• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why does Chain of Memories get so much hate?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Not sure if someone has said this already, but when you first stop to think of CoM, you come up with a lot of cons. The card system was confusing to some AT FIRST, the story progressed slowly (though by the end it was interesting, in the beginning it was pretty slow), the floors were repetitive, there were no new worlds, the only time anything really interesting happened was in between worlds which made the worlds seem like a chore, having to enter into a battle like in FF was sometimes annoying.

However, if you think about it, all those cons can be turned into pros. The card system was fun after you got the hang of it, the story was still interesting, the floors allowed you to know what was coming up, (the world problem is still a problem), you knew when to expect story cutscenes, entering battles allowed you to run from some enemies.

Most people don't bother to think of the pros and just stick with the cons. They also have a tendency to compare ever aspect of CoM to the main titles.

Radar

Bronze Member
The original gba CoM was okay I think. Re: CoM was 10x better.

Then I read the manga, and oh boy did my perspective chain. It is like being sucked into a vortex of confused memories and falling into deep white darkness. And you know ventus is in there, and xion and roxas go there as well. But you have no idea. I really liked the story, probably my favorite besides bbs.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
your cards wouldn't get broken if you played smart

I did play smart. This was back before I really knew how to play a game, but I knew enough to beat it. Everytime I get a card broken, I break that card, and again. Only with the Organization bosses, though. No one else. It wasn't that bad back then, but they fixed the thing where bosses couldn't break 0 cards in RE:COM, which made for a unrequired and awful game. But I won that too, but much faster because when RE:COM came out, I actually knew how to play instead of tossing around cards like I was Yu-Gi-Oh until I reached Xehanort's Heartless.

Love Machine

strut strut strut
The card system was very annoying, IMO, and it really wasn't the KH gameplay I'd came to love.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
The card system was very annoying, IMO, and it really wasn't the KH gameplay I'd came to love.

This. Exactly what I've been trying to say. This is Kingdom Hearts, not time to du-du-du-du-du-du-DUEL!

kupo1121

Awards
This. Exactly what I've been trying to say. This is Kingdom Hearts, not time to du-du-du-du-du-du-DUEL!

Did you dislike BbS then because that wasn't the KH gameplay you came to know? If you were able to adapt and enjoy BbS, the same could have happened with CoM. If anything, the change from CoM kept CoM fresh and interesting, not boring and repetitive (the same can't be said for the worlds).

Odysseus

Somewhere out there beneath the pale moonlight.
there were no new worlds

Twilight Town.

Though honestly, I don't see how more new worlds would have even mattered, they're all more or less the same thing: a series of rooms.

I didn't really find the worlds monotonous or anything. The "dungeon crawler" kind of feel it has gives each world a unique twist, so yes, it's reused, but it's different.

Compare that to Days...

Last edited:

The Conquerer

The Bloody Warrior
Awards
Chain of Memories was decent for what it served. The remake was reputed to be worse due to the technicalities.

Chill

Silver Member
Awards
I shall answer this in one question.
People hate cards.

Awards
The belief that someone who isn't a fan of the CoM battle system must suck at strategy is stupid.
I didn't hate it by any stretch of the imagination, but it is probably my least favorite KH battle system to date. It's back-and-forth tedium. It's a focus on numbers more so than it is on action. For instance, if a boss creates a sleight, you try to create a bigger sleight or use a zero card to break it. Does this require strategy and some thinking? Of course. But how does it not require strategy/thinking if you're trying to actually dodge a bosses attack rather than beat their attack with a bigger one?

More importantly, since when does "thinking" equate to enjoyment? And I'm using "thinking" loosely here. It's rudimentary math, folks. He puts out a 5 card, I put out a 6 or higher. Plus, much like the complaints about other games in the series, the system could be broken later in CoM. By earning enough CP to place cards in a 9-0-9-0-9-etc pattern, it essentially allows you to button mash to victory. By that, I mean, the bosses would try to break through your cards, and sometimes they would, but as long as you kept mashing A, you would break right through that. The AI couldn't do anything about it, they'd hardly ever fight back.

Additionally, battles were laboriously long. It took a while for you to die and it took a while for them to die. Even running into basic heartless felt like a chore later on. The length of the game was built too much on grinding and (in the case of room creation) backtracking. The rooms themselves felt at times suffocating.

