• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why Xehanort is Wrong about Balancing Light and Darkness

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterKaze

Awards
Master Xehanort has stated that he believes there should be a balance between light and dark, and that he wants to bring an end to the "tyranny of light."

Assuming this is truly what he believes, it is hard to fault him. An equal balance should exist, and darkness does not necessarily mean evil, as we see with Riku. With this in mind, Xehanort's end goal seems almost noble, despite his brutal methods of achieving it.

However, there is one crucial mistake he is making: The two forces are already in balance.

Because so much of the Kingdom Hearts universe that we've seen has been in the Realm of Light, it's easy to make the mistake of only considering it, in which case there truly would be a nearly complete tyranny of light, with darkness all but forced into the recesses. But this is not the case. Instead, the Realm of Darkness provides that equal balance between light and dark. One whole realm of light. One of darkness. Equilibrium. Balance.

If Xehanort were to bring balance to the Realm of Light, then the universe as a whole would not be in balance. In that case, to truly have light and darkness be equals, light would have to be introduced to the Realm of Darkness to create parity between light and darkness there.

Doing this would make the two realms indistinguishable. If their main identifier was which force was more prevalent, and those forces became equal in both, there would be little difference between the two. I would imagine that this sudden change would create chaos for their residents, as we've seen how much damage just a slight upset can be (the heartless of the residents of the Realm of Light; Aqua for the heartless living in the Realm of Darkness).

It's possible Xehanort is not truly serious about wanting balance. But if he is, then he's way off base - that is, unless he plans on invading the Realm of Darkness once he's done and leading a campaign of light. I find that highly unlikely. So, Xehanort is either lying about his intentions, or is misled.

DefiantHeart

Awards
Master Xehanort has stated that he believes there should be a balance between light and dark, and that he wants to bring an end to the "tyranny of light."

Assuming this is truly what he believes, it is hard to fault him. An equal balance should exist, and darkness does not necessarily mean evil, as we see with Riku. With this in mind, Xehanort's end goal seems almost noble, despite his brutal methods of achieving it.

However, there is one crucial mistake he is making: The two forces are already in balance.

Because so much of the Kingdom Hearts universe that we've seen has been in the Realm of Light, it's easy to make the mistake of only considering it, in which case there truly would be a nearly complete tyranny of light, with darkness all but forced into the recesses. But this is not the case. Instead, the Realm of Darkness provides that equal balance between light and dark. One whole realm of light. One of darkness. Equilibrium. Balance.

If Xehanort were to bring balance to the Realm of Light, then the universe as a whole would not be in balance. In that case, to truly have light and darkness be equals, light would have to be introduced to the Realm of Darkness to create parity between light and darkness there.

Doing this would make the two realms indistinguishable. If their main identifier was which force was more prevalent, and those forces became equal in both, there would be little difference between the two. I would imagine that this sudden change would create chaos for their residents, as we've seen how much damage just a slight upset can be (the heartless of the residents of the Realm of Light; Aqua for the heartless living in the Realm of Darkness).

It's possible Xehanort is not truly serious about wanting balance. But if he is, then he's way off base - that is, unless he plans on invading the Realm of Darkness once he's done and leading a campaign of light. I find that highly unlikely. So, Xehanort is either lying about his intentions, or is misled.

What if the realm of darkness has too much light in it, but we just don't know it? What if Xehanort is actually a vessel of a denizen of the realm of darkness, and he traveled to the realm of light to seek order? If this were true, then we'd have our reasons for why the members of the real organization might have possibly decided to help Xehanort, and surrender their bodies. We'd basically have our classic warriors of darkness situation with the organization if this was the case, and Square has done that in Final Fantasy so I wouldn't doubt them bringing that over to Kingdom Hearts.

Think about it, we're able to see in the realm of darkness, shouldn't we not be able to see at all if it was pure darkness?

MasterKaze

Awards
What if the realm of darkness has too much light in it, but we just don't know it? What if Xehanort is actually a vessel of a denizen of the realm of darkness, and he traveled to the realm of light to seek order? If this were true, then we'd have our reasons for why the members of the real organization might have possibly decided to help Xehanort, and surrender their bodies. We'd basically have our classic warriors of darkness situation with the organization if this was the case, and Square has done that in Final Fantasy so I wouldn't doubt them bringing that over to Kingdom Hearts.

Think about it, we're able to see in the realm of darkness, shouldn't we not be able to see at all if it was pure darkness?

My problem with that is what we've seen of the Realm of Darkness isn't consistent with that. Granted, we haven't see much, but aside from characters who were temporarily trapped there, we've only seen beings of pure darkness there. That's not to say there is no light there at all - there probably is, just like there is naturally some darkness in the Realm of Light. What you've said is still possible, but based on the limited evidence we have, I don't see much reason to conclude that.

As for seeing in the Realm of Darkness - by that logic, we shouldn't be able to see in the Realm of Light unless there was a lot of darkness present, otherwise it would just be a constant, blinding white light. In terms of Kingdom Hearts, I tend to think of light and dark more as forces as opposed to the presence or absence of photons.

