• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Recap: KINGDOM HEARTS 3 Stage Show at TGS 2018

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

The KINGDOM HEARTS 3 Stage Show was held on September 22 at the Tokyo Game Show. Hosted by comedian Kirin's AKIRA kawashima, Co-Director Tai Yasue and Series Director Tetsuya Nomura joined voice actors Miyu Irino (Sora) and Megumi Toyoguchi (Aqua) to discuss the Kingdom Hearts series and long-awaited Kingdom Hearts 3. They also showed off the Disney Tsum Tsum collaboration, participated in a Q&A corner and revealed several new surprises for fans to look forward to.

Thanks to goldpanner, you can read a detailed summary of the stage show!

Introductions

• Host makes fun of Irino because he went to the public toilet and it seemed nobody recognized him
  • Nomura (offscreen) participated as "voice from the heavens"
  • Irino loves games and says TGS is exciting. Toyoguchi expresses pity for the people who lined up forever
  • Irino came in 'Kingdom' accessories, showing off his ring and necklace
  • Irino seemed surprised at how many games there are now
  • Nomura says he knew he'd made a good game when he made KH1 but he didn't imagine it'd become the franchise it has
  • Irino was in middle school (2nd year) when he did KH1. He was in high school (2nd year) when he did KH2. He thinks you can hear how his own acting and way of speaking changes as he grows, and as Sora grows. He's never done another character for that long (16 years). He loves KH and it feels like a record of his own growth
  • Toyoguchi played Paine in KH2 so she'd already been involved in the series but getting to do a completely original character was really exciting
  • Yasue lists the games he's worked on. He says those days were like hell. The others make fun of him for being negative and tell him to share happy memories

KH Series Discussion

• Host says the story has become pretty complicated and asks Nomura to give a quick explanation. Nomura says "Yeah...... that's impossible" and they all crack up like "YOU have given up??" Nomura explains it's because the story has been going for more than ten years so it's not really something he can explain in a few words anymore.
  • He recommends people to watch the 'Stories connecting to KH3' videos. Irino says the videos got him hyped and he wants to play even more after watching them
  • Nomura on the Dark Seeker Saga: It's called that because we've basically been fighting the same guy, Xehanort, this entire time but with different faces
  • Irino and Toyoguchi worry about whether the end of this part will mean a new main character. Irino says fans ask him but he doesn't know what to say and begs Nomura for a comment. Nomura says KH won't end, and although Xehanort will be finished with, Sora won't be. But they'll talk about that later, since KH3 isnt even out yet. Irino is happy he still has work. he doesn't want the story to end.

Kingdom Hearts 3

• Yasue talks about the battle system: Keyblade Transformations based on worlds, and shows off big flashy finisher moves
  • Since you can move around a lot, it gives the action a bigger scale
  • Keyblade can transform into all sorts of things, such as a flag (Pirates Keyblade: Rudder of Fate). The Big Hero 6 Keyblade (Nano Gear) is made of cubes
  • Toyoguchi gets goosebumps from the Frozen transformation (Keyblade is named Crystal Snow)
  • They talk about Attraction Flow, which is based off of various Disney rides. They wanted to bring the thrill of park rides to the game
  • Yasue says they made sure to depict the characters enjoying the rides so please check it out
  • Marshmallow (Frozen) starts out as your enemy but becomes your friend
  • For Monsters Inc. they decided to go with a comical style of link attacks which is why Mike becomes a bowling ball
  • Irino had to make different action voice effects for every single world
  • The Meow Wow link started out with just the one Dream Eater, but Nomura wanted more which is why so many appeared in the finisher
  • Characters like Simba attacks even affect the ground, etc.
  • Yasue bemoans how many variations there are and how hard it is and they laugh at him again
  • Gummi Ship is more open world. You can collect materials and upgrade your ship, there are 20-30 staff working on the Gummi stuff
  • Classic Kingdom is based off nostalgic games from Nomura's childhood. except his parents wouldn't get them for him. Irino and the host joke that this is his chance at a do-over, he's making them for himself now
  • You can play them now on Union Cross, where you can get a good Keyblade to use in KH3
  • You can collect ingredients and cook stuff for upgrades, Remy is a French rat so you'll usually be cooking French stuff like flambe
  • They play the new video that Nomura reiterates is NOT a trailer, or part of the opening. it's a scene from the game with Sora and Aqua because the voice actors are there. Sora fights evil Aqua. The two of them recorded their lines separately, so to them, it feels like it's the first time they've seen it for real.
  • The host scolds Nomura and says it's shocking. Nomura is like "yeah sorry for the disappointing vibe to that scene but I can't show more because of spoilers"

