• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Roleplay Suggestions & Updates

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Endless Warrior Sora

Return of the Kid
Awards
Or even advertise in the Foyer? Since that is where new members tend to post, there could be a thread that says "We Need You, Roleplayers!" and write a nice, appealing description, update with new RPs. idk...Just throwing out ideas. /jumps out

I like that one!! ^^^

I agree that it certainly should be more than just that, but I'd say that some characters should still be added. Not every one-off character people churn out, of course, but either characters that are expansive in the Roleplaying section or were either very memorable or important in their respective roleplay(s).

I agree completely and, also, could be used to follow multi-roleplay storyarcs (such as, for example, the Smiling Man's) and development of worlds. For example, instead of burdening the sign-up thread of a larger project with important world-related details (lore, major events, cities, races, etc.), it could be placed there.

Also major characters that appear in different variations such as the Smiling Man, and characters like Superb's Daaku that usually is reintegrated in some form for most of the RP's he joins.

Have you guys considered that maybe the site itself should have a main RP series that players can actually progress their character, form bonds and get stronger via a stat system instead of continually doing RP one shots. I've been here for nearly four to five years (maybe more) and it's still the same one shot direction. If you guys are seeking the creative freedom, the character development, and an experience where people can join together to make ideas and such then make a main Roleplay series. I would Personally suggest Naruto, but I don't know if you guys would be up for it.

Lmao didn't you put this same exact thing in another thread? haha XD I thought that was kinda funny.

I'd actually be down to join that though. However, the stat system, freedom, character development etc would have to be extremely specific. I rather like the character development idea because sometimes when I come up with a acharacter's abilities in a RP I eventually have to sort of lock into the specific set I gave them no matter how far the RP progresses. Thus leading them open to the same vulnerabilities. however, that can become a hindering process if a character was allowed to grow because an RPer can easily have their character adapt to situations and pass it off as new abilities etc. Also, I think that would need a few more RPers than what we have, aaaaand the BIGGEST thing is people staying active throughout that process.

All that said, I'm still down.

EightBitRed

Bronze Member
Lmao didn't you put this same exact thing in another thread? haha XD I thought that was kinda funny.

I'd actually be down to join that though. However, the stat system, freedom, character development etc would have to be extremely specific. I rather like the character development idea because sometimes when I come up with a acharacter's abilities in a RP I eventually have to sort of lock into the specific set I gave them no matter how far the RP progresses. Thus leading them open to the same vulnerabilities. however, that can become a hindering process if a character was allowed to grow because an RPer can easily have their character adapt to situations and pass it off as new abilities etc. Also, I think that would need a few more RPers than what we have, aaaaand the BIGGEST thing is people staying active throughout that process.

All that said, I'm still down.

Ah I thought posting in the two threads seem like I was replying to the same thread, Lol! But yeah, I didn't kinda edit it between the two. XD. But yeah, +1 supporter. Anyone else interested? If there enough support I'll hold a Skype meeting among those interested and we'll start making it a thing.

Kiba

Ours is the Fury
Awards
An RP with stat system won't change anything. There have been RP's made that implemented a stat system and if I'm not mistaken it died just as quickly as the "one-shot" RP's. I personally like the one-shots because it allows for variety from one RP to the next. It also lets RPer themselves flex their creative muscles as freely as they'd like. With a stat system implemented into a "general" RP, it would be somewhat restricting to how creative a person can get with their character.

What people need to learn is how to develop their characters throughout any RP without a stat system there to hold their hand throughout the entire thing. Plus trying to make a character with stats can be a complete and utter headache. And that's my two pennies on that.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
An RP with stat system won't change anything. There have been RP's made that implemented a stat system and if I'm not mistaken it died just as quickly as the "one-shot" RP's. I personally like the one-shots because it allows for variety from one RP to the next. It also lets RPer themselves flex their creative muscles as freely as they'd like. With a stat system implemented into a "general" RP, it would be somewhat restricting to how creative a person can get with their character.

What people need to learn is how to develop their characters throughout any RP without a stat system there to hold their hand throughout the entire thing. Plus trying to make a character with stats can be a complete and utter headache. And that's my two pennies on that.

Pretty much of the same opinion. It's better to give people the freedom they should have in RPs, as opposed to more or less limiting them with stats. What works for a tabletop D&D session does not work so well on internets.

EightBitRed

Bronze Member

This is NOT TRUE

A roleplay engine does not restrict anyone, not even the player, with any sort of creative limit other then what the player sets for his or herself. There are more then various way to allow a player to have the freedom of creativity, even if he/she must follow a few set of rules and simple state system under said engine. I think you're underestimating this compared to a one shot role-play. While you can have variety and "endless universal creation", after a few years this get repetitive because no matter how you see it there is no character development, especially when it locks your character in one specific universe and can't be used in the many other oneshots that spawn everyday.

A main series you make one character that can be in a multitude of roleplays, character development (friendships and romantic interest) can be achieved and growth can actually happen (get stronger, character learns from experience, competitive). I rather stick to one character and make an actual story out of him via roleplay then keep making different characters like a girl picking clothes from her closet every time she wants to go out

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
A stat-based roleplaying engine is just a more formalised type of rule system. Instead of people constructing their characters ambiguously, you can put definite power caps on what they can ultimately achieve, and it means that characters can be balanced and outcomes of certain interactions can be immediately determined - whether a strike was landed, if a subject fell for a lie, and so on. As Raiden has said, RP engines don't have an actual restricting effect unless you consider trimming the fat of roleplaying trivialities and ambiguities to be a definite plus. The only reason it feels restricting is because on the level of game mechanics it can be slightly more difficult to implement than plain old writing, and people are used to plain old writing as opposed to some writing-system hybrid.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
A stat-based roleplaying engine is just a more formalised type of rule system. Instead of people constructing their characters ambiguously, you can put definite power caps on what they can ultimately achieve, and it means that characters can be balanced and outcomes of certain interactions can be immediately determined - whether a strike was landed, if a subject fell for a lie, and so on. As Raiden has said, RP engines don't have an actual restricting effect unless you consider trimming the fat of roleplaying trivialities and ambiguities to be a definite plus. The only reason it feels restricting is because on the level of game mechanics it can be slightly more difficult to implement than plain old writing, and people are used to plain old writing as opposed to some writing-system hybrid.

