• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Roleplay Suggestions & Updates

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingdomkeylight

KKL & Don't You Forget It
Awards
is it sad that i remember roleplaying with most of them?
seriously, one of my first roleplays on here was because of aj. in 2004. ;A; I'M OLD *SOB*

And yet some how your age says twelve XD. Its pretty much on that fact all the more active or skilled rpers are dying out(not literally mind you) there are very few people who even rp in general on this site. Hell theres only ten(I think been awhile since I checked) rps that are actually still holding on, ands only half of those are holding on strong.

Though what I have noticed lately since I returned a year ago the biggest issue is with the limiting factors people have been using on their rps(clearly already stated by Orion I know). When you limit people in numerical ways like abilities, attacks, or even the very items they use it shuts down a lot of creativity, and possible forces the creator to condense the original idea of a character there for ripping away a lot of what that character is to the point when they start its all good and great. Yet once it continues to the point that the limits of condension set in during certain situations.... well I am sure I dont need to finish.

Welp thats just about all I got to say on it.(awaits to see shot downs, and how this conversation continues.)

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
Can't the Dev Team sponsor us on the "New Post" sidebar bi-weekly? I mean how much traffic do you think the KH section was getting prior to it (like 86% if I had to guess), and even more since the site's overall facelift.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Can't the Dev Team sponsor us on the "New Post" sidebar bi-weekly? I mean how much traffic do you think the KH section was getting prior to it (like 86% if I had to guess), and even more since the site's overall facelift.

People don't really use the sidebar. KH section traffic is generated from activity, news and interest in the section (as it is the main purpose for the forum) Not the sidebar.

The sidebar won't really generate the traffic you want here if nobody actually looks at it.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
Kingdomkeylight, RP Managers' decisions on limiting characters in various ways is at their discretion. You make a good argument, but if one is creative, then one is good with working in limitations when constructing a character. I would like to believe that most sensible RP Managers limit and make such rulings to keep the playing field fair - as there are those new to the green grass here and old crusty souls who've squatted here for a long time - and to also keep pushing people in their creative writing ability.

Sure, you can have a character that is a god in the most literal sense (to exaggerate on this point), but where is the creativity in that? Where is the human connection, the sense of belief? If Ernest Hemingway can make a story in "For sale - baby shoes, unworn," (or however it's phrased) I'm pretty sure that, as RPers learn, they can and will gradually adapt their writing style. Because - if you create a "god-like" character, then where is the point of them even having a drive to doing anything - when they are "already" capable of everything?

Don't mean to sound rude but

What Dev Team are you thinking exists?

And Master Ethy Spockanort be corrects.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Have you guys thought of asking Sham to make awards for some of your contests?

Maybe he could make an award for the 2013 Roleplaying Awards similar to the KHI Academy Awards one.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards

I was planning to ask him about one for the Character of the Week after it had gotten a little further. Like one for someone who won ten or more.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I was planning to ask him about one for the Character of the Week after it had gotten a little further. Like one for someone who won ten or more.
It'd be great to have some more contest awards on the forums and sometimes these incentives bring out the competitive nature in people.

Your idea of winning 10 is really good, that way it doesn't get excessive.

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
People don't really use the sidebar. KH section traffic is generated from activity, news and interest in the section (as it is the main purpose for the forum) Not the sidebar.

The sidebar won't really generate the traffic you want here if nobody actually looks at it.

But it's such a glorious tool xD

and KH's traffic i would think is largely because of how your team of news hounds are on the horn with content, which leads to the idea of concising a team in this section to do something similar.

Don't mean to sound rude but

What Dev Team are you thinking exists?
...the administration that handles the appearance of the forum skins, plug-ins, etc. Like how it was recently updated, Dev team.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards

Huehuehuehuehue hueheueheuueue

...the administration that handles the appearance of the forum skins, plug-ins, etc. Like how it was recently updated, Dev team.

Eric and Santa Claus (if you look deep enough you will know he who is Santa)

Though one is site staff coder and the other is our Slavemaster

Just wondered why you put that creatively because to my knowledge there is no listed Dev Team

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
But it's such a glorious tool xD

It is definitely a good tool, but only when it actually gains functions. I don't think it'd be bad to put RP in it, but my personal opinion is that it just won't bring in the activity that is desired in here.

and KH's traffic i would think is largely because of how your team of news hounds are on the horn with content, which leads to the idea of concising a team in this section to do something similar.

Yes, mostly, but we hope to believe it is our efforts AND the members who love to participate in discussions about the series that keeps the section active.

You want to make a team to...report RPs? Am I understanding that right? I don't think it'd be...the right thing, but that does have merit. Perhaps asking for a "Featured RP of the Week" in the sidebar would be better. Like whatever the most active RP of the week is gets featured with a little blurb written by somebody like Orion or Rena or whoever else moderates this section. (If the popular RP is one from the week before you move on to the second most popular) You know, similar to the "Featured Sig of the week" box the old, old, old layout KHI had back in 2008.

