• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Torment: The Missing Link

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
I've been holding off on completing this puppy mainly to assure that nothing in the Ultimania contradicts it.

So recently I came upon a topic which introduced the idea of “torment” being a new enemy:
http://forums.khinsider.com/spoilers/146548-next-enemy-sora-s-most-evil-opponent-theory.html

While I still hold by what I said (that an enemy based on torment would be too close to being Unversed and hence redundant), it actually got me thinking about “torment,” the Unversed, and several other things.

Anyone else disappointed by the Unversed? I sure was. Not because of what they were, as it was a novel idea, but how they were incorporated into the story.
Remember all this talk about the Unversed being the “predecessors” connected to the Heartless and Nobodies? Well, turns out they were only an isolated incident. Because they only existed through Vanitas, they really had no relation to the Heartless and Nobodies, so they seemed to be, above all else, filler enemies.

But the fact that they were sentient negative emotions has intrigued me. And when I think about it, maybe they are, in a sense, connected to the Heartless and Nobodies after all.

Now, so far in the series, all aspects, or ingredients, of the heart (which include light, darkness, and memories) have been shown to have a corporeal form. The heart itself, if we are to assume what Sora says is correct (that Kingdom Hearts is inherently light) is light manifest. The darkness of the heart is made real through the Heartless. So too can the memories of the heart become a physical reality- as it is seen through Castle Oblivion in Chain of Memories and Xion (who changes appearance depending on who’s looking at her).
And now the final element of the heart, the emotions themselves, have been shown to have substance to them, as we can see through the Unversed. Thus, if there is matter to the emotions, we have to treat them as such (as “ingredients” of the heart, so to speak, rather than just a function with no substance) when regarding the Heartless and Nobodies.

Let’s take a look at the process behind the Heartless and the Nobodies.
When a Heart is consumed by darkness, the Heart is released from the body to create a Heartless.
The remaining body and soul that is left behind becomes a Nobody.

But there’s more to it than that, as we already know. The ingredients of the heart, and not just the heart itself, are affected. The heart’s darkness consumes the light, and the memories of the heart are released and transfered to the Nobody.
Question: What happens to the emotions?

Again, if the memories are affected because they have a form to them, would it not be the same for emotions? Something has to happen to the emotions.

Interestingly enough, you’ll find that emotions are the missing link in the Heartless/Nobody formula. Memories are transfered to the left over vessel, but there are no emotions left when the process is complete. Both the Nobodies and the Heartless have been described as “emotionless.” They both do not have hearts.

So, where do the emotions go?

While trying to answer this question, I remembered my thoughts concerning Purebloods and Emblems:

Basically, I agree. There are two types of Heartless, Pureblood and Emblem, as we know, and those two types can be, in turn, born two separate ways.

For Purebloods, they are either born naturally in the realm of darkness or through the darkness affecting an individual in the realm of light/twilight. In the former case, my guess is that they are created from the darkness of the hearts that resonate with KH (even if KH itself is light, that is not to say it does not have darkness since it is, after all, surrounded by the stuff, and it certainly didn't get there out of nowhere).

For Emblems, they too can be born through the darkness affecting an individual like the Purebloods, or they can be created artificially via the Heartless Manufactory essentially infusing darkness into hearts.

Given that both can be created by the darkness affecting individual's heart, it's hard to say what makes an individual become an Emblem Heartless or what makes them become a Pureblood Heartless. I always thought that they'd become an Emblem Heartless if they're attacked and consumed by an outside source of darkness (be it an Emblem/Pureblood, or some other dark creature), while Purebloods, in the case of an individual, are made when they are consumed by their own internal darkness. Hence, it keeps in line with the concept that, no matter what, Emblem Heartless are unnatural (either created in a factory or forcibly in an individual who wouldn't normally have been consumed by darkness) and Purebloods are natural (either existing alongside KH in the dark realm or being born from the heart of an individual that has plunged themselves in their own darkness).