Disney Tsum Tsum

• The host jokes about Irino and Toyoguchi playing Disney Tsum Tsum to make up and be friends again and they protest that they're not enemies in real life. Kairi and Aqua were recently added to Tsum Tsum
  • Irino has the Sora and Riku Tsums
  • Toyoguchi got Aqua, says she's super strong
  • Quiz: Who appears in Kairi's Tsum skill, Sora or Riku? The answer is Sora. Irino kind of thought both but it was Sora
  • Quiz: What line does Aqua Tsum say? Answer: My name is Master Aqua! (Toyoguchi got it wrong)
  • They then have to play and if they get over a certain number then they get free coins
  • The Aqua Tsum is insanely powerful
  • They laughed at Toyoguchi's screaming as she played because it wasn't very Aqua-like (Help me!!)
  • Irino yelling "Help me, Sora!"
  • Irino: "I never thought I'd sweat playing Tsum Tsum." Toyoguchi laughs at him for sweating so much

Q&A Corner

• How old are Terra, Aqua, Ventus and Xehanort? 
    • Terra: about 20
    • Aqua: about 18
    • Ventus: about 16
    • Young Xehanort: about 18-20
    • Master Xehanort: about 80
  • To Irino: Who is harder, Sora or Vanitas? What do you pay attention to? It was a bit hard getting into playing Sora while his voice was breaking and he was just turning 20 but not any more. He enjoys becoming Sora and doesn't find it hard. Vanitas isn't hard either, he just goes the opposite of sora. Now that he's used to modulating his voice higher, he just pays attention to being bright and cheerful
  • To Toyoguchi: the scene that left her with the biggest impression was the scene with Ven and Terra under the stars. It felt warm and gentle to her.
  • To Yasue: Will there be multi-player/online stuff for KH3? Yasue blames Nomura for not replying to his questions about it. Nomura says we gotta focus on what we are doing now and then come back to this later.
  • Is there a secret movie in KH3? Nomura says yes, but he doesn't want spoilers to appear on the internet so he is trying to think of a way to release the movie in a different way than usual, such as DLC, so that everyone can watch it together 

Promotions ETC

• They talk about Union Cross and accidentally called it Uniqlo
  • They're pushing the Starlight bonus for KH3, whiich players can get by playing Classic Kingdom
  • There will also be an event at the Tokyo Sky Tree, which will be held at the 450 meter deck.
  • There's also limited edition lottery goods available at 7-11
  • There's also a fashion collaboration going on with Super Groupies, with clothes based after characters. The image only depicts the Sora-themed outfit, but there's more than just him and everyone laughs at how the silhouettes give them away
  • You can get a bonus notebook if you buy stuff in the Square Enix store
  • Nomura loves the new song (Chikai). The song is on Utada's new album 'Hatsukoi', so be sure to get it
  • There will be 3 regular editions (PS4, and preorder DLC for Xbox and PS4 which come with Keyblades (Phantom Green and Midnight Blue), plus the limited editions with Toy Box figurines. There are preorder bonuses for buying from 7-11, Amazon and the Square Enix store
  • They ask Nomura if the release date is really okay and tease him about it

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Nano Gear, Rudder of Fate, and Crystal Snow. Looks like all the new keyblades up to now are named :)

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
so we wrong sora and aqua voice actors reaction this it was there first seeing it as well

Leaferian

Awards
Oooh. The most attention-catching thing out of this for me is that Irino says he had to record new action lines for every world. That sounds like the individual battle sounds, which would cut waaaaaay down on the repetitive nature of listening to combat. Perhaps they'll even record different voice lines for combo finishers? That would be such a nifty touch.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Since Nomura confirmed that the scene with Sora and Aqua happens in the game, that would mean Sora himself isnt a "placeholder" right?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Since Nomura confirmed that the scene with Sora and Aqua happens in the game, that would mean Sora himself isnt a "placeholder" right?

