• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why Xehanort is Wrong about Balancing Light and Darkness

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorarocks93

Awards
Hey, if there was a possibility that I could open up Kingdom Hearts and see what awaited on the other side, I'd use any excuse I could.
I've been waiting 12 years dammit!

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Except that there is more than one hint laid out that said five masters were manipulated and driven into this "obsession" by a deliberate scheme in order to ensure that this cataclysm happens, not unlike a certain bald bastard is scheming at present day to make it happen again.
I'm not interpreting "Tyranny of Light" as a phenomenon but as a tangible, viable ideology and that ideology is not prevalent and in effect as Xehanort claims it to be. As said above already the Foretellers are most likely manipulated, not actively building up a tyranny (except maybe Aced, but that's a different can of worms) and Eraqus, as Kirabook already pointed out, doesn't count because he is not a tyrant.
If Eraqus would go and actively try to destroy anyone who displays Darkness openly then he could be interpreted as following a truly "tyrannic" ideology and would actually fit the bill of what Xehanort claims.

Even if we do interpret it as a dogma that is followed by Eraqus and the Foretellers...those are mere six individuals in an universe comprised of billions if not more living beings so the claim of Xehanort that a "Tyranny of Light" is ruling the universe still cannot be held up.
This is leaning more on the actual definition of Tyranny, I feel like.
But while they're not tyrants, while the Foretellers are definitely being manipulated, it's still proof of Light being able of being damaging, or rather of the fact that a bunch of Light-oriented people are trying to suppress Darkness.
True they don't do it with their own hands, but each Master has a literal army of disciples and Eraqus was training the only Wielders known at the moment. Thye're so not just mere six individuals, they were the most/only eminent authorities in the galaxy.
In an hypotetical scenario where their mindsets got passed down onto EACH disciple without opposition, truly Light would've been the only way, and that's what Xehanort feared.

I mean, even Mickey explicitly said that he believed Darkness was to be destroyed prior CoM. All the major roles were Light-oriented and definitely thought of the other power as a obstacle to destroy.
Not saying Xehanort was right or justified in doing what he did to prevent his fears, but I think of his as fears and not an evil will of making Darkness prevails.

If Eraqus doesn't matter on this subject then why bring him up in the first place?
I wasn't getting at Eraqus being the "only" bad guy but you putting him on the same level as Xehanort, which doesn't hold up in the slightest. Eraqus is neither a saint nor an objective paragon of justice, but he is leagues less dangerous and egoistic than Xehanort is.

Wasn't trying to. I needed Eraqus only as a paragon for one-way mentality.

I know, that's why I put "foe" into quotation marks as well.
Just because I tend to answer somewhat detailed and "longwinded" doesn't mean I feel insulted or "attacked" in any way. ;)

I trust you. You're by far one of the most collected and reasonable people I've met here, and that's exaclty why I wanted to clarify I wasn't trying to come off as rude as I probably saounded.

To say it with your own words: Debatable.
The report in question (which by the way also describes a mere action) doesn't really prove anything in regards to Xehanort actually having empathy or a regard for others.
Again, if he had, Ventus, who was a child by that time, would not even be in the situation described there in the first place.
An even earlier report already stated that he only took Ventus in with the intent to use him as a tool, so "disproving" the selfish and zero empathy/regard for another living being traits might be very shakily to do.

Well, can't really argue there, you have a point.

Well duh, maybe because actions combined with overall behaviour and mannerisms allow to draw inferences to a person's mindset and nature?
People of certain natures won't even consider actions such as Xehanort takes constantly, not to mention that you yourself use an action done by Xehanort to argue against him being a selfish, uncaring bastard.
So if it is pro-Xehanort, it can be taken into consideration but if it isn't it should be detached? Cause if you sum up all actions and statements done by him the picture is pretty clear, no matter what his initial goals might have been and the degree of nobleness they might have had.

You are right on that one, being ambitious, self-centered and ruthless/remorseless as traits are not inherently evil, but how a person handles them is a decisive factor and how else does Xehanort handle them besides doing horrible things with it?
Xehanort is someone who knows what he does and he is aware of all the damage he causes and he just doesn't care, that goes way beyond "stubborn" in terms of villainy.
To round back to the Eraqus attacking Ven example as a contrast, he also knows what he's doing, is aware that it's wrong and causes damage, but he is also doing it reluctantly and remorseful for having to go to such extremes. He cares, Xehanort doesn't. Wrong/evil action, but totally different mindset about it, that's the difference.

Exactly, what is your point? I'm truly interested in that one.
If you would be in anyone of the heroes shoes, be it Terra, Sora, Ven, Aqua or anyone else, how would you handle Xehanort?
It is certainly not a waste of time as it is actually an interesting debate, although I do have to honestly say that I don't get behind the mindset present as as far as I know no one actually denied that Xehanort is not inherently evil (as arguably nothing is) and was probably even a remotely decent person in the past, but that doesn't change the fact that he's an quite evil scumbag right now.

