• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Tech ► On youtube, do you prefer videos with or without voices?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Youtube videos, with or without voices?

• I really don't want to have to read alot of text

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I'd rather not have to listen to their annoying voice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If they speak well and have a good voice, id prefer voice.

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • If the video is interesting enough, Id prefer text.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Khaki45

On youtube, when dealing with people's original content, do you prefer videos, with voices, so you can visualize the ideas better? Or do you prefer videos without voices?

Would you consider unsubscribing if someone did a video with their voice once, and you didn't like it?

Last edited:

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
With voices, immensely. It definitely gets the idea across better like you're asking in most situations, but it'd be better if you could describe exactly what it is you're talking about for what needs the voices. Some situations work, some don't.

Oh, random example here, but the game Bastion has a narrator refer to everything you're doing. It's great, and it definitely makes the game feel much more alive.

Khaki45

Hmmm ok Thanks for the feedback. I had been working on my first voiced video, had gotten a good 100 dollar microphone and everything, and did a tutorial, and I lost a subscriber, (though I lost them after I uploaded another quick video)

Your voice acting is pretty good btw

D.D.D

Stuffed in a sack and being thrown through a magic
Well, if it comes to Let's Plays, I definitely prefer talking. The Let's Player talking to the audience makes the entire experience more personal and it's nice to hear their thoughts on the subject.

The only time I don't like talking is if the talker does annoying things, like chewing gum or smacking their lips all the time. Blegh!

But yeah, overall, I like talking better.

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
There are some games, like Pokemon, where I find that if you are not a funny or an informative individual you should not speak.

A few minutes ago I was watching a video showing the new tournament mode for fighting old gym leaders and the person playing the game was not funny, and would not ever stop speaking even for a second.The whole time I'm just hoping he'll shut the hell up.

I don't like muting vids. It's just a peeve of mine that I should be able to hear what's happening in a video.

Chill

Silver Member
Awards
I'm pretty sure most, including me, prefer videos with commentary. As long as the recorders voice isn't too annoying.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Voices, as much as possible. The only exception I can think of is when some sort of footage is being shown with the express purpose of said footage being focussed upon (game walkthroughs, not let's plays, are an example of this). People delivering lengthy descriptions with text is absolutely horrible. I recently watched a 'video' of someone summarising their theories on Halo 4 plot related stuff, and it would have been so much better if it was just a static webpage.

In terms of lets plays, there should always be at least two people that can bounce jokes, commentary and stuff off each other, and who aren't afraid to go off on slight tangents occasionally so it's not entirely about the game. If you wanted something solely about the game, you'd watch a walkthrough. It's also particularly grinding to watch a single LP'er reach a slow point in the gameplay and having nothing much to say.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It's a good plan that if you plan on making youtube videos, the sound quality matters more than the visuals. You can tell a lot from just an audio posting. Youtubers usually always say to invest in a good microphone; make sure the mic quality is good, because that matters. Nobody wants to hear you breathing into your mic, your computer humming, etc. They want to be able to understand you. I don't stop watching a video because I find their voice annoying, but rather they have no idea how to make good quality videos that are actually understandable and I can hear what they're saying.

iDrops

It's a Farce...
Awards
I prefer videos both with and without voices. It really all depends on the person doing the commentary, if their voice is annoying, or if they're not interesting enough, then I'd rather they'd stay quiet. But if they're funny and I'm used to the person who's speaking, then they can speak. And if they have a sexy voice...

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
In terms of lets plays, there should always be at least two people that can bounce jokes, commentary and stuff off each other, and who aren't afraid to go off on slight tangents occasionally so it's not entirely about the game. If you wanted something solely about the game, you'd watch a walkthrough. It's also particularly grinding to watch a single LP'er reach a slow point in the gameplay and having nothing much to say.
This. Game Grumps is a great example of a let's play series, even though most fans hate calling it that. Orion definitely made some of the best points thus far in the thread though, it's great having 2 people to listen to as well just to get different takes of what's going on.

