• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Sora's name

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

khfreak5

Before I go and ask my question, this has nothing to do with last names. I've been trying to figure this out for a while. The word "sora" in Japanese means sky. Is Sora's name really sky, and they didn't change it in the English version, or is it short for something else? I found on a website a while ago, (I can't even remember when or the site) his full first name was "Sorage".

Sorry, if this was asked already, I was looking through a bunch of old threads and couldn't find any. Thank you for your time.:)

Tenyas

RE: +"T!red"+
Sorage?... The heck does that even mean and where did you read it? Oh wait, you don't remember... ANYWHOSITS, I thought Sora's original name was Shamdeo or sometin' as a lion/boy thing. I might be wrong, I don't really know.

Coeurl

Demon Dance
come on, Sorage, for real? what kind of name is that? ¬_¬ Sora's name is used both in English and Japanese ( they didn't change it obviously ) It is Japanese term and it translates to Sky in English. it's not a short version or an acronym or whatever.

oh and you probably got that info from a Wiki site. those things are half truths and whole lies.

Sora's original name was Shamdeo
that is sooo win! XD

Taidow

Actually his name is an anagram of "Soar" which means "to fly" which is related to the word "Sky" to what Sora means in Japanese.

SunsetSeeker_2.0

Website
www.animealliance.forumotion.net
Actually his name is an anagram of "Soar" which means "to fly" which is related to the word "Sky" to what Sora means in Japanese.

Japanese cognates are barely cognates at all =/

and it's obvious by how this girl worded the thread that she was just curious about Sora's name because Ven's whole name actually turned out to be Ventus.

8shortfuse

I always like to think of Sora's name as sky, because in Kairi's letter she says "one sky, one destiny". she could have been referring to Sora

I always thought that too. "There are many worlds but they all share the same sky. One sky, one destiny" every world shares Sora as he is the hero of the light, and he holds the destiny because he is the 'key' (as Yen Sid put it)

Kitsune_XIII

I always thought that too. "There are many worlds but they all share the same sky. One sky, one destiny" every world shares Sora as he is the hero of the light, and he holds the destiny because he is the 'key' (as Yen Sid put it)

...*sniffles* That was beautifuly put. *cries at the beauty of it*

Yuuki

I'm the darkness within the shadows
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH sorage!!! wtf? are you crazy?

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
The thing is Sora doesn't HAVE to mean "Sky". It's true it's a possible meaning, just like Riku can mean Land and Kairi means ocean. Certainly would tie in with Aqua, Terra and Ventus.
However, their names are written in Katakana. Namely, the basic letters in Japanese used to write often foreign words. Without the Kanji (the letters making up whole words or even expressions in one mark), the meaning is loose.
That's why Kairi can also have the Kanji for "Separation" while Riku can have the kanji for "The pain of separation" - meanings that tie in with KH1, and even later on in the series.
Kairi can also mean "beaver".

Sasuto23

Awards
double post Fire's fan....

i'm not seeing point in this thread very much considering there is nothing to debate on about the Hero's name... close please?

8shortfuse

...*sniffles* That was beautifuly put. *cries at the beauty of it*

O.O I'll take that as a compliment. lol

Sora in Japaneese means Earth, that's why they chose it probably. Riku means wind and Kiari means water.

What are you talking about? Sora is Japanese for Sky, Riku means land, and Kairi means Sea (well, it might just be that Kai, that means sea. But it's still the prefex of her name.)

qster

The Last Bulbasaur
O.O I'll take that as a compliment. lol

What are you talking about? Sora is Japanese for Sky, Riku means land, and Kairi means Sea (well, it might just be that Kai, that means sea. But it's still the prefex of her name.)
Oh, I guess I got them mixed up a bit. It's pretty late so that's why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back