• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Main Roleplay: Kingdom Hearts Eclipse - Interest Check

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Should Kingdom Hearts Eclipse be made into the main roleplay? Why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
Ven, I'm not against a point-based system, but what's your problem with my system? The way I see it, it offers the best of both worlds.

Because I will accept cold, inhuman, calculated stat numbers over words such as "Poor, Medium, or Strong, etc" in a case such as what could arise. Because numbers cannot be construed or misconstrued - such is their magic.

EightBitRed

Bronze Member
As long as you have good Gms, good plot, flexible stat system, and most importantly letting players decide the outcome of the story through majority decisions in-game. You'll have my support!

Rolands

Even with a Points Based System, or any system at all, the RPer's writing should not be affected. The character they want to create should not be affected - I will literally sloth naysayers to death.
Of course that's the ideal, but I don't think putting "intelligence" and "charisma" in with other stats is conducive to that. As I said, it's a cap on the player. Those wishing to play intelligent or charismatic characters shortchange themselves in other categories when the statistics have no objective worth. And it's not as if having characters of that sort would be particularly troublesome. After all, the writers will be making up their intelligence and charisma on their own, and regardless of how intelligent they are they're in largely the same circumstances as the others. Unless you allow some sort of god who can hypnotize others with his voice or create time machines out of bedrock, I don't see the issue.

Just for the record, had godmodding even been an issue in the past? Not that it should discourage organization either way.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
Of course that's the ideal, but I don't think putting "intelligence" and "charisma" in with other stats is conducive to that. As I said, it's a cap on the player. Those wishing to play intelligent or charismatic characters shortchange themselves in other categories when the statistics have no objective worth. And it's not as if having characters of that sort would be particularly troublesome. After all, the writers will be making up their intelligence and charisma on their own, and regardless of how intelligent they are they're in largely the same circumstances as the others. Unless you allow some sort of god who can hypnotize others with his voice or create time machines out of bedrock, I don't see the issue.

Just for the record, had godmodding even been an issue in the past? Not that it should discourage organization either way.

I can concede with the Intelligence + Charisma not being entirely necessary argument, more or less.

Godmodding might have been an issue in the past - however, I'd like to personally keep it from occurring now and in the future, because it is gross

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Charisma and Intelligence could play an interesting role in giving people a trait to write towards, however given how difficult some people find it to stick to the plain old personalities of their characters (or just deviate from their typical written-attitude) I don't think it's likely to prove effective.

Chromatic

Become
Awards
Because I will accept cold, inhuman, calculated stat numbers over words such as "Poor, Medium, or Strong, etc" in a case such as what could arise. Because numbers cannot be construed or misconstrued - such is their magic.

Relative to each other, numbers are better. But with either numbers or words, people will have to understand what the numbers mean for the character.

Chromatic

Become
Awards
You know, if we're really looking to make a "main roleplay" for the RP section, shouldn't we really be trying to make something that's, well, not so focused combat? I mean, everyone's here debating what to do about "stats" and a battling system. But maybe we could skip that hurdle and design an RP that's would only have a minimal drive to combative conflict. And if that's already the plan, why bother worrying about setting up stats and more about making sure that all of the fight-minded players stay on their leash and actually focus on their characters as people rather than weapons?

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
You know, if we're really looking to make a "main roleplay" for the RP section, shouldn't we really be trying to make something that's, well, not so focused combat? I mean, everyone's here debating what to do about "stats" and a battling system. But maybe we could skip that hurdle and design an RP that's would only have a minimal drive to combative conflict. And if that's already the plan, why bother worrying about setting up stats and more about making sure that all of the fight-minded players stay on their leash and actually focus on their characters as people rather than weapons?

Not so focused combat leaves a hole for any real conflict to occur in the RP's story. Yes, you can have other types of conflicts in an RP, but given this is a KH fansite forum, wouldn't it be more appropriate to settle things by bashing enemies to death with giant keys?

And characters are people. Not all have to be a weapon, use a weapon, or etc; you make a shaky argument - given that in general once our ancestors learned how to make stone tools to kill our other ancestors still using just rocks for whatever they had, more or less . . .

The general buzz of "stats" came about because of whatever general purpose (I honestly don't remember off the top of my head why), so as to cause people to perhaps really sit down and think "What/Who is the character I want to portray? How can I best portray them?". Basically make them more human, in a sense - as some people are good at something, others at another, and so on.

