So here is what I was expecting from KH3 bare minimum in the months prior to this leak and I honestly I don't think I was ever being unreasonable with my expectations:
Spoiler Show1. Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix took me about 25 hours to complete the main story, cutscenes and all, not including side content. So I expected the main story of Kingdom Hearts III to take around 30-35 hours to complete. I never bought that insane 80 hours comment from Nomura.
2. I expected coliseum tournaments because even base KH2 had coliseum tournaments and even the bare bones JP version of KH1 had tournaments. BBS a freaking portable game had tournaments in the form of Mirage Arena. KH3 has no excuse for not having tournaments in Olympus.
3. Even base KH2 had a secret boss fight in the form of Sephiroth. I was at least expecting a Sephiroth boss fight and one other secret boss that would hint toward the next game in the same vein as Lingering Will, Xemnas, and Mysterious Figure. I also kind of expected a form of the Data Org. XIII for the Seekers of Darkness since that should have been an obvious carried over idea of KH2FM and it wouldn't be difficult to do since all you need to do is copy the boss fights with the Seekers of Darkness from the main story and just make them more difficult.
4. In regards to Final Fantasy characters, I really didn't care about getting new ones, but I did expect for years that Leon and the Gang would return in KH3. They have been absent from the series for so long and I along with a lot of other fans consider Leon and his group to almost be a part of the main cast. I mean if Sora and the other original heroes are the A-Team then Leon and his group are the B-Team. Not to mention Xehanort screwed up their lives too, and so they are as much a part of this saga as any other character and should have had their moment, even if it was brief, in the conclusion of this saga. I also believe that we should have gotten a resolution to the Cloud and Sephiroth subplot which was left open ended in KH2.
5. As for worlds, let me be clear, I understand that making the worlds larger and more detailed means that the number of worlds has to be reduced from what we had in KH2. I understand the quality over quantity argument. But from what I am seeing, the allocation of resources could have been done far better. I never expected KH3 to have less worlds that KH1 which had 13. I was expecting bare minimum KH3 would have 13 worlds. And not all of the worlds had to be massive.
I mean I wanted Radiant Garden and Destiny Islands to be included for story purposes (Since Radiant Garden has been so important to this saga and Destiny Islands is the home world of both our main hero and villain) but those worlds didn't have to be massive worlds like Twilight Town, they could have been more in scale to Mysterious Tower, but they just needed to have a presence in this game. I mean from a level design stand point Destiny Islands and Realm of Darkness could have been connected like how Twilight Town and Mysterious Tower are, considering that Sora is probably going to enter Realm of Darkness from Destiny Islands based on the cutscenes with him holding the Master Defender there. If you wanted to just include the castle portion from Radiant Garden and exclude the town, then I'm fine with them renaming the world Radiant Castle just for this game. Again these two didn't have to be massive worlds, they just needed to have a presence. Heck even Keyblade Graveyard can basically just be a small world where it's just a gauntlet of bosses, so long as Twilight Town and Scala ad Caelum were massive and highly explorable.
And finally 100 Acre Woods just didn't seem necessary this time around considering that in all of the trailers we saw Mini-Games being spread across many different worlds (Dancing game in Corona, Shield Surfing in Arendelle, the Ring Mini-Game in San Fransokyo, ect.) and you combine that with the Classic Kingdom stuff, and it just didn't seem necessary to have a world like 100 Acre Woods only dedicated to Mini-Games. If anything 100 Acre Woods should have been a DLC world.
Based on Nomura's comments from a while ago he talked about their being 3 sections of worlds, and he originally said Olympus, Toy Box, and Monstropolis (Although that seemed to have changed to Corona now) were in the first section of worlds, and I assumed Twilight Town was as well. So based on that comment I assumed that there was 3 sections with each section containing 3 Disney worlds and 1 original world and then the final world was included separate from the 3 sections, so in other words 13 worlds.
So dividing it to sections as per Nomura's comments, my expected world list for months has been:
1. Twilight Town / Mysterious Tower
3. Toy Box
5. Radiant Castle (Again small world, giving it a slightly different name since I would have been fine with just the castle being playable)
6. Kingdom of Corona
8. Agrabah (We got that art book leak a couple of months ago that showed a Fat Bandit looking Heartless, so I began assuming this would be a world).
9. Wild Jungle (Jungle Book, I figured after all the times it's been excluded that it would finally make it into this game)
10. The Caribbean
11. San Fransokyo
12. Destiny Islands / Realm of Darkness (From a level design standpoint I figured they would be connected like Twilight Town and Mysterious Tower. Again didn't expect this to be a large world)
13. Keyblade Graveyard / Scala ad Caelum (I'm guessing Keyblade Graveyard is transformed into Scala ad Caelum. After the reveal of Scala ad Caelum I figured Keyblade Graveyard would be small and mostly just a gauntlet of boss fights, where as Scala ad Caelum would be large and explorable).
So again I don't think based off of what I have stated my expectations for this game were too crazy. I think my expectations were perfectly reasonable