole new console successor?

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Re: 3DS?

I would say it's the start of the next generation of handheld consoles, considering that it's the true successor to the DS, with far more advanced technological capabilities.

They may look similar but they aren't the same machine at all.

Blobbit

Awards

I would say it's the start of the next generation of handheld consoles, considering that it's the true successor to the DS, with far more advanced technological capabilities.

They may look similar but they aren't the same machine at all.
Agreed--this is a new generation. The 3DS looks like a DS and keeps some of its features, but includes MANY more features and much better specs.

Izayoi

galactic cancer

And as said at the conference, it seems like it was intended to just be a single screen. If we had that, like what was meant to be, we'd be saying it definetely next gen.

Blobbit

Awards

And as said at the conference, it seems like it was intended to just be a single screen. If we had that, like what was meant to be, we'd be saying it definetely next gen.
Really? I don't recall them saying it was supposed to be one screen. Do you have a video?

robertexe

First of all, there is no "popping out," and those of you who think that the tech of the 3DS is capable of that are bound for disappointment. If anything, it's more of a "popping in." To give you an idea:

What sets the 3DS apart from that is its ability to produce this effect without having to move the entire handheld itself. Instead, the moving models and camera give that "popping in" perception (and, plus, these models are 3D, compared to the 2D pop-up book styled effect seen in the video).

And I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to see this effect via video anyway.
But, yeah, as far as "popping out" 3D without glasses, we won't be seeing that for a while. That's a hologram.

That video there is a regular DSi playing a regular ds game meant to show depth, while the 3DS shows depth and popping out

Here's a video about some of the developers' comment on the 3DS:
YouTube - Nintendo 3DS: Developers' Comments - E3 2010

They're all well known developers. Even Kojima(Metal Gear Solid series) says you actually see it pop out the screen.

miiworld2

Awards

At least I'm happy that I got to attend E3 this year and checked out the 3DS. The 3D graphic is absolutely gorgeous! The graphic itself is like the Wii graphic. Stunning. I cannot wait to actually play it rather than just seeing the images as I did after the conference.

Too bad I had my cellphone as my camera, and it's not that good :(

Edit: I should post my first KH Birth by Sleep impressions from E3 but I'm not sure if I should since lots of people have been posting their own impressions and they won't care about mine. Ah well...

Bottom line: HAAAWT!!

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

Edit: I should post my first KH Birth by Sleep impressions from E3 but I'm not sure if I should since lots of people have been posting their own impressions and they won't care about mine. Ah well...

Go ahead and post it. :3

robertexe

At least I'm happy that I got to attend E3 this year and checked out the 3DS. The 3D graphic is absolutely gorgeous! The graphic itself is like the Wii graphic. Stunning. I cannot wait to actually play it rather than just seeing the images as I did after the conference.

Too bad I had my cellphone as my camera, and it's not that good :(

Bottom line: HAAAWT!!

Post it please! I'd love to hear about it and you can count on me reading it :)

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com

there's only one thing I don't like about the 3DS - the DS part. if it's a new consol let ous now by giving it a new name!
I actually think they should have kept "GameBoy" and call it Gameboy DS or something like that and this new one something totaly different like gameboy dimensions

miiworld2

Awards

there's only one thing I don't like about the 3DS - the DS part. if it's a new consol let ous now by giving it a new name!
I actually think they should have kept "GameBoy" and call it Gameboy DS or something like that and this new one something totaly different like gameboy dimensions

Why would they even keep the GameBoy? Why even bother keeping something old-fashioned like GameBoy when the market is always on demand for something new and fresh?

The Nintendo DS came out mainly because of its touch screen innovation and the feel of actually touching stuff in the game. And the DS is not gonna go away that easily because of its continuous success in the market, like the PlayStation and XBOX.

And because of that success, the 3DS was made to happen, and it promises to enhance the experience of touching with 3D graphics, to make it look like you're actually in the game.

And the 3DS is a brand-new hardware! Like PS3 is to PS2 and XBOX is to XBOX 360.

Post it please! I'd love to hear about it and you can count on me reading it :)

http://forums.khinsider.com/future-...010-impressions-spoiler-free.html#post5106841

Awards

Don't see anything. Man I really want to get a 3ds now.

Cross your eyes so that the two images overlay each other.

That video there is a regular DSi playing a regular ds game meant to show depth, while the 3DS shows depth and popping out

I know. Did you read my next post?

They're all well known developers. Even Kojima(Metal Gear Solid series) says you actually see it pop out the screen.

kamin.gif

Does the fireplace "pop out"? Yeah. But more so relative to the background than the actual screen.
I already corrected what I said earlier (that there is no popping out). Again, the vast majority of the depth perception will come from "popping in" rather than "popping out." Even Avatar used more depth-based 3D than popping out. Frankly, until we reach a stage in tech where it literally pops out (holograms), popping out is usually implemented as a pretty bad gimmick (see: any horror movie that throws shit at the screen). And with the 3DS's comparatively smaller screen, it would be much better to use depth-based over popping out (given that there'd be a very limited degree to which it could pop out, since the borders of the screen confine it) . Don't get me wrong, stereoscopic 3D is stereoscopic 3D, whether it pops in or out, but popping in is far better suited for the 3DS.

I just want to clarify that because the impression I'm getting from many people seems to be over hyped, as if this is hologram technology. The popping out will be limited. But that's not a bad thing because I do think this will provide a new level of immersion.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar

Grass, it just works as if you were watching a movie at the theater in 3D, except there are no glasses.
That's it. Movies at the theater have things pop out at you, as well as also have depth.

This technology has existed for a while. The parallex screen developed by Sharp separates an image for each eye (something that 3D glasses would normally do for you, but in this case the screen does it for you). This tech works best with handhelds.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/02/nintendo-3ds-to-feature-3-4-inch-sharp-parallax-barrier-display/

It's speculated that Nintendo is using Sharp's display.

In fact, Nikkei reported that the 3DS was using that panel. And Nikkei was right about every other report about the 3DS, and they are like never wrong anyway.

A parallax barrier is a device to allow a liquid crystal display to show a stereoscopic image without the need for the viewer to wear 3D glasses. Placed in front of the normal LCD, it consists of a layer of material with a series of precision slits, allowing each eye to see a different set of pixels, so creating a sense of depth through parallax.[1][2] A disadvantage of the technology is that the viewer must be positioned in a well defined spot to experience the 3D effect.[3] In addition to films and computer games, the technique has found uses in areas such as molecular modelling and airport security.[4] It is also being used for the navigation system in the 2010-model Range Rover, allowing the driver to view (for example) GPS directions, while a passenger watches a movie, and is used in the Nintendo 3DS hand-held game console[5]

Awards

I know, Dogen, hence why I said:
Don't get me wrong, stereoscopic 3D is stereoscopic 3D, whether it pops in or out

But, as I said, especially in consideration of the screen size, don't anticipate them utilizing much "popping out."
People are constantly equating 3D to just "popping out." In this very topic, people claimed that they saw "popping out" where there was none.
And the more I read about the hype behind the 3DS, the more I get the impression that people are mistaking it for hologram technology (which could "pop out" beyond the borders of the screen).

Back