My issue with a stat-based system is:

One - I don't trust diddlying hardly anyone in here with the system (because we are all imperfect, waterbearing meatsacks), and Two - I expect someone to argue or whine about something derived from the stat-based system (because as humans we all love to complain about everything we may/may not enjoy). In all honesty, the D&D 3.5 Character Sheet (this would be used more so, but there is a second sheet to go with it, just detailing armor, spells, etc) could easily be used; simply because the 3.5 version of D&D in itself is the most flexible and customizable (in my opinion) while also giving a good boundary of limitation by Class, etc.

EightBitRed

Bronze Member
My issue with a stat-based system is:

One - I don't trust diddlying hardly anyone in here with the system (because we are all imperfect, waterbearing meatsacks), and Two - I expect someone to argue or whine about something derived from the stat-based system (because as humans we all love to complain about everything we may/may not enjoy). In all honesty, the D&D 3.5 Character Sheet (this would be used more so, but there is a second sheet to go with it, just detailing armor, spells, etc) could easily be used; simply because the 3.5 version of D&D in itself is the most flexible and customizable (in my opinion) while also giving a good boundary of limitation by Class, etc.

I always told myself that I will never please everyone, but I'm always going to be fair and give everyone an opportunity in the spotlight. Also lets not use D&D as an example because thats the worse reference you could ever use in a stat system. The way I approach it is from video games such as Raganarok, Borderlands, and Star Ocean: The Last Hope. These work in a Naruto RP

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
I always told myself that I will never please everyone, but I'm always going to be fair and give everyone an opportunity in the spotlight. Also lets not use D&D as an example because thats the worse reference you could ever use in a stat system. The way I approach it is from video games such as Raganarok, Borderlands, and Star Ocean: The Last Hope. These work in a Naruto RP

I wasn't referencing or making any real thought towards even putting together a Naruto RP Stat-based System; and your argument is pretty much invalid. D&D, if I can recall correctly (which was in itself derived or however from Chainmail) is/was one of the first/oldest stat-based systems. I'm not going to bother arguing this with you.

D&D 3.5v offers the best customization and freedom in regards to character development and having fun from a basic standpoint. It's resources are also readily on hand for those who need/require them; much more than the videogames' stat systems that you want to tout about, or so I would assume.

Do not push this.

EightBitRed

Bronze Member
I wasn't referencing or making any real thought towards even putting together a Naruto RP Stat-based System; and your argument is pretty much invalid. D&D, if I can recall correctly (which was in itself derived or however from Chainmail) is/was one of the first/oldest stat-based systems. I'm not going to bother arguing this with you.

D&D 3.5v offers the best customization and freedom in regards to character development and having fun from a basic standpoint. It's resources are also readily on hand for those who need/require them; much more than the videogames' stat systems that you want to tout about, or so I would assume.

Do not push this.

I don't use outdated engines. I prefer making my own. Not trying to argue with you, I just prefer being original

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
'Outdated' is a meaningless measure given that D&D has decades of refinement behind it, and there's nothing inherently better about an original system. If anything, it could be more problematic and ad-hoc, because D&D has a wholesome, entirely interlinked and balanced system going on between all the attributes, skills, items and so forth. With an original system, you're bound to be trying to fix it up as you go along.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards

Just throwing my two cents into the mix:

Since this is all concerning a "main roleplay" for the site, I think the details of how stats would work in a Naruto roleplay is largely irrelevant. After all, this is a Kingdom Hearts site, ergo, any sort of "main roleplay" would have to be the same. I see no debating this fact.

EightBitRed

Bronze Member
Just throwing my two cents into the mix:

Since this is all concerning a "main roleplay" for the site, I think the details of how stats would work in a Naruto roleplay is largely irrelevant. After all, this is a Kingdom Hearts site, ergo, any sort of "main roleplay" would have to be the same. I see no debating this fact.

Good point, well even then you're going to have to find a way to make a Kingdom Heart Main series in such away where Rp'ers can cola berate with each other while also being competitive

'Outdated' is a meaningless measure given that D&D has decades of refinement behind it, and there's nothing inherently better about an original system. If anything, it could be more problematic and ad-hoc, because D&D has a wholesome, entirely interlinked and balanced system going on between all the attributes, skills, items and so forth. With an original system, you're bound to be trying to fix it up as you go along.

Of course, its always fun to improve the engine. :3

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
Cause it's the truth and Dar's completely right. Instead of debating on a subject that obviously won't have much impact in the now, perhaps we should post in the rps we're in more frequently. Ya know, to keep the section more lively like it was 2-3 years ago.

And in another year, we will be at this point yet again, only with fewer than last year.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
Or we'll be back booming like we were in mid to late 2011 and early 2012. Anything is possible, Professor-sama. ^_^

What I'd assume we want from this is more steady activity within the Section, as well as a gradual influx of newer members into our glorious realm.

I don't take "booms."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back