• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

RPG Heroes Too Young?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vice

SF
Awards
Website
www.myspace.com
The Characters are way too young. I mean there like 14-17 years of Age and for some reason they act so much older. I mean its great that there about the age of the majority that play them but still. We can still use older Heros

bond of flames

you've got a soul, use it.
Website
www.facebook.com
well, you get the sora form:too young but hav important stuff pushed on them and they learn at a fast pace which they shouldnt.kinda like the beginning of eragon.im talkin bout the book cuz the movie sucked.

or you get the too old people.like......idk....auron for example.he's already seen his length of battles but they make him go through one more that really important and he has tons of expereince from the battles.i kinda like the auron forms.

but once in a while, you get the middle aged guy who seems perfect for it and it all happens.but then you either hav the guy being stupid or knows too much about it.

so, idk.i'd hav to go with the auron form.

var1ables

Play hard, go pro.
Awards
A vast amount of RPG characters are young. What is Vaan, lke 17? Sora and Riku are no older than 16 and they go about killing people. It's all harsh, but that's just the theme of the stories. It's like seeing a loli girl as a GTA main character. It's just the way the genre is.
I will agree, the japanese need to have those who are older in RPG's, take the American RPG's as a good example(the majority of american RPG's have character from the 30's into there 40's). You guys are saying the wrong thing: Japanese RPG's need older heroes.

I

The Show Must Go On
I don't really mind the young heros, but they just don't seem mature enough to be doing alot of the stuff in rpgs. However, at least in FFXII they balanced it out with having most of the main characters be older than 20....

MPC1301

I just realized something: the main character in the Pokemon GBA games was about like ten, right? Those games turned out to be the most popular of their time. Think of all of the things that the main character did, like go through forests, climb up mountains, and defeat all of the masters who were a lot older than you. Now, I'm not some Pokemon freak, b/c that phase passed about 5 years ago, but just thought that it was a good example.

Azerty

I will agree, the japanese need to have those who are older in RPG's, take the American RPG's as a good example(the majority of american RPG's have character from the 30's into there 40's). You guys are saying the wrong thing: Japanese RPG's need older heroes.

OMG, you're right! JRPGs usually have the younger heroes than American RPGs. But to be honest, majority of people in America play JRPGs more than American RPGs. :sleep:

Banishing Blade

Iron Tomato
Awards
I dunno, i kinda like having a hero that's my age. =3

And this is the reason for the young heroes. The majority of the projected demographic are teenagers. Companies believe (and it's obviously true, sales prove it) that we - the younger gaming generation - want heroes we can relate to, somehow. Personally, when I'm playing as a 40-year old war veteran, I don't feel like I'm playing the role (of course, same is said for pretty much everygame...).

A game that let's you BE the character is a great RPG, IMO. What's easier to pretend to be: a kid my age, or somebody in their 30's? Clearly, somebody my age.

That being said, I'm sick of the -typical- teenage hero. Just some punk kid who happens to be "chosen" or "destined" to almost single-handly saving the world. Having a main character who goes from zero to hero overnight really irks me, yet that's pretty much the only thing coming out of RPGs these days.

And which ARPGs are you refering to? I'm not having any come to my immediate attention...

On the topic of heroes being too young, no. But I am sick of the young heroes.

Azerty

And this is the reason for the young heroes. The majority of the projected demographic are teenagers. Companies believe (and it's obviously true, sales prove it) that we - the younger gaming generation - want heroes we can relate to, somehow.

How can the heroes in the virtual world relate to us? They don't go to school (majority of the time), they somehow have masterful weapon skills, and they're always chosen to save the world. That doesn't relate to me at all! :toungesmile:

var1ables

Play hard, go pro.
Awards
OMG, you're right! JRPGs usually have the younger heroes than American RPGs. But to be honest, majority of people in America play JRPGs more than American RPGs. :sleep:
Then the majority of American RPG players have no taste.

JRPG's(the ones shown) are pretty bad, and lack a sense of a epic story. People -here at this forum especially- have a bad dea that everything that comes out of a japanese game developer-and is a rpg- is gonna be great, and say that it's great while not knowing that what's going on in the rest of the RPG world..... like this thread for example; What are the examples? Japanese RPGs, specifically SE's JRPGs.Although SE does command a large portion of the market a whole lot is out there that aren't shown and alot of games with RPG elements(like DMC and RE4) aren't shown are RPG's(which is sorta hypocritical as they say that KH is an RPG), because they aren't made by either SE or they don't have the same sense of "leveling up." It's a bias sample as a whole, and thus the thread itself is bias.

Banishing Blade

Iron Tomato
Awards
How can the heroes in the virtual world relate to us? They don't go to school (majority of the time), they somehow have masterful weapon skills, and they're always chosen to save the world. That doesn't relate to me at all!

Same age. Most people can relate to the whining, and it "It's my way or the highway" attitudes. Some people will toss in an "emo" comment here, for good reason.

Does it relate to everybody? Clearly not, else we wouldn't have this discussion, would we?

Azerty

Then the majority of American RPG players have no taste.

JRPG's(the ones shown) are pretty bad, and lack a sense of a epic story. People -here at this forum especially- have a bad dea that everything that comes out of a japanese game developer-and is a rpg- is gonna be great, and say that it's great while not knowing that what's going on in the rest of the RPG world..... like this thread for example; What are the examples? Japanese RPGs, specifically SE's JRPGs.Although SE does command a large portion of the market a whole lot is out there that aren't shown and alot of games with RPG elements(like DMC and RE4) aren't shown are RPG's(which is sorta hypocritical as they say that KH is an RPG), because they aren't made by either SE or they don't have the same sense of "leveling up." It's a bias sample as a whole, and thus the thread itself is bias.

Great. I've just been called out in my own thread. :toungesmile:

Banishing Blade

Iron Tomato
Awards
.. RPG elements(like DMC and RE4) aren't shown are RPG's...

See, that all depends on what your idea of an RPG is.

If we're arguing about the same topic, but we have a term that both parties are using, but with different definitions, it changes everything.

Forgot to add:
It's a bias sample as a whole, and thus the thread itself is bias.
I'm confused. How is stating our opinion on the age of RPG heroes bias? Either we like 'em, or we don't.

Azerty

RPG- Role playing game. Thats the definition I'm using.

Okay, when I think of an RPG, I think of menus with HP and MP and all those other stats. KH is an RPG, but it's an Action RPG because it has RPG elements just filled with a lot of action elements.

Puck

THE GHOST ELF of LONG BEACH
The problem with American RPGs is that they are create a character and are always dungeon crawling Champions of Norrath copycats with no storyline. I have the 360 so I know how they are. Except Marvel Ultimate Alliance. There's a CoN style RPG with a story.

Ip Man

IIIIZAAAAAYAAAAA
Meh I dont care. It's what makes RPGs a "fantasy." It's part of the RPG formula.

If I want older heroes, I'll go play some HALO or MGS.

Banishing Blade

Iron Tomato
Awards
RPG- Role playing game. Thats the definition I'm using.

Worst definition ever. Going with that, every single game released that has character is an RPG. One might argue that a sports game, such as NFL 2007 is an RPG with that logic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back