• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Cartoon/TV ► WandaVision

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Gotta be brutally honest I’m only watching this show for the unlikely chance of Wiccan and Speed. Didn’t care for episode 1 but I did vibe more with episode 2.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Gotta be brutally honest I’m only watching this show for the unlikely chance of Wiccan and Speed. Didn’t care for episode 1 but I did vibe more with episode 2.
Episode 1 was clearly about playing the scenario straight so the status quo is established for the later episodes to break. Heard that ep3 is when things really pick up (there's a definite calculated move in having two episodes premiere instead of just one).

At this point I'll be amazed if they even remember Quicksilver.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
They definitely released two episodes because the first one was too weak even as a pilot/intro.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I loved both episodes. I can see people being upset with the first episode. For an opener, it can come off as weak if you aren't into the sitcom part.

I personally loved it because it had the right balance of weird, confusing, and old school.

The little drips of mystery were great too. This is my favorite style of storytelling, in fact. Slow burn mysteries that try to keep you locked in the illusion of the facade? Give me that good shit plz

There is so much to think about, too.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Can we talk about the commercials, please? The toaster one being so eerie was clever. I wasn't expecting them to reference the Stark missile, and certainly not in that way. It makes me wonder how they will reference Pietro's death.

Last edited:

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Can we talk about the commercials, please? The toaster one being so eerie was clever. I wasn't expecting them to reference the Stark missile, and certainly not in that way. It makes me wonder how they will reference Pietro's death.
People online are pointing out they both feature heavy ticking. Not a coincidence, they're counting down to something.

I'm guessing Ultron will get name-dropped in the next ad.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I quite liked most of the series so far. The mystery is being set up really well and the call backs to old sitcoms is charming. Though seeing I find sitcoms hard to watch, because they're all about misunderstandings and awkward situations, I do find having similar issues with the episodes' sitcom plots.

Still the characters are great, I'm really enjoying Agnes and "Geraldine". I do wonder who the neighborhood characters really were, before they were turned into sitcom characters. There's something kind of threatening and almost villainous about Dottie, I wouldn't be surprised if she'd be a hydra remnant.

I'm also curious as to how they'll handle the twins. It almost feels like the creation of the twins was the goal of this pocket reality, if there really is an outside influence that's causing Wanda to do this. After all Episode 2 was all about "for the children" and even episode 1 emphasised the question "why don't you have children yet". I wonder if they'll be born in the next episode or later.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I’m absolutely hooked. Olsen and Bettany are so charming and Kathryn Hahn is just perfect in this role. Can’t wait to see more from Teyonah Parris too.

I do see why the average viewer may not be as enthused about this show right now compared to the first episode of the Mandalorian. This has the least amount of action than anything prior in the MCU, so it’s likely not what most people want or expect from a MCU project just yet. But if you’re in the niche group that loves the tribute to classic sitcoms and loves finding references and clues to the larger story being set up, this is gold. And I think more people will get on board with it as it progresses and the curtain fake reality gets pulled back to reveal what’s really happening.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
As someone who binged watched all of I Dream of Jeanie about 8 or so years ago, I fully appreciated what WandaVision was working with for the first two episodes. I know that it was more I Love Lucy and Bewitched but Jeanie had the same DNA so I liked it. It also got very Twin Peaks-ey at two moments and I was all for it.

I don't really keep up with the Marvel movies much, I really only watch them if Spider-Man is involved but this being a TV show on a platform I'm paying for I'm glad I gave it a go. Also love me some Kathryn Hahn.

Without knowing their end-game I appreciate the commercials potentionally being references to
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Having the very first Marvel Studios Disney+ show be a show that pays tribute to the history of television could not be any more fitting. I'm aware that Falcon and the Winter Soldier was originally going to take that slot but WandaVision just seems more appropriate in retrospect. I loved everything about it and the production quality puts the Marvel Television shows to shame.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I liked it, but I definitely think the series would have been more well-received if it was available all at once to binge. It's moving too slow for my taste and I really want to know what's going on - however, it's not engaging enough to keep me coming back on a weekly basis. I will probably wait until all the episodes are available, then watch it all.

Also, I hate that I keep feeling like I have to carefully scroll through the credits to see if I missed anything.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Also, I hate that I keep feeling like I have to carefully scroll through the credits to see if I missed anything.

