• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The "Let me help you in Japanese" thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

mz. eggsy

http://j.mp/jIANdM
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Aku said:
It makes my heart skip a beat seeing your avatar change, MT. The series ended badly, btw. I'm sliding a tad off subject but I need to speak out on behalf of the many fans who burst boils.
Haha. I like Arika, though I've read that some people find her completely annoying, which I don't quite grasp yet. I guess I've seen worse.

Yeah, the ending was really botched. It's a good show, just not a great one. Did you notice that some people don't die even though they logically should in Otome? (i.e. axe to the back, impalement, gunshot through the head)

Ahem, back on topic a bit...

Aku said:
Hmm, I don't remember my own experiences when reading the book. Which one, my friend?
That would be the "for Dummies" edition. I wasn't able to sniff out the other two books you mentioned, and there really wasn't much else to choose from at the Barnes & Noble I scavenged at. They had a bunch of resources on Kanji, and I say that I don't plan on learning as of now. I'm not in the mood to get my ass kicked.

As I've likely said before, I am disappointed that the book doesn't at least introduce you to reading katakana somewhat. A start's a start, though. Right now I'm trying to practice spotting these suffixes and counting. It's going very well, though I need more discipline.

stephaknee

Hakuna Matata
Yeah, the ending was really botched. It's a good show, just not a great one. Did you notice that some people don't die even though they logically should in Otome? (i.e. axe to the back, impalement, gunshot through the head)

Yes, I noticed that too, specifically with one person. o_-;

I noticed a lot of people who watch Anime, and haven't studied an ounce of japanese, love to claim they speak the language. They proudly yell out "SUGOI!" and know pretty much nothing else. I know next to nothing about Japanese and I'll be happy to admit it ^^;

文偉立

newb programmer
MT said:
That would be the "for Dummies" edition. I wasn't able to sniff out the other two books you mentioned, and there really wasn't much else to choose from at the Barnes & Noble I scavenged at. They had a bunch of resources on Kanji, and I say that I don't plan on learning as of now. I'm not in the mood to get my ass kicked.

As I've likely said before, I am disappointed that the book doesn't at least introduce you to reading katakana somewhat. A start's a start, though. Right now I'm trying to practice spotting these suffixes and counting. It's going very well, though I need more discipline.

Sorry to disappoint. I think I can think back and remember myself when reading that book. It's basically a grasp on Japanese culture and verbal speech. Yes, the lack of furigana is a pain but I started off slow in my early weeks. If you actually can't remember the phrases, I'm pretty sure the cultural trivia still stays with you.

Baka_ushi said:
I noticed a lot of people who watch Anime, and haven't studied an ounce of japanese, love to claim they speak the language. They proudly yell out "SUGOI!" and know pretty much nothing else. I know next to nothing about Japanese and I'll be happy to admit it ^^;

Anime is a good way to pick up improper speech. It's not the best way to learn formalities.

As for my other book that I supposedly borrowed to my friend, she lost it. Other than the fact it was small, portable, quick to the point, and not at all costy. If I remembered the name of the book, I'd give you a hint but it is a Barron's book and that's all I know.

文偉立

newb programmer
Master T said:
Yeah, I noticed that anime themes like to use the word "anata", even though it's considered boorish. Do you know why they include it?

As I said before, anime is informal. If you really take everything off of anime, you're basically speaking in slang or not respectfully. Why they have informalities is beyond me, but I do know it becomes more appealing to the audience.

mz. eggsy

http://j.mp/jIANdM
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
アクラ said:
As I said before, anime is informal. If you really take everything off of anime, you're basically speaking in slang or not respectfully. Why they have informalities is beyond me, but I do know it becomes more appealing to the audience.
That's what I figured. That's the only sore thumb I hear, but I wonder... what others are considered as rude? Hm...

Oh well, it's always nice to listen and be able to identify some of the words you hear, or at least to know that it's a verb or a negative. It just makes you feel good.

