• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

My thoughts on the future of RAX and TAV trio.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

allenleonardo

Awards
I really rather the lot of them be retired & never appear again in the series. Not shitting on them here, I just think KH4 needs to be more of a fresh start & dump a lot of the baggage.

Unfortunately that's already not gonna happen.

I like most of the people in these trio but I would be happy if they dont play any big role anymore (or at least not all of them). But it seems that at least Axel and Isa will play a role because of the unknown person. But imo that might not mean that the other two will follow them. Maybe Roxas and Xion might just want to live a normal life for once, but at the same time would Roxas truly sit down with Sora being gone? Will he fully trust Riku with bringing him back?

Ventus will probably be important to the next story because of him coming from the age of fairytales. Terra and Aqua not so much but would they sit back and let Ventus on his travel alone?

So theoretically they have reasons to be part of the next big KH game but it would just bloat the list of characters again..and we dont even know how many more new characters we get.

Maybe this could be at least partially solved if they get a KH game before KH4 that shows them and let them be playable as a sent of?

Obiewantsanipod

I like most of the people in these trio but I would be happy if they dont play any big role anymore (or at least not all of them). But it seems that at least Axel and Isa will play a role because of the unknown person. But imo that might not mean that the other two will follow them. Maybe Roxas and Xion might just want to live a normal life for once, but at the same time would Roxas truly sit down with Sora being gone? Will he fully trust Riku with bringing him back?

Ventus will probably be important to the next story because of him coming from the age of fairytales. Terra and Aqua not so much but would they sit back and let Ventus on his travel alone?

So theoretically they have reasons to be part of the next big KH game but it would just bloat the list of characters again..and we dont even know how many more new characters we get.

Maybe this could be at least partially solved if they get a KH game before KH4 that shows them and let them be playable as a sent of?

I hear what you're saying and I use to think I'd rather most characters be retired. But then again why? If say they "soft reboot" the franchise, that won't negate any of the events that took place. So they can choose to abstain from mentioning previous games but newcomers can still look up let's say Riku and see previous events that he's been through. He's had the best story arc thus far. And it would add depth to characters instead of going through the trouble of trying to better define new characters only.

That, and the fact that preexisting characters don't have to be around all the time. Xion and Roxas can appear in KHIV to try and help bring Sora back or something. Terra and Aqua can jump in during KHV or VI when things with Ven get really heated. Isa and Lea can be present throughout the next saga seeing as how they're relevant.

My point is that they don't all have to pop in every single game. So even though I agree with the notion of old characters taking a back seat, I don't see why a few of them can't be utilized for better action, depth, plot twists, etc. in every individual game.

Twilight Lumiair

Awards

The main reason I'm not interested in the series going this route is because we've already spent so long waiting for most of these characters to come back into the series, and I'd like to imagine people weren't honestly waiting all these years on their proper return just to say goodbye to them again immediately after (although I've shockingly been seeing quite a lot of this notion). I know I certainly wasn't. And just to clarify, I'm not trying to devalue the opinion of those who did wish for that, but I can't remotely understand that line thinking. The primary reason I wanted them back is so I could see MORE of them, especially those who's story felt brief and fleeting compared to the journeys of other protagonist. If Ux has told me anything, it's that Nomura can fully bring anyone into focus if he truly wanted to. Grant it, a lot of the attempts to connect Ux to the other games do come off a bit contrived to me, but it shouldn't be hard to create more grounded conflicts and points of expansion if enough time and care is put into thinking them out.

In the end, if we never, or even rarely hear from most of the returning protagonist that aren't yet shown to be involved in upcoming events, that's pretty much the last straw for me before my interest in the series is completely gone. I wouldn't necessarily want a whole bunch in one game again like KH3 (since Nomura has thoroughly proven he can't write large cast well at all), but a legitimate and satisfying continuation of their stories and personal narratives is really all I'm asking for. Especially those who didn't even get the chance to develop more in upon their return in Kh3 because it was so backloaded and there just wasn't enough time.

Last edited:

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
and the fact that Nomura has already mentioned one or two games before KHIV makes me think the spin-offs in between numbered titles can cover all necessary story elements.
I was referring to this exactly. Maybe spinoff #1 is Xehanort game, #2 is Riku meeting up with Sora and getting out of wherever they are, and KH4 will be Sora Returns: KINGDOM HEARTS 4 (lol) and they start to fight the MoM and Foretellers.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
I was referring to this exactly. Maybe spinoff #1 is Xehanort game, #2 is Riku meeting up with Sora and getting out of wherever they are, and KH4 will be Sora Returns: KINGDOM HEARTS 4 (lol) and they start to fight the MoM and Foretellers.

