• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Nomura comments on developing KH3 for the PS4

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
But imagine the mods. You can't deny the prospect of a mod-friendly KH being interesting at the very least. IF it's used creatively, as opposed to 'my original character, Xeebob' or waifu mods.

Oh, definitely. The potential is boundless, especially to fill whatever voids will be left in KH3. NPC mods if they only have a small number, a weather system or day/night cycle, up the particle effects on spells and flashy attacks, and framerate mods.

(Though I'm the type that'd totally go for cosmetic changes like every make character made shirtless, or replace Keyblades with brooms...because I'm just that trashyclassy~)

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Oh, definitely. The potential is boundless, especially to fill whatever voids will be left in KH3. NPC mods if they only have a small number, a weather system or day/night cycle, up the particle effects on spells and flashy attacks, and framerate mods.

(Though I'm the type that'd totally go for cosmetic changes like every make character made shirtless, or replace Keyblades with brooms...because I'm just that trashyclassy~)

Or replace all the characters with Keyblades and all the Keyblades with characters.. This is probably deserving a thread of it's own. There's actually a developing mod community for KH1, complete with graphical enhancements, voice swaps, texture swaps, and new abilities. Although it's done through emulation, and emulation is apparently the devil.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Why make a Final Mix when they could just release the extra content as DLC?

I think a Final Mix will happen in Japan (like usual) because:

1) It's a way to include the English audio track
2) It's a way to get the people in Japan to pay full price or close to full price for a good amount of extra content since people in Japan soak up special editions and things like that ;)

But imagine the mods. You can't deny the prospect of a mod-friendly KH being interesting at the very least. IF it's used creatively, as opposed to 'my original character, Xeebob' or waifu mods.

While I admit the mods would be amazing, most game companies don't make their games with the thought that it'll be great to mod the game lol I think the potential is always there though...

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

2) It's a way to get the people in Japan to pay full price or close to full price for a good amount of extra content since people in Japan soak up special editions and things like that ;)
Actually Square Enix is starting to offer Audio packs for other regions, as shown by them trying to see how many people are interested in downloading the Japanese voice pack for Lightning Returns, so they could easily just put the English audio up on the PSN.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Knowing our luck the DLC would be japan only. ತಎತ *snort*

Aw, I beg of everyone, let that not be true.

Hasn't Nomura stated that he wanted the occidental audience to experience the extra contents in the Final Mix versions as well? Now that the presence of DLC has made it easier for players to make purchases and all (you know, the saying that right now the world is at your fingertips), making it Japan-exclusive doesn't seem to go along with Nomura's intentions.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Which is made irrelevant by the potential for DLC. (Which SE has been testing the waters with ala LRFF, Drakengard 3, and that ridiculously expensive Tomb Raider language DLC nobody was going to spend money on) Why miss out on making money before making a "GOTY" edition?

I wouldn't say Japan soaks them up. They seem to appreciate them more than western countries do, but I think they dislike the artificial need for "Final Mix" games as much as we do.

What would make more sense is to do a bunch of DLC stuff then release a "Final Mix" version that bundles it all in + some extra worldwide because GOTY editions aren't as strange as they were a few years ago.

This is why I am certain we'll be getting a stream of cosmetic and story DLC for KH3 before Nomura ever opens his mouth about a Final Mix edition.

While I admit the mods would be amazing, most game companies don't make their games with the thought that it'll be great to mod the game lol I think the potential is always there though...

Nobody's talking about what the game company cares about xD If they got their way, nobody would ever even criticize their games.

kupo1121

Awards
Actually Square Enix is starting to offer Audio packs for other regions, as shown by them trying to see how many people are interested in downloading the Japanese voice pack for Lightning Returns, so they could easily just put the English audio up on the PSN.

Wow, I actually have never heard of them doing this. I just didn't think it happened that audio tracks were put up as DLC, but if that's true, then that does indeed get rid of the need for a disc for it :)

I wouldn't say Japan soaks them up. They seem to appreciate them more than western countries do, but I think they dislike the artificial need for "Final Mix" games as much as we do.

lol Maybe "soaks them up" sounded like a bit of an exaggeration, but when I talked to a few of the marketing reps for KH (at least who make the special editions for the US) they said the reason why Japan gets so much more stuff is because Japan is so willing to buy special editions easily; their words, not mine (they didn't say "soak them up" lol just to make that clear, I take full responsibility for that term).

What would make more sense is to do a bunch of DLC stuff then release a "Final Mix" version that bundles it all in + some extra worldwide because GOTY editions aren't as strange as they were a few years ago.

The only reason I don't see them releasing a Final Mix as a GOTY edition is because if they released a Final Mix disc after all the DLC came out already (including the audio pack) then I think it's far less an incentive for people to buy it. I'm not sure how they could do it honestly, but as long as I can get the DLC, I really don't care how :)

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Wow, I actually have never heard of them doing this. I just didn't think it happened that audio tracks were put up as DLC, but if that's true, then that does indeed get rid of the need for a disc for it :)
Yeah, Foreign Language DLC is becoming a thing. Sometimes, multiple audio and subtitle tracks are bundled in the same pacjage.

lol Maybe "soaks them up" sounded like a bit of an exaggeration, but when I talked to a few of the marketing reps for KH (at least who make the special editions for the US) they said the reason why Japan gets so much more stuff is because Japan is so willing to buy special editions easily; their words, not mine (they didn't say "soak them up" lol just to make that clear, I take full responsibility for that term).
They do, which I actually wish would happen more in America. We still see special editions all the time, it's just that most people-even fans-don't like the idea of twice paying full price, even if it's a Final Mix or an Extended Edition. Understandably too.