Or even advertise in the Foyer? Since that is where new members tend to post, there could be a thread that says "We Need You, Roleplayers!" and write a nice, appealing description, update with new RPs. idk...Just throwing out ideas. /jumps out

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Though what I have noticed lately since I returned a year ago the biggest issue is with the limiting factors people have been using on their rps(clearly already stated by Orion I know). When you limit people in numerical ways like abilities, attacks, or even the very items they use it shuts down a lot of creativity
While I appreciate the point you are trying to make, I was talking about a purely narrative, non-mechanical aspect. A recent instance might be OmniChaos' R.E.M: We had a recent rewind out of nowhere. Some can and will deal with this, others might be hesitant to get back into things and wait to see what happens different, and others might feel snubbed that the continuity of their writing was essentially wiped out and not return to it after that point.
It sure does do away with typical roleplay narrative mechanics - and that can get people further intrigued and invested, wanting to know more - but it also has other effects that mightn't be as beneficial.

In other news, why are people talking about mechanics as limiting factors when I basically only mentioned them to say they weren't important as something else :s

Aye, I inquired if awards could be given out for the 2013 RP Awards - and perhaps other contests in general, as non Alter Ego recognition of outstanding contribution. He even said he'd be fine to make the icon, though I haven't touched on that topic for a week or more.

also wats wit dese foreners in my rp section git off mah property :p

You want to make a team to...report RPs? Am I understanding that right? I don't think it'd be...the right thing, but that does have merit. Perhaps asking for a "Featured RP of the Week" in the sidebar would be better. Like whatever the most active RP of the week is gets featured with a little blurb written by somebody like Orion or Rena or whoever else moderates this section. (If the popular RP is one from the week before you move on to the second most popular) You know, similar to the "Featured Sig of the week" box the old, old, old layout KHI had back in 2008.
One idea that's been bandied about is having a bi-weekly 'Creative Roundup/Spotlight' put up on the main page, though that being said the concept's only been around in circulation with RP people and passed by Shamdeo just to see if he was opposed to it. While I adore the roleplaying section, I'm a global moderator and thus have to look out for more than just my precious, besides which the whole of the Creative Corner is flaking. It'd be an update in three sections, with each dedicated to the different areas of the Creative Corner: A link to and a summary of a latest project in each area, plus maybe for each of those a paragraph-long bit of advice from someone in the relevant section, or maybe just one advice-bit which cycles for each section week-by-week. Things that are always around (The Academy, Character of the Week) quickly become akin to background noise because they're always around, and one-off events (like the Amazon-voucher-prize competition several months ago) have very little staying power. Something that strikes the balance might work. Maybe.

Or even advertise in the Foyer? Since that is where new members tend to post, there could be a thread that says "We Need You, Roleplayers!" and write a nice, appealing description, update with new RPs. idk...Just throwing out ideas. /jumps out
Maybe it's just me, but I'd feel a little bit uncomfortable doing inter-section thread-based advertisements. If it's, say, an advertisement banner that's up the top and out of the way I'd feel different, but maybe that's just me being funny.

And it's good to have your input. Stick around if you can help it, because a lot of the talking we've been doing is RP-section-insular and opinions from those who might be observing from the outside the proposed changes is very helpful.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Aye, I inquired if awards could be given out for the 2013 RP Awards - and perhaps other contests in general, as non Alter Ego recognition of outstanding contribution. He even said he'd be fine to make the icon, though I haven't touched on that topic for a week or more.
You're always on the ball. I think Omni has a really good idea for an award for CotW that should definitely be pitched to the lovely Shamdeo as well.

also wats wit dese foreners in my rp section git off mah property :p
i'm sorry dammit i just want to help because we're a team!!! </3

One idea that's been bandied about is having a bi-weekly 'Creative Roundup/Spotlight' put up on the main page,
The main page doesn't have much room for advertising anything, honestly. If you look at it, all it has is a small Community Spotlight which you could probably use every once in a while as I used it for the Halloween contest, but realistically I think there's too much KH news to promote there to have it continuously being Creative Corner oriented. It's likely that you could get it for a week or something (I didn't have it very long for the Halloween contest) so it's worth asking the Site Staff to ensure it won't clash with news and have to be taken down right away.

It's a weird suggestion, but have you thought to turn to Tumblr? I know it has a roleplaying community for KH and it might be possible to sway them to come onto KHI.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd feel a little bit uncomfortable doing inter-section thread-based advertisements. If it's, say, an advertisement banner that's up the top and out of the way I'd feel different, but maybe that's just me being funny.
The only problem with announcement banners versus an actual thread is that not everyone sees them unless they're incredibly eye catching, like the spoiler ones usually are. So you could definitely try to implement them but you would have to probably make an outrageous title to grab the general populous' attention. Use a lot of capslock! Lie about KH3! Anything that would grab attention.

