• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Tech ► The iOS/Android Thread - App recommendations, jailbreaking, etc.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silh

Slippery People
Awards
See the following post for app recommendations!

As of last week I upgraded to an iPhone 4. The sleek white color was too good to pass up. I initially wanted an Android, but AT&T's are doo doo and I didn't feel like switching providers. Even though the iPhone 5 was around the corner (lol yeah okay), I've been stuck with this dinosaur of a phone for a while now so I didn't feel like waiting any longer. That also means that, by default, this is the sexiest phone I've ever had.

I haven't used it for much else other than social networking and music though. I want my phone to be a bit more functional but I have no idea where to start, pretty much because navigating through the App Store is a chore. What apps do you recommend?

CG9eh.png

And those are my lock and home screens. What do yours look like?

Silh

Slippery People
Awards
QOTLd.png

Games
ElectroMaster $0.99
Clean up a swarm of bastards!

Imaginary Range Free
An interactive comic by Square Enix. The story is forgettable (provided you even took it into account), but the mini-games included are pretty fun. Two of the three, anyway.

Switch Frenzy Free for a limited time
A unique game providing a great way to kill time.

Tic Tac Toe Free
Great for siblings, may ruin friendships.
Social
Beejive $9.99
Supports just about every IM client.

Tango Free
Basically FaceTime but better.

Qik Free
Enables iPhone users to video chat with Android users.
Utilities
Ringtone Maker Free
Use songs synced into your iPhone to create your own ringtones.

SoundHound Free
Music recognition app that IDs songs being hummed/sung or played on the radio.

TeamViewer Free
Enables you to remotely and securely access your home computer from your iPhone at any time after establishing a connection between the two.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
I don't have an iPhone, but since its so similar to the iPod Touch, I can still help.

Remote (can use iPod to change iTunes songs from a distance)
Beejive (simply the best IM app ever created)
Netflix
Any Square Enix apps. (They have Final Fantasy 1, 2, 3, Secret of Mana plus tons more)

Oh and check the Top 25 Free/Paid list frequently. During major holidays, most developers slash the prices of their games by insane amounts.

Honestly, I really only use my iPod for Wifi/utilities. I'm not into the "Angry Birds" type of games that flood the app store. If you're looking for anything specific, I could be of more help.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Mine are fake flowers from Michaels because it was Sora from KH before and I got bored. Then before that it was an eye. -too lazy to find better photos-

'bout to change mine...but my photo library is glitching. -_- I wonder if this is from the latest update...

If you want to track the news, NPR is a nice App to have. I've had my phone since November 2010 but I haven't really got any new Apps except Tumblr, Twitter, FB, and Virtuoso piano.

CaptainMarvelQ8

Bronze Member
Awards
being the cheap ass i am,i rush straight into the free apps section.....
there are a few cool one's;radio apps are my favorite but most free ones will torment you with ads but hey,they're free!
and you've got that Angry Birds games everyone's been playing
it's not free,but cheap

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
Those of you worried about money could always just jailbreak your phones, though it does void the warranty.

Some of my favorite apps are:
UConnect
Words with friends
Gravity guy
Robot unicorn attck
Cut the rope
Tiny wings
Tetris
Fruit ninja

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
Glad no one said angry birds.... i hate that game. totally overrated

Pandora
Soundhound
Photoshop Express
Score center (espn)
Qik - lets you video chat between iphone and android
Kindle

Cloud

this guy are sick
Awards
how did you get the image of your screens so clear? like some print screen or just a decent camera?

anyway, i have an iphone 3, but i rarely use it for anything other than internet/phone/txt/sometimes games. but yeah, i have the FF games, song summoner (which is pretty cool), chaos rings, crash kart and street fighter. but i still love it and wouldn't be able to cope without it, haha.

CaptainMarvelQ8

Bronze Member
Awards
Those of you worried about money could always just jailbreak your phones, though it does void the warranty.

