• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The "Let me help you in Japanese" thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eclipse

Thanks for all your help Akura!! I think i'll try to find some japanese schools. after all i live really close to a huge city, im sure i can find one.

Learn some kanji once you have grasp of your kana. If you wanna do it the long way, make a chart of single characters and columnize "Onyomi" and "Kunyomi". For lazy people, look at it until your eyes hurt and memorize.

What exactly is Onyomi and Kunyomi? also i had a few questions

the o-so common question of "wa" and "ha"

I hear things about it but i don't really understand when you use which for what. Like you write "ha" but it is pronounced "wa" or you use them for 2 different purposes. Can you clarify on the whole "wa" "ha" issue? thanks

Also, if you notice (which i'm sure you have) in kana there are 2 Ji's and Zu's, when do i use which one? Can you clarify on this

Thank you Akura-san.

LordMune

ANTHEISTNOSTIC
Awards
The particle "wa" is written "ha". Everything else is pronounced as it is written.

As for the jis and dzu/zus, I dunno. Just use the correct spelling of the word. There is usually little audible difference between them.

I'm dying to see Akura's take on this, though. He is more pedagogic than me.

E

Eclipse

The particle "wa" is written "ha". Everything else is pronounced as it is written.

ah. affirmative. understood. so i would never ever dare write わたし

i would write は instead, right? affirmative.

i would also like to know how in bloody hell can you type in japanese on a keyboard? do japanese keyboards just have the hiragana/katakana written on the keys?

how can i type in japanese with an english keyboard? kthx

LordMune

ANTHEISTNOSTIC
Awards
Japanese keyboards often have a dual rômaji/kana layout. You can type in Japanese on western keyboards using Japanese IMEs (Input Method Editors)- the roman letters you type are instantly converted to kana, and then you get drop-down lists for kanji.

Try the Office XP Global IME (Japanese), if you're running XP, that is.

EDIT: IMEs generally require a modicum of computer literacy to get running, just so you know. Start by installing support for the Japanese language from the Control Panel.

E

Eclipse

^ support for the japanese language? mind elaborating, pl0x?

i have the japanese language pack installed, and i think i have spanish installed on my western keyboard. might as well install japanese xD

EDIT: help. i have windows xp home edition. i added japanese to my built-in language input thing.

but when i type, it types in english even though the selection is on japanese x__x

i went to properties and made sure it input hiragana, but stilll nothing.

Last edited:

文偉立

newb programmer
Oh, sorry for the everlong delay.

Here's a little pin on the whole "wa" trouble. It is は (ha) to begin with. At times, it is read as "ha" but others is read as "wa" (mostly only for particle standalone usage)

As for this statement:

Mune said:

Not particularly true. へ changes its pronunciation at times to plain "e".

BTW, folks, I no longer use the same method for Japanese typing. On my trip in Japan, I purchased a keyboard. It wasn't compatible at first with my computer but I had some tech geeks fix that problem. They're not adept to the whole Japanese writing system though so I have to slowly grow adapted to this darn thing. (The @ key is to the right of P)

LordMune

ANTHEISTNOSTIC
Awards
アクラ said:
Not particularly true. へ changes its pronunciation at times to plain "e".
In my defence, THAT ISN'T TRUE but it is.

Sometimes, mind. Sometimes. Sigh...

Eclipse; So I am going to assume you already have the Language Bar? Jolly good. Select Japanese, Restore the bar to its original position, and choose hiragana/katakana instead of Direct Input under Input Mode.

文偉立

newb programmer
Sounds familar. I might've run into that program in the past. That is, I wasn't very saavy with it at first but that was about some 20+ months ago. I wasn't very saavy in Japanese either.

E

Eclipse

Eclipse; So I am going to assume you already have the Language Bar? Jolly good. Select Japanese, Restore the bar to its original position, and choose hiragana/katakana instead of Direct Input under Input Mode.

i have the language bar, and i added Japanese under language, and the keyboard layout is Japanese Inupt System (MS-IME 2002)

when i select japanese in the language bar, it doesn't work. I type onto ANYTHING and it just types out regular english letters like an american keyboard.

I'm not sure what else to do

and i'm not sure how to change the direct input into hiragana/katakana

help? thx

LordMune

ANTHEISTNOSTIC
Awards
Eclipse said:
i have the language bar, and i added Japanese under language, and the keyboard layout is Japanese Inupt System (MS-IME 2002)

when i select japanese in the language bar, it doesn't work. I type onto ANYTHING and it just types out regular english letters like an american keyboard.

I'm not sure what else to do

and i'm not sure how to change the direct input into hiragana/katakana

help? thx

Are you sure you've added a Japanese keyboard layout? This is what it should look like; (just, please, don't be thrown off by "japanska", it's "japanese" in the language of my OS- swedish)

langbarsettingsbr7.jpg

E

Eclipse

^ weird. i did nothing, and it just started working. ok so it works now

but i have one problem.

x__x how do i find out how to type wa, and ka, and la etc.? do i just keep pressing the keys until i finally find the character i'm looking for? xD

LordMune

ANTHEISTNOSTIC
Awards
Just type "wa" or "ka". Check that your Input Settings (Input Style -> Properties) is set to Rômaji Input.

E

Eclipse

o__o oh

that would make sense...lemme test it out わたし

やった!!!

yay it works

i typed watashi, and then yatta

woot

woot

i'm such an idiot

now i have a question. must you type spaces when you type in japanese? because when i hit the "spacebar" it highlights the sentence and makes kanji or something.

Is that what the spacebar is for? to convert what you typed into kanji?

E

Eclipse

Indeed.

No spaces necessary.

womg.

japanese pwns. <333

but so spaces translate kana into kanji? cuz that's what it did to me x__x it's too bad i know absolutely zilch kanji at this point xD

one more question (off topic)

when writing/typing names in japanese, do you do it in katakana? cuz i know katakana is for typing foreign names and things, but say like Akura's name, i see it's in Katakana....err....why?

LordMune

ANTHEISTNOSTIC
Awards
You usually only write foreign names and words in katakana- however, manga writers like to write the names of characters in katakana, because it is "lol teh kewl" or something. It also simplifies things, name-kanji would look out of place in a text of otherwise kana-majority.

And yes, the space bar is supposed to do that.

E

Eclipse

^ yay. mmk back to my japanese studies

*sticks pencil behind ear -- looking all nerdy*

must memorize that kana!! ka, ki, ku, ke, ko....

文偉立

newb programmer
Guess I never really did deal with that program before.

Good luck with all 92 characters.

Mune said:
You usually only write foreign names and words in katakana- however, manga writers like to write the names of characters in katakana, because it is "lol teh kewl" or something. It also simplifies things, name-kanji would look out of place in a text of otherwise kana-majority.

Mostly just to clarify the name to everyone. It's difficult to transition such a scenario in Japanese but Kunyomi can have several pronunciations as were as a few fluxes with Onyomi. If written out in Katakana, the pronunciation is clear to everyone.

Clips said:
but so spaces translate kana into kanji? cuz that's what it did to me x__x it's too bad i know absolutely zilch kanji at this point xD

Well, I don't know about the answer but I'll say that there are many hononyms in Japanese. Be sure to select the correct kanji. (i.e. even the simplest kanji as in 日本 can be mistakened for 二本; one means "two things" and the other means "Japan". Kanji is very critical but crucial)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back