• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

THIS IS ALL WE EAT HERE

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
I don't do environments very often. Let's fix that.

tropical_by_defineprog-d5uqf9j.png

This was for a class, we had to do a "tropical" feeling environment, with the stipulation that it can't have any sentient creatures in it. So I wanted to do sort a sort of fantasy rain forest at night, where the plant life provides its own light source. I feel like some of my edges are a bit too crisp though, and everything looks a little flat as a result....might fix that later.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
I don't do environments very often. Let's fix that.

tropical_by_defineprog-d5uqf9j.png

This was for a class, we had to do a "tropical" feeling environment, with the stipulation that it can't have any sentient creatures in it. So I wanted to do sort a sort of fantasy rain forest at night, where the plant life provides its own light source. I feel like some of my edges are a bit too crisp though, and everything looks a little flat as a result....might fix that later.

Looks very nice! Some of the edges are bit too crisp, like you already pointed out, but I'm sure it'll look nice in the end result!

One thing I'd suggest is putting some more emphasis on the plants as light sources. J.J. Abrams it up a bit, y'know, "lens flares" lol. I see in the surroundings that the plants give off light (great job on the shadows btw, they look really nice!) but the plants themselves don't really give me that sense of "giving off light".

Anyways, hope this helps a bit. Keep it up and well, good luck with your assignment! I'm sure it'll look even better in the end!

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
Digging your stuff man. And your Avvy. Hope you win that Darkstalkers Contest

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Your fantasy forest looks like something you would see in a children's book. I like the plants giving off their own light source. The Darkstalker drawing looks fantastic and badass. I love the tophat and huge claws he has. It's too bad you didn't win the contest, man. I'm definitely gonna start checking out your thread more often. :)

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
482193_10200313818423321_947876203_n.jpg

577919_10200319988577571_377871585_n.jpg

I've been slowly getting the hang of working in 3D. It's really fun. These are the 3D equivalent of doodles, spent no less than an hour or two on each. Stuff like the backgrounds, hairs, and textures, are all pre-rendered stuff available in the program that I dragged onto my models.

Vicodin

relative power
Not a bad thing at all. VENTURE, MY FRIEND, INTO (self) UNCHARTED TERRITORIES. Love me some Hellboy. I like how you integrated actual comic book into the background. Ace.

Eioha

Hell boy is lookin' good! nice shading and lightning! But for me, he somehow looks like he's a candidate for president. In a pink suit! :p But seriously, it's great! It have probably taken a long time, and it looks good! Way to go buddy, good job! Keep practising!

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Another cool looking landscape. :D The dead bird skull really makes it stand out and come to life. I'm not sure what to make of the green plant coming out of it but, the sun and desert floor are nicely done! Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing more landscapes in the future.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
^ That piece is actually hanging on the wall of the illustration hallway at my school, which makes me proud. *v*

ANYWAY, it's been a while since I posted anything here. So here's an update.

I forgot to post my final piece for the landscape project. The theme was "cosmic", and everyone else was doing boring shots of planets or space stations. ...so I did something a little more abstract, which doesn't quite read as a landscape...but was still fun to make.

the_eye_of_god_by_defineprog-d62wj8h.png

The wrestler CM Punk is coming to my home town in the fall, and I wanted to make him something to show my appreciation for the positive influence he's had on me and many others. I always lived a straight edge lifestyle, but I never knew it had a name before him. This also doubles as my sig, since I've always wanted to be represented on forums by my art.

the_cult_of_personality_by_defineprog-d66v6tz.png

These are low-res copies of the cover to one of my current projects; a 32 page fable picture book. I can't decide which one I like better. Ultimately it'll be up to the teacher which one I go with, but I'd like to get my peers' opinions on which one is better.
705616_10200910732065789_242958649_o.jpg

And finally, I've been experimenting with a new style. It's a mix of simplistic and cartoony designs with highly detailed line-work and complex environments.

999534_10200855340481034_941039123_n.jpg

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
One word: WOW!

The abstract is freakin amazing, colorful and...and FANTASTIC! Do you ever sell your art pieces or do anything with them? I can't stop staring at the first one, it's just so pretty and eye catching, literally. xD

Its really cool to hear your school hung that landscape up btw. :D

The Dauntless Merchant on the left looks better to me than the one on the right with the sword. It feels like the man holding up the sword is in the way or maybe I just don't care that he's blonde? -shrugs-

Love the cartoony experiment your doing too. I could see it in a children's book, no idea what t's be about but, I like the expression on the kids face. xD

The wrestler looks great; I notice you sometimes use your drawings as avatars too.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
One word: WOW!

The abstract is freakin amazing, colorful and...and FANTASTIC! Do you ever sell your art pieces or do anything with them? I can't stop staring at the first one, it's just so pretty and eye catching, literally. xD
Thanks :D. I don't really do much in the way of selling, though I really should. I get so caught up in my drive to be a better artist, that I neglect the whole "promotion" part and hardly ever show it to anyone. I mainly only keep coming back to KHI because I want to help keep its art community alive (it used to thrive), and maybe inspire some of the younger members (as well as get any sort of input I can, of course) the way some of the members that used to be here did for me.

The Dauntless Merchant on the left looks better to me than the one on the right with the sword. It feels like the man holding up the sword is in the way or maybe I just don't care that he's blonde? -shrugs-
I forgot to mention the story for this (which was written by Orion about a year ago for a fable project that didn't pan out).The story is that the merchant starts off as this golden heroic adventurer, and spirals from grace. So thematically, the cover that shows the before and the after is more fitting. But, the one with just the cloaked version of the merchant is certainly more grabbing...

Love the cartoony experiment your doing too. I could see it in a children's book, no idea what t's be about but, I like the expression on the kids face. xD
Yessss. Though yeah, coming up with a story to go with this art style will be hard, unless I find a writer who wants to work with me.
The wrestler looks great; I notice you sometimes use your drawings as avatars too.

I actually haven't, though I that's flattering that you'd think some of the avatars I've had were made by me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back