With that in mind, I think that the consequences of Xehanort's experiment allowed Heartless to proliferate.
Originally, when there were only Purebloods, my guess is that they were largely confined to the Dark Realm. By not only introducing them to the realm of light, but also creating the Emblem Heartless, Xehanort altered the very nature of the darkness of the Heartless. It became parasitic. Whereas before, the darkness could only be isolated in individual cases, now it can spread. Heartless can create more Heartless, and are consuming the realm of light.

I know what some of you may be thinking: Why, then, did Sora become a Shadow?
First of all, the Dark Keyblade unlocked the darkness of his own heart. It wasn't an external darkness that consumed him, it was his own. Hence, he became a pureblood.
And naturally, since the strength of the heartless is not based on the strength of the heart (like a Nobody is) but the strength of its darkness, Sora produced a weak Pureblood, having little darkness in his heart.

Lastly, as for why Purebloods don't release hearts while Emblems do, that too, I believe, is dependent on the process of their creation.
For Purebloods, since the darkness is coming from the inside going out, it quite literally eats away at the heart. In other words, the heart is destroyed (and we know a heart can be destroyed, as we see with Vanitas), and there is no heart to liberate.
For Emblems, the darkness originates from the outside, but it doesn't go in... per se. Visualize it more as surrounding, consuming the heart from the outside.

To provide some imagery, if the heart is an egg, and yolk is the darkness, the only way the darkness is coming out to create a Pureblood is through cracking the shell.
For emblems, the yolk of darkness (lol) comes from another source. While it may be attracted to the yolk of darkness inside the egg, the only thing this external yolk really does is douse the outside of the egg. It need not be cracked.

Isn’t funny how this whole time Nomura still hasn’t explained why the Purebloods don’t release hearts (and yet has mentioned in the Days Ultimania that there will be a time to do so in the future)? Here’s why, because it connects to the future of the series:

Because the Emblems are classified as having no hearts, yet they literally have a heart captured within, the fate of the emotions can be dismissed. We could say that, since the heart is still intact, the emotions simply still reside in the heart, where they belong. That’s not to say the Emblem Heartless can feel, as, remember they are classified as having no heart. The heart captive within them isn’t theirs, so they don’t use it.
But for the Purebloods, there’s just really no place for the emotions to go. They can’t reside in the Heartless since the heart (its vessel) has been destroyed, and they cannot go to the Nobodies since, obviously, the Nobodies cannot feel.

So that leaves no other option. They’re consumed by the darkness and end up in the Dark Realm. From there, the emotions are released, given the boot. But where do they go? Where else, but Kingdom Hearts? If they can’t take residence in their own heart, naturally they would flow to the greatest heart in existence.

But you’ve got to wonder what kind of state the emotions are in, and that’s where torment comes in.
As Data Riku puts it, torment is defined as the pain that is felt from losing yourself to the darkness:

Torment.
Losing our hearts, not being ourselves.
The pain of losing ourselves.

Hence, torment itself is really the result of emotion, and it can take the form of virtually any kind of emotion. Anger, hate, jealousy, sadness, you name it.
So what constitutes as being lost to the darkness? For starters, virtually everyone taken by the Heartless! So, yup, there’s torment being created from ALL the heartless out there, and its compounding over time.

When heartless are defeated, essentially the owner's hearts are rejoined with their once extenguished body, whichever world it may be on. As for the whereabouts of hearts in KHII that turn up, this time they remarkably went to the organization (there is a foot note here that says "In Kingdom Hearts II after heartless were defeated, the many hearts were absorbed by the Kingdom Hearts of "people's hearts"). However, in the rare case that the body changed into a Nobody, when there is no container for the heart it resorts to a state of suspension.

In the case of a Nobody being defeated, it's a little more complicated. If the above mentioned hearts are liberated, they return to their original form. However, if the heart is still stolen by the heartless, the Nobody's body is swallowed by darkness. If somewhere in the world their hearts are taken back, perhaps they might be able to return to their original human form.