The only reason I don't see them releasing a Final Mix as a GOTY edition is because if they released a Final Mix disc after all the DLC came out already (including the audio pack) then I think it's far less an incentive for people to buy it. I'm not sure how they could do it honestly, but as long as I can get the DLC, I really don't care how :)
That can be argued in the case of any GOTY edition. But they're still bundled and released. They're more for the benefit of new players who don't already own the game and those who had the foresight enough to hold out to avoid overspending.

kupo1121

Awards
Yeah, Foreign Language DLC is becoming a thing. Sometimes, multiple audio and subtitle tracks are bundled in the same pacjage.

I'm kind of torn on whether or not I want a Japanese audio pack now as DLC, regardless of how unlikely it is to be release in the US.

They do, which I actually wish would happen more in America. We still see special editions all the time, it's just that most people-even fans-don't like the idea of twice paying full price, even if it's a Final Mix or an Extended Edition. Understandably too.

I agree that I want more special editions over here but it's understandable that it isn't given JRPGs aren't nearly as big here as they are in Japan where they are more guaranteed to sell as opposed to sitting on the shelf. Not to mention we're no doubt biased with our love for KH :p

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm kind of torn on whether or not I want a Japanese audio pack now as DLC, regardless of how unlikely it is to be release in the US.

Why? What is so bad about it? The VAs get paid, the company gets paid, everybody gets paid. We get voices.

???

Profit

I agree that I want more special editions over here but it's understandable that it isn't given JRPGs aren't nearly as big here as they are in Japan where they are more guaranteed to sell as opposed to sitting on the shelf. Not to mention we're no doubt biased with our love for KH :p

It's not even a matter of being a JRPG. Many games no matter the genre or popularity in NA get limited edition. The problem is either that devs aren't investing in them or they are and they overdo it (see: Ubisoft)

The solution is to a) invest in them because there is the fanatic fan who will buy it, b) make them actually limited to avoid overspending on making them. Don't slap "Limited Edition" on something then print 100k+ of them.

kupo1121

Awards
Why? What is so bad about it? The VAs get paid, the company gets paid, everybody gets paid. We get voices.

???

Profit

Because I don't want it to be expensive lol :( If it's a good price, oh yes I'd jump at it, but if it's expensive, it'll just kill me that I want it but it's too pricey <_<

It's not even a matter of being a JRPG. Many games no matter the genre or popularity in NA get limited edition. The problem is either that devs aren't investing in them or they are and they overdo it (see: Ubisoft)

The solution is to a) invest in them because there is the fanatic fan who will buy it, b) make them actually limited to avoid overspending on making them. Don't slap "Limited Edition" on something then print 100k+ of them.

lol this is true IDK why they just make incredibly limited edition versions. Like ones with barely 1000 in the entire nation. They could charge pretty much whatever they want (within reason, no $1000 special editions obviously) and those 1000 would definitely between actual fans and people who buy extra to re-sell them online (since after those 1000 are gone the price would no doubt skyrocket on the secondary market...supply and demand and all that stuff I don't really get).

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
Because I don't want it to be expensive lol :( If it's a good price, oh yes I'd jump at it, but if it's expensive, it'll just kill me that I want it but it's too pricey <_<

It's an option so it doesn't hurt, no matter if it's priced or not.

The voice DLC for LR is free though so they could be following that route which is commendable, to say the least.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
The voice DLC for LR is free though so they could be following that route which is commendable, to say the least.
Free for the first 2 weeks actually. After that, you need to buy it.

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
Free for the first 2 weeks actually. After that, you need to buy it.

Yeah but it's free for everyone, even for those who don't have the game yet. So you just go on the store and purchase it for future use - I don't know why Square didn't make that clearer.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
The way they worded it, it sounds like they would do it only after they've released a console version. Japanese people don't PC game that much and that tends to be their primary audience regardless of sales trends in other countries.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I could really see it going either way for FFXV, given Square has released FF on PC before.. For Kingdom Hearts, I really can't say. We never had KH on Xbone either, but that changed..

kupo1121

Awards
It's an option so it doesn't hurt, no matter if it's priced or not.

But IF it is expensive, I want it, I'd rather not pay a ridiculous price for it (but I'd probably buy it anyways but I'd like to save that money for other stuff in a perfect world). Free is a great option though, I'd probably get it in the first 2 weeks if they did that again.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
I could really see it going either way for FFXV, given Square has released FF on PC before.. For Kingdom Hearts, I really can't say. We never had KH on Xbone either, but that changed..

I can't see Disney allowing it, especially if the suspicion that they kept BBS from the PSN is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back