A general stats system would at least curb attempts at overpowered characters and in doing so make them more or less human; because if I wanted to keep fight-minded players on their leash in the most "me way possible," I'd honestly just sit and put together a character designed only to kill whatever character(s) that would be their avatar(s) in that RP's realm.

A stats system is nicer, simpler, and there's no bullshit. Not trying to sound mean or condescending in any way, but one's creativity shouldn't be stunted just because of the possible addition of a stats system - it might actually help some people in limiting them in some ways.

Chromatic

Become
Awards
Not so focused combat leaves a hole for any real conflict to occur in the RP's story. Yes, you can have other types of conflicts in an RP, but given this is a KH fansite forum, wouldn't it be more appropriate to settle things by bashing enemies to death with giant keys?

And characters are people. Not all have to be a weapon, use a weapon, or etc; you make a shaky argument - given that in general once our ancestors learned how to make stone tools to kill our other ancestors still using just rocks for whatever they had, more or less . . .

The general buzz of "stats" came about because of whatever general purpose (I honestly don't remember off the top of my head why), so as to cause people to perhaps really sit down and think "What/Who is the character I want to portray? How can I best portray them?". Basically make them more human, in a sense - as some people are good at something, others at another, and so on.

A general stats system would at least curb attempts at overpowered characters and in doing so make them more or less human; because if I wanted to keep fight-minded players on their leash in the most "me way possible," I'd honestly just sit and put together a character designed only to kill whatever character(s) that would be their avatar(s) in that RP's realm.

A stats system is nicer, simpler, and there's no bullshit. Not trying to sound mean or condescending in any way, but one's creativity shouldn't be stunted just because of the possible addition of a stats system - it might actually help some people in limiting them in some ways.

Well personally, I grow somewhat tired of seeing full scale RPs that revolve so tightly around people and factions running around trying beat each other senseless and such, which seems to be the most prominent amongst this community. And I think we can all agree that it's seen more than it's share of world/realm/universe busting characters, most of which aren't always inherently necessary for the plot; characters being designed more as weapons than as actual people. Or have I really not paid enough attention to things around here?

All I'm suggesting is that maybe we strive to create something that's a little more relaxed in terms of its "action" qualities. As in something that's not set in an all out war. Something where actual combat really just springs up on the side because two characters have a score to settle; something that's there that people can do, but not actually necessary to the plot.

Really, something where having an "overpowered" character just wouldn't be permitted or feasible under the settings. Such characters can only exist because people allow them too. And clearly, the fact that there are attempts to curb overpowered characters suggest that there's enough of them floating around the necessitate action. But has anyone tried just saying "no" to those characters? Expressing their concerns? Actually encouraging people to play characters that maybe aren't so powerful, as to make them more human? What will a stat system accomplish that tighter moderation and a less action based focus couldn't?

I just think that for a "main roleplay" we should have something that's less driven by fighting.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
Well personally, I grow somewhat tired of seeing full scale RPs that revolve so tightly around people and factions running around trying beat each other senseless and such, which seems to be the most prominent amongst this community.

People like action; it's a simple fact. If you want a laid-back, slice-of-life roleplay, make one.

And I think we can all agree that it's seen more than it's share of world/realm/universe busting characters, most of which aren't always inherently necessary for the plot; characters being designed more as weapons than as actual people. Or have I really not paid enough attention to things around here?

If you are at all referring to me, than you will be gravely mistaken in implying any of my characters are "weapons," as there is certainly a great deal more to them, even if it isn't always so apparent.

All I'm suggesting is that maybe we strive to create something that's a little more relaxed in terms of its "action" qualities. As in something that's not set in an all out war. Something where actual combat really just springs up on the side because two characters have a score to settle; something that's there that people can do, but not actually necessary to the plot.

For a main roleplay on a Kingdom Hearts site? What do you want? Sora and Riku chilling on Destiny Island with nothing to do? Combat is embedded in Kingdom Hearts so deeply that trying to take it out would be like trying to take pecan out of pecan pie. It just isn't the same.

Really, something where having an "overpowered" character just wouldn't be permitted or feasible under the settings. Such characters can only exist because people allow them too.

If people allow them to exist, then wouldn't that imply they want them too? An "overpowered" character in the right hands is no more intrusive to the general experience of a roleplay than any normal character.

And clearly, the fact that there are attempts to curb overpowered characters suggest that there's enough of them floating around the necessitate action.

The stat system is not designed to prevent "overpowered" characters, simply to decide stalemates that cannot be resolved in-character and to hopefully cut back on excessive dodging. That is all. It will not have any impact on the roleplay beyond that.