This rings true enough given certain prerequisites. I’d say that by restoring the original being, Sora is thus freeing them from their torment. But, hold on. Purebloods don’t have any hearts to release, remember? The whole being can’t be restored, obviously, without its heart. So is it possible that what Nomura says here only applies to the Emblems? That is, that in the case of an Emblem, the emotion pent up in the heart goes from being negative to positive when the whole being is restored, since they’re no longer in pain from being taken by the darkness. The Purebloods, meanwhile, have no heart and no emotion to be released. Even though Sora may defeat the Purebloods, the whole being doesn’t return and thus their emotions are not restored either. They remain in Kingdom Hearts.
Given all the Purebloods out there, we certainly have a lot of torment going to Kingdom Hearts. So much so that, perhaps, we might even say that Kingdom Hearts itself is in torment. Really, on a large scale, this is not all too surprising: KH is at the center of the Realm of Darkness, a heart captive in darkness (like with the emblems), creating a state of torment for the emotions within that heart.

And that's it for now.
I actually have more typed out, concerning how I think the story would play (ie how the torment could be released from KH, what the data is within Sora, etc), but I think that it's borderline fanfic-ish, so I'd rather hold off and gauge opinion on what I've written so far.

A

Azrael

You seem to have done it again Grass and still I say Nomura's ideas aren't as good as yours

Trimms

Someone should just sticky all of your topics, because they're the best reads on this site behind the 20th mystery in the BbS Ultimania.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
And Grass makes a foolproof Theory again.

Clapping.gif

Tatsu

I love the theory. Either way its looking like torment is an enemy to Sora.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
Your theories always seem like they would fit perfectly with the plot.
Which is why I have this (semi-off-topic) question -- have you ever been totally right about something, or did you only start theorizing post-KHII?

As far as the actual theory goes, bravo. I would like to hear your ideas about the future of the series, even if they are a bit fan-fic-ish.

Awards
itt i get fellatio
s1britishguy

have you ever been totally right about something, or did you only start theorizing post-KHII?
I actually mentioned this recently.
I only started doing major theorizing after KH2 came out in concerns to how Namine and Roxas were born, the content of the secret ending, stuff like that. Previously I never was prone to much theorizing simply because I lurked forums rather than posted in them (since I found it entertaining enough to read others' theories, keep up to date on KH2 news, and just not contribute).

Aside from really prevalent theories (eg that MX possesses Terra, which I think we all theorized at one point or another, so no one person can really take credit), the only things I can say I definitively got right were:

- Vanitas' face
- Namine writing the message for coded

At least off the top of my head. And those were relatively minor theories compared to some of the others I've churned out. So, yeah, despite the praise, I obviously don't have a big success rate. I don't really make the theories for the purpose of being right anyway, though I suppose it would entail that I should given that they are "theories."

I mean, look at my Unversed=Replicas theory, remember that one? A bit controversial, yes, but definitely was praised. And completely off the mark, lol.

As far as the actual theory goes, bravo. I would like to hear your ideas about the future of the series, even if they are a bit fan-fic-ish.

I'll post them tomorrow then.
It's just that, from this basic theory, I tried to envision a logical procession for what had to be done. And one thing led to another, and then I realized that most of what I was saying wasn't really grounded in anything, just stuff that "works."

That's one thing about having to theorize for a game at the forefront of the series, I guess.
For Birth by Sleep, Days, and even coded (which was based on past events), we knew how they were supposed to end. We understood the context they had in the series, and tried to place them in properly. It made theorizing easier.
But with what I assume to be KH3, the possibilities are completely open, since we have no idea where it's headed, so it really is hard not to make it seem like a fanfic. It's just easier to work backward than forward.

Radon

mofo
So wait, according to your theory is it possible that LS could be one of these torment enemies?

Z

Zulkir

Hmm, what knowledge do we have that the heart is destroyed upon becoming a pureblood?

The only pureblood who gave us perspective was Sora, who simply described it as falling forever.

