• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The "Let me help you in Japanese" thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

LordMune

ANTHEISTNOSTIC
Awards
Japanese sentence structure occasionally makes me want to shoot myself, so I'll stay out of this.

*flees*

文偉立

newb programmer
LordMune said:
Japanese sentence structure occasionally makes me want to shoot myself, so I'll stay out of this.

Heh, they're not too hard. Particles are the pain in the ass in sentence structures.

は (ha --> wa) - Topic marker
が (ga) - Subject marker
を (o) - Direct object marker
の (no) - "-'s"/possessive
か (ka) - "or"
と (to) - "and"
に (ni) - "to, at"
も (mo) - "also"
まで (made) - "until"
から (kara) - "from"
え (e) - "to, towards" (directional)
で (de) - "by, with" (specifies as in an averb or adjective)

Understand the particles and the only trouble with japanese sentence structures lies in the vocabulary.

LordMune

ANTHEISTNOSTIC
Awards
I've had most, if not all, of the particles beaten into me, but my vocabulary is lacking. :(

文偉立

newb programmer
As do I...I do sigh.

Actually, I'll be honest to say parts of me read kanji in chinese in my mind because the characters are similar in meaning and I may have more knowledge of the meaning but not know its pronunciation. I'm learning though and it takes me a while to just spill out the pronunciation.

Particles are the leading headache of sentence structure. I remember the trouble of finding differences in "ni" and "e" a few months back and I still struggle with the "o" particle, even now.

文偉立

newb programmer
kairigirl said:
What's Sarah in Japanese? I have it in chinese, but what it is written in whatever in Japanese?

Sarah? It's just サラ. Nothing much else. If you desire a kanji title, I am not a native of the culture and only the natives would know that. Hope it helps.

o-o I can tell you the meaning of my name if it's needed.

Sure.

文偉立

newb programmer
We have one who votes Hiragana.
We have one who votes Katakana.
Anyone for Kanji? :p (Like there'll actually be one)

Kana is far too simple compared to Kanji. When you get to comprehending Furigana, your head feels a capability to burst.

It's 96 kana characters vs 2000 Kanji characters. It's overwhelming.

LordMune

ANTHEISTNOSTIC
Awards
I like furigana best. Because it decreases the chance of kanji making my head implode YAY

文偉立

newb programmer
I like furigana best. Because it decreases the chance of kanji making my head implode YAY

ROFL. Kanji itself isn't really Japanese anymore. Japanese is Furigana on a basis. Kanji written out is...chinese o.o

XIIIth Knight said:
and how many characters for the hiragana? because i only know a few

46 hiragana
46 katakana
---
96 kana
---
2000 kanji
===
2096 characters to remember
===
approxiametely 1500 extra pronunciations for all kanji
===
3596 prononciations

文偉立

newb programmer
Intimidated? It gets harder, much harder. Then, once you get past the hard stuff, it just goes downhill from there and everything flows right into your mind. I'm at that inciting point right now and I want to get over this hill so everything gets easier.

Anyways, Japanese is a hard language in the beginning and if you are a newb, it's a bitch to learn. Then again, I don't mind anyone being a newb but showing off makes me want to murder babies.

XIIIth_Knight

Banned
o_O yea i know how it is at the beginning of every language, im learning 3 at the same time and believe me i get confused a lot

文偉立

newb programmer
Gradual Road is the way to go for you then. Rapid's too much for you.

Japanese is a bitch to learn for a while. When I say while, I mean a while. It all clicks in after at least a few months and the most important thing is sentence structure, not the cheezy anime lines you might remember xD.