Begs the question though if Nomura is really willing to make a Xehanort game any time soon. We figured we were going to get BBS Vol. 2, and yet... lol Although, I guess 0.2 is more or less that. I feel like the next entry is most likely going to deal with Sora and Riku, since that's the biggest thing on everyone's minds, but I would like a Xehanort prequel. I wonder how he went from the kid we see playing chess with Eraqus to being the antagonist we see now.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Well I make it no secret that RAX is like my favorite part of Kingdom Hearts, I expect them to take a more backseat going forward. Same with TAV. Both groups do have opened doors for the future. TAV with Ventus's past and RAX+Isa with subject X. I can see TAV and RAX being the new restoration crew, that help Sora from time to time. It doesn't make sense to retire them right now because if that's it for them then why bring them back in the first place? They barely did anything in KH3. Should have just left them as tragic characters if you aren't going to do anything with them in the future.

KH3 got a ton of backlash for no FF characters. Same thing would happen here if these guys got the axe, they have fanbases too. I don't expect RAX or TAV to be on the level of Sora or Riku, nor should they be. But a appearance or a small gummiphone call cameo would be nice. What they should have done for Leon's group.

Amadeus

Awards
I agree with Spockanort's point fully. Most KH fans really don't care much for the plot, they're in it for the characters. I might have been more receptive to an all-new cast before Mass Effect: Andromeda came out, but after seeing its reception, I'm not so sure I want KH to go in the same direction. After the ME trilogy, everyone was so attached to Shepard and co. that their exclusion from ME:A became a major reason for its unpopularity. I personally liked what I've played of ME:A, but it's probably because I got to the party late and was expecting a worse game than it is. I seriously think KH would suffer in the same way if it cut the supporting cast; I'd still give a rebooted KH a shot, but I'd of course miss the characters I've come to love over the years.

I kind of rambled around, but what I'm trying to say is that soft-resetting a series with such beloved characters without said characters has already proven to be unpopular with player bases. For that reason alone, I doubt SQEX/Disney would let Nomura do it even if he wanted to. After all, "No one axes Axel," not even the devs....

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I agree with the notion that Aqua and Terra wouldn't just leave Ven to travel on his own to learn more about his past. They've been struggling for the past 10 years to be together and if Ven wants to look into his past they'll just lock up the Land of Departure and support him on his quest.

With RAX I think Roxas and Xion might want to retire and live their normal lives. But would be more than ready and willing to help Axel if he needed them. Though honestly I could also easily see them decide their normal life can wait until they helped their friend.

Even, if these characters don't get their own games and are front and center I could see them being in the background of future games with their own B and C plots going on, with the occasional Gummi Phone call.

Begs the question though if Nomura is really willing to make a Xehanort game any time soon. We figured we were going to get BBS Vol. 2, and yet... lol Although, I guess 0.2 is more or less that. I feel like the next entry is most likely going to deal with Sora and Riku, since that's the biggest thing on everyone's minds, but I would like a Xehanort prequel. I wonder how he went from the kid we see playing chess with Eraqus to being the antagonist we see now.
I thought Nomura said he wanted to make one, but now that the Seeker of Darkness Saga is over he feels like he should leave the Xehanort prequel rest for now.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I agree with Spockanort's point fully. Most KH fans really don't care much for the plot, they're in it for the characters. I might have been more receptive to an all-new cast before Mass Effect: Andromeda came out, but after seeing its reception, I'm not so sure I want KH to go in the same direction. After the ME trilogy, everyone was so attached to Shepard and co. that their exclusion from ME:A became a major reason for its unpopularity. I personally liked what I've played of ME:A, but it's probably because I got to the party late and was expecting a worse game than it is. I seriously think KH would suffer in the same way if it cut the supporting cast; I'd still give a rebooted KH a shot, but I'd of course miss the characters I've come to love over the years.

I kind of rambled around, but what I'm trying to say is that soft-resetting a series with such beloved characters without said characters has already proven to be unpopular with player bases. For that reason alone, I doubt SQEX/Disney would let Nomura do it even if he wanted to. After all, "No one axes Axel," not even the devs....

Count me among one of those fans who doesn't really care about the plot. I'm in it for the characters and their dorky friendships. I've never considered Kingdom Hearts a well told story, my passion for it is character driven. And the fun gameplay doesn't hurt either :p

Amadeus

Awards
Count me among one of those fans who doesn't really care about the plot. I'm in it for the characters and their dorky friendships. I've never considered Kingdom Hearts a well told story, my passion for it is character driven. And the fun gameplay doesn't hurt either :p

Lol same, my priorities with KH are characters, gameplay, and plot, in that order. I care about the story, but if it’s messy and wacky and wild, that’s fine. Let it be as convoluted as possible; KH is a videogame, after all, and my philosophy is that it’s a good game if I have fun playing it.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Are there actually people that are still with the series for the plot? I mean, for the longest time I've only been following the series because I liked the characters it introduced and the relationships it build or at least hints at. Also in my experience most KH games are at least somewhat fun to really fun to play.