Some of my favorite apps are:
UConnect
Words with friends
Gravity guy
Robot unicorn attck
Cut the rope
Tiny wings
Tetris
Fruit ninja

When i first got my phone i was searching for a 4.2.1 3GS tethered Jailbreak,but i didn't find any
but that was 4-5 months ago,so as there been any updates?
sorry,it's just that im not really knowledgeable with this stuff,and would like a site or something if you have about JB (pretty please :3)

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
how did you get the image of your screens so clear? like some print screen or just a decent
by pressing the lock button and home button at the same time, the phone takes a snap shot of the screen your viewing and its really clear.
When i first got my phone i was searching for a 4.2.1 3GS tethered Jailbreak,but i didn't find any
but that was 4-5 months ago,so as there been any updates?
sorry,it's just that im not really knowledgeable with this stuff,and would like a site or something if you have about JB (pretty please :3)
There has been an update actually, I'm actually using it myself, extremely useful. As to the source, il need to ask my friend but I'll let you know by vm later
y

CaptainMarvelQ8

Bronze Member
Awards
There has been an update actually, I'm actually using it myself, extremely useful. As to the source, il need to ask my friend but I'll let you know by vm later
y

nice.
Thanks man,just make sure that it's for the 3GS,because people often mistake it as the regular 3G and has happened to me before.......

:D.

Cloud

this guy are sick
Awards
by pressing the lock button and home button at the same time, the phone takes a snap shot of the screen your viewing and its really clear.

oh, cool. thanks :) i'll get mine up soon

Silh

Slippery People
Awards
The HTC Inspire isn't bad.

I can't speak for iPhone apps, but I'd love some insight on decent Android apps. Consider changing the thread to iPhone/Android App Recommendations?
Sure. I'm aiming for more of a general discussion though to avoid making this another thread everyone mindlessly links to, so I'll update the OP time and again with those recommendations.

The last time I checked, AT&T took out everything about the Android phone that made them their own brand. Unless that's changed recently, in which case I ask you pardon my ignorance.

I don't think I'm gonna bother with jailbreaking. I can deal with voiding the warranty, but I don't want to deal with security risks either.

just noticed you have the tictactoe game too haha :)
haha, yeah. I'm always playing with my brother.

off topic, but which anime is the screen from it looks eerily familiar
Star Driver. The original pic is nsfw.

O

Oberon

I don't have an iPhone, but since its so similar to the iPod Touch, I can still help.

Remote (can use iPod to change iTunes songs from a distance)
Beejive (simply the best IM app ever created)
Netflix
Oh damn, There's a netflix app?

/me never uses computer again

Siren

brutally homeless and fluffy
Awards
If you do anything like reading different blogs on the web, Reeder (and a Google Reader) account are a must. I've saved a lot of time from my day by having all of this content aggregated in a convenient, well-designed application.

Similarly, Instapaper is great if you have anything that you want to read but need to head out the door; OTA sync is wonderful, and it strips the 'chrome' out of a webpage to give you just what you care about--the words. Great for long-form stuff but also nice if there's a music review, whatever, that you want to read but don't have the time for.

Tweetbot and Twitter are really the best Twitter clients out there. I prefer Tweetbot for a lot of things--mainly not having to worry about something like the #dickbar happpening--but it's personal preference.

Some other random apps that I use regularly, for various things:
Texts From Last Night: Kinda obvious. Nice for catching up on any that you've missed and has a fair amount of sharing options.
Instagram: excellent, excellent camera app. Has great filters to add a little 'something' and shares to twitter/Facebook insanely quickly.
Camera+: more options than Instagram, but slower.
IMDb: Also kinda obvious. Works well, and quickly. Nice interface.
Toshl: Keep track of your finances. Has a nice visual design, but it doesn't nag you enough to input what you've been spending.
Everyday: Take a picture of yourself, every day. Pulls the picture into a video that you can share with twitter/facebook. Neat concept, well-designed.
Evernote/Simplenote/Springpad: Remember everything, everywhere, forever.

If you're looking for games, Tiny Wings, Infinity Blade, and Battleheart are great for a little bit of play-time while you're on the bus, or killing a few hours.

Cloud

this guy are sick
Awards
here are my screens:

img0141q.png
img0138q.png

image quality on my iphone is better D: hah

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
I don't think I'm gonna bother with jailbreaking. I can deal with voiding the warranty, but I don't want to deal with security risks either.

I've jailbroken my iPod plenty of times and I've never had any security issues. Hell, I've even taken to the Genius Bar several times. You just have to make sure you unjail break it before you take it.

But in all honesty, jail breaking is overrated anyway. I'd rather not kill the industry. The only other reason I had it was for the themes, but Apple has added that feature in their ofw so go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back