• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Young Xehanort's motives/role in KH3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

burned.toast

So I was reading up on the interviews and watching the KH3D cut scenes. YX's ears aren't completely pointed like Saïx's and Xigbar's are, so maybe he hasn't completely fallen into darkness yet at that point in time? I also notice that his voice actor (nice interview, by the way) was requested to not sound too evil. Unless I missed it somewhere, what're his true motives?
Maybe in the climax of KH3, he'll receive some kind of speech-therapy from Sora and will turn on Master Xehanort in the final battle or something...?
What're your thoughts?

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I don't think he has any ulterior motive aside from serving xehanort. Though I would like to see him get development in kh3. Fleshing out his younger self could give xehanort some depth

ShinobiMuramasa

So I was reading up on the interviews and watching the KH3D cut scenes. YX's ears aren't completely pointed like Saïx's and Xigbar's are, so maybe he hasn't completely fallen into darkness yet at that point in time? I also notice that his voice actor (nice interview, by the way) was requested to not sound too evil. Unless I missed it somewhere, what're his true motives?
Maybe in the climax of KH3, he'll receive some kind of speech-therapy from Sora and will turn on Master Xehanort in the final battle or something...?
What're your thoughts?

I had considered something like this too, but upon further thought I don't think it's too likely. Given how time-travel works, Young Xehanort turning on himself would mean that he would knowingly commit himself to a path of decades of evil just to end in failure. He cannot take any actions that would drastically affect the past. So he wouldn't be able to undo any of the damage he caused throughout the series and he would just return to his own time with no memory of these events just to go down the same path again. Logically it would make much more sense for him to commit fully his future selves' cause because otherwise he is doomed to failure and a change of heart wouldn't undo any of the wrongs that he caused.

Gram

Banned
Awards
I dont see YX changing his ways because of a sora speech. He may be young and not nearly as dark or evil yet but he is still Xehanort in one of his purest forms.

Though I would like a bit of insight on him.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Unless I missed it somewhere, what're his true motives?
What're your thoughts?
I think the idea is that Xehanort is what Riku might have become if he hadn't had Sora and Kairi. Like Riku, Young Xehanort wished to see other worlds, and he desired (and eventually obtained) the power to do so. And as he learned more about the nature of the Worlds, his obsession with power grew, and he became infatuated with the darkness, and no one was there to check him before he wrecked himself (except Eraqus, and we know just how persuasive that guy is). With Xehanort, it's not really a question of motivation, it's more a fault of character-- he became bad because he was exposed to bad things, and they corrupted him.

So you didn't miss anything: no, Young Xehanort has no particular reason to be on board with his future self's plan, he just is, because he has to be, because Young Xehanort is a plot device. For that reason, I find it unlikely he'll have any change of heart-- he's pretty much just evil for the sake of being evil. And his reason for being in KH3 is the same as DDD: to ensure that all that evilness comes to pass.

Personally, I hope he's the first boss we kill so we can move on to actual characters like Braig, Isa and Master Xehanort.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I think the idea is that Xehanort is what Riku might have become if he hadn't had Sora and Kairi. Like Riku, Young Xehanort wished to see other worlds, and he desired (and eventually obtained) the power to do so. And as he learned more about the nature of the Worlds, his obsession with power grew, and he became infatuated with the darkness, and no one was there to check him before he wrecked himself (except Eraqus, and we know just how persuasive that guy is). With Xehanort, it's not really a question of motivation, it's more a fault of character-- he became bad because he was exposed to bad things, and they corrupted him.

So you didn't miss anything: no, Young Xehanort has no particular reason to be on board with his future self's plan, he just is, because he has to be, because Young Xehanort is a plot device. For that reason, I find it unlikely he'll have any change of heart-- he's pretty much just evil for the sake of being evil. And his reason for being in KH3 is the same as DDD: to ensure that all that evilness comes to pass.

Personally, I hope he's the first boss we kill so we can move on to actual characters like Braig, Isa and Master Xehanort.

lol, i think its safe to assume that he will be sticking around until the final battle in the keyblade graveyard

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
lol, i think its safe to assume that he will be sticking around until the final battle in the keyblade graveyard

YX seems to have overtaken Ansem SoD and Xemnas in terms of importance in DDD, it's like he was MX's lieutenant. He might be one of the first few villains to be fought, but I doubt he'll get killed right then. Highly likely, he would have to be fought again for the final time in the Keyblade Graveyard.

I'm now curious. If YX died, what would happen to the other Xehanorts? He's the most "past" of Ansem SoD, Xemnas, and MX, so would they disappear from existence?

