• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts 2.8 for Xbox One

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboticScalp

I'm not sure if it's been posted on this forum before, but i think it's a bit unwise, on Square's part, to release the prologue to III solely for the PS4.

Think about it: they intend to release III for both consoles, so why leave Xbox players in the dark when it comes to 2.8? I'm just ranting at this point, but in my humble opinion I think it'd be strange to alienate a whole demographic you intend to sell you games just like that.

What do you all think? Am I just crazy for feeling this way? I understand why they had 1.5 and 2.5 of the PS3, but I don't understand the logic behind 2.8's exclusive status. And for the record, I Don't own a ps4.

Last edited:

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
I think it was a bad idea in general to spread the entire series out on a total of... six, and soon to be eight, different consoles to begin with.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
probably because it'd take longer to develop for multiple consoles and they'd blow well past their schedule.

Muke

whatever
Awards
The only reason KH3 was announced for both consoles was that SE didn't want to risk selling exclusively to the PS4 which could have been the less popular console. If the PS4 was the less popular console then they would have fewer sales, or, at least, it would be expected. However, by choosing both they could ensure that they can fall back on the console that will maximise their sales provided that one of the consoles is less popular, ala the Xbox One.

Also remember licensing guys. The original DDD never came out on a Microsoft platform. No KH game has come out on a Microsoft platform, how would TWEWY and FF characters that only originally appeared on Sony and Nintendo Platforms be allowed to come to a Microsoft platform? It would be a licensing nightmare and would have delayed 1.5 and 2.5 which would've delayed KH3 as well as 2.8.

redcrown

Awards
I care more that they aren't releasing this game on the PS3. If they released the other remixes on the PS3, why not this one? Or better, release it on both PS3 and PS4.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I care more that they aren't releasing this game on the PS3. If they released the other remixes on the PS3, why not this one? Or better, release it on both PS3 and PS4.

because unreal engine 4 is too powerful for ps3.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Higher development costs I suppose? The consoles work with different engines after all.

I wonder about the topic though...I mean, where is the difference between 1.5 and 2.5 releasing on the PS3 only and 2.8 releasing on the PS4 only?
They're no "main titles" so I suppose it's not worth it for SE to release it on both consoles.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Also remember licensing guys. The original DDD never came out on a Microsoft platform. No KH game has come out on a Microsoft platform, how would TWEWY and FF characters that only originally appeared on Sony and Nintendo Platforms be allowed to come to a Microsoft platform? It would be a licensing nightmare and would have delayed 1.5 and 2.5 which would've delayed KH3 as well as 2.8.
Copyright doesn't really work that way. If Square owns the characters, then Square owns the characters. Period. The only thing that could make that tricky is exclusive distribution deals for the games, and even then, that's highly unlikely for this era. Joint ownership of characters with platforms only tends to work if the console's company developed the game.

The Playstation 3 can't handle it, and the PS3 will be a dead console very soon, there's no point.

Muke

whatever
Awards
Higher development costs I suppose? The consoles work with different engines after all.

I wonder about the topic, though...I mean, where is the difference between 1.5 and 2.5 releasing on the PS3 only and 2.8 releasing on the PS4 only?
They're no "main titles" so I suppose it's not worth it for SE to release it on both consoles.
I DO think you could call at least 2.8 a main title LOL. Like. Prologue of KHIII. The game set before KHIII. The game movie set millions of years before KH1...

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
We will see what happens, it'll feel really strange if that comes out on the XBOX1.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I DO think you could call at least 2.8 a main title LOL. Like. Prologue of KHIII. The game set before KHIII. The game movie set millions of years before KH1...

But then you could easily call BBS a main title as well which it isn't. Sure, they might be important to the story, but that's what games like BBS or 3D were as well. If it were a main title, they wouldn't shove it between KH2 and KH3 by calling it 2.8 imo.
And remember, it's "only" a movie, a short episode of Aqua which we probably already know parts of and 3D which wasn't exactly a main game either, right?

Then again, it just really depends on the definition of "main title". I just don't see any need to release a re-release (3D), a short episode (0.2) and a movie on different platforms.

redcrown

Awards
I really don't want to drop $500 just for a game console, I don't even have a PS3 yet. It'd be more convenient (for me) for this to be at least on the PS3, so I could get it along with the other remixes. Hopefully by the time KH3 comes out, the PS4 will be cheaper by then, and it will be a more justifiable buy.

Looking at PS4's now, they all have model variations and memory, I don't even know where to start, which would be best to play 2.8 and KH3 on. When did game consoles get so complicated? I feel so old.

Last edited:

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
I really don't want to drop $500 just for a game console, I don't even have a PS3 yet. It'd be more convenient (for me) for this to be at least on the PS3, so I could get it along with the other remixes. Hopefully by the time KH3 comes out, the PS4 will be cheaper by then, and it will be a more justifiable buy.

Looking at PS4's now, they all have model variations and memory, I don't even know where to start, which would be best to play 2.8 and KH3 on. When did game consoles get so complicated?

Well most of the PS4 variations are for bundles. The ones that typically have 1 TB of memory are the limited design consoles that come with the game that inspired the design, whereas the standard, and cheaper, PS4 comes with 500GB of memory and has the normal black color scheme. I got mine right around launch, so all they had was the standard PS4, and it's been working perfectly. I think they're running around $350 currently, which in my opinion is pretty good. When I get notified that I'm out of memory, I delete the install data for games I no longer play. It works like a charm, so if you're looking to save a little money and get a solid console that likely matches other electronic devices on your shelf (if you even care), then I would reccommend that.

Now development time and money are most definitely the top reasons why 2.8 is coming out only on PS4. It's estimated that the PS4 is also outselling the Xbox One by quite a large amount (I think it's somewhere roughly around 35 million units to 19 million units, if I remember correctly), so Square would want to sell their game on the best-selling platform if they had to pick one. Besides, the Kingdom Hearts series has been (MOSTLY) exclusive to PlayStation platforms since its inception, so at least Xbox owners will get to play 3. It's a start. 3 is most likely coming to both because of sales, and since they have the time to develop it, why not make it for both and get greater profit? That said, I wouldn't be surprised with a couple of PlayStation exclusive items on the PS4 version, such as an extra optional boss or an extra bit on the ending cutscene or something of that nature, but that's a different topic completely, as it doesn't pertain to 2.8 that much.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
But then you could easily call BBS a main title as well which it isn't. Sure, they might be important to the story, but that's what games like BBS or 3D were as well. If it were a main title, they wouldn't shove it between KH2 and KH3 by calling it 2.8 imo.
And remember, it's "only" a movie, a short episode of Aqua which we probably already know parts of and 3D which wasn't exactly a main game either, right?

Then again, it just really depends on the definition of "main title". I just don't see any need to release a re-release (3D), a short episode (0.2) and a movie on different platforms.

Except Nomura has repeatedly called BBS a main title and I think he said 3D was on par with that? If the game has an FM opening, then yeah it's a big deal. I stick with Nomura, the main installments of the games are BBS, 1, 2, 3D and 3.

Muke

whatever
Awards
Except Nomura has repeatedly called BBS a main title and I