Actually encouraging people to play characters that maybe aren't so powerful, as to make them more human?

This is a Kingdom Hearts roleplay. Half of the characters aren't even human in the first place.

I just think that for a "main roleplay" we should have something that's less driven by fighting.

Again, it's a Kingdom Hearts roleplay.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
Most of what you're kerplunking about on your keyboard Chromatic is really just boiled down to how people write and portray their character(s) in writing. Attempting to tailor the RP towards that won't change individuals' writing.

Ironically, the first Character versus Character that comes to mind which was (more or less) interaction/plot-based is this one, and it emerged from this Roleplay.

Chromatic

Become
Awards
Why does everyone like to take what I say to an extreme? I'm not suggesting any sort of "disarming" or stripping this of any action or combat whatsoever. My point is just that characters fighting against each other has, quite often, proven to consume the content of RPs in one sense or another. My train of thought is moving slowly today, so the words to explain myself more concisely are getting lost pretty easily. Then, maybe I'm just looking this all wrong; it wouldn't be the first time I did.

Though in all honesty, I'm still waiting on more of an explanation on how the stats would apply in combat.

And also, I wonder, how would this, as the "main RP" be set up in terms of threads? Would it in fact be something that gets its own sub-section(s) with multiple threads to facilitate it (its own discussion thread, a character repository thread, recaps, maybe a world list in the OOC; and then the IC being moved by individual, player-made threads)? Or would be a normal OOC-IC set up?

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
I'm sorry if I came off nasty last night. I was in a foul mood and took it out on you.

Though in all honesty, I'm still waiting on more of an explanation on how the stats would apply in combat.

All the stats are supposed to do are to resolve stalemates (and maybe reduce excessive dodging). Take this example:

Character A and Character B are locked in a physical stalemate. Neither Roleplayer wishes to take the loss. Therefore, we look to the character stats. Character A's "force" (hypothetical idea; Character A's attack - Character B's defense = Character A's force) is higher than Character B's (vice-versa), then Character A would win the stalemate.

As I said, this process is still only hypothetical, but I believe it should convey the general idea.

And also, I wonder, how would this, as the "main RP" be set up in terms of threads? Would it in fact be something that gets its own sub-section(s) with multiple threads to facilitate it (its own discussion thread, a character repository thread, recaps, maybe a world list in the OOC; and then the IC being moved by individual, player-made threads)? Or would be a normal OOC-IC set up?

It won't be its own sub-section. If, in time, it grows to the point where it needs to be, then maybe, but it still depends on whether Sham and Taylor feel it needs one. As it stands, there will be one OoC thread (which will incorporate everything and would likely be stickied) and then all the IC threads.

Chromatic

Become
Awards
Don't worry. You didn't come off as nasty. Besides, I'm not the best when it comes to debating; my points are never quite as clear and thought out as they should be.

So basically, the stats will really just be something of a last resort? Would this system be one for growth as well? We start (most characters anyways) with lower stats that grow over the course of the RP's events.

On another note, I do have my reservations. I feel like Eclipse might not be the best choice for something like this, unless it's plot was going to be altered to accommodate the more on-going characteristic that seems to be the plan.

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
On another note, I do have my reservations. I feel like Eclipse might not be the best choice for something like this, unless it's plot was going to be altered to accommodate the more on-going characteristic that seems to be the plan.

As someone who knows the plot skeleton in its entirety, I can assure you that there's length enough. In fact, this roleplay could potentially outlast many of the section's current roleplayers.

Chromatic

Become
Awards
I guess I can't argue with inside knowledge. I just wonder, would it simply be a long-lasting RP? Or would it be something that could be stretched on and held in permanence if need be or desired?

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
From a basic story/plot perspective, (though I am not privy to the ins and outs of the plot) even if the original plot line is finished, the story/settings/characters will evolve over the course of the main plot - in which by the time a conclusion is reached, the RP will continue on, most likely with other threats/betrayals/unknown factors that will or can arise against the various protagonists.

Life is a rainbow of things.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
The Eclipse King's storyarc is limited (though can still be stretched plenty long, if needed), but his is only the first. I have one, possibly two, storyarcs that will follow, ending with what I'd like to think of as the ultimate antagonist of the Kingdom Hearts series, and will be tied into the story fairly well. That said, the roleplay does have the potential to be endless, yes.

And trust me, Ordeith, I have been keeping plenty of secrets for the far end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back