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
YX seems to have overtaken Ansem SoD and Xemnas in terms of importance in DDD, it's like he was MX's lieutenant. He might be one of the first few villains to be fought, but I doubt he'll get killed right then. Highly likely, he would have to be fought again for the final time in the Keyblade Graveyard.

I'm now curious. If YX died, what would happen to the other Xehanorts? He's the most "past" of Ansem SoD, Xemnas, and MX, so would they disappear from existence?
young xehanort was were it all started. since he is the first one if he were to die, then all of the other xehanorts would cease to exist

Zven

Seriously who has "died" in the series so far? We still have Ansem, Xemnas, Maleficient... they just keep coming back.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
If Young Xehanort "died" in battle he would most likely just fade back into his own time period, so the other Xehanort's would be completely unaffected.
YX does not belong into the present time, thus is displaced, thus cannot be "killed" per se.

---

I beg to differ about the Riku Replica. While it may seem that he's gone for good and no one remembers him, the Chronicle of "Chain of Memories" in DDD speaks a different language:
Chronicles said:
Before Riku could reach Naminé, he was confronted by the Riku replica. The real Riku won out, and the replica seemingly vanished.

They keep it ambigious, and as Swoosh pointed out, he could be one of the Thirteen seekers.

Keeping that all in mind, it cannot be said for sure that the Replica is gone for good, also in hindsight of the fact that he had a heart and while hearts can be injured or vanish, they apparently can never be vanquished for good as memories are immortal.

Draxem

Website
www.taystrippedbear.com
The way I interpreted his speech on time travel, "another version of you must be at the destination", it has to literally be a different version of himself, hence why Xehanort didn't simply get a younger self that could already wield a keyblade. So my theory is that something dark happened to Xehanorts heart at some point before BBS that we haven't seen yet that differentiates him from his younger incarnation, who notably can NOT wield a Keyblade. Alternatively fitting with my interpretation, his reincarnation at the defeat of his nobody and heartless could have simply been the heart changing process that made him another "version" of himself, which would make room for him to grab the BBS version of himself (or really any version of himself when he could wield but this is just an exaggeration of how far he could go if he pleased) to the present, although that is batshit insane and unlikely. I sincerely doubt the latter theory is true though.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I beg to differ about the Riku Replica. While it may seem that he's gone for good and no one remembers him, the Chronicle of "Chain of Memories" in DDD speaks a different language:

They keep it ambigious, and as Swoosh pointed out, he could be one of the Thirteen seekers.

Keeping that all in mind, it cannot be said for sure that the Replica is gone for good, also in hindsight of the fact that he had a heart and while hearts can be injured or vanish, they apparently can never be vanquished for good as memories are immortal.
I'm taking the facts we currently have and not going off the ambiguity of the passage.

I want Repliku back though, because it's terrible he's currently the only KH original character to disappear for real. KH is about hope so it makes sense for characters to get second chances.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I'm taking the facts we currently have and not going off the ambiguity of the passage.

I want Repliku back though, because it's terrible he's currently the only KH original character to disappear for real. KH is about hope so it makes sense for characters to get second chances.

I see, although even if we go by the facts we currently have, do those really say/confirm that he's gone for good or is that just what everyone fandom-wide assumes?
Because in-universe apparently no one (literally) gives a damn about Riku Replica and he's never referenced, mentioned or brought up (except in one passing comment by Riku in DDD which only Dream-Jiminy could hear and once by Axel in Days in a report) at all?
From speech alone, Maleficent could also have been considered as "gone for good" in KH 1 until Vexen's statement about her in a cutscene during Chain of Memories, so the ambigiousity is even there without the snippet from DDD, at least that's how I interpret it from the materials we have.
In a series that leans as heavily on second chances and resurrections (again I can only point at the thousands of worlds that reappeared together with their inhabitants at the end of KH 1), it's somewhat hard to believe that just the Riku Replica should be an exception to the rule in terms of the possibility.

It's somewhat funny that, for someone who is supposed to be forgotten completely and stuff, you see much of an influence still from Xion, but close to nothing for Replica Riku (but that may be because Xion is closely connected to Sora's heart and was accepted into his heart by him while Riku didn't connect with the Replica's heart and let him just disappear).

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I see, although even if we go by the facts we currently have, do those really say/confirm that he's gone for good or is that just what everyone fandom-wide assumes?
Because in-universe apparently no one (literally) gives a damn about Riku Replica and he's never referenced, mentioned or brought up (except in one passing comment by Riku in DDD which only Dream-Jiminy could hear and once by Axel in Days in a report) at all?
We assume it because we've never been given anything to tell us otherwise. It's not that it couldn't happen but in current canon he is gone.

The fact he's never brought up by characters adds more fuel to the fire that he no longer exists.