It could be true, but the one thing that people seem to forget is that Nomura lies.

Wait, people thought it was a placeholder?

note to self, add Sora's seiyu to come to the US cons

Not many of us think Sora is the one meant for that scene, mostly because of how his reflection isn't there most of the time, and the abrupt nature of the cutscene. I still believe it is a marketing red herring.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
It could be true, but the one thing that people seem to forget is that Nomura lies.

Not many of us think Sora is the one meant for that scene, mostly because of how his reflection isn't there most of the time, and the abrupt nature of the cutscene. I still believe it is a marketing red herring.

Honestly I'm hoping Sora isn't a placeholder. He needs to be the one to fight and save Aqua as was foreshadowed when he picked up Master Keeper. And the opening as well.

mytomxxx

I'm okay with Sora fighting everyone ("don't need to save, but fight"), what I love in kh2 is that you can fight all the Org anyway. I would be kinda sad if you can't fight all of them.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Nomura on the Dark Seeker Saga: It's called that because we've basically been fighting the same guy, Xehanort, this entire time but with different faces.

What a meme-worthy analogy. Kingdom Hearts seems easier to explain if you look at it from Xehanort's perspective.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Honestly I'm hoping Sora isn't a placeholder. He needs to be the one to fight and save Aqua as was foreshadowed when he picked up Master Keeper. And the opening as well.
The thing is though, while I'm in no way against them fighting, "saving" doesn't mean "has to do everything". With the information we have, it comes off like Riku became useless so Sora can to save day because he's the main character.

If it turns out that's not the case and this is actually Sora diving into Aqua's heart in order to save her then that's fine, but their decision to show what they did put a bad taste in my mouth.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
On top of Nomura's comment: "yeah sorry for the disappointing vibe to that scene but I can't show more because of spoilers"

I just don't think what we were shown is the correct and full picture. Nomura thinks it is disappointing but everybody is actually just upset that they even showed it at all. Why show a pivotal moment like that and just be super casual about it? What are you playing at, Nomura?

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
On top of Nomura's comment: "yeah sorry for the disappointing vibe to that scene but I can't show more because of spoilers"

I just don't think what we were shown is the correct and full picture. Nomura thinks it is disappointing but everybody is actually just upset that they even showed it at all. Why show a pivotal moment like that and just be super casual about it? What are you playing at, Nomura?
when it comes to nomura it half truths when it comes to news

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
The thing is though, while I'm in no way against them fighting, "saving" doesn't mean "has to do everything". With the information we have, it comes off like Riku became useless so Sora can to save day because he's the main character.

If it turns out that's not the case and this is actually Sora diving into Aqua's heart in order to save her then that's fine, but their decision to show what they did put a bad taste in my mouth.

Thing is I didnt see Aqua kicking Riku's butt and breaking his keyblade as a sign he would be useless in KH3. More that saving Aqua would be more challenging then Mickey had originally planned. Plus even if Sora saves Aqua that doesnt mean Riku wont have stuff to do. He already has has character arc coming up involving his other half.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

Granted, this is coming from the guy who was surprised when we cared so much more about PotC's inclusion than Frozen's, and was confused why we were freaking out over Dark Aqua, so him being so casual about this like it's not a big deal doesn't surprise me.

ImVentus

Awards
Cool that they revealed the ages for BBS & Young MX. My 15 year old self was right about Ven being 16, yay!

So that's why there are so many Classic Mickey mini games, go figure.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I noticed this both while watching the show and reading through goldpanner's summary, but Nomura is surprisingly chipper during this panel.

Poor Yasue lol. Being Co-Director must be really tough, especially considering all the requests Nomura makes of him.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
For Monsters Inc. they decided to go with a comical style of link attacks which is why Mike becomes a bowling ball
Months ago I was excited about this being a link but people were telling me it was obviously a cutscene but that scene was here, shown in a link trailer and confirmed by the panel :D

Wait, people thought it was a placeholder?
It was a long shot, but there was plenty about it which just seemed off when compared to other footage.

Megavoltage

Awards
Pretty interesting stuff!

I imagined Aqua being 16 or 17 and Terra 17 or 18. Nice to finally know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back