• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Cartoon/TV â–º WandaVision

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
On one hand:

Which is true, I didn't have to watch every Marvel film to understand the big tent pole films.

But on the other hand, it certainly helps to keep track of everything 🥴. And I want to ensure I fully get what's going on in the next Spider-Man film which is why I'm watching WandaVision and will watch a Doctor Strange film to understand what Marvel's rules are for their multiverse.

Edit: Spider-Man is apparently out before Doctor Strange. Maybe I won't have to watch that man thankfully.

Edit 2: Or maybe not, Strange is in the Spider-Man film :mad:

Edit 3: Also it's funny that the closed off universe of the Netflix Marvel shows was brought up since Charlie Cox's Daredevil is in Spider-Man as well.

Last edited:

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I know Anakin is in the Clone Wars TV show, but I don't think that show is going to provide any more insight into why Anakin is the way he is when the films already did it.
Clone Wars is the sole reason I actually am kind of invested in Anakin. The prequel movies didn't do a good job establishing his character or making me care about him. Honestly if it weren't for the Clone Wars I'd probably still have no love for the prequels.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
To be honest, I'm a Star Wars film only kind of fan. I never cared for side stories because I really believe that Star Wars should solely be about Anakin Skywalker's fall and redemption. I know Anakin is in the Clone Wars TV show, but I don't think that show is going to provide any more insight into why Anakin is the way he is when the films already did it.
SW wasn't about Anakin to begin with it was Luke's story. The prequels proved, if nothing else, that the franchise was indeed bigger than the 1 main character.

Also, Anakin descent to the dark side in the films basically went 0-60 real quick. From just wanting to save his wife to mass murdering kids in the span of minutes. Clone Wars at least makes it seem more gradual.

Also also, the lightsaber of Anakin being treated like some special heirloom is awfully funny when you remember that he went through like 3-4 of them in AotC. CW helps in establishing its legacy to more than just a single film.

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

This show tackles themes more deeply than any MCU property so far. The fact people think "nothing happens" just goes to show how commercial entertainment has placed so much emphasis on plot over narrative.

Everything happens in these first two episodes. It has explored themes of trauma so eloquently and with disarming subtlety. So far it's a full-on character piece, who cares about plot.

Also, it's the most visually stylish, artful, and bold step for Marvel so far. I've always been upset by how homogeneous the Marcel Studios output has been. How they get the best indie directors and then strip them of all that make them so distinct as artists. Well, Phase Three showed them turn away from this. And it looks like Phase Four is a full departure from the safe, obstructionist production of yesteryear. Just look at some of the stunning creative talent involved: Chloe Zhao, Mohamed Diab, Justin Benson, Aaron Moorhead, Cate Shortland, Kate Herron. Also returning are Waititi and Coogler. Interestingly, directors like Zhao are being trusted to control every aspect of production from action scenes, to screenwriting, to set design, even to what type of camera they use. This was not the case before.

If WandaVision is representative of how bold they will be going forward, then the MCU is set for some of its best output yet. Sure, there will be some misfires, but I'd rather one masterpiece and one clanger over two titles that are safely adequate. Risk is key.

Just look at how beautiful the trailer for Loki looks. Such a stark departure from the band visuals of previous MCU output.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
It's the most visually stylish, artful, and bold step for Marvel so far. I've always been upset by how homogeneous the Marvel Studios output has been. How they get the best indie directors and then strip them of all that make them so distinct as artists. Well, Phase Three showed them turn away from this. And it looks like Phase Four is a full departure from the safe, obstructionist production of yesteryear. Just look at some of the stunning creative talent involved: Chloe Zhao, Mohamed Diab, Justin Benson, Aaron Moorhead, Cate Shortland, Kate Herron. Also returning are Waititi and Coogler. Interestingly, directors like Zhao are being trusted to control every aspect of production from action scenes, to screenwriting, to set design, even to what type of camera they use. This was not the case before.

I will never forgive COVID-19 from taking Eternals away from me, that was my most anticipated 2020 movie. 😡

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Can I say that the Netflix Marvel stuff did not feel self contained to me, especially when Defenders came around. Sure, their individual stories were separate but Defenders required you to have absolutely watched their shows so you knew where they were all coming from and why Hell’s Kitchen mattered so much to them.

Nobody could pay me to finish Iron Fist. I refuse.

Also with the rumor that Charlie Cox is in Spider-Man 3, I’m definitely feeling that less and less over time.

palizinhas

Awards
Wandavision is the first time I ever see either Wanda or Vision (american comics rarely come out in my country and I haven't seen a lot of MCU movies), but it's a lot of fun. Will keep watching it.

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
Also, was that the strawberry from earlier in the episode that was pulled from Hart's mouth? Makes that whole scene a lot more sinister if so.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I mean its half and half. They want for everyone to hop on but also build upon the shared universe. Right now with Star Wars you don't need to watch the movies to enjoy Clone Wars, Rebels or the Mandalorian. Watching the movies, adds to the experience and the shows reward you for sticking with everything.

As of now we know that 3 SW shows will connect in a major way, so I imagine that's also a possibility for the Marvel shows.
SW wasn't about Anakin to begin with it was Luke's story. The prequels proved, if nothing else, that the franchise was indeed bigger than the 1 main character.