Awards
Website
sites.google.com
Two youtube commentators that I've thoroughly enjoyed listening too:
Senanners:
[video=youtube;83paMALiJFE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83paMALiJFE[/video]
This guy almost never talks about video games. Instead, he talks a lot about what's going on in his life, how he feels about certain things, etc. I've never been much into Call of Duty, but Seannanners is very skilled at video games in general (recently, he's played nothing but Trouble in Terrorist Town), he's fun to watch, and enjoyable to listen too.

On the other hand, ThePikaWu:
[video=youtube;5AzTb-DwSI0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AzTb-DwSI0[/video]
This guy does nothing but talk about his thought process, what he's doing, etc. Maybe it's because I'm so fascinated with competitive Pokemon play, but I love his videos. I think he has a good voice, and he talks in a way I can understand.

As far as live streams go, TheOddOne is my go to guy. He constantly talks about what he's doing (he streams League of Legends), and he's super hilarious to boot.
[video=youtube;gvvcGe8Rjd8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gvvcGe8Rjd8#![/video]

Khaki45

These are all some great thoughts and ideas....Though I had an unusual idea. There is a game I want to do videos of, its dialogue is made in the same style as 358/2 days, text with occasional grunts to go with it. I was thinking of reading the text for the audience. Good idea or bad?

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
These are all some great thoughts and ideas....Though I had an unusual idea. There is a game I want to do videos of, its dialogue is made in the same style as 358/2 days, text with occasional grunts to go with it. I was thinking of reading the text for the audience. Good idea or bad?
I personally don't feel like reading a lets play...

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
who the fuck wants to read a video. Especially Let's Plays. I don't see how that'd be interesting at all.

There are some games, like Pokemon, where I find that if you are not a funny or an informative individual you should not speak.

If a person wasn't making the video for comedy and not to be informative/show off skill, I don't see why they'd be making a video at all honestly. Seems like they'd be making the video for the sake of making the video, not because they enjoy entertaining people. Which is dumb. If you don't enjoy something, don't do it.

This. Game Grumps is a great example of a let's play series, even though most fans hate calling it that. Orion definitely made some of the best points thus far in the thread though, it's great having 2 people to listen to as well just to get different takes of what's going on.

7 asses.

---

There's a YouTube channel called NameThatHasLASERS that I personally enjoy immensely. It's a small channel, but Daniel (the guy who runs it) is really funny, and very interactive with his subscribers. I've been planning to start up a new channel and when I do I want to try to be like this guy (not like copying him, but seeing him as a role model for the quality I want).

Speaking of which, OP (and other's interested in YouTubing), you might want to check out this video:
[video=youtube;hdxqPWuYwxU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdxqPWuYwxU&feature=plcp[/video]

Awards
Pretty much everything I watch on Youtube is related to video games, and there are two types of commentating styles that I particularly enjoy. Those who are more serious and can actually point out interesting and informative things in what they're playing. And those who focus on comedy and having a good time.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Only if you give them funny voices. Again, a la Game Grumps in Animal Crossing recently.
[video=youtube;4UAJGwM9_EI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UAJGwM9_EI[/video]

Last edited:

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
[video=youtube;4UAJGwM9_EI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UAJGwM9_EI[/video]

i've seen this and i can't get enough of it
i was gonna post another video in reply
but that could lead to the thread being derail with grumps stuff

REMEMBER THAT EPISODE WHERE ASH CAUGHT A PUMBLOOM?

Pretty much everything I watch on Youtube is related to video games, and there are two types of commentating styles that I particularly enjoy. Those who are more serious and can actually point out interesting and informative things in what they're playing. And those who focus on comedy and having a good time.

I think that humor should be contained somewhat in Let's Plays. While Commentary is the main part, if there's no focus on the game at all, then I find it to start to become annoying (looks at pewdiepie).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back