Also,if it turns out that Xehanort was just someone else's vessel the whole time, and he wasn't the real bad guy, I think the majority of fans would riot.

Lanydx reborn

The Superior Lanydx
Awards
Oh course he's been wrong. The idiot's become as mad as a hatter. If Xehanort had actually met a living, thinking denizen of the realm of darkness and made a deal with it of some kind, you can bet Xehanort's got a plan to screw over the deal in his favor. This is a man no longer eyeing the picture of balance, and more about his own selfish goals, and damn anyone who gets in his way, or not useful to his grand master plan. He's got tunnel vision to the point where Im not sure if anyone or anything can reason with him anymore.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Balance? Eh. At this point, the dude's trying to destroy the universe just to see what happens. To hell with balance, Geezernort just wants answers.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Xehanort is not "wrong" but delusional, this so-called "Tyranny of Light" he constantly blabbers about doesn't even exist and might as well just be cheap propaganda to somehow give meaning to his "crusade" which stems solely from his own curiosity.
It's actually somewhat alarming/appalling how many apparently actually still fall for his lies and petty excuses and turn into apologists for some "noble goal" that doesn't even exist.

That being said though, the main irony is that it may be exactly Xehanort's actions and his constant ruining of other being's lives with Darkness that will actually result in the "Tyranny of Light" being born/created.

Constantly bringing up Riku as an example is also not really a compelling argument since he's obviously an exception to the rule (and possibly the exception that will serve to prove the rule) and it's often also conveniently forgotten that Riku isn't all gung-ho about Darkness and using Darkness anymore anyways, as his own words in DDD reveal:
DDD said:
Consume the darkness, return it to light.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I, on the other hand, find much more alarming how after all these years of Kingdom Hearts AND sagas like Kingdom Hearts, that went great distances to makes us learn that the world and mankind aren't just simply black and white, good and evil, and that absolutisms don't hold all the answers, still go full Eraqus on this matter and not only claim that he's OBJECTIVELY evil, but that the Tyranny of Light never existed and people who support Xehanort don't have just different views on the matter, no they are straight up idiots who fall for Xehanort's lies.

Which... pretty much only strengthen my resolve that a different interpretation is not only possible but at this point necessary.
Eraqus was at odds with Xehanort and decided that everything related to his goals was bad, no if and no buts. He then proceeded to attack Ventus and Terra because of it, and we all know what good that "righteous act of holy light to preserve the balance" brought.

Not only that proves that there is a "Tyranny of Light" or at least a "Light discrimination", it's also you guys "Xehanort is the evilest of evil you're wrong" modus operandi.

But that's just my polite baffling on my respectable foes on this subject.
Let's talk about Xehanort himself.

In another topic, after a long discussion, I basically said that to me Xehanort is the villain of the saga and commits evil deeds with evil consequences, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's evil-natured.
In retort it has been brought to me that people's nature can change, and I agree, so Xehanort might've been good at the beginning and then corrupted in a second moment, that's also what his reports seem to hint towards too.
My stance on this is that even so, that corruption was something that re-ignited a fuel inside him, a fuel that made him adamant on answering his questions, no matter the cost.
Truly a definition of evil, then, right? Someone who's ready to do anything for his goals is evil, no?

Debatable. One passage in his reports that no comment about Xehanort being the most evil creature in videogame history could ever delete:
The fact that he brought the broken Ventus, who he believed was of no further use to him, on the Islands stating that he (Xehanort) was "content that Ventus would find peace here" (Report X).
I don't see why he should've lied about that in his diary, meaning Xehanort doesn't go out of his way to torture people and he's actually relieved at making them feel ease.

Again: this just proves he's less evil, doesn't fully redempts him... debatable. I'm not saying I'm 100% right, just that I don't think things are so crystal clear as others claim.
Xehanort needs to be stopped. His actions are evil. The man might not be, and his ideal definitely isn't.

Last edited:

Lanydx reborn

The Superior Lanydx
Awards
I, on the other hand, find much more alarming how after all these years of Kingdom Hearts AND sagas like Kingdom Hearts, that went great distances to makes us learn that the world and mankind aren't just simply black and white, good and evil, and that absolutisms don't hold all the answers, still go full Eraqus on this matter and not only claim that he's OBJECTIVELY evil, but that the Tyranny of Light never existed and people who support Xehanort don't have just different views on the matter, no they are straight up idiots who fall for Xehanort's lies.

Which... pretty much only strengthen my resolve that a different interpretation is not only possible but at this point necessary.
Eraqus was at odds with Xehanort and decided that everything related to his goals was bad, no if and no buts. He then proceeded to attack Ventus and Terra because of it, and we all know what good that "righteous act of holy light to preserve the balance" brought.

Not only that proves that there is a "Tyranny of Light" or at least a "Light discrimination", it's also you guys "Xehanort is the evilest of evil you're wrong" modus operandi.

In another topic, after a long discussion, I basically said that to me Xehanort is the villain of the saga and commits evil deeds with evil consequences, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's evil-natured.
In retort it has been brought to me that people's nature can change, and I agree, so Xehanort might've been good at the beginning and then corrupted in a second moment, that's also what his reports seem to hint towards too.
My stance on this is that even so, that corruption was something that re-ignited a fuel inside him, a fuel that made him adamant on answering his questions, no matter the cost.
Truly a definition of evil, then, right? Someone who's ready to do anything for his goals is evil, no?