From speech alone, Maleficent could also have been considered as "gone for good" in KH 1 until Vexen's statement about her in a cutscene during Chain of Memories, so the ambigiousity is even there without the snippet from DDD, at least that's how I interpret it from the materials we have.
Well for all intents and purposes, she was "dead" (using that term loosely). Before KH2, that was canon.

In a series that leans as heavily on second chances and resurrections (again I can only point at the thousands of worlds that reappeared together with their inhabitants at the end of KH 1), it's somewhat hard to believe that just the Riku Replica should be an exception to the rule in terms of the possibility.
Possibility isn't fact, though. We can theorize all day about the possibility of his return but we have no solid evidence of it, which is where I'm coming from.

It's somewhat funny that, for someone who is supposed to be forgotten completely and stuff, you see much of an influence still from Xion, but close to nothing for Replica Riku (but that may be because Xion is closely connected to Sora's heart and was accepted into his heart by him while Riku didn't connect with the Replica's heart and let him just disappear).
It's sad. :C I think that's why the fandom feels such a strange connection to him.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
We assume it because we've never been given anything to tell us otherwise. It's not that it couldn't happen but in current canon he is gone.

The fact he's never brought up by characters adds more fuel to the fire that he no longer exists.

It's true that we never got anything regarding Riku Replica himself to tell us otherwise, series-(or in-universe-)-wise we have more than enough cases which show us that fading into/being swallowed by darkness does not necessarily mean "That's it!"
In the current canon though, Eraqus, Vanitas, Roxas, Xion and Naminé are gone too. ;)

This is also one of the more iffy things in the series because of the different interpretations(and statements in the games) of what "not existing" actually means.
For all intents and purposes, the characters I mentioned above "no longer exist" as well in the terminology of the series right now, just like the Riku Replica, as they do not have a physical form anymore. Nomura even went so far to say that everyone who called out to Sora in Blank Points has "already disappeared" from the world and that even Aqua (and Ansem the Wise) would have a "Birth by Sleep".

Well for all intents and purposes, she was "dead" (using that term loosely). Before KH2, that was canon.

Possibility isn't fact, though. We can theorize all day about the possibility of his return but we have no solid evidence of it, which is where I'm coming from.

It's sad. :C I think that's why the fandom feels such a strange connection to him.

Yeah, I also think we're also having a slight mismatch in semantics here. Maleficent was gone until KH 2, but in Chain of Memories Vexen already alluded that Maleficent, while gone, would not necessarily have to remain gone.
I was not doubting anything in regard to Riku Replica being gone, but what actually makes the fandom think it's a sure-fire case of gone for good. ;)

Correct, but saying that he cannot return and is surely and utterly gone for good isn't fact either, both are just possibilities and in the case of the latter one becoming true, I am certainly interested in the explanation as to why exactly Repliku is completely gone for good.
Thinking the whole thing further, that may also hold interesting information in regards as to how to get rid of Xehanort for good. :p

That's understandable, the only thing I do not like is however when Repliku is used as an entry point for Xion hate/bashing, that's not fair to both of the characters.
I also just thought about it, the Replica program was initially thought up by Xemnas, who is a Xehanort incarnation, and both Repliku and Xion were just used as tools in a scheme.
In BBS, Master Xehanort uses Ven and Terra as tools in his schemes, in KH 1 it's Ansem with both Riku and Maleficent, CoM has Marluxia hijacking a plot that was also originally envisioned by Xemnas/Xehanort, using Sora, Naminé and Repliku.
In Days, Roxas and Xion were used, in KH 2 and DDD Sora again.
Sora's "treating hearts like bottles on a shelf"-statements in DDD really fit through the whole series on what Xehanort has been doing all the time.

alxnort

Awards
I really, really, REALLY want Young Xehanort to change sides... but this is just some really wishful thinking. I highly doubt they are going to let him ;_; . At the least they need to developed him more as a character, he got the motivations of a cardboard box so far; they could add in more of his past and his thoughts on... anything really, he has close to nothing in the way of depth.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I really, really, REALLY want Young Xehanort to change sides... but this is just some really wishful thinking. I highly doubt they are going to let him ;_; . At the least they need to developed him more as a character, he got the motivations of a cardboard box so far; they could add in more of his past and his thoughts on... anything really, he has close to nothing in the way of depth.

agreed, i would like to see young xehanort get some development as well.

Relix

A traveler
Awards
Giving Young Xehanort develop...doesn't sound like too bad of an idea but I would really like to see other characters developed further and given quite a bit of spotlight. Though having III being the last Xehanort antagonized game may give him priority in certain aspects. But still I a few characters in mind that I think deserve to be developed more and given more attention than a certain incarnation of Xehanort, as cool and awesome and suave this incarnation may be. aka dat voice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back