E

Eclipse

It's funny that even though I say I can read and type japanese, I have an accent myself. Then again, it's quite difficult to rid of. Like a Chinese man learning English who's put his heart and sould to learn but in front of an American, they break down in fear. That's my experience in front of any japanese person.

I'm a beginner in japanese. extremely beginner...like only know a few words

but i'm completely advanced and fluent in english and spanish, and i have no accent in one or the other (i sound like a total hispanic when i speak spanish, and i sound american when i speak english)

So i already know how to create vowels and sounds to match, so when i do speak japanese i sound just like (when i hear natives speak it) Japanese people. I have never had a problem with accents in other languages, i even speak some german, and people said i sound like a true german xD

文偉立

newb programmer
Eclipse said:
So i already know how to create vowels and sounds to match, so when i do speak japanese i sound just like (when i hear natives speak it) Japanese people. I have never had a problem with accents in other languages, i even speak some german, and people said i sound like a true german xD

That was how many months ago?

Fluency through speech is difficult at its most early on. Of course, it takes only a bit of practice. There's no other help I can give other than speak casually AT ALL COSTS. You'll sound retarded trying to sound like Ichigo, Sasuke, or whatever anime character exists.

文偉立

newb programmer
RIDETHEPIG said:
AKURA?

YOU'RE ALIVE?

Indeed I am. That's more than I can say about this thread. It toggles in and out between stability.

====

Allow me a moment to site a page valuable to anyone struggling with particles (which I found recently)
ここ

Last edited:
L

lotuslee666

konichiwa!nani?mushi mushi but whats up with this japanese translation thing??

E

Eclipse

^ ok so where do you go to school for japanese, Akura? maybe there's a similar school near me >_>

also, i'm learning japanese, and i'm not having much trouble at all with pronounciations....i'm a bit worried about a few things

A.) particles (holy crap)
B.) kanji
C.) learning the words for different items.

Do you have any good sources that can teach me what certain words are in japanese? like table....what's that? and stuff like that?

Also, a good kanji source that has a nice amount of kanji so i can learn?

also when's the best time to learn kanji, after i can structure my sentences and after i have hiragana and katakana memorized perfectly, right? Well then, how would i learn kanji? do i just normally go around memorizing each symbol and what it means?

im a bit confused about kanji. I hear they symbols can mean certain things, like one kanji symbol can stand for ocean....while if you write "Kairi" in hiragana, it's 3 symbols long. So is kanji just a symbol that stands for a word? or is it an actual sound that you build together to make sentences?

sorry for all the questions

thanks in advance!

文偉立

newb programmer
Eclipse said:
^ ok so where do you go to school for japanese, Akura? maybe there's a similar school near me >_>

I mostly went for schooling for the basics. It was kinda ghey since I felt it abdicated my keen knowledge at that point. The later weeks were much harder. But to not stray off the question, it was a private class consisting of only 14 people a class, two hours a week in NEW YORK [the caps might be the problem]. As for the location: very far down Broadway St.

also, i'm learning japanese, and i'm not having much trouble at all with pronounciations....i'm a bit worried about a few things

A.) particles (holy crap)
B.) kanji
C.) learning the words for different items.

Pronunciation is not hard. Fluency is. As for your "few things",

A) Particles are a >femaledog< to master especially with location. For example, (romajinized for you youngsters) Doko kara desu ka? and doko ni kara desu ka? are basically the same phrase involving the with and without of "ni". Which one is the grammatically correct phrase? I'll leave you to decide (psst, it's the first one)

B) Kanji. The motherload of hardships. Only three kinds of people can deslipher their meanings off the back of their hands: Japs, Chinks, and maybe that boy from Shining. People say Chinese is hard to learn. Yes, the Ji count in Chinese is much more (1.5 times more) but hell, Jap has Kunyomi and Onyomi additionally. I've got to say that Japanese Kanji is difficult. Kids don't learn Kanji until their later years and through intensive learning (they basically read Kana for most their time). How did I learn it then? Thankfully I come from a chinese family...even though my family still mourns the Nanjing incident *COUGH*

C) I don't understand what you mean by that.