Debatable. One passage in his reports that no comment about Xehanort being the most evil creature in videogame history could ever delete:
The fact that he brought the broken Ventus, who he believed was of no further use to him, on the Islands stating that he (Xehanort) was "content that Ventus would find peace here" (Report X).
I don't see why he should've lied about that in his diary, meaning Xehanort doesn't go out of his way to torture people and he's actually relieved at making them feel ease.

Again: this just proves he's less evil, doesn't fully redempts him... debatable. I'm not saying I'm 100% right, just that I don't think things are so crystal clear as others claim.
Xehanort needs to be stopped. His actions are evil. The man might not be, and his ideal definitely isn't.
just because he tried to Ven more at ease with dying,something he was responsible for, really doesn't excuse his twisted and thoughtless plan. When he and his many body stolen copies have ruined the lives of so many without stopping to think that what he's doing might be wrong is pretty damn selfish in nature. He doesn't give a flying Kupo who he hurts or what he ruins so long as it get him what he wants. No he doesn't get to play the noble demon trope card when his heartless ran amuck, when his nobody brainwashed people into his terrorist cult, and forcing two child soilders into killing one another, the back stabbing, body stealing, kidnappimg. Causes have intent and all of that shows me some freaking evil intent. He's shown no remorse for his actions and will keep doing it.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Except that black-and-white-thinking isn't even the issue here? There is nothing inside the KH series itself that actually supports Xehanort's supposed "imbalance" towards light in the slightest. The worlds by themselves were doing pretty good and were mostly at peace for a long time.
It was only when Xehanort himself started to stir things up that things went out of hand and bad things started to happen.
Considering what happened after the end of the Keyblade War and the universe being almost flooded with Darkness and only some specks/"islands" of light remaining in the form of the individual, separated worlds it also does not really look like the tables are overly tipped towards light as Xehanort claims, but rather the opposite.
So where exactly is this "Tyranny of Light" again?

In this light, it is certainly not about just having different views on the matter, but actively contorting facts to justify and excuse one's own nefarious actions with a supposed higher goal.

Well, wanting to cause an apocalypse out of pure curiosity IS bad in every relation with no ifs or buts, so I'm actually more baffled about why suddenly Eraqus is the bad guy. He does not want to disregard every living thing, destroy the whole universe and has a God-am-I-complex, Xehanort is the one who wants that.
Eraqus did exactly one reprehensible action by attacking Ven and Terra and his way of teaching students leaves something to desire, granted, but you actually want to compare this to Xehanort, who did countless reprehensible actions and uses everything and everyone around him as a pawn?
Eraqus did not act out of malice or selfishness as well, unlike Xehanort to whom nothing matters but his own ambitions.

No, that proves just that Eraqus himself has a more strict/too narrow-minded stance on things, it does not prove anything about an actual "tyranny of light" or "light discrimation" universe-wide as so far it is not light that threatens the balance and causes damage everywhere.
The only things that really caused extensive damage and harm to people and worlds alike are people like Xehanort, Maleficent and their excessive (mis)use of Darkness.
Considering what Xehanort and co. are doing over the whole series/saga so far, the odds of more people taking up Eraqus' stance are actually increasing since they seem to prove every cliché and fear given about it right.

Uhm wat? I don't think anyone denies that (Young) Xehanort might have been not "evilest of evil" at the start, but that doesn't annul the fact that present day Xehanort (which includes the one that wrote the BBS-reports and the "Tyranny of Light"-bullcrap, y'know, the one who took an apprentice with the sole aim of using him and constantly put him through various instances of abuse) is a particularily nasty piece of work that is certainly the "evilest" villain we have been shown so far in the series.

On what subject? Whitewashing Xehanort and excusing his crimes? I'll be definitely your "foe" on that one!
Him not being "inherently evil" and possibly having had noble intentions once in a distant past changes nothing about the fact that he's very much evil now and responsible for almost everything bad and tragic that happened so far in 90% (read, anything except x[chi]) of this particular fictional universe.

The main question is though what does it matter if he is evil-natured by design or not? It doesn't help all the worlds nor any of his victims to contemplate about that when in the end present-day Xehanort is causing nothing but harm and grief all over the universe.
And "reigniting some fuel" inside him due to corruption makes his actions and behaviour more palpable or "admirable" exactly how? I don't see why this should compel anyone to see Xehanort as something more positive than a destructive selfish bastard which he at present day undeniably is?
Having zero empathy and consideration for anything or anyone else besides your own ambitions and goals can be a defintion of evil, yes, especially if these ambitions involve destroying the whole universe and deliberately destroying people's lives.

