• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread [complete]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

David Boreanaz or Doug Erholtz?

• David Boreanaz (KH1)

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • Doug Erholtz (Everything Else)

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Key

Exile
Awards
Re: The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread

thats a bit contradicting....but i guess?

your saying because HJO got it in the first time, that means i should give willa a break because she isn't doing so good at her first time????

i'm not a fan of willa as aqua's VA. i think it is ridiculous to worry about it with sonic, because it's a sonic game, but anything from SE, i would expect a little more. Even for english cast.

I'm not going to support willa simply because she did good "for her first time". As an RPG fan, i do expect VA to be slightly above satisfactory.

willa is jsut below that. why should i be less critical about her VAing aqua?

....how is it contradicting? also, did you not see my edit/the person above me's comment? HJO already had YEARS of experience with acting in general, WAY more than Willa probably had.

My point is, if you don't like Willa as the VA, then you're gonna have to come to terms with the fact that she IS the VA and she IS voicing Aqua and there's REALLY nothing you can do about it. At ALL. I'm not saying you have to stop being critical of Willa, i'm just trying to say that what's done is done, and Willa's voice will be coming out of Aqua's mouth for all 45+hours of that game. :/

I disagree with you; Willa's great as Aqua IMO. =/ And my expectations are actually higher than yours if you only require "slightly above satisfactory".

You keep ninja'ing me, lol. I agree with above post, BTW.

Allister Rose

French Lover

My point is, if you don't like Willa as the VA, then you're gonna have to come to terms with the fact that she IS the VA and she IS voicing Aqua and there's REALLY nothing you can do about it. At ALL. I'm not saying you have to stop being critical of Willa, i'm just trying to say that what's done is done, and Willa's voice will be coming out of Aqua's mouth for all 45+hours of that game. :/
i wasn't talking about kh when i was referring to HJO, but still, the first time he went out. and if your telling me whats done is done, then what is the point of replying to me? i already know that.

Anyways she basically sounds like another namine, but more watered down. I was defintely hoping for someone with more expirience i defintely fear how watered down the secret ending will be.

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards

Anyways she basically sounds like another namine, but more watered down. I was defintely hoping for someone with more expirience i defintely fear how watered down the secret ending will be.

You and I must be listening to two entirely different trailers then; Willa sounds NOTHING like Namine IMO. =/ Brittany Snow or MJM.

Key

Exile
Awards

Like i said, the farther into the trailer you got, the better her acting got. Her scenes went somewhat in chronological order, so we can assume she did fine on the secret ending.

I'm just gonna patiently wait for the game to come out on September 7th and pass my judgement then. I think the rest of ya should do the same ;D

You and I must be listening to two entirely different trailers then; Willa sounds NOTHING like Namine IMO. =/ Brittany Snow or MJM.

completely agree, btw. Aqua sounds like.... Aqua.

Allister Rose

French Lover

Not by voice, but by acting.

and i was referring to re:COM namine. she defintely has similar acting as MJM, and again i said more watered down. You don't have toa gree, but is till feel like she does....

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards

Not by voice, but by acting.

and i was referring to re:COM namine. she defintely has similar acting as MJM, and again i said more watered down. You don't have toa gree, but is till feel like she does....

You're probably one of the few people I've seen who thinks that. And you're kinda contradicting yourself by saying "She DEFINITELY has similarily acting as MJM and is more watered down. But you don't have to agree." The word 'definitely' isn't a word to use in such phrases. =/ You're entitled to your opinion, but your opinion =/= Fact.

Allister Rose

French Lover

You're probably one of the few people I've seen who thinks that. And you're kinda contradicting yourself by saying "She DEFINITELY has similarily acting as MJM and is more watered down. But you don't have to agree." The word 'definitely' isn't a word to use in such phrases. =/ You're entitled to your opinion, but your opinion =/= Fact.
not really, she does have a "similarity".

similarity isn't "exact carbon copy" . Yeah i might be the first who thinks that, but i doubt your saying that to make me feel any better about my own opinion.

not everyone is talkinga bout VA's right now. you don't have to agree, while me saying defintely, doesn't mean it's a contradiction.