I would definitely fight Xehanort as they're doing, no doubt there.
My point maybe isn't even such, merely my stance on the man's disposition. It's not even trying to prove anything: I just have a different conception on morality and their correlation to the actions. Maybe even different from anyone else, or the majority.
Funny thought I'm having right now, this whole argument does remind me of the Xehanort and Eraqus debate, with Eraqus dismissing Xehanort's point as "poetic excuses".

In the end it's exactly what we're doing, having an argument with two really different and irreconcilable views.
We've come far into trying to understand the other, but ultimately I would like to propose to just agree to disagree.

Xammag

I would not say Xehanort is evil completely. Him bringing Ventus to die in Destiny Islands was an objectively good action. There was no alternative plan there other than to let him die in peace there. That does not absolve him of his actions that hurt Ven in the first place and many others, but it does show that he still has some layer of him that is capable of caring for people.

I am of the impression that younger Xehanort believed in the tyranny of light, and in my mind that means that the worlds are tilted towards light and keeping darkness out. I think the reports from BBS show Xehanort did not like the fear of darkness and felt this fear was unfounded if the person was strong enough. Now yes, how much influence does light have in the realm of darkness? Could that be considered the tyranny of darkness. Probably, but maybe the realm of light and the realm of darkness would not be as different as night and day is darkness was more accepted.

Xehanort's goal is to use KH to become a God and rearrange the balance how he sees fit. I agree he has lost his way, he indifferent actions towards manipulating people is just an example that he has steady accepted the role of a god.

Smithee

Awards
I would not say Xehanort is evil completely. Him bringing Ventus to die in Destiny Islands was an objectively good action. There was no alternative plan there other than to let him die in peace there. That does not absolve him of his actions that hurt Ven in the first place and many others, but it does show that he still has some layer of him that is capable of caring for people.

And yet, when MX saw him survive, MX simply continued exploiting him as if said "sympathetic" moment hadn't even happened.

I am of the impression that younger Xehanort believed in the tyranny of light, and in my mind that means that the worlds are tilted towards light and keeping darkness out.

They're supposed to be, what with being in the Realm Of Light and all; come to think of it, we never see him trying to force the Realm Of Darkness into a similar "balance" (hint, hint).

I think the reports from BBS show Xehanort did not like the fear of darkness and felt this fear was unfounded if the person was strong enough.

Problem is, said "strong enough" people have proven to be only a handful -- versus the untold trillions who have indeed suffered because of it (thus justifying said fear).

At the end of the day, he's just a self-righteous sociopath who only reinforces the very "absolutes" he claims to oppose.

Cli Max imum

Master Xehanort has stated that he believes there should be a balance between light and dark, and that he wants to bring an end to the "tyranny of light."

Assuming this is truly what he believes, it is hard to fault him. An equal balance should exist, and darkness does not necessarily mean evil, as we see with Riku. With this in mind, Xehanort's end goal seems almost noble, despite his brutal methods of achieving it.

However, there is one crucial mistake he is making: The two forces are already in balance.

Because so much of the Kingdom Hearts universe that we've seen has been in the Realm of Light, it's easy to make the mistake of only considering it, in which case there truly would be a nearly complete tyranny of light, with darkness all but forced into the recesses. But this is not the case. Instead, the Realm of Darkness provides that equal balance between light and dark. One whole realm of light. One of darkness. Equilibrium. Balance.

If Xehanort were to bring balance to the Realm of Light, then the universe as a whole would not be in balance. In that case, to truly have light and darkness be equals, light would have to be introduced to the Realm of Darkness to create parity between light and darkness there.

Doing this would make the two realms indistinguishable. If their main identifier was which force was more prevalent, and those forces became equal in both, there would be little difference between the two. I would imagine that this sudden change would create chaos for their residents, as we've seen how much damage just a slight upset can be (the heartless of the residents of the Realm of Light; Aqua for the heartless living in the Realm of Darkness).

It's possible Xehanort is not truly serious about wanting balance. But if he is, then he's way off base - that is, unless he plans on invading the Realm of Darkness once he's done and leading a campaign of light. I find that highly unlikely. So, Xehanort is either lying about his intentions, or is misled.

no sir, xehanort is teaching the lesson of the light IN the darkness. that's what KH is about the light IN the darkness.

you are right the forces are in balance. xehanort is just preaching that fact. where as others like mickey to quote him directly said at one time he "thought darkness was something that should never exist." until he met riku who housed xehanorts darkness.

xehanort is teaching us that you can not have a day with out both light and darkness. or a single year with out spring (fertility/life) and autumn (death) that it takes a balance of opposing forces in order to create.

male and women = life

tumblr_inline_mkcv9u72m01qz4rgp.png

kingdom_hearts_iii__rough_cover_art_mock_up_by_stop1129-d967vty.jpg

ayVFUCW.png

moXUibX.png

Xehanort's Report IV
And when Kingdom Hearts is complete, it is said the one who opens its door will bring about the creation of the Next World. Such a feat is above any human. Or, to put it a different way: whoever opens that door will be reborn as something far greater than human.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back