The whole grasping at straws with this issue about dumping Ventus on Destiny Islands is really getting old, it doesn't get Xehanort any sympathy points nor is it any positive example for him because Ventus being so broken in the first place and on the brink of disappearing is Xehanort's own damn fault to begin with and it was not an accident, Xehanort did that deliberately and fully aware of it being harmful to Ventus because of his selfish plans and ambitions. It's totally hypocritical to interpret any "redeeming" quality into this single action when he caused the situation fully intentional to begin with.
It is definitely an EVIL action and Xehanort doing it deliberately (instead of accidentally) and being fully aware of the consequences makes HIM evil.
The claim that he "doesn't go out of his way to torture people" is thus actually a piece of impudence extraordinaire considering him being gleeful at other people's suffering was shown more than once throughout his appearances.

What exactly IS his ideal to begin with? Destroying the universe and forcing his interpretation of "balance" on every other living thing? That's of course sooo not evil...<__<

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
While I think Xehanort might have originally be interested in balance (His younger less corrupt incarnation), the old geezer could probably give 2 poops about balance.

I agree that in their universe, things must be balanced, and in some ways it is. There is the Dark Realm which seems just as vast and dark as the Light Realm is vast and light. Not to mention the Realm Between that is all shades of gray in perfect balance.

Xehanort's action's are constantly setting the Realms OUT of balance. While he may have started wanting to learn about the balance of the universe, now the crazy old man is fueled by his curiosity of what happens after the worlds are completely enveloped in darkness. He's obsessed with the "true" light that supposed to appear after such a catastrophic event. He doesn't care about all the lives and people he's harming along the way, they don't matter as much as the 'true light'.

He's no better than a 'doctor' who conducts human experiments on unwilling people without caring whether they live or die because "In the end, your suffering will produce a cure. Be happy about my discoveries." I can list a few real life examples of such people, and it still continues on to this day. Is that not evil? Treating other human beings as mere tools to get what he wants? They did not sign up to be sacrifices for his goals. He's completely aware of what he's done to these people and doesn't even take responsibility for what he did to them insisting it was 'fate' and 'destiny' that hurt them.

Just because he's trying to get the "cure" (true light), doesn't mean all his methods and actions are excused. He's evil. Even if he was 'light', if he did this stuff he'd be evil. Right now, there is no equivalent person of light who has done the things he did, using and abusing people to satisfy his curiosity and get the 'true light/cure'. I do believe there is a Tyranny of Light, or that, in theory, one could appear. Eraqus is an example of someone blinded by light and yes, his actions were wrong. If he went out of his way to go out and kill everyone with a little touch of darkness in their hearts 'for the greater good', he'd definitely be on Xehanort's level. In fact, I'm expecting such a villain to appear after the Xehanort arc because it seems like a natural progression.

On another note, I sometimes wonder if this balance only needs to exist now because of what happened when the worlds were enveloped in darkness the first time. Is the entire universe balancing on the head of a needle thousands of years later, never truly repaired? Surely this means darkness shouldn't be around at all, it's just a reality of life they must live with now because of what happened in the past.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
just because he tried to Ven more at ease with dying,something he was responsible for, really doesn't excuse his twisted and thoughtless plan.

Don't remember ever claiming it did.

When he and his many body stolen copies have ruined the lives of so many without stopping to think that what he's doing might be wrong is pretty damn selfish in nature. He doesn't give a flying Kupo who he hurts or what he ruins so long as it get him what he wants. No he doesn't get to play the noble demon trope card when his heartless ran amuck, when his nobody brainwashed people into his terrorist cult, and forcing two child soilders into killing one another, the back stabbing, body stealing, kidnappimg. Causes have intent and all of that shows me some freaking evil intent. He's shown no remorse for his actions and will keep doing it.

Says you, on a... not really specified authority on the subject.
Also, you keep talking about actions. I was the first to label them as evil.

Except that black-and-white-thinking isn't even the issue here? There is nothing inside the KH series itself that actually supports Xehanort's supposed "imbalance" towards light in the slightest. The worlds by themselves were doing pretty good and were mostly at peace for a long time.

Not really.
Grandma's story in the first KH does depict the current situation as a dampening plan B escape route. But the true light does still sleeps into the Darkness, and one day the final door will open, as the flying script boxes also states to Sora.
They surely don't put that in an evil way, actually in the first KH the worlds as isolated closed environments was actually a sad concept, before Yen Sid ex machina made journeys still possible for sequel purposes.
So yeah, about the nothing supporting Xehanort.

It was only when Xehanort himself started to stir things up that things went out of hand and bad things started to happen.
Considering what happened after the end of the Keyblade War and the universe being almost flooded with Darkness and only some specks/"islands" of light remaining in the form of the individual, separated worlds it also does not really look like the tables are overly tipped towards light as Xehanort claims, but rather the opposite.
So where exactly is this "Tyranny of Light" again?

In five masters so obsessed into gathering so much Light that they brought the worst cataclysm of the series.
In a single master who was so obsessed with Light that he failed to notice the distress of his pupil and gave the evil Xehanort quite an helping hand.
You're interpretating Tyranny of Light as physical phenomenon. Tyranny of Light is just the dogma Eraqus and some if not all of the Foretellers preach.

In this light, it is certainly not about just having different views on the matter, but actively contorting facts to justify and excuse one's own nefarious actions with a supposed higher goal.