SuperMax

I only read the first page, so correct me on what i say wrong since i was to lazy to read the last 2 pages. So, i might be repeating what most of you be saying or i might not continue off the conversations you guys are up too. anyway, i remember that akura said that he is very timid in front of a japanese person and how he can't get rid of his accent. well, try this, go to japan and have a japanese guy that works in one of the ride in disney land talking to you in one of the most basic japanese. Thats what happened to me during my trip to tokyo last summer. During that time, i was very fluent in basic japanese(at least thats what some fluent japanese people i know say). So, this guy told me to sit more to the right, i was so scared i got right confuse from left so i moved left instead. I just shut my trap that time because i thought i might make a mistake and make a fool out of myself. anyway, enough of my spamming.

this really had motivate me to start learning again. I still prefer taking lesson, but its quite impossible for NYC because i can't find any school for it. Should i stop learning romaji for now? because many friend that i know that are taking japanese or learning themselves advised me to drop it and learn it later. like after i'm like 80% fluent in speaking and reading it.

one more thing, damn you akura, why did u have to transfer out of your original HS. now i got noone to converse with in japanese now. which lowered my morale in learning it. Also, think i can call you by your real name, i'm quite uncomfortable to call you akura. I don't mind if you use my real name though.

文偉立

newb programmer
黃征路 said:
I only read the first page, so correct me on what i say wrong since i was to lazy to read the last 2 pages. So, i might be repeating what most of you be saying or i might not continue off the conversations you guys are up too. anyway, i remember that akura said that he is very timid in front of a japanese person and how he can't get rid of his accent. well, try this, go to japan and have a japanese guy that works in one of the ride in disney land talking to you in one of the most basic japanese. Thats what happened to me during my trip to tokyo last summer. During that time, i was very fluent in basic japanese(at least thats what some fluent japanese people i know say). So, this guy told me to sit more to the right, i was so scared i got right confuse from left so i moved left instead. I just shut my trap that time because i thought i might make a mistake and make a fool out of myself. anyway, enough of my spamming.

Everyday useage vs. a minor visit, my friend. It's intimidating because as an asian, they immediately assume I am chinese and take for granted I am not.

this really had motivate me to start learning again. I still prefer taking lesson, but its quite impossible for NYC because i can't find any school for it. Should i stop learning romaji for now? because many friend that i know that are taking japanese or learning themselves advised me to drop it and learn it later. like after i'm like 80% fluent in speaking and reading it.

Manhattan. They have classes weekly but a test every week. 80% is a bit much. In fact, it's too much. I really doubt you can manage a conversation with my proctor

one more thing, damn you akura, why did u have to transfer out of your original HS. now i got noone to converse with in japanese now. which lowered my morale in learning it. Also, think i can call you by your real name, i'm quite uncomfortable to call you akura. I don't mind if you use my real name though.

Eh, Akura's fine. Just keep calling me that. I don't know what to call you except 黃征路 because the kunyomi is too extensive.

If you try to converse with me, you might have your arse kicked if you try to pull anything xD. Seriously, I've been studying my ass off.

====
I was actually going to teach you all Japanese swears, but it is against forums policy so I apologize. I just spent two minutes thinking about it but I knew it was unethical so I can't. Besides, if I teach you swears, I'll be a bad person, no?

SuperMax

oh no you won't be. i know quite a bit myself. for example, i know how to call some1 a F**King arsehole in japanese. I don't mind you teaching me it though.

edit
i forgot to say this. you may call me Wong Seiro. the first Kanji actually represent my actual last name and thats how you write it in chinese too. Seiro means rightiousness. Also, when you say my japanese in chinese, it actually sounds quite neat.

文偉立

newb programmer
黃征路 said:
oh no you won't be. i know quite a bit myself. for example, i know how to call some1 a F**King arsehole in japanese. I don't mind you teaching me it though.

I can say much worse. The F-bomb's overrated. xD

====
Time for more lessons.

A plenty of people get this confused: は and が

は is "wa" for the topic particle marker.
が is "ga" for the subject marker.

Think it's easy?

Try to put this in a sentence "Wilson went to Los Angeles"

What do you use? Wilson is the subject right? Wrong. He is the topic

"ウイルソンはロスアンジェルスに行った"

Heh, I got this wrong on my first day at the afterschool...friggin Melissa corrected me >.> (even though she's hot and all, I hate her)

ANYWAYS, even if you knew this already, which I do, obviously by now, the books I ascribed before should be of help. Be sure to read up on it. Differentiating は and が is very important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back