Also, Anakin descent to the dark side in the films basically went 0-60 real quick. From just wanting to save his wife to mass murdering kids in the span of minutes. Clone Wars at least makes it seem more gradual.

Also also, the lightsaber of Anakin being treated like some special heirloom is awfully funny when you remember that he went through like 3-4 of them in AotC. CW helps in establishing its legacy to more than just a single film.
I was referring to Episodes 1-6, so the special treatment of Anakin's lightsaber in the latest trilogy isn't something I will comment on.

Star Wars IS Anakin's story. George Lucas himself has said it many times. It's about Anakin's fall and redemption. Luke may be the protagonist of Episodes 4-6, but it's about Darth Vader turning to the light.

I'm not saying that the franchise isn't bigger than one main character, it' can be as huge as it wants to be. The same can be said about a lot of franchises. My belief is that if a story is about a certain thing, then tell that story and complete it and move on. I don't like the constant spin-offs and extra material that pops up to extend (milk) the franchise. This seems to be the trend nowadays, as there is an overload of media and need for content. So streaming services and Hollywood are looking for whatever ways they can to milk any and all franchises. I get it's for business and for the money, but there really is no artistry there when a franchise that was meant for one thing gets turned into a cash printing machine.

And Anakin's turn to the dark side started in Attack of the Clones. It was very subtle (which I liked). Basically it was his problematic relationship with Obi-Wan (where Obi-Wan himself acknowledged that he was the wrong master for Anakin), the fact that he had to hide his love of Padme because of the jedi order, and his mother's murder. Anakin was overcome with conflict in Attack of the Clones, that the seduction and eventual turn to the dark side in Revenge of the Sith made a lot of sense.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I'm not saying that the franchise isn't bigger than one main character, it' can be as huge as it wants to be. The same can be said about a lot of franchises. My belief is that if a story is about a certain thing, then tell that story and complete it and move on. I don't like the constant spin-offs and extra material that pops up to extend (milk) the franchise. This seems to be the trend nowadays, as there is an overload of media and need for content. So streaming services and Hollywood are looking for whatever ways they can to milk any and all franchises. I get it's for business and for the money, but there really is no artistry there when a franchise that was meant for one thing gets turned into a cash printing machine.

I disagree. Just because a story started as one thing doesn’t mean there aren’t other good stories to tell in the same universe. Take the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings books for example. Or The Wizard of Oz and Wicked. Clone Wars, Rebels, the Mandalorian, and the sequel duology (term used intentionally) all have some of the best content in the Star Wars series. Hell, even some of the best KH story is in Union Cross.

I’m not saying what you’re describing with franchise milking doesn’t happen, but new stories expanding on an existing one doesn’t automatically mean they have no artistry.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
It would been nice if y’all had that same energy over at the Star Wars thread. Literally nobody visited it throughout the entirety of the Mandalorian(until the finale of course).
Also it’s the popular consensus in the Star Wars community that Clone Wars is easily the best thing created by George and Dave, we would have not had that if George didn’t want to milk his franchise a bit more, and I assure you, he had many ideas and series planned.
Both Marvel and SW have a rich universe(s), and it’s just silly not to be expand on them.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I disagree. Just because a story started as one thing doesn’t mean there aren’t other good stories to tell in the same universe. Take the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings books for example. Or The Wizard of Oz and Wicked. Clone Wars, Rebels, the Mandalorian, and the sequel duology (term used intentionally) all have some of the best content in the Star Wars series. Hell, even some of the best KH story is in Union Cross.

I’m not saying what you’re describing with franchise milking doesn’t happen, but new stories expanding on an existing one doesn’t automatically mean they have no artistry.
I was talking about my preference. Sometimes I like the spinoffs or reimaginings, like Wicked. But then there's things like Legend of Korra where I just ask myself "did this even need to be created?" Ultimately, it's just my opinion on the constant spinoffs and franchise expansion. Sometimes it comes off to me as being solely done for financial gain, rather than true artistic purposes to enhance the work. Clone Wars, without even watching, I can say was a nice addition to the Star Wars canon because George approved of it and had ideas for it. I can't say the same for Episodes 7-9.

But anyway, back to WandaVision...

Does anyone else wonder what Vision's job is? I thought that kind of flew over my head as a throw away joke, but I'm really wondering if those "computational forms" have some greater meaning? The fact that Vision didn't save his boss while he was choking, only when Wanda demanded it could mean something? I don't know if there's something in the MCU that could possibly connect to.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Does anyone else wonder what Vision's job is? I thought that kind of flew over my head as a throw away joke, but I'm really wondering if those "computational forms" have some greater meaning? The fact that Vision didn't save his boss while he was choking, only when Wanda demanded it could mean something? I don't know if there's something in the MCU that could possibly connect to.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I think it’d be cool if we found out Mephisto is in every episode in the form of one character or another. So like Mr. Hart in Episode 1 and Dottie in Episode 2.
Oh that's a fun theory, I wonder if Dottie will be missing after episode 2, like Mr. Hart was after episode 1.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
No, Dottie is in other episodes. You can find her in other features. Señor Scratchy probably won't show up again, though 8D
Ah so much for my theory of people disrupting the sitcom, being removed. Oh who knows Scratchy might, especially if the theory of his identity is true.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Finally! That was some good shit. Can’t wait for next week.

Back