Obiewantsanipod

I've mentioned this before, but one of the reasons I don't want Roxas in particular to be retired is because I want a scenario where the MoM and his foretellers go after the Union X leaders and there's a lot of strategizing involved. So much so that Ven and Roxas switch places and we spend a whole game or so running into "Ven", only to find out it's been Roxas all along.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I've mentioned this before, but one of the reasons I don't want Roxas in particular to be retired is because I want a scenario where the MoM and his foretellers go after the Union X leaders and there's a lot of strategizing involved. So much so that Ven and Roxas switch places and we spend a whole game or so running into "Ven", only to find out it's been Roxas all along.
Nomura needs to make up for their disappointing meeting by doing this.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
I thought Nomura said he wanted to make one, but now that the Seeker of Darkness Saga is over he feels like he should leave the Xehanort prequel rest for now.

I believe that to be the case. Even if he didn't say it, it's pretty clear that he's wanting to move on to the next saga as soon as possible, so a Xehanort game might not be in the pipeline for a good while.

Are there actually people that are still with the series for the plot? I mean, for the longest time I've only been following the series because I liked the characters it introduced and the relationships it build or at least hints at. Also in my experience most KH games are at least somewhat fun to really fun to play.

I follow it for the plot. I actually like it a lot. What helps is that I appreciate Kingdom Hearts for what it is, and not have huge expectations going into a new entry. I just wanna know what happens next, I don't ever really have a goal wish-list of what I want to have happen or anything of the sort, which is why I loved KH3. To me, I went into KH3 knowing that it's a brand new entry in the series in which we stop Xehanort, and everybody gets saved. I also didn't beat it in two days like everyone else did, I deliberately took a week, and that's why the pacing for me feels consistent.

Gameplay is obviously up there for me too, as well as the cast, but I've always found the plot fascinating.

allenleonardo

Awards
My point is that they don't all have to pop in every single game. So even though I agree with the notion of old characters taking a back seat, I don't see why a few of them can't be utilized for better action, depth, plot twists, etc. in every individual game.

Well a few of them (especially Ventus, Isa, Axel) will be in future games because they still have plot points that are open. The question is: Would fans of these characters really be fine with just small cameos in other games? And if Xion and Roxas just wants to be normal and live their lifes, wouldnt it be bad for them as characters to be forced into the plot again?

In the end for me at least, the cast is already way too big which takes away from each single character (that is not SDG, Riku and Mickey) and we will surely get even more characters in the future and olders ones from the organisation that got recompleted, so we still have more than enough. I just think that this might be too much for Nomura to handle well. (Didnt he also say in an interview that we will have to say good bye to some of the cast?)

Of course I can fully understand that one would want to see or play as their favorite character (for me that would be Sora) but I am just not sure if that would be good for the story in the long run.

The main reason I'm not interested in the series going this route is because we've already spent so long waiting for most of these characters to come back into the series, and I'd like to imagine people weren't honestly waiting all these years on their proper return just to say goodbye to them again immediately after (although I've shockingly been seeing quite a lot of this notion).

And that is of course completely fine. But at least for me I just feel like them being saved is already a huge pay off. I mean Xion for example got her death in Days and she could have stayed death, yet Nomura decided to save them all. So for me KH3 just gave characters like Roxas and Xion their proper good ending thus their story is kinda over, instead of them being tragic characters. For me this kinda means that their story is over, that they have finally earned their rest. Of course they could still be part of the other games as simple cameos and seeing how they are doing (but would that be acceptable by their fans?) but I would not want them to be main characters again.

Last edited:

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
Well a few of them (especially Ventus, Isa, Axel) will be in future games because they still have plot points that are open. The question is: Would fans of these characters really be fine with just small cameos in other games? And if Xion and Roxas just wants to be normal and live their lifes, wouldnt it be bad for them as characters to be forced into the plot again?

And this is why I'd rather Nomura focus on the stories he wants to tell instead of letting fans pressure him into including characters that have no business being involved in a plot that doesn't serve them. That's how things get muddy, and if people feel that KH3's final stretch was unsatisfying, that's because even Nomura himself said he struggled with wrapping all the loose ends up. It makes no sense to then go and do what made things difficult in the first place, even if fans want otherwise.

I mean it's possible that he's going to keep everyone relevant in the story, but I think some characters are gonna have to take a backseat for a while. It's either that, or we have another game cycle where people feel upset that someone didn't get enough screen time or the plot screwed them over. No sense in implementing a character if there isn't going to be a proper use for them. At least for right now. Let their chapter play out when it should.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
Like I've said in other threads, a Xehanort game would be the perfect bridge title between KH3 and KH4 because we, the players, would be Xehanort learning about the KHx/Ux lore.

It really makes me wonder what exactly are we getting for the next game. I imagine Shibuya would play a part in this, but a Xehanort game would be great.

Obiewantsanipod

Like I've said in other threads, a Xehanort game would be the perfect bridge title between KH3 and KH4 because we, the players, would be Xehanort learning about the KHx/Ux lore.

I think that would be brilliant. On the one hand the lore of KHUX needs to be revisited on console, on the other we can learn about what happened to Scala and how Xehanort ended up inhereting the No Name and becoming the way he is.

Back