• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The "Let me help you in Japanese" thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

LordMune

ANTHEISTNOSTIC
Awards
墨客, bokkaku, combines "author" and "artist" in one fell swoop. 能文家, noubunka, means skilled writer, 創作者, sousakusha, is more "novelist". Or Dreamer should be 夢想家, musouka. As for artist, there are millions of synonyms. 芸術家, geijutsuka is bound to sit well with the Naruto crowd.

EDIT: If I just hi-jacked a thread or usurped any authority, I apologize. I'm too tired to think straight.

kairigirl

Bang!
Awards
Website
kemine.deviantart.com
*falls over*

I'm a writer on a daily-basis. I wouldn't say skilled, but just a writer as a hobby. I don't really want them both in the same word cause I want three seperate things that mean writer, artist, and dreamer.

As for artist, I just draw for fun mostly. I think I just want something that would say that I draw, am creative, and enjoy art, I really don't know what else I could say.

Dreamer..meh, think of as I dream often of visiting other places and such, I zone out alot in school and dream of meeting certain people and such, an idealist kind of.

Does this help any, or am I being a burden? o-o

文偉立

newb programmer
LordMune filled in my place? o.0

My penance for taking a nap...I'm quite hectic this week.

==============

Just read...trying to help now.

*falls over*

I'm a writer on a daily-basis. I wouldn't say skilled, but just a writer as a hobby. I don't really want them both in the same word cause I want three seperate things that mean writer, artist, and dreamer.

Writer - 著述家 [chyojyukka] <--Funny...I learned it before and forgot how to type it...took me about 20 minutes...
Artist - 絵描人 [ekajin] <---Wow...a challenge...(looking up my jap book)
Dreamer - 夢想家 [musouka] <-- Apparently, LordMune got this too...as did my book...

Does this help any, or am I being a burden? o-o

Nah; appeasement is fun.

Last edited:

文偉立

newb programmer
kairigirl said:
Thanks. o-o And I can write those going down, right? Like, the farthest character to the left would be at the top and the one at the right would be on the bottom. o-o

Correct. If you wish to do Japanese letter scripture in its correct form, it's top-right corner to bottom-left corner. It is downwards if you desire it.

If you want to westernize it, just lay it out like you would in a word document...or anything that involves typing. Across.

文偉立

newb programmer
kairigirl said:
Thanks. I'm actually using them as..could you call them talismans? I want to print them off and then paint them onto pieces of paper to hang down as bookmarks. o-o So..up and down is kind of nice, thanks again!

No Problem ^^ Hence the purpose of this thread.

I just hope no one else uses that freedom too literally and heavily >.>

marlousmiracle

For the Future
Website
www.myspace.com
xansemx said:
I just googled right now and found this, hope it helps.
http://www.freedict.com/onldict/jap.html

Anyways, Akura-san :)p ) thanks for your help. I've always wanted to learn Jap but I never really taken an initiative, until now. This thread kinda motivated me once again. I'll have to check those books you recommended and hopefully in the future I can try out what I learn with you. :)

Yes thank you

文偉立

newb programmer
Don't mention it. This thread is a help to any who need it but only refuse those who take it for granted. I will edit this post later on to extend on any reference to Japanese material I feel is neccessary.

文偉立

newb programmer
xD Translators are horrible at times. I used it in my early learning years and I rarely use them unless I speak to people on Gendou. I'll be more than glad to help any if they need advice to suffice to advancements.

Here's something I'm currently working on: accents. No matter where you're born, you're not sufficient in the language, accents are prone to pop up, therefore, I will tell you NOW, that plenty of starters have accents and I will guarantee you all have accents. Of course, I suppose you can say "Konnichiwa" perfectly fine now but read this the first time as fast as you can and tell me you do not stutter: "Goranninnarimashitaka". You might have heard that term before (I'm being lax, give me a break) and you might be able to say it with ease but I guarantee it's quite difficult to get rid of some accents.

There's a huge mess of other things in the way of perfecting-the-pitch (as my teacher calls it). If you are an anime lover, you might stress your speech to a crazy extent. But the thing about some anime (which is why I don't prefer it) is they translate well but the speech sounds like this:
Speaker Number one: HoW aRE you DOING!?

Remember, anime's anime. You need to get in contact with ACTUAL japanese speech (anime's still cool but the stress is different to fit the anime theme). You might want to remember the gender-wise tones as well. I will be all honest when I say when I started out, I spoke with a woman's tone because I relied too heavily on anime.

Girls, you're lucky you can adjust your tone to both male and female and it's acceptable
Men, sound as casual as you can because a little high pitched shreak is humiliating.

Either way, speak casually. xD

*currently attempting to fix accent to perfection* >.<

Random Fact: I got a 98 on my last test. TAKE THAT MELISSA! I BEAT YOU BY FOUR POINTS! xD

Last edited:
Awards
The computer I'm currently on doesn't have any type of Kanji font, so about half of your post (and your sig, for that matter) show up as little boxes..though frankly, I'd take little boxes over confusing Japanese text almost any day.

文偉立

newb programmer
Hmm, Son of Sam, I do not blame you but Japanese is hard to understand but boxes all the time just looks like "Ro-ro-ro-ro-ro-ro. Ro-ro-ro-ro"

There is a link in my sig which will allow you to download the text if you are interested.

Awards
I am. xD I can read most Japanese texts, and though I am not fluent in the language, I could survive in the country if need be. Despite all my efforts to study it though, it still confuses the hell out of me.

文偉立

newb programmer
Attempt a year and a half, and speak to me about difficult xD. I have obtained the following masteries in the language: sentence structure, kana useage, kunyomi/onyumi alterations, and I am currently studying radicals in kanji (which I tell you now is quite a pain in the ass).

Actually, regardless of the polite attitudes of the Japanese, an influent accent can be embarrassing. I went to Epcot in Florida a few months back and I entered "Japan" and the people were quite nice. The cultural lessons they provided were quite nice and there was much more to learn about Japan than the obvious impressions and stereotypes we assume such as: Manga in Japan is a rare reading activity. Most students read them on the train but do not spend any extracurricular activities in manga as we do in America.

Meanwhile, in Epcot, I was searching in the gift shop for some language books (this was while I was in my forum gap, while I was gone) and I saw Helen Gilhooly's name for "Japanese Script for Beginners" which intrigued me since I had the first book so I purchased it. I went up to the counter and I had the intention of saying "Ikura desu ka"...but my nerves slipped. So, I said it in plain English. She tried to converse with me as well, which I felt was just jinxed for me as I was attempting to avoid conversation. She asked me "Are you trying to learn Japanese, sir?" in japanese and I responded with a typical Japanese custom nod and a "yes" in japanese. Her response was "Aren't you Japanese?" and my response was "No, I'm chinese. I'm studying". She gave me a "I see" and an attempted compliment "You speak pretty well", all in japanese conversation. I said "thanks" and walked out in humility. Regardless of whether she was being honest or not, I am quite intimidated to speak to any japanese person in their native tongue until my accent has been lifted completely.

Which brings me to my point! xD

A lot of newbie jap learners have an accent, mostly unnoticeable by the speaker but by the listener. I have done trial and error with my teacher and I believe I have the hang of it now. Anime is not really the best way to learn japanese, but I do not completely bar it from you. If you stress your sentence like the way anime characters do, you'll sound like a drama queen/king. Just remember one thing: "Japanese is not a screaming language, the words flow together."

helios

Bronze Member
??? said:
Love sword...?

What the hell? Those are two words that don't mix in that phrase.

Then how would i write those words in a logical manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back