• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► UPDATE: Xbox Japan's listing for Kingdom Hearts III reappears online

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

UPDATE (9/14/2016): The listing has returned online under a new URL, showing it was just an error.

Thanks to @bKvEBVAvUq on Twitter, it has been discovered that the Xbox Japan listing for Kingdom Hearts III has vanished online. When attempting to visit the page, an error message appears showing that the page does not exist.

Searching for Kingdom Hearts III on Xbox Japan's website only brings up the link for the now defunct game page. The original listing for Kingdom Hearts III on Xbox Japan's website is still viewable through cache.

Kingdom Hearts III is also still listed on Xbox Japan's release schedule, although the page appears to not be updated frequently.  

There are a number of reasons as to why the page may have vanished, including the page accidentally being taken down or given a new location on the website, but there is also the possibility it was removed on purpose.

Kingdom Hearts III was announced before the start of this latest console generaton Xbox One when it was unknown how well the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 would sell among console gamers. Sales of the Xbox One in Japan have been very weak since its launch two years ago, with lifetime sales at less than 70000 sold. Microsoft's flagship gaming console barely sold 52 consoles last week in Japan, down from 56 sales the week before. 

At this point in time, though, it remains unknown why the page has vanished and if it'll reappear.

Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on FacebookTwitter, and Tumblr for the latest updates on Kingdom Hearts Unchained X, Kingdom Hearts 3, Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue and all things Kingdom Hearts! Visit our forums and discuss all of the latest news!

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Re: Xbox Japan's listing for Kingdom Hearts III vanishes online

btw i'm like refreshing the page constantly. to be fair the page having been up so early was odd to begin with when other games didn't have it. not to mention things have been slowly shifting to microsoft.com or whatever.

on the other hand, why would they even bother releasing the game in japan when nobody has an xbox one over there lol

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

There is a single xbox one owner over there. Thats how it got its name.

And i really cant say its bad news. Would make more sense to reevaluate releasing the series down the line.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

just keep in mind this 99% is probably an error

Yeah i know but i dont care either way lol. If they drop xbone then we might get touchpad support

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards

On the other hand, why would they even bother releasing the game in japan when nobody has an xbox one over there lol

Pretty sure Square Enix initially wanted Kingdom Hearts III on Xbox One during its unveiling, because, they expected the Xbox One to do Xbox 360 numbers. Truth be told, Kingdom Hearts III hasn't even started the porting process yet so this isn't even that major of a loss.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

Pretty sure Square Enix initially wanted Kingdom Hearts III on Xbox One during its unveiling, because, they expected the Xbox One to do Xbox 360 numbers. Truth be told, Kingdom Hearts III hasn't even started the porting process yet so this isn't even that major of a loss.

Even the Xbox 360 did not really do very well in Japan. Microsoft consoles never do.
The only two reasons they probably considered KH III for a Microsoft console in the first place were that a) they didn't expect the PS4 to get that popular and soar over the Xbox sales-wise, they were expecting a more close run like the PS3 had and b) Microsoft was waving with coffers full of money.

SE also needed to cover the losses they had with the original FF XIV and if I recall correctly the so-called "Lightning saga", namely FF XIII-2 and Lightning Returns, were only made so that the Crystal/White engine would at least bring back in the investment they had made into it and allow to reuse assets instead of having to develop something entirely new, again cutting costs.

As for this one here, I expect it to be an error although I am a little surprised Xbox even has a site in Japan when they apparently only sold around 10.000 consoles there at all.

Sorakh212

Awards

Wonder why that is. Perhaps it's a bug or an error of some sort. I wouldn't be surprised if they're not porting KH3 to Xbox One especially in Japan though. I know that PS4 sales haven't been all that great over there, and oddly enough was one of the incentives behind remaking FFVII so that more people over there would buy a PS4 due to lackluster sales, either but Xbox One hardly sells at all over there it seems. I still think they jumped the gun a bit as far as announcements go and what not not only just for having KH3 ported to both current gen consoles but also the game announcement itself. I'm sure someone will clear things up soon though. I mean is there even that big of a demand for KH3 on Xbox One? Most people I know will be getting it for PS4.

sonic174

I mean is there even that big of a demand for KH3 on Xbox One? Most people I know will be getting it for PS4.

Using most people you know as a test for if people want something, that's never good science.