The credits are so long for a tv project. I really thought there was gonna be a post credits scene just by the runtime. But considering how these were produced like films, I guess it makes sense.

From what I’ve heard, the total runtime will be about 6 hours with next week being another short episode. So after that, the episodes should start getting longer. I like that they’re willing to make the episodes whatever length they feel appropriate to tell the story rather than trying to stretch them to fit a certain quota.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
We said the same thing about the Mandalorian, and the run became more unpredictable even with sources. Always assume that 10 mins of the episode is for credits, with the Mandalorian it was 5 to 6.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
The credits are so long for a tv project. I really thought there was gonna be a post credits scene just by the runtime. But considering how these were produced like films, I guess it makes sense.

From what I’ve heard, the total runtime will be about 6 hours with next week being another short episode. So after that, the episodes should start getting longer. I like that they’re willing to make the episodes whatever length they feel appropriate to tell the story rather than trying to stretch them to fit a certain quota.
Well most original shows on streaming platforms have abandoned the 22/40-something-ish minute runtime as with shows on TV, which is great because they're not forced to accommodate commercial breaks or a time slot on TV.

I wish they would let us know there's nothing in the credits because it's so long and a MARVEL production, so you automatically expect something. After the first episode's ending, it has me wondering if I should watch the credits or not.

Anyway, my whole gripe with WandaVision is that I really think they made a mistake with it being a weekly show. I feel like the experience of the show would have been best suited to binge-watching. Unlike the sitcoms that its emulating in these early episodes, the show actually isn't a sitcom, we're here for the grand story at the end. Which means that ending in a sitcom way "see ya next week for another hilarious situation with this couple" isn't what the show is about, so really it leaves you wanting the answer ASAP, then you go into another sitcom episode with the viewer wanting the meat of the show to come out (I hope I explained that well).

So the sitcom thing is a nice introduction tool, but waiting every week will ruin the experience of the show which I think would have worked better in a binge-watch. You'd get the quirky sitcom throwback, then quickly move into the serious stuff. Now it feels like you get the sitcom stuff and have to wait weeks to get to the serious stuff and the sitcom episodes don't really work well on their own after the first viewing. I'm sure there will be more things to pick apart in those episodes once we see the whole show, but right now there is very little to work with or even speculate on, which is kind of a letdown for being two episodes in.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
The long credits have become a standard thing with streaming shows due to the credits having to include all of the international dubbing and localisation credits. I stayed on WandaVision's credits the first time around because it wasn't popping off onto the next episode (which, last time it happened, led to the tease at the end of the Mandalorian). If it does turn out that you missed credits then at least it's super easy to jump onto Disney+ and scroll to the credits.

I like that it's weekly. There's no rush to consume all episodes as quickly as possible to avoid spoilers. I remember Entertainment Weekly tweeted out information from the 3 episodes of Black Mirror's fifth season within 10 minutes of those episodes going live. There's always this rush to avoid being spoiled and I do miss being able to talk and guess with people. I think weekly builds up the intrigue and mystery, while also allowing Disney+ to pad out it's "worth" through having something each week for people to tune in to.

I also find with binging that I'll forget so many details of the episodes in-between due to fatigue. Weekly at least lets me digest the information and visuals a lot better than it just going in one ear and out the other.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Well most original shows on streaming platforms have abandoned the 22/40-something-ish minute runtime as with shows on TV, which is great because they're not forced to accommodate commercial breaks or a time slot on TV.

Yes, however most streaming shows still have a somewhat consistent run time from episode to episode though whereas this is going to have a much more varied range. And they usually have to meet a specific episode quota, which can lead to poor pacing like some of the Netflix Marvel shows. So yeah we’ve already seen this trend, but this is taking it even further.

Anyway, my whole gripe with WandaVision is that I really think they made a mistake with it being a weekly show. I feel like the experience of the show would have been best suited to binge-watching.

Like Chaser, I disagree. This is just a personal taste thing, but I like the mystery being set up and having time to think on and theorize about the developments from week to week. I also feel like it gives me time to appreciate each episode more on its own and catch things that I would miss if I binged. It’s also nice having a little something to look forward to at the end of each week.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
The biggest reason why it’s weekly is because it’s about money. They’re well aware that the Mandalorian ended, and they need to incentivize people to stay with Disney+ since originals are lacking compared to other services.
I know many people(me included) that are going to temporarily ended our subscription after WandaVision until a new and compelling original comes out.

Back