In this light, sure is.
But is that this light is not an absolute fact, rather your own interpretation, on which I disagree with.

Well, wanting to cause an apocalypse out of pure curiosity IS bad in every relation with no ifs or buts, so I'm actually more baffled about why suddenly Eraqus is the bad guy. He does not want to disregard every living thing, destroy the whole universe and has a God-am-I-complex, Xehanort is the one who wants that.
Eraqus did exactly one reprehensible action by attacking Ven and Terra and his way of teaching students leaves something to desire, granted, but you actually want to compare this to Xehanort, who did countless reprehensible actions and uses everything and everyone around him as a pawn?
Eraqus did not act out of malice or selfishness as well, unlike Xehanort to whom nothing matters but his own ambitions.

See? That's what I'm talking about.
Now why would Eraqus matter on this subject, or rather, why is this interpreted as Eraqus being the only bad guy. You're acting like there's gotta be ONE good guy and ONE bad guy, and if one is bad the other is good. Hence, my "Black and white" mindset.
I wasn't comparing anyone, Eraqus was wrong in his own right and I merely brought him on the plate to show how a life of absolutes is not righteous at all, but Eraqus has little worth in analyzing Xehanort.

No, that proves just that Eraqus himself has a more strict/too narrow-minded stance on things, it does not prove anything about an actual "tyranny of light" or "light discrimation" universe-wide as so far it is not light that threatens the balance and causes damage everywhere.
The only things that really caused extensive damage and harm to people and worlds alike are people like Xehanort, Maleficent and their excessive (mis)use of Darkness.
Considering what Xehanort and co. are doing over the whole series/saga so far, the odds of more people taking up Eraqus' stance are actually increasing since they seem to prove every cliché and fear given about it right.

I've already answered above that that narrow-minded thinking IS the Tyranny of Light, so that's that.
And "The only things that really caused extensive damage and harm to people and worlds alike are people like Xehanort, Maleficent and their excessive (mis)use of Darkness."
I'll admit Unchained isn't finished and fully explained, but I definitely saw five people gathering immeasurable amounts of Light and fighting a lives/World ending war in the name of such Light.

On what subject? Whitewashing Xehanort and excusing his crimes? I'll be definitely your "foe" on that one!
Him not being "inherently evil" and possibly having had noble intentions once in a distant past changes nothing about the fact that he's very much evil now and responsible for almost everything bad and tragic that happened so far in 90% (read, anything except x[chi]) of this particular fictional universe.

Be assured I was using "foes" lightly there. I was just awake and couldn't find a better term. I just meant "people on the opposite sides".
You keep going onto his actions, which I never excused. My talk begins and finishes at his goal and his nature.

T
he main question is though what does it matter if he is evil-natured by design or not? It doesn't help all the worlds nor any of his victims to contemplate about that when in the end present-day Xehanort is causing nothing but harm and grief all over the universe.
And "reigniting some fuel" inside him due to corruption makes his actions and behaviour more palpable or "admirable" exactly how?

It...doesn't? Again, I'm not excusing anything here.

I don't see why this should compel anyone to see Xehanort as something more positive than a destructive selfish bastard which he at present day undeniably is?
Having zero empathy and consideration for anything or anyone else besides your own ambitions and goals can be a defintion of evil, yes, especially if these ambitions involve destroying the whole universe and deliberately destroying people's lives.

Pretty sure I showed a report which disproves the terms "selfish" and "zero empathy".

The whole grasping at straws with this issue about dumping Ventus on Destiny Islands is really getting old, it doesn't get Xehanort any sympathy points nor is it any positive example for him because Ventus being so broken in the first place and on the brink of disappearing is Xehanort's own damn fault to begin with and it was not an accident, Xehanort did that deliberately and fully aware of it being harmful to Ventus because of his selfish plans and ambitions. It's totally hypocritical to interpret any "redeeming" quality into this single action when he caused the situation fully intentional to begin with.
It is definitely an EVIL action and Xehanort doing it deliberately (instead of accidentally) and being fully aware of the consequences makes HIM evil.
The claim that he "doesn't go out of his way to torture people" is thus actually a piece of impudence extraordinaire considering him being gleeful at other people's suffering was shown more than once throughout his appearances.

This is really getting old, so.
Do you see how you keep mentioning his actions every two sentences? Those same actions I said were evil to begin with?
Instead of getting so worked up and horrified about my "impudence", take a breather, and see where I'm coming from:

Xehanort does evil things. Xehanort isn't a good person. What Xehanort does is unexcusable. Whoever tries to make it so what he does has no evil consequences and is the right thing to do is laughable and definitely a fellow I would NOT meet alone in a desert place.
Do I, meaning I and not the entirety of the KH fans, think Xehanort is an evil guy, a selfish bastard, the quintessence of evil itself?
No. Xehanort is a self-centerd person who doesn't listen to anyone else and imposes himself on others, showing no remorse whatsoever.

