• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

So I bought a bass...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mythological Omega

the arsenal of megadeth
I'm generally not one to ask the community here for anything, but I'm curious.

I bought a bass guitar today and I want some suggestions of songs to practice on. Anything's welcome as long as it's not 'LURN COLDPLAY OR LINKIN PARK THEYRE AMAZIN I LOVE THEM!!11!1'

So... yeah.

Edit: Probably should've mentioned this, I plan on learning songs from the following: Coheed and Cambria, Rush, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Last edited:

Siren

brutally homeless and fluffy
Awards
Stay Together for the Kids has a simple bass line.
Dance Dance also has a pretty easy but fun bass.

You want to play with some other shit, take a look at Bedlight for Blue eyes. Kind of a bit more of a step up, I would think.

Dunno though. I play guitar instead of bass, but all of those songs seem to be easy but enjoyable.

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
If you want recommendations, I'd suggest that you steer clear of metal. The bass lines usually tend to mimic the main guitar riffs (with obviously just the root note instead of the power chord.) The same could be said for punk. I would just browse some funk, jazz, fusion, and blues music for excellent practicing material. And good luck with your endeavors.

Awards
learn the following songs or suck a dick:

nightmist - pain of salvation

coast - devin townsend project

Siren

brutally homeless and fluffy
Awards
shouldn't you know what songs you want to practise playing?

Do you play an instrument? I'm finding new songs constantly that I want to learn how to play, or some of the ones that I was interested in have proven to be too difficult. It's a process, not something that is planned and executed perfectly.

Trag

Bronze Member
Learn anything by the who, their bassist John Entwistle is amazing.

Massive Attack

Dial 'M' for 'Motherfucker'
Awards
Do you play an instrument? I'm finding new songs constantly that I want to learn how to play, or some of the ones that I was interested in have proven to be too difficult. It's a process, not something that is planned and executed perfectly.

I play guitar. I just look up tabs of songs I like and try and play them. Obviously, quite a few are too difficult, but I usually manage to find something that I like and can learn. I know you suggested some easy songs for beginners, but most people here are like "PLAY THIS BECAUSE IT'S AWESOME". He mentioned bands he'd like to learn the basslines of and people are suggesting songs by them, but uh... Couldn't he just browse through tab sites, finding songs by these bands that is the right ability for him rather than have people suggest? idk.

Hey, Myth do you have a teacher?

Massive Attack

Dial 'M' for 'Motherfucker'
Awards
No, not yet. I'm gonna start taking lessons in a couple of weeks.

Will definitely help. Try and get a likeminded teacher somehow. My guitar teacher likes The Velvet Underground and stuff like that, so when he gives me a song in order to improve my skillz on whatever... I'm not left dissatisfied. I learn a lot of stuff on my own/get stuff from tab sites, then show my guitar teacher and he says "replace that bit with this bit and it'll sound better" or "play it like this", as well as helping to expand on songs that I've only touched on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back