• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► The Articles of Literacy

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zearth

Ashy to Classy
This really needs to be stickied. I should go get a mod on this. I implemented your guide for my second chapter, and it made it so much better. People really need to read this.

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
^That, my friend, will get you a rep point. After I rep, like, fourteen others. XP

Oh, and you won't REALLY be put to death, Krazy and C_U. =D

Arxos

lol, um whats BUMP mean ( I know its noobish but im no noob)

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Hey everyone!

This type up is great, I hope it helps those in the fanfiction section, and, as I promised, I will be working with the members in this section to make it overall better, with what I have, which is basically power. :]

My only comment to anyone reading this, is concerning script style. It's not bad, but it's only to be used when writing playwrites, not fics. Remember that. Haha.

Without further ado, a sticky.

Note: What members should do is request little "tuts" or sections to the article of literacy. For example.

Member: I'm confused on how to develop characters!

thelonepickle: Ooh! I'd love to help! *adds new article*

Bleh, you get my drift. <3

GuardianOfHearts

Darkrooms and safelights
Sitting inside the viewfinder of a camera, watchin
monkeybutt said:
Note: What members should do is request little "tuts" or sections to the article of literacy. For example.

Member: I'm confused on how to develop characters!

thelonepickle: Ooh! I'd love to help! *adds new article*

We do that in the writing workshop thread, [=]In the Spotlight[=].

You know Monkey, sometimes you sound like Barney with innuendo thrown in. =/

Lyke lolz. xD Anyway.

TIS STICKIED! YAY!

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
You know Monkey, sometimes you sound like Barney with innuendo thrown in. =/

I have no idea what that means, but I hope its good. ;D

Skill Building (Both): Mary Sue? Gary Stu?

xP I love this subject. Alright, nowadays, in every famous novel, tv show, game, whatever you can think of, the only character used is the "homeric hero" IE, heroes who are like people. All homeric heroes are unperfect, weather that be by strength, or emotionally. Think about how much your favorite FF game would suck if that character didnt have that emotional problem (squall, cloud), or how much your favorite show would suck if certain characters didnt have anger management problems. xD

GuardianOfHearts

Darkrooms and safelights
Sitting inside the viewfinder of a camera, watchin
monkeybutt said:
I have no idea what that means, but I hope its good. ;D

Tis good. It's just that you add have this game-show-host-cheery tone to your posts. xD But I doubt Barney walks around telling five-year-olds they're seckseh, so you get my drift.

Anyway....

monkeybutt said:
Alright, nowadays, in every famous novel, tv show, game, whatever you can think of, the only character used is the "homeric hero" IE, heroes who are like people.

I'm going to add in a random bit of history and say that homeric comes from Homer, which refers to Odysseus {Ulysses}, from the Odyssey. And that refers to how Ulysses was this big heroic figure, but one of the things that made him heroic was his humanity; he showed compassion, loyalty, and the ability to cry. Even though he was god-like, to an extent, he still held feelings and values that anyone could relate to.

If you don't give your character flaws, it's annoying. Extremely. Even the most Sue-ish of OCs can redeem themselves if they aren't flawless; which, ironically, is a flaw amongst itself.

Strangely enough, it can at first seem Sue-ish to have your light-natured character have a darker side, but, as Monkey said before, think of how boring somone like Tidus would be if he was all naive smiles. Giving him those daddy-issues added a little spice to his character.

darkisaac

Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
Arxos said:
lol, um whats BUMP mean ( I know its noobish but im no noob)

Actually bump stands for:

Bring
U p
My
And GoH is vey accurate when decribing "Homeric"

And yes it mainly refers to Odysseus and the fact that his flaws (which would be his ego, pride, etc.) are what make him a memorable character.

But let's not forget Homer's true masterpice (IMO) The Illiad!!

This story in fact holds up the term "Homeric" better than the Odyssey
As it has a variety of character with flaws : Achilles, Hektor, Aeneas (a lot more but I is lazy so I won't list em.)

Last edited:

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
It's...Been...Stickuh...ed...

*dies*

=O OMG! *bows down to Monkah*

;-; This, my friends, is a great da-

GOH YOU DOUBLE POSTED LAWLAWL DUN DOUBLE POST NUB LAWLALW!

._. I could not resist.

But yeah. If people request stuff, as Monkah said, and GoH dispelled..ed, then we'll help them in the Spotlight and I'll add a new article-

...Monkah...IS...NOT...BARNEY.

Monkah > Barney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back