All of these characteristics, that lead to terrible evil things, aren't evil themselves, since there are people who are egotistic, stubborn, remorseless and all of the above without being evil or doing evil. I know calling Xehanort "stubborn" seems ridicolous seen the entity of his sins, but he fits the definition.
Now, is one evil just for what he does, or how far one must need to go until his actions describes his nature, it's quite literally one of humanity's greatest questions, second only maybe to the meaning of life. I do not have the arrogance to claim my interpreation is the absolute answer, is just my viewpoint. On which people are free to disagree with and not even understanding it.

"Okay so what's your point then? How does that change anything?"
It doesn't. Xehanort is an unnecessary menace and needs to be put down. This is my personal stance on him as a person, and it doesn't lead anywhere.
And if it was just a waste of time, I sincerely apologize. Not even being sarcastic here.

What exactly IS his ideal to begin with? Destroying the universe and forcing his interpretation of "balance" on every other living thing? That's of course sooo not evil...<__<

I know, right? People forcing their own ideals in a really imposing way without accepting other answers are just like that.
Tell me about it.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
I usually enjoy extended conversations about things like this, but... Come on. Whether Geezernort is right about balance or not is irrelevant at this point. It doesn't matter how "right" your intentions or viewpoints are when your methods involve shredding up a child's heart, betraying and murdering your family, manipulating/possessing/stalking teenagers, methodically destroying various characters' sense of self, and destroying the universe. All for some endgoal of creating "an apocalypse out of sheer curiosity."

So, why is Geezernort wrong in all this, regardless of his viewpoint's validity? We got the answer in 2005. "Simple. It's because you mess up the worlds." Among other things. For a result that will benefit no one but himself.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I usually enjoy extended conversations about things like this, but... Come on. Whether Geezernort is right about balance or not is irrelevant at this point. It doesn't matter how "right" your intentions or viewpoints are when your methods involve shredding up a child's heart, betraying and murdering your family, manipulating/possessing/stalking teenagers, methodically destroying various characters' sense of self, and destroying the universe. All for some endgoal of creating "an apocalypse out of sheer curiosity."

So, why is Geezernort wrong in all this, regardless of his viewpoint's validity? We got the answer in 2005. "Simple. It's because you mess up the worlds." Among other things. For a result that will benefit no one but himself.

Yes!
I am deeply convinced he's wrong, and that the entire question is overall irrelevant! Is just a different viewpoint I have, and that's it.
I've said it before: I am deeply convinced there's something awfully wrong with how I express myself. I feel like I rub people the wrong way, and I definitely come as someone who's trying to force his way on others.
Considering on re-taking some English classes, but that's my issue.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
It's the avatar. I'm 100% sure. You are totally smugly looking down on everyone with your yellow eyes and goatee. U_U

DefiantHeart

Awards
So many people and their individual perspectives here... I get why people people-watch. :3 I wondered why so many people grasp so tightly to their perspectives, that they'd eclipse other's... and I've come to think, maybe ish because thash they're reality they're holding onto... they're right to exist. After all, we're all just reflections of the limits that created us... but what are we reflecting? :3

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
It's the avatar. I'm 100% sure. You are totally smugly looking down on everyone with your yellow eyes and goatee. U_U

You can say that as a joke, but I personally find that people's impressions of tone on the internet actually is affected by the avatar of the speaker. It's all we have to picture the person we're talking to!

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards

I know right? The argument here totally doesn't help either, I might as well use "SaltyXehanortFanboy" as a nickname too.
Gonna probs change into something more friendly-looking.

You can say that as a joke, but I personally find that people's impressions of tone on the internet actually is affected by the avatar of the speaker. It's all we have to picture the person we're talking to!

You're right, little wise Shadow.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Like Seph stated, there's no in-game evidence to support the "Tyranny of Light" dogma. Utilizing the Foretellers precedent is nice and all, but we don't know the truth of the extent of them "selfishly" looking for the light. For all we know, and theorize, the Foretellers were tricked into bringing the world's first apocalypse. That aside, let's hypothesize that Xehanrot isn't evil, but just extremely stubborn. How far can you justify a stubborn person when it comes to causing the world's second apocalypse? And in that matter, trying to cause the world's second apocalypse for a third time. A person that stabbed himself in order to create to copies of himself to try and enact two parallel plans to see if he could destroy the world. All of Xehanort's actions are based on his pure speculation that a supposed Tyranny of Light thinking exists. That's beyond stubborn: that's being an totalitarian. He's imposing his ideology to the level of wanting to cause the universe's second apocalypse to erase the current status quo and recreate the universe to his image.

---

Which leads me to conclude and agree with the topic at hand: Xehanort is wrong about balancing light and darkness. There's no need to. And if anything, the balance of light and darkness is a natural phenomena that occurs by itself. When the universe was first plunged into darkness after Keyblade War I, the light restored the balance and separated each world from one another and built walls. Fast forward to KINGDOM HEARTS, and we've got Heartless eating the hearts of the worlds. When Sora opens the Door, the overwhelm amount of darkness is drawn away by the light and those destroyed worlds were recovered.

If there's anything that the series can justify is the existence of the balance of light and darkness existing and occurring whenever someone threatens said balance.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

why are we talking about light and darkness when important topics are to be had, like high taxes on bars.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
While I think Xehanort might have originally be interested in balance (His younger less corrupt incarnation), the old geezer could probably give 2 poops about balance.