If you would like I could start suggesting roleplays to some of the new members when they join? I would need you to direct me to which ones are appropriate because I obviously don't know this section as well as you. But occasionally they mention they like RPing so, you never know, it could possibly snag some people. And I generally welcome every member already, so it wouldn't be too much of a put out for me.

Last edited:

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
You're always on the ball. I think Omni has a really good idea for an award for SotW that should definitely be pitched to the lovely Shamdeo as well.

I wanted to continue CotW past the the first 72 week competition, and adding an award to it would certainly allow for me to do so.

If you would like I could start suggesting roleplays to some of the new members when they join? I would need you to direct me to which ones are appropriate because I obviously don't know this section as well as you. But occasionally they mention they like RPing so, you never know, it could possibly snag some people. And I generally welcome every member already, so it wouldn't be too much of a put out for me.

Well, you could always direct them to the Roleplaying Tavern and we could pick them up from there, just to make things easier. Because from there, we could direct them to roleplays, the Roleplaying Academy (once we get it restored), contests, or whatever.

It's a shame that the Roleplaying wiki fell through. I always like the concept of it, and we could have used it to archive a lot.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I wanted to continue CotW past the the first 72 week competition, and adding an award to it would certainly allow for me to do so.

Well, you could always direct them to the Roleplaying Tavern and we could pick them up from there, just to make things easier. Because from there, we could direct them to roleplays, the Roleplaying Academy (once we get it restored), contests, or whatever.

It's a shame that the Roleplaying wiki fell through. I always like the concept of it, and we could have used it to archive a lot.
I can definitely do that.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
We still could. Ashes Remnant is finally contactable again, and he has the admin privileges to the site. Unfortunately, we'd best avoid it becoming a simple store for people's templates, or a similar thing but where people can just go bananas on detail. That's all well and good for someone who just wants to write it down and cement it that way, but it just presents a textual monolith for those that want to get an idea of a character. If it could be better tailored to, say, summarise current roleplays that'd be great, plus categories could be implemented (provided they're kept up regularly) that'd give a quick glance of the state of current roleplays looking for revival, boosts in activity, etc.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
We still could. Ashes Remnant is finally contactable again, and he has the admin privileges to the site. Unfortunately, we'd best avoid it becoming a simple store for people's templates, or a similar thing but where people can just go bananas on detail. That's all well and good for someone who just wants to write it down and cement it that way, but it just presents a textual monolith for those that want to get an idea of a character.

I agree that it certainly should be more than just that, but I'd say that some characters should still be added. Not every one-off character people churn out, of course, but either characters that are expansive in the Roleplaying section or were either very memorable or important in their respective roleplay(s).

If it could be better tailored to, say, summarise current roleplays that'd be great, plus categories could be implemented (provided they're kept up regularly) that'd give a quick glance of the state of current roleplays looking for revival, boosts in activity, etc.

I agree completely and, also, could be used to follow multi-roleplay storyarcs (such as, for example, the Smiling Man's) and development of worlds. For example, instead of burdening the sign-up thread of a larger project with important world-related details (lore, major events, cities, races, etc.), it could be placed there.

EightBitRed

Bronze Member
Have you guys considered that maybe the site itself should have a main RP series that players can actually progress their character, form bonds and get stronger via a stat system instead of continually doing RP one shots. I've been here for nearly four to five years (maybe more) and it's still the same one shot direction. If you guys are seeking the creative freedom, the character development, and an experience where people can join together to make ideas and such then make a main Roleplay series. I would Personally suggest Naruto, but I don't know if you guys would be up for it.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Have you guys considered that maybe the site itself should have a main RP series that players can actually progress their character, form bonds and get stronger via a stat system instead of continually doing RP one shots. I've been here for nearly four to five years (maybe more) and it's still the same one shot direction. If you guys are seeking the creative freedom, the character development, and an experience where people can join together to make ideas and such then make a main Roleplay series. I would Personally suggest Naruto, but I don't know if you guys would be up for it.

We used to have the Inferno RP which was the shining gem of KHI Forums but after VB updated some years ago the dev didn't create an updated mod so it would work with the new version and so it had to be archived and closed down.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards

If anyone is interested, I could retool Kingdom Hearts Eclipse to serve this (or at least close to this) purpose. Not to blow my own horn, but the roleplay does have a fairly strong story, and it continues much of the KH theme, albeit in a darker tone. I would say it would be a solid choice for a "main roleplay" series.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
If anyone is interested, I could retool Kingdom Hearts Eclipse to serve this (or at least close to this) purpose. Not to blow my own horn, but the roleplay does have a fairly strong story, and it continues much of the KH theme, albeit in a darker tone. I would say it would be a solid choice for a "main roleplay" series.

Is this you implying we will actually continue the bloody story you ninny

If so you will have my cookies. And my axe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back