Do you have any good sources that can teach me what certain words are in japanese? like table....what's that? and stuff like that?

Books? You gotta love books. The interweb is a huge place to learn stuff off of (i.e. I'm getting indignant SAT prep off of google).

Also, a good kanji source that has a nice amount of kanji so i can learn?

Interweb. Books. No one site can give you all the info you need.

also when's the best time to learn kanji, after i can structure my sentences and after i have hiragana and katakana memorized perfectly, right? Well then, how would i learn kanji? do i just normally go around memorizing each symbol and what it means?

Whoa, a load of questions, young grasscricket.

For one, structuring is good...but you're gonna have to hurt your precious thumb and forefinger writing out everything. Learn some kanji if you can squeeze it in.

Learn some kanji once you have grasp of your kana. If you wanna do it the long way, make a chart of single characters and columnize "Onyomi" and "Kunyomi". For lazy people, look at it until your eyes hurt and memorize.

I'll hint you in on the last question that reading isn't really as important as speaking. If you have someone fluent, you can ask what a character means. A character usually never changes meaning unless juxtaposed to another to make a new word. To answer your question, sure. It's not impossible.

im a bit confused about kanji. I hear they symbols can mean certain things, like one kanji symbol can stand for ocean....while if you write "Kairi" in hiragana, it's 3 symbols long. So is kanji just a symbol that stands for a word? or is it an actual sound that you build together to make sentences?

Let's rephrase "symbols" for characters now on. Kanji are words. They are basically the Chinese adaptation that helps Japanese writing differentiate from the spelling tactic that we use in America (the whole alphabet system). Some words cannot be put in Kanji because they were either not adapted by Chinese origin or changed through time. So to answer this set of questions, they are words, not just sounds.

sorry for all the questions

thanks in advance!

Thanks for being a gent. Now, time to continue some Japanese elaboration. With moi, Akura. And here's your host:

Macau-RuinsofStPauls4.jpg

AHEM, wrong picture. (That doesn't count as nudity >.>)

Anyhow, I've returned from a two week vacation with 9 days in HK and 5 in Tokyo/Kyoto. I wouldn't really want to say that Tokyo really sucked but Tokyo really sucked. As for Kyoto, it was a great joy just to walk around (go to the Nishirin Nippori Ryokkan hotel. They rock.)

Let me cover the basics for your Japanese-loving wannabe tourists. Tokyo's very vacant. The Imperial Palace is not permissable to regulars (that's what you get since the entrance fee is free). The biggest tourist attractions are very similar: they're just friggin' shrines. The zenith of my visit in Tokyo was seeing a group of people sitting outside another shrine located around Harajuku. Some of the girls looked amazing...but mostly goth-emo mix. Grab yourself a pamphlet and read up all about it when you can.

For Kyoto, just enjoy traveling all over the place. It's actually a great tourism site. Of course, Japan itself is friendly to tourism but their linguistic and communication adeption is subpar...(there's euphemism for you: "subpar"). Most Japanese natives can't speak English or anything other than Japanese. And let me say now that I ran into a few words before I never knew. Around 40, which I logged into my book for the just-in-case-it-really-does-happen. I don't speak very quickly. In fact, they practically sound like car engines when they speak compared to moi. If you ever had to think of quick-tongue languages, Italian or Espanol may come to mind but if you want auctioneer-fast, Japanese is somewhat difficult to comprehend firsthand with the average Japanese person.

That was a poorly covered "I spoke Japanese but didn't speak quickly" ruse. What can I say, I'm still a student. Only 4th grade Japanese student level may I add. Ahah, It's still darn good for my taste.

That's all for now. If you have any doubts on your skills, feast on this site: http://www.timwerx.net/language/index.htm

The guy's gotten a grip on some of the greatest hints in Japanese mastery down into a nutshell. Learn something from him if you can. That's all for me for now. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back