I agree that in their universe, things must be balanced, and in some ways it is. There is the Dark Realm which seems just as vast and dark as the Light Realm is vast and light. Not to mention the Realm Between that is all shades of gray in perfect balance.

Xehanort's action's are constantly setting the Realms OUT of balance. While he may have started wanting to learn about the balance of the universe, now the crazy old man is fueled by his curiosity of what happens after the worlds are completely enveloped in darkness. He's obsessed with the "true" light that supposed to appear after such a catastrophic event. He doesn't care about all the lives and people he's harming along the way, they don't matter as much as the 'true light'.

He's no better than a 'doctor' who conducts human experiments on unwilling people without caring whether they live or die because "In the end, your suffering will produce a cure. Be happy about my discoveries." I can list a few real life examples of such people, and it still continues on to this day. Is that not evil? Treating other human beings as mere tools to get what he wants? They did not sign up to be sacrifices for his goals. He's completely aware of what he's done to these people and doesn't even take responsibility for what he did to them insisting it was 'fate' and 'destiny' that hurt them.

Just because he's trying to get the "cure" (true light), doesn't mean all his methods and actions are excused. He's evil. Even if he was 'light', if he did this stuff he'd be evil. Right now, there is no equivalent person of light who has done the things he did, using and abusing people to satisfy his curiosity and get the 'true light/cure'. I do believe there is a Tyranny of Light, or that, in theory, one could appear. Eraqus is an example of someone blinded by light and yes, his actions were wrong. If he went out of his way to go out and kill everyone with a little touch of darkness in their hearts 'for the greater good', he'd definitely be on Xehanort's level. In fact, I'm expecting such a villain to appear after the Xehanort arc because it seems like a natural progression.

On another note, I sometimes wonder if this balance only needs to exist now because of what happened when the worlds were enveloped in darkness the first time. Is the entire universe balancing on the head of a needle thousands of years later, never truly repaired? Surely this means darkness shouldn't be around at all, it's just a reality of life they must live with now because of what happened in the past.

Heh, thanks, you actually stated the gist of what I meant in a much shorter and more concise way. ^__^

Says you, on a... not really specified authority on the subject.
Also, you keep talking about actions. I was the first to label them as evil.
You do not really need to be an "authority" to see that the evil intent is there.
Your actions and behaviour show who and what you are, so I don't really see why it should be detached.

Not really.
Grandma's story in the first KH does depict the current situation as a dampening plan B escape route. But the true light does still sleeps into the Darkness, and one day the final door will open, as the flying script boxes also states to Sora.
They surely don't put that in an evil way, actually in the first KH the worlds as isolated closed environments was actually a sad concept, before Yen Sid ex machina made journeys still possible for sequel purposes.
So yeah, about the nothing supporting Xehanort.

In five masters so obsessed into gathering so much Light that they brought the worst cataclysm of the series.
In a single master who was so obsessed with Light that he failed to notice the distress of his pupil and gave the evil Xehanort quite an helping hand.
You're interpretating Tyranny of Light as physical phenomenon. Tyranny of Light is just the dogma Eraqus and some if not all of the Foretellers preach.
"Grandma's story" in the first KH is a fairytale-esque thingy though and the worlds doing pretty good and being peaceful was directed at their status between after the reorganisation of the worlds and Xehanort starting messing around some years before BBS.

Come again?
Where exactly does the actual story of Kairi's Grandma/x[chi] support Xehanort's view of there being "too much light"?

Except that there is more than one hint laid out that said five masters were manipulated and driven into this "obsession" by a deliberate scheme in order to ensure that this cataclysm happens, not unlike a certain bald bastard is scheming at present day to make it happen again.
I'm not interpreting "Tyranny of Light" as a phenomenon but as a tangible, viable ideology and that ideology is not prevalent and in effect as Xehanort claims it to be. As said above already the Foretellers are most likely manipulated, not actively building up a tyranny (except maybe Aced, but that's a different can of worms) and Eraqus, as Kirabook already pointed out, doesn't count because he is not a tyrant.
If Eraqus would go and actively try to destroy anyone who displays Darkness openly then he could be interpreted as following a truly "tyrannic" ideology and would actually fit the bill of what Xehanort claims.

Even if we do interpret it as a dogma that is followed by Eraqus and the Foretellers...those are mere six individuals in an universe comprised of billions if not more living beings so the claim of Xehanort that a "Tyranny of Light" is ruling the universe still cannot be held up.

See? That's what I'm talking about.
Now why would Eraqus matter on this subject, or rather, why is this interpreted as Eraqus being the only bad guy. You're acting like there's gotta be ONE good guy and ONE bad guy, and if one is bad the other is good. Hence, my "Black and white" mindset.
I wasn't comparing anyone, Eraqus was wrong in his own right and I merely brought him on the plate to show how a life of absolutes is not righteous at all, but Eraqus has little worth in analyzing Xehanort.