I could say "is there even demand for this on PS4? As everyone I know is getting it for Xbox One." Which is true, all my friends that own both systems, they happen to be getting it on XBO.

I don't own a PS4, as I always buy Sony systems a few years from the end of the cycle. So if Square comes out and drops Xbox One, wel I'll be pissed. Even more so after they outright told us user "Naw, you don't need 2.8, it's not even important to KH3. You won't miss anything by not playing it". Which is funny, as that's not how Namura speaks of 2.8.

If FF15 sells well and Square drops all their JRPG from releasing on Xbox One, I know I'll be done supporting all of their games on any platform.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards

i alway get kh on sony becuase that system has beeen alway the sytem for kingdom hearts ever since the kingdom hearts i understand for people getting kh3 on xbox one but those people who aren't getting 2.8 will not know what going in kh3 since nomura already stated 2.8 is part of kh3'

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

If this wasn't an error, do keep in mind this would be something in Japan only. The XB1 has only sold around 65k units there (I rounded up to "less than 70k" in the article because there are no firm numbers anywhere) so it would make sense to drop support in Japan.

It wouldn't make sense to drop support in the rest of the world where there are significantly more sales of the console.

But again this may just be an error.

Sonic174, ever since FFXV and KH3 were announced for XB1/PS4, all of their other Japanese titles have been PS4/Vita exclusives so I don't really expect SE to release more game on XB1.

Last edited:

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards

If this wasn't an error, do keep in mind this would be something in Japan only. The XB1 has only sold around 650k units there (I rounded up to "less than 700k" in the article because there are no firm numbers anywhere) so it would make sense to drop support in Japan.

It wouldn't make sense to drop support in the rest of the world where there are significantly more sales of the console.

But again this may just be an error.

Sonic174, ever since FFXV and KH3 were announced for XB1/PS4, all of their other Japanese titles have been PS4/Vita exclusives so I don't really expect SE to release more game on XB1.
they could do an ffxiii tyle of deal in japan where world wide it came for xobox and ps3 while japan only got it for ps3

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

they could do an ffxiii tyle of deal in japan where world wide it came for xobox and ps3 while japan only got it for ps3

It would make sense, yes..

Even the Xbox 360 did not really do very well in Japan. Microsoft consoles never do.
The only two reasons they probably considered KH III for a Microsoft console in the first place were that a) they didn't expect the PS4 to get that popular and soar over the Xbox sales-wise, they were expecting a more close run like the PS3 had and b) Microsoft was waving with coffers full of money.

SE also needed to cover the losses they had with the original FF XIV and if I recall correctly the so-called "Lightning saga", namely FF XIII-2 and Lightning Returns, were only made so that the Crystal/White engine would at least bring back in the investment they had made into it and allow to reuse assets instead of having to develop something entirely new, again cutting costs.

As for this one here, I expect it to be an error although I am a little surprised Xbox even has a site in Japan when they apparently only sold around 10.000 consoles there at all.

70k, not 10k xD (more accurately is like 65k or less...)

Last edited:

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards

*sighs* It's not like I bought the Xbox One myself that's currently sitting untouched in a corner of my house, but it's kind of disheartening for me to hear this kind of news. It would've been nice to not have to invest in another console after believing it'd be on two different platforms. (Even though, I'm debating on getting a PS4 for FFVII: Remake anyways.) I know it's always been between Nintendo and Playstation, but c'mon. There will be tons of disappointed fans besides myself when they hear this happened, and fear they won't have it release in the West on two different platforms because Japan is dropping it. I know I should take this with a grain of salt but it still sucks to hear it though. (And this reminds me about the PS3, how it'd be on that, except being told years later it's going to be on a better engine. Which is good, cause KHIII looks fantastic on the PS4, but again, kind of screwing fans over. I know, I know, I only have myself to blame for being screwed over that time.) However, if they're going to screw fans over then don't tell us anything about what system it's going to be on until it officially releases. (I know that's unrealistic though.) I don't think we can handle more disappointment as it is.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

*sighs* It's not like I bought the Xbox One myself that's currently sitting untouched in a corner of my house, but it's kind of disheartening for me to hear this kind of news. It would've been nice to not have to invest in another console after believing it'd be on two different platforms. (Even though, I'm debating on getting a PS4 for FFVII: Remake anyways.) I know it's always been between Nintendo and Playstation, but c'mon. There will be tons of disappointed fans besides myself when they hear this happened, and fear they won't have it release in the West on two different platforms because Japan is dropping it. I know I should take this with a grain of salt but it still sucks to hear it though. (And this reminds me about the PS3, how it'd be on that, except being told years later it's going to be on a better engine. Which is good, cause KHIII looks fantastic on the PS4, but again, kind of screwing fans over. I know, I know, I only have myself to blame for being screwed over that time.) However, if they're going to screw fans over then don't tell us anything about what system it's going to be on until it officially releases. (I know that's unrealistic though.) I don't think we can handle more disappointment as it is.