I always thought that a pureblood results from a person giving into his/her darkness rather than being attacked by emblems, so the heart is still in darkness, and must overcome it in order to return to Kingdom Hearts. Sora was able to do this by connecting his heart to Kairi(instead of going to Kingdom Hearts, his heart was given a stable human form).

One thing though, Sora was a heartless for short-enough time so that his Memories didn't transfer over to the nobody, so I suppose the "emotions" are still unexplained.

However, the heart still isn't destroyed, as Mickey explained in the FM1 cutscene "This is the other side, where stolen hearts are gathered".

I still thought that once the memories are gone, the heart is feral, instinctual, and confused. It would forever wander darkness until it got the willpower to overcome it. That's how heartless are, they seem to act purely on instinct instead of purely on rationality without emotion like the nobodies.

The idea of KH being in a sort of torment due to not having hearts return to it, and instead fall into darkness, is understandable. I don't think there will be "torment" based enemies though, as you said it would be a repeat of the unversed. If square DID want to repeat the unversed, then I suppose the enemy could be Unversed spawned forth from Kingdom Hearts itself instead of Vanitas, a single dark heart.

Relix

A traveler
Awards
Hmm, what knowledge do we have that the heart is destroyed upon becoming a pureblood?

The only pureblood who gave us perspective was Sora, who simply described it as falling forever.

I always thought that a pureblood results from a person giving into his/her darkness rather than being attacked by emblems, so the heart is still in darkness, and must overcome it in order to return to Kingdom Hearts. Sora was able to do this by connecting his heart to Kairi(instead of going to Kingdom Hearts, his heart was given a stable human form).

One thing though, Sora was a heartless for short-enough time so that his Memories didn't transfer over to the nobody, so I suppose the "emotions" are still unexplained.

However, the heart still isn't destroyed, as Mickey explained in the FM1 cutscene "This is the other side, where stolen hearts are gathered".

I still thought that once the memories are gone, the heart is feral, instinctual, and confused. It would forever wander darkness until it got the willpower to overcome it. That's how heartless are, they seem to act purely on instinct instead of purely on rationality without emotion like the nobodies.

The idea of KH being in a sort of torment due to not having hearts return to it, and instead fall into darkness, is understandable. I don't think there will be "torment" based enemies though, as you said it would be a repeat of the unversed. If square DID want to repeat the unversed, then I suppose the enemy could be Unversed spawned forth from Kingdom Hearts itself instead of Vanitas, a single dark heart.

I'm pretty sure the Pureblood are the natural heartless and are the result of natural falling into darkness. In game I believe it said that the hearts are completely consumed, not covered, but consumed by the darkness of the person's heart, eatin away.

Insomniac

Bronze Member
Awards
Why wouldn't the Lingering Sentiments of Terra and Vanitas go to Kingdom Hearts, according to this theory? Unless Kingdom Hearts itself has the emotions within it in a Lingering Sentiment-like Form. Also, if Pureblood Heartless destroy the Hearts therefore releasing the Hearts emotions, then why did Sora and Xehanort's Hearts remain intact and, retain their emotions? These questions are not ment to offend you and they are not an attempt to "prove you wrong" in any way and I apologize if they appear that way.

Marx15

Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω
And Grass...your theories never cease to amaze me....I can't wait to read more.

Z

Zulkir

I'm pretty sure the Pureblood are the natural heartless and are the result of natural falling into darkness. In game I believe it said that the hearts are completely consumed, not covered, but consumed by the darkness of the person's heart, eatin away.

KH1:FM had a cutscene which stated that stolen hearts are gathered in the realm of darkness.

I think that's why purebloods don't release hearts.

The hearts are IN the emblem heartless, but for a pureblood it's fallen into the realm of darkness.

Noctis2.0

KH1:FM had a cutscene which stated that stolen hearts are gathered in the realm of darkness.

I think that's why purebloods don't release hearts.

The hearts are IN the emblem heartless, but for a pureblood it's fallen into the realm of darkness.

That makes a lot of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back