I've already answered above that that narrow-minded thinking IS the Tyranny of Light, so that's that.
And "The only things that really caused extensive damage and harm to people and worlds alike are people like Xehanort, Maleficent and their excessive (mis)use of Darkness."
I'll admit Unchained isn't finished and fully explained, but I definitely saw five people gathering immeasurable amounts of Light and fighting a lives/World ending war in the name of such Light.
If Eraqus doesn't matter on this subject then why bring him up in the first place?
I wasn't getting at Eraqus being the "only" bad guy but you putting him on the same level as Xehanort, which doesn't hold up in the slightest. Eraqus is neither a saint nor an objective paragon of justice, but he is leagues less dangerous and egoistic than Xehanort is.

Even if you interpret Eraqus' mindset as such, the "Tyranny of Light" as a true overall ideology that is in place in the whole universe still doesn't exist and doesn't warrant to "reorganize" the whole universe as Xehanort claims is needed.
And yet that "war" is only aimed at bringing as much Darkness as possible forth and "extinguish/expire" the light and very probably set up by a conspiracy/scheme of an outside force, not because of any actual misuse of light or light being the destructive, tyrannic force.

Be assured I was using "foes" lightly there. I was just awake and couldn't find a better term. I just meant "people on the opposite sides".
You keep going onto his actions, which I never excused. My talk begins and finishes at his goal and his nature.
I know, that's why I put "foe" into quotation marks as well.
Just because I tend to answer somewhat detailed and "longwinded" doesn't mean I feel insulted or "attacked" in any way. ;)

Pretty sure I showed a report which disproves the terms "selfish" and "zero empathy".
To say it with your own words: Debatable.
The report in question (which by the way also describes a mere action) doesn't really prove anything in regards to Xehanort actually having empathy or a regard for others.
Again, if he had, Ventus, who was a child by that time, would not even be in the situation described there in the first place.
An even earlier report already stated that he only took Ventus in with the intent to use him as a tool, so "disproving" the selfish and zero empathy/regard for another living being traits might be very shakily to do.

This is really getting old, so.
Do you see how you keep mentioning his actions every two sentences? Those same actions I said were evil to begin with?
Instead of getting so worked up and horrified about my "impudence", take a breather, and see where I'm coming from:

Xehanort does evil things. Xehanort isn't a good person. What Xehanort does is unexcusable. Whoever tries to make it so what he does has no evil consequences and is the right thing to do is laughable and definitely a fellow I would NOT meet alone in a desert place.
Do I, meaning I and not the entirety of the KH fans, think Xehanort is an evil guy, a selfish bastard, the quintessence of evil itself?
No. Xehanort is a self-centerd person who doesn't listen to anyone else and imposes himself on others, showing no remorse whatsoever.

All of these characteristics, that lead to terrible evil things, aren't evil themselves, since there are people who are egotistic, stubborn, remorseless and all of the above without being evil or doing evil. I know calling Xehanort "stubborn" seems ridicolous seen the entity of his sins, but he fits the definition.
Now, is one evil just for what he does, or how far one must need to go until his actions describes his nature, it's quite literally one of humanity's greatest questions, second only maybe to the meaning of life. I do not have the arrogance to claim my interpreation is the absolute answer, is just my viewpoint. On which people are free to disagree with and not even understanding it.

"Okay so what's your point then? How does that change anything?"
It doesn't. Xehanort is an unnecessary menace and needs to be put down. This is my personal stance on him as a person, and it doesn't lead anywhere.
And if it was just a waste of time, I sincerely apologize. Not even being sarcastic here.
Well duh, maybe because actions combined with overall behaviour and mannerisms allow to draw inferences to a person's mindset and nature?
People of certain natures won't even consider actions such as Xehanort takes constantly, not to mention that you yourself use an action done by Xehanort to argue against him being a selfish, uncaring bastard.
So if it is pro-Xehanort, it can be taken into consideration but if it isn't it should be detached? Cause if you sum up all actions and statements done by him the picture is pretty clear, no matter what his initial goals might have been and the degree of nobleness they might have had.

You are right on that one, being ambitious, self-centered and ruthless/remorseless as traits are not inherently evil, but how a person handles them is a decisive factor and how else does Xehanort handle them besides doing horrible things with it?
Xehanort is someone who knows what he does and he is aware of all the damage he causes and he just doesn't care, that goes way beyond "stubborn" in terms of villainy.
To round back to the Eraqus attacking Ven example as a contrast, he also knows what he's doing, is aware that it's wrong and causes damage, but he is also doing it reluctantly and remorseful for having to go to such extremes. He cares, Xehanort doesn't. Wrong/evil action, but totally different mindset about it, that's the difference.

Exactly, what is your point? I'm truly interested in that one.
If you would be in anyone of the heroes shoes, be it Terra, Sora, Ven, Aqua or anyone else, how would you handle Xehanort?
It is certainly not a waste of time as it is actually an interesting debate, although I do have to honestly say that I don't get behind the mindset present as as far as I know no one actually denied that Xehanort is not inherently evil (as arguably nothing is) and was probably even a remotely decent person in the past, but that doesn't change the fact that he's an quite evil scumbag right now.

An even shorter one that gets straight to the point, full agreement. ^__^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back