• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► KH3 Critical Mode adds various QOL updates including save carry over, more photo slots

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Yesterday, Square Enix announced that Critical Mode will be arriving in Kingdom Hearts 3 as a free update for owners of the game. Details of the patch have been released by Square Enix, revealing a ton of quality of life updates being added to the game including the addition of checkmarks to allow you to know what you have synthesized in the Moogle Shop, item carry over including Keyblades into a new game file, and an additional 100 photo slots so players can take up to 200 photos with the Gummiphone.

Read the rest of the patch notes below:

- Critical mode added, can use new abilities
- Some enemy behavior changed
- You can check Frozen Slider minigame treasure from the mobile portal  (Gummiphone) or at the results screen
- Synthesis items you already synthesized will have checkmarks in Moogle Shop
- Game help messages added
- Various fixes

- When you start a "new game", you can bring over stuff like Keyblades from your clear save data
- Photo mode change, now you can store up to 200 photos
- Various fixes

Updates 1.04 and 1.05 will be releasing at different times today, but the scheduled release time for 1.04 in Japan will be 11:00am Japan Time. 

Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates on The World Ends With YouKingdom Hearts Union χ [Cross]Kingdom Hearts III and all things Kingdom Hearts

Last edited by a moderator:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I am so happy about the expansion of the photo slots. 100 was never enough.

Also the synthesis item checkmarks is going to make finishing the synthesis list waaaaay better. I would take a photo of what was in the list in the Gummiphone, then go back to the shop and compare my photo to what was in the shop. Then I'd make the appropriate edits on a spreadsheet.

SPREADSHEETS.

But the best part is essentially what amounts to a NG+. I was lamenting having gotten Ultima but no way to use it. Now we can all use Ultima from start to finish like badasses. <3 Thanks Nomura, Yasue, Osaka Team, everybody who lost sleep and weekend time.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
New Game + is a surprise. I figured those who wanted critical mode wouldn’t want the advantages new game + could provide since it, y’know, makes things easier but good for those who wanted it.

The quality of life changes are appreciated. The frozen slider and moogle synth details especially

Happyfunshineman

Awards
New Game + is a surprise. I figured those who wanted critical mode wouldn’t want the advantages new game + could provide since it, y’know, makes things easier but good for those who wanted it.

The quality of life changes are appreciated. The frozen slider and moogle synth details especially

The option is always nice. I think everyone plays the game a little differently. I’ve noticed a lot of people play level one proud with no upgrades, no equipment, no food. That’s just crazy too me, I just got done with my second level one proud playthough and I use all those things. I did find myself thinking though that its kind of cumbersome that I have to collect Keyblade materials with the gummi ship every time I do a level 1 play though. The option to carry upgrades over will really cut down on the time I spent destroying asteroids. Though your totally right, doing that will especially make the beginning of the game much easier.

Twilight Lumiair

Awards

This pretty much. I'm looking forward to a fresh experience with the title gameplay wise, and I'm curious to see how they handled the enemy AI this time around. New game + is always welcome for me.

Awards
Finally. I can rewatch the cutscenes with Sora wielding each world's respective Keyblade, just like in the trailers! But first, I'm gonna wait for the story updates to finish and just do an Ultima Weapon run. I imagine all the Keyblades will be set to Lv. 0, but if my calculations are right, the Ultima Weapon will still outclass almost every Keyblade with its +8 Strength and +8 Magic; every Keyblade gets +5 in each stat from Lv. 0 to Lv. 10, alternating between +1, by my calculations. Unless, of course, a Lv. 0 Ultima Weapon is actually weaker than any of the other Lv. 0 Keyblades, and raises its stats by +2 to make it the strongest. Wouldn't that be a treat?

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
If New Game + applies to the other modes (which, I would think it would), I'm almost finished with my Proud Mode playthrough. I'd love to be able to start Crit on a high note.

Also, yeees to the checkmarks. I was buying / synthing two of everything (and only equipping 1), because I got so tired of toggling from this menu to that menu, just to see if I'd crafted/bought a specific item.

And yes, gd, there needed to be more photo slots. The Hidden Mickeys themselves take up 100 spaces. This will do quite nicely.

Glad this update is more than just a Critical update. I don't know if I would have wanted to hop back in otherwise.

Obiewantsanipod

So just so we're clear, I can carry over my ultima weapon? I am NOT going through those flans again.

TheZX

Awards
Sooo do we have to wait til like 10 p.m est? Or til the next day? Or even longer cuz there's no mention of an english release?!😱

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Sooo do we have to wait til like 10 p.m est? Or til the next day? Or even longer cuz there's no mention of an english release?!😱

The English release is today, but the time is unknown. It is likely to happen around the same time as the Japan release.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I’m really curious what the new abilities are. Sounds like a lot of work went into this update. I’m very thankful for the hard work the team must have put in. Must be hard to keep working on a game after release.
They have had six months to work on it and they gave up their weekends so fans can get critical mode today. We should all be very appreciative of what the team at Osaka have done and sacrificed for us.

okhi12

Awards
I was hoping to play critical this afternoon, but 11:00 in japan is 4:00 am in CEST time. I'll have to wait a bit more and play tomorrow... Maybe the 1.05 update will also be released by then.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
They have had six months to work on it and they gave up their weekends so fans can get critical mode today. We should all be very appreciative of what the team at Osaka have done and sacrificed for us.

In addendum, no one should feel obligated to shut up like it because the teams were worked under ridiculous practices. They have had many years to make the game in the first place. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
When you all go to see Endgame, please tell the theater staff that they are shit for working overtime shifts because they knew Endgame was coming out eventually so they should have kept the theaters clean anyways.

Back