• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► The Good Dinosaur - "They go on a WILD TRIIIIIIP"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
okay then

so it's sad to say that this looks like it's PIXAR's first bomb. It's their lowest grossing movie ever, I'm honestly not shocked. I don't think I saw any substantial marketing for it anywhere either.

it would really be a shame, the movie looks pretty promising and this might drive them further away from original properties and go farther down the path of sequels.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
The movie bombed?

Oh wow, even the Cars movies did well in theaters. What the hell happened?

cars were adamantly marketed and hella popular with kids. the good dinosaur had barely any commercials, a confusing production and virtually no merchandise.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
cars were adamantly marketed and hella popular with kids. the good dinosaur had barely any commercials, a confusing production and virtually no merchandise.

It's nothing to do with marketing. The Good Dinosaur arguably had more marketing and sponsors than Inside Out. The difference is that Inside Out resonated with audience because it showcased Pixar's greatest strength: original concepts with a lot of emotional depth.

The Good Dinosaur only had its environments to stand out. If The Good Dinosaur was Pixar's Fantasia then it would have been appealing, but alas, people I talked to about this movie simply said that it really wasn't that appealing of a movie.

To add insult to injury, the short before it, Sanjay's Super Team was nominated for an award but The Good Dinosaur wasn't.

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
The real tragedy here is missing out on those shorts. Lava was better than Inside Out.

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
It's less about the story itself and more about the execution. You can cook the same meal in different ways.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
I literally cringed at Lava, no one in my theater thought it was good. Paperman shits all over it, even the one with the dog was leagues above lava. Hell, Frozen Fever was better than Lava. just ugh

But with marketing, yeah it had a huge part in why this movie failed. Probably word of mouth too in how it's another mediocre Pixar film. Inside Out being vastly more successful and superior overshadowed it coming out in the same year since this film was supposed to come out in 2014 after all its behind the scenes troubles.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I literally cringed at Lava, no one in my theater thought it was good. Paperman shits all over it, even the one with the dog was leagues above lava. Hell, Frozen Fever was better than Lava. just ugh

But with marketing, yeah it had a huge part in why this movie failed. Probably word of mouth too in how it's another mediocre Pixar film. Inside Out being vastly more successful and superior overshadowed it coming out in the same year since this film was supposed to come out in 2014 after all its behind the scenes troubles.

Oh don't get me wrong, I liked Lava: I'm a sucker for Romance, but in terms of creativity for Pixar shorts: it's the weakest of the lot. The Good Dinosaur arguably had far more marketing attached to it as opposed to Inside Out, but the difference is, the first teaser trailer was on YouTube's trending page whilst The Good Dinosaur only trended once on Facebook cause of the renderings of the environment. They never marketed The Good Dinosaur any differently from Inside Out, it just didn't resonate as well.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Oh don't get me wrong, I liked Lava: I'm a sucker for Romance, but in terms of creativity for Pixar shorts: it's the weakest of the lot. The Good Dinosaur arguably had far more marketing attached to it as opposed to Inside Out, but the difference is, the first teaser trailer was on YouTube's trending page whilst The Good Dinosaur only trended once on Facebook cause of the renderings of the environment. They never marketed The Good Dinosaur any differently from Inside Out, it just didn't resonate as well.

tbh i only saw one commercial of it, which was the announcement it was out in theaters. i also saw a picture on a cheez it box but that isn't the best exposure either.

idk, for some reason it feels like it wasn't marketed right.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards

Literally nothing happens in Lava so you are right in the fact that it's the weakest.

But I still disagree. This film was marketed horribly. I never saw a trailer for it in theaters, not even in front of Inside Out iirc. I only saw trailers from this posted through social media, which is a pretty poor way to advertise it. When I worked at the Disney store, they had tons of Inside Out stuff but absolutely zero merchandise on this. Whereas Zootopia is being marketed pretty darn well actually. It has nothing to do with the fact it doesn't resonate well. It's just not a very well done movie, and the revenue shows that. Even A Bug's Life made more money than this, and most people don't even know that film exists.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Literally nothing happens in Lava so you are right in the fact that it's the weakest.

But I still disagree. This film was marketed horribly. I never saw a trailer for it in theaters, not even in front of Inside Out iirc. I only saw trailers from this posted through social media, which is a pretty poor way to advertise it. When I worked at the Disney store, they had tons of Inside Out stuff but absolutely zero merchandise on this. Whereas Zootopia is being marketed pretty darn well actually. It has nothing to do with the fact it doesn't resonate well. It's just not a very well done movie, and the revenue shows that. Even A Bug's Life made more money than this, and most people don't even know that film exists.

Really, was the marketing outside of social media that bad for The Good Dinosaur? Wow... now you're just setting yourself up for failure if your merchandise division is barely promoting the movie. And as far as A Bug's Life goes: it's not really advertised nowadays cause it's the only Pixar property that isn't Toy Story to be advertised during the 90's, so in today's era, it doesn't have the cultural relevance that the other Pixar properties have. I kinda see most of Zootopia's advertising as nothing more than animal puns.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Really, was the marketing outside of social media that bad for The Good Dinosaur? Wow... now you're just setting yourself up for failure if your merchandise division is barely promoting the movie. And as far as A Bug's Life goes: it's not really advertised nowadays cause it's the only Pixar property that isn't Toy Story to be advertised during the 90's, so in today's era, it doesn't have the cultural relevance that the other Pixar properties have. I kinda see most of Zootopia's advertising as nothing more than animal puns.

nowherr advertised it. i never saw any adverts for it except a cracker box and a commercial, disney would have gotten better coverage for the film if they fucking put us in charge of marketing.

Patricier21

For anyone who has access to the Target Exclusive version of The Good Dinosaur, cit would be really appreciated if you could please tell me what the exclusive features are all about and if they show or talk about any early draft ideas and post the ideas and or possible images or video here?

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
so patricier works for disney too. f4ntastic.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
i went in not expecting much but my expectations were blown away. it had a cliched set up and i thought "wow, this movie is going to be boring" but it absolutely delivered. it was an emotional ride and i wish the berry trip scene was longer lol

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
After being gifted this, I was unsure if I'd ever watch it based on word of mouth but I'm so glad I did. Just finished watching and it was super well done (especially given the behind the scenes troubles it went through). I also really love dinosaurs so there may be a bit of bias haha. I may prefer the other Dinosaur film by Disney back in 2000 just a little because of nostalgia, this was super good in my opinion.

Soundtrack was also super good, really reminded me of Lord of the Rings for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back