As for story, lots of people say they love CoM, and then they forget that the majority of it (the Disney part) was complete crap. It was a rehash of KH1 with the contrived theme of memory forced into each world.

Despite all this, I don't hate Chain of Memories. I actually like Chain of Memories a lot. I just feel sometimes that people on this forum overrate it or don't understand complaints about it.

The reason why I like CoM is because I look at it differently than the main entries. It was built to be a side game (even if it is necessary to understanding KH2), and back when it was released, replaying the same worlds from a previous game wasn't a big deal. Before CoM, there was just KH1. CoM could be said to simultaneously expand on the story of KH1 with original content and recap KH1 with the "memories." And in sprite form, it felt like a novel enough change. Like, I don't look at CoM as being a full-fledged sequel to KH1 so much as it is trying to recapture that experience on a handheld, even though it technically is a direct sequel. It was also supposed to set us up for KH2, which I think it did rather well.

Even though I'm not much of a fan of the card system, I understand why it was used. The GBA couldn't handle many attacks at once (and it would look like a complete mess on the screen), so they needed a pseudo-turn based system while retaining a real time feel. So, CoM emulated KH1's system admirably enough. It also emulated the music well too, and the sprites looked great. I also enjoyed building decks for boss battles and random encounters (as I said, I'm not against "thinking"), and a lot of the sleights were very cool.

And lastly, yes, I did like the original story. When I first played, I felt like this was our first look at "Final Fantasy"-esque characters. It was cool seeing so many original characters with good interaction and a pretty engaging story.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Did you dislike BbS then because that wasn't the KH gameplay you came to know? If you were able to adapt and enjoy BbS, the same could have happened with CoM. If anything, the change from CoM kept CoM fresh and interesting, not boring and repetitive (the same can't be said for the worlds).

No, Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep was amazing. You could easily use a potion or cast Curaga without having to go through several menus while fighting a boss, while Chain of Memories was nonstop "Find three damn Cure cards already! Come on! Oh damn, Larxene you bitch!" And with RE: Chain of Memories, thanks to it's upgraded system, all of the Organization bosses moves were more powerful and could animate faster on the PS2 than GBA. And I enjoyed BbS from the tutorial onward. When I first got COM, my first GBA game and second Kingdom Hearts game I was like "This isn't Kingdom Hearts! Where can't I attack!?" I was stuck on the tutorial for a halfhour. Yes, this was back when I was much younger, and I barely knew strategy, I enjoyed the first game's straight-foward action, not Yu-Gi-Oh.

kupo1121

Awards
No, Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep was amazing. You could easily use a potion or cast Curaga without having to go through several menus while fighting a boss, while Chain of Memories was nonstop "Find three damn Cure cards already! Come on!

Well...there was a way, like in BbS to skip to a certain point in your deck. If you really needed those 3 Cures...you would place 3 Cures next to each other and make it the shortcut so you would have skipped right to those cards.

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
I like COM! Because it was the first of the game that you actually customize your own play style. If your into fighting a lot, you just put attack cards, magic? spam magic! I mean it was good.

I like it a lot, except the graphics though, I always fell in the game when running around. But the Re: COM, MY FAVE! ( I lost my old GBA copy. :( )

Odysseus

Somewhere out there beneath the pale moonlight.
If you want to compare KINGDOM HEARTS Chain of Memories to a TCG, why not the KINGDOM HEARTS TCG by FantasyFlightGames?

Yes, a slow, turn-based Kingdom Hearts card game? That sounds very comparable to Yu-Gi-Oh.

But CoM, a game that takes place entirely in real time, with fast paced action, and using a card to represent a swing of the Keyblade? No, that's nothing like Yu-Gi-Oh. I'm tired of that comparison.

sovereign21

It seems like many people have a hard time adapting to changes in gameplay in a series that tries to explore someting new and are more comfortable staying with the old system that worked. Seems evident with the newer Final Fantasy titles. Otherwise, the "card-system" is perhaps simply not for everyone. I personally enjoyed Re:Chain of Memories for what it was, especially seeing the other Org. XIII members in action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back