• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread [complete]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

David Boreanaz or Doug Erholtz?

• David Boreanaz (KH1)

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • Doug Erholtz (Everything Else)

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

simple&cleanxiii

Bronze Member
Re: The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread

And yet you defend Willa Holland. :C

Or do I? >:3
Meh, Steve Burton's voice has always bothered me since I first heard it. Although, it might just be how he was directed to act rather than his voice but I don't know.
And lol @ the whole Bale discussion. I don't think anyone really took the whole Terra!Bale thing seriously, it was more of a joke than a real "OHMIGOSHHEISPERFECT".

Last edited:

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

Imo, the voices are just fine. As much as people keep saying how the dubbing was horribly done for the first real trailer, but yeah, it's the first trailer. There was an interview a while ago for Takahiro Sakurai, Cloud's JP VA. In this, he said that when recording for Advent Children first started, the first thing he was required to do was record the lines for the first trailer. I don't know how SE NA does things over here, but it's entirely possible that the lines recorded for the trailer were the first ones. The dialogue will probably sound different in-game.

Edit: The following part of my post is the result of the stupidity on youtube.

One thing that really annoys me is how people are still complaining about how SE chose such "talentless nobodies who can't act if their lives depended on it" for Terra and Aqua. Ignorant much? It's not like it's a complete secret as to how VAs are chosen for roles. Whoever voices Terra and Willa Holland competed with other VAs for the role, and they were selected amongst them for a reason.

I just had to get that off my chest since I stupidly clicked some vid in someone's sig where someone was commentating on the E3 trailer and spent the entire video complaining about the mystery VA and Willa D:<

This is fully true! Again, people have brought this up but if you compare dialogue from FFXIII trailers to the final game, you'll notice the final game dialogue is much more polished. Heck even in movies, some of the dialogue they use for trailers don't end up being in the final movie.

Ikkin said:
Marluxia's VA? Nah, I think choosing a VA that also plays an Organization member for anyone other than that character's Other would cause needless confusion.

Interesting fact. He also plays as Bloo from Foster's Home of Imaginary friends. Hard to imagine, right?

Ikkin said:
I'd think most VAs would assume that Terra should have a deeper voice given his size. =P

Size matters not. Besides not everyone who's tall has a deep voice. And you need to be aware that he has a young face. I personally don't think the deep voice fits him at all. When I first saw Terra in KH2FM secret ending, I never expected him to have a deep voice at all.

Ikkin

Bronze Member

Imo, the voices are just fine. As much as people keep saying how the dubbing was horribly done for the first real trailer, but yeah, it's the first trailer. There was an interview a while ago for Takahiro Sakurai, Cloud's JP VA. In this, he said that when recording for Advent Children first started, the first thing he was required to do was record the lines for the first trailer. I don't know how SE NA does things over here, but it's entirely possible that the lines recorded for the trailer were the first ones. The dialogue will probably sound different in-game.

Well, of course the JP voices are going to have to record the trailer lines first - the rest of the script doesn't exist yet. The US trailers, on the other hand, aren't even shown until after all the voice acting is completed, so they have no real reason to record the trailers separately.

...which isn't to say that they don't do that anyway. I really wouldn't be surprised if they did, considering how they stuck English menus on old screenshots for no real reason.

Size matters not. Besides not everyone who's tall has a deep voice. And you need to be aware that he has a young face. I personally don't think the deep voice fits him at all. When I first saw Terra in KH2FM secret ending, I never expected him to have a deep voice at all.

Well, yeah. I think the current voice fits him a lot better, too.

But I do think that most western VAs would assign Terra a much more masculine-sounding voice than the one he ended up with, if they were left to their own devices. As young as he looks, there's a large number of design elements in his character that signify manliness - and the fact that this is somewhat of a ruse wouldn't be known without an understanding of his personality that the VAs aren't given.

Last edited:

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

Well, of course the JP voices are going to have to record the trailer lines first - the rest of the script doesn't exist yet. The US trailers, on the other hand, aren't even shown until after all the voice acting is completed, so they have no real reason to record the trailers separately.

...which isn't to say that they don't do that anyway. I really wouldn't be surprised if they did, considering how they stuck English menus on old screenshots.

The same applies to English VAs as well. Again watch a trailer from FFXIII and compare the voices to the final game... you'll hear an improvement in acting at the final game. And like I said in my post before, movies do this too. Sometimes in movie trailers you'll hear dialogue that never makes it in the final cut.

xd20

When I saw unknown I mean, generally people haven't a clue who he is. I know who he is. He voiced Duke L'Orange in Mighty Ducks.

xd20

Doesn't really sound like him.

sonickenshin

Awards

I'm listening to his voice demo (his commercial one, since it has his normal speaking voice) right now. It sort of sounds like it in the trailer with "Help me understand, Master Xehanort! What is it that I fail to learn?" But, yeah. ....we need an official confirmation. =/

sonickenshin

Awards

I would, but I don't think he usually replies to fans. He's pretty busy.

Turn

(&#65417;&#9685;&#12526;&#9685;)&#65417;&#65374;&#
Awards
Website
flavors.me

I should have been more thorough~ j3j

"MISSION: GOOGLE" RECOMMENCE.

Sempied

Jeff Bennet does small roles already in KH: (Smee, Barrel, Merlin, Mayor of Halloween Town, Lumiere, Barrel)

IMDB is doing...ugh

Turn

Awards
Website
flavors.me

I'm not so sure that makes it impossible just yet, especially considering that none of those roles used his natural voice. But we'll see. :I

Aaand if IMDb is at least accurate in assuming Bennett lives in Burbank, he's probably not on Facebook after all, but I'll keep looking.

αsiя

space coke

So Merlin is Terra. Who would of known.

Turn

Awards
Website
flavors.me

[video=youtube;nydx4xvqStU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nydx4xvqStU[/video]

He chimes in most clearly at 2:35. I think it's safe to cross Bennett off our list of potential actors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back