• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Will Sora get a restart?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

edtheiii

Okay, so in every game involving Sora so far, we've had some cause for us to relearn all of our abilities. We were held back the least in DDD, but even then we had to gain our abilities from Dream Eaters and, of course, still started at lvl 1. Now, we know that we're supposed to be looking for the keyblade to unlock hearts, which would imply we've been given a mission from Yen Sid, which implies we indeed did not lose our memory somehow. However, the game still has to start from lvl 1 somehow.

The way I see it, there are a few options. There could be a super-long tutorial with another character, and by the end of it when we switch back to Sora, we can use all of his relevant old abilities. Or, the game could just start with Sora being able to wield all sorts of magic and do tons of fancy tricks, and just gain more abilities as we go on. Of course the most likely to happen is that we somehow lose our ability to cast magic and have to learn it all from the beginning again.

What does everyone think?

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
They could say having his heart almost broken in KH3D made him weak and that's why he starts at level 1 again.

Anagram

Banned
I don't see why a level one reason is needed. It's a little neat that Nomura tries always work it in I guess though.

Emperor

Maybe it'll feel different to fight in the realm of light after having fought in a place like the realm of sleep. *shrugs* This is one restart I can't really wrap my mind around.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
They could say having his heart almost broken in KH3D made him weak and that's why he starts at level 1 again.

Of all the options I can think of, this one seems the least contrived, although it makes DDD look pointless. They could have long tutorial section, then just transfer all the learned abilities and levels once it's over. It's hard to say.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
I'm not sure. I think it's possible that he starts off with standard spells and moves that were on par to how souped-up he was in II BUT everything he gains in III makes it look like Level 1 in comparison.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
i say, start at level one with all base spells and abilities from the end of kh2/ddd, but explain it like "the forces you face are greater than ever before" to explain why you feel less powerful.

or like audo said, sora had to get awoken and all that, so maybe as he progresses he gains the abilities he was meant to at the end of ddd?

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
I have an even better idea than a level 1 restart. Just become overpowered in the start of the game by popping in your Game Genie and -

Ah crap, they don't make those anymore do they?

Anyways. I feel like the whole "heart broke/swallowed by the Darkness" thing from 3D will be the thing to force Sora back to level 1. Just make him more powerful but make sure that the enemies become more powerful and more tactical as well so that it feels like more of a progression instead of a regression that most people are going to feel because, "Gah, we're at level 1 AGAIN?!"

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
most people are going to feel because, "Gah, we're at level 1 AGAIN?!"
does anyone actually think that? because this whole time i felt Nomura's insistence on having a reason to go back to level 1 was needless and that he could've just reset the level to 1 and not say anything and no one would really care. that's how it works in most games lol.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
don't you know, Audo? nomura isn't like most game directors.

Seighart

Awards
Would you guys really feel ok with Sora starting off with some abilities and such? I'd much rather learn these abilities all over again because it's a new game and what not. After all, we never really gained the ability to cut through buildings normally post KH2. I think having it implemented story wise is great, but once it translates into gameplay it should just remain as such. A gameplay aspect.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
a good game design can retain some powers while giving a natural learning curve. if sora really has all these new combat abilities, then i see no harm in letting him keep some old moves you may never use again.

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Was KH1 made pointless by CoM? Was KH2 made pointless by KH3D? Naw, son.
To his defense none of those games were about Sora getting stronger but that was really the whole purpose of 3D, for Sora and Riku to learn to master their keyblade skills as true masters.
All the other games were about saving the world and finding some friends.
I personally hope 3D start out with Sora being much stronger then at the start of previous games and get to keep a few of his abilities etc while still getting much stronger through out the game so it almost feel like he pick up where he left of in 3D, also keep in mind that everyone seam to get way more powerful in their dream state being able to use all that flomo so Sora wouldn't really be as capable now as he was back then anyway.
As for future games I no longer think a level 1 reason would be necessary as neat as it have been up until this point.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Being Level 1 also doesn't need to actually mean a total "reset" as for example in the game Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate you can train your characters from Level 1 to Level 100, then promote them which sends them back to Level 1 and lets them level up to 100 again, but that "Level 1" starts with additional benefits like extra item slots and higher base stats making it much more powerful than the inital Level 1.

Wander

Alternatively they could just not explain it and force people to accept segregation of gameplay and story.
Seriously doubt it though.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
To his defense none of those games were about Sora getting stronger but that was really the whole purpose of 3D, for Sora and Riku to learn to master their keyblade skills as true masters.
KH3D wasn't about getting stronger, really. And being level 1 isn't the same as not having the proper skills either. Aqua was a Master in BBS and started out at level 1, too. The point of the exam was to get new abilities needed to rescue those from sleep, which Sora proves, at the end of the game, to still have even if he is level 1 again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back