This wouldn't be the first time support of a game was dropped in Japan or just plain not even released on a Microsoft console while being sold on one in the rest of the world. If this ends up meaning something beyond a simple error, it'd likely only apply to Japan since its a deader than dead console. Even the Wii U sells more than XB1 rofl

It's obvious that in other parts of the world the XB1 does have plenty of support, so it wouldn't make sense for SE to drop all support if they were to drop support in Japan.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards

This wouldn't be the first time support of a game was dropped in Japan or just plain not even released on a Microsoft console while being sold on one in the rest of the world. If this ends up meaning something beyond a simple error, it'd likely only apply to Japan since its a deader than dead console. Even the Wii U sells more than XB1 rofl

It's obvious that in other parts of the world the XB1 does have plenty of support, so it wouldn't make sense for SE to drop all support if they were to drop support in Japan.

If that's the case, then there may be hope for me yet. C: I don't play as many games as I used to, therefore, I'm not really aware of any other games dropping in Japan, or being continued overseas on different platforms because, I've become more picky over the years. And I can see I was a bit hasty here with my brief ranting of disappointment. (xD) I always thought Japan had the most say in what happens to their games in other countries, or what platforms they go on.

So I can understand if they made it more exclusive for PS4 in Japan for those reasons alone, but I'd love to see SE to continue to support us and give us the best of both worlds here in the West. And listen to the fans as well. Therefore, I'll hold onto what optimism I have left in hopes for KHIII being on XB1. And if not... I can live with that and still buy the game regardless. lol.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com

...I feel like this isn't going to sit well with some people.

Like my friend Michael, for instance. He's probably more of a casual KH fan (though unlike most casuals, he's actually played KH1, CoM and some of Re:CoM, KH2, Days, parts of BbS, and parts of DDD), but he's been eagerly awaiting KHIII like everyone else on the planet has.

And though he bought/had the systems to play all the other KH games, when I told him that KHIII was going to be for PS4 and X-Box One, he said that even though it would be weird playing a KH game on X-Box, he thought he was going to do exactly that (because in trying to be a responsible adult, he can't really justify buying a PS4 when most of the games he plays are for X-Box).

And now that that option's off the table for him, I can't imagine him being too happy about it.

What a mess.

Though maybe he will actually buy a PS4 now because of the FFVII Remake that he wants to play. I hadn't thought about that. I should ask him.

But ANYWAY, if some people are upset about this I can totally understand why. I don't really blame Square at all (because they had no idea which console would sell the best this generation, tbh), but it all really is unfortunate.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards

...I feel like this isn't going to sit well with some people.

Like my friend Michael, for instance. He's probably more of a casual KH fan (though unlike most casuals, he's actually played KH1, CoM and some of Re:CoM, KH2, Days, parts of BbS, and parts of DDD), but he's been eagerly awaiting KHIII like everyone else on the planet has.

And though he bought/had the systems to play all the other KH games, when I told him that KHIII was going to be for PS4 and X-Box One, he said that even though it would be weird playing a KH game on X-Box, he thought he was going to do exactly that (because in trying to be a responsible adult, he can't really justify buying a PS4 when most of the games he plays are for X-Box).

And now that that option's off the table for him, I can't imagine him being too happy about it.

What a mess.

Though maybe he will actually buy a PS4 now because of the FFVII Remake that he wants to play. I hadn't thought about that. I should ask him.

But ANYWAY, if some people are upset about this I can totally understand why. I don't really blame Square at all (because they had no idea which console would sell the best this generation, tbh), but it all really is unfortunate.
if this this is real i would think is for japan only since it xbox one sales are not good in japan it owuld be like a ff xii tyle of deal so i wouldn't worry about being pulled for xbox one in other contries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back