Sempied

Agreed. After listening to the trailer later in "He's not as weak as you think", gameplay, and specifically the Cinderella scenes. Willa Holland sounds very good as Aqua. The only flaw I noticed is that since this is her first time voice acting that she must took more time take dive into Aqua's character. She does sound bad at the beginning, but got MUCH better later in.

My judgement is normally very high for VA's. (I hated almost every organization members voice in Re:Com), after watching it over, and over I'm convinced Willa Holland will make a great Aqua. Potential is a very subjectable thing if SE saw it in Willa for aqua it's clear that she might just be sound after all. It's a 45+ hour game, and we got just a 5 minute trailer in comparison to judgement? No. Aqua sounds fine.

There's no way Willa is as bad as Alyson Stoner that I can hopefully/safely say.

Allister Rose

French Lover

opinions are opinions. i still feel aqua's acting is very similar to namine (re:COM) style.

i absolutely hated the cinderella one, i thought that was the worst.

getting better, doesn't = being good.

like i've said before when we first heard there battle screams, Willa is too controlled when voicing, VAing isn't "that" hard actually, even for a first time, she should be more free.

blacksamurai2

Bronze Member

This is a big game, a huge franchise. Don't you think you need to cut her some slack, she could have been very nervous. And she is doing fine, not the person I really wanted.

YUPPP

Isn't a trailer released for people to give judgment? To see what you like and don't like and decide whether or not to buy?
Saying "reserve your judgment for until you play the game" makes no sense because I've never heard a person say, " All the VA's sucked in the trailer so they will suck in the whole game too ". They are giving fair criticism for sub par VA's and an underwhelming trailer.

And I've also noticed all the people saying to reserve judgement are the ones who praised the trailer and voices. I mean shouldn't you all reserve judgment too?

αsiя

space coke

I agree with YUPP, I mean when we first got the grunts and people started bashing it everybody kept saying hold your judgement till we get a trailer. Now that we have a trailer you guys now say to wait for the final game. I've listened to Terra's voice and Aqua's voice numerous times and I still think Terra's voice is too out of place and that Aqua's voice is still bland and emotionless. Sure Willa gets better along the way but she still sounds bland, the only real line I liked from her was the "He's not weak as you think" and if you should know that line is in the beginning of the game and that line is better than how she sounds in CoD and DS. Terra just sounds too young, I have a feeling the epic screams and when Terra gets pissed off will sound pathetic. Will I buy the game, most likely because it's a fun game and an interesting story and this time I want to play it knowing what I'm doing.

Ikkin

Bronze Member

like i've said before when we first heard there battle screams, Willa is too controlled when voicing, VAing isn't "that" hard actually, even for a first time, she should be more free.

I don't understand what's "too controlled" about Aqua's battlecries. o_o Far as I can tell, she went too far on the more forceful ones - there's a bit of distortion from either the microphone or the compression algorithm because of it. Unless you mean the little voice clips, like "Fire!" and "Thunder!"?

And I think you're seriously underestimating the difficulty of voice acting, especially for a dramatic role. I'm pretty sure that, if you tried voicing a character exactly the same way you would on camera, you're going to end up sounding less enthusiastic, so you need to overact to compensate. That works well enough for superheroes and cartoon characters, since they get to take everything up to eleven anyway, but I can't imagine it's easy to find that happy medium between sounding unenthusiastic and sounding like a caricature.

Not to mention that, as a rule, American voice acting tends to not do subtlety, and that skews our perception of what voice acting is supposed to sound like. Which isn't to say that Aqua's voiced perfectly... just that, due to our expectations from voice actors, something that's merely a bit too controlled comes off as completely flat instead (ie. the paopu fruit speech).

αsiя;5107898 said:
Terra just sounds too young, I have a feeling the epic screams and when Terra gets pissed off will sound pathetic.

How old do you think Terra's supposed to be? He sounds fine for a nineteen(ish)-year-old, to me. And I really doubt that the type of voice would be a significant problem in getting Terra to do an epic scream of anger - that has a lot more to do with the actor's talent, I would think. (...then again, screaming is one area in which JPN VAs have NA VAs beat hands-down =/)

siegleeagle

Okay Im tired of all of the people who get mad at a post because they don't like something. IT IS THEIR OPINION AND THEY HAVE A RIGHT TO HAVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For the people who like the VA's good for you, for the ones that don't like them good for you. People need to shut up and realize opinions won't always reflect your own! BAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

Ok now that thats out, I am satisfied with all of the voice actors except aqua's, MX, and just a little (and I mean little) terra's. I cannot understand hardly a word MX says in any of his lines except keyblade. Though i think the voice is good for MX, HE NEEDS TO SOUND LESS RASPY SO I KNOW WHAT HE IS SAYING! Terra has a really good voice actor but I think it should have been a little deeper. Not because he needs to match the japanese actor but because he is a big muscular guy who makes me think about a manly man, and his current actor sounds a little jockish, but I still think it was a good choice.

Now to get on to aqua. I know that speaking about her VA has become a big argument here but please here me out. I think the her current VA is a good VA except for the lucky charm scene. I just dont like that voice for aqua, it doesn;t sound like her to me. I would have loved it if she sounded like Subaru from .hack//sign except not as soft and kind as subaru sounds. More like a cheerful person who is in control.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

Isn't a trailer released for people to give judgment? To see what you like and don't like and decide whether or not to buy?
Saying "reserve your judgment for until you play the game" makes no sense because I've never heard a person say, " All the VA's sucked in the trailer so they will suck in the whole game too ". They are giving fair criticism for sub par VA's and an underwhelming trailer.

And I've also noticed all the people saying to reserve judgement are the ones who praised the trailer and voices. I mean shouldn't you all reserve judgment too?

No, a trailer is used to hype of fans. That's the only purpose it has.

Also voices in trailers are not always the same as in the final game. Take the early FFXIII trailers for example. In those trailers the voice acting really didn't sound that well done but in the actual official game, the lines were delivered differently. It happens in games and movies all the time.

asir said:
Terra just sounds too young,

TOO YOUNG?! How old do you think the guy is, 40?!

αsiя

space coke

TOO YOUNG?! How old do you think the guy is, 40?!

Terra's VA sounds like a teenager. We don't even know how old Terra is but I can say that Terra looks like the type of guy that needs a deep voice. Even if he's 19, 19 year olds have deep voices and whoever is voicing Terra just doesn't match.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

αsiя;5108367 said:
Terra's VA sounds like a teenager. We don't even know how old Terra is but I can say that Terra looks like the type of guy that needs a deep voice. Even if he's 19, 19 year olds have deep voices and whoever is voicing Terra just doesn't match.

Um, no he doesn't. He sounds like someone who's 19-20 years old, which we already know is around his age.
And I don't know any 19 year old who would have a deep voice like the Japanese one. My opinion is actually the direct opposite of your's. I thought the Japanese one was out of place while the English one fits perfectly.
And I really don't know any teenager who sounds like Terra's VA... AT ALL.

And Terra may have a strong body but that doesn't always equel deep voice. He has a young face and young age. Just because he looks strong won't effect his voice. Ever see those weird 7 year old kids who go on TV because they look like wrestlers however their voices remain the same as a 7 year old?

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website
mypage.na.square-enix.com

αsiя;5108367 said:

Terra is 19-21. Even though some young men that age do have deep voices, Terra doesn't sound like a young teenager.

For the record, I thought Terra's Japanese VA did fine.

Sempied

αsiя;5107898 said:
I agree with YUPP, I mean when we first got the grunts and people started bashing it everybody kept saying hold your judgement till we get a trailer. Now that we have a trailer you guys now say to wait for the final game. I've listened to Terra's voice and Aqua's voice numerous times and I still think Terra's voice is too out of place and that Aqua's voice is still bland and emotionless. Sure Willa gets better along the way but she still sounds bland, the only real line I liked from her was the "He's not weak as you think" and if you should know that line is in the beginning of the game and that line is better than how she sounds in CoD and DS. Terra just sounds too young, I have a feeling the epic screams and when Terra gets pissed off will sound pathetic. Will I buy the game, most likely because it's a fun game and an interesting story and this time I want to play it knowing what I'm doing.
Actually a lot of people were the complete opposite of Aqua as they are now compared to her, and Terra's old gameplay. The same can be said for Terra.

Aqua's can't be as bad as Alyson Stoner at the least for all who don't like her. Terra actually sounds like he fits his character age, and closer to his personality. His original japanese seiyuu sounded more deep that felt it was more based on Terra's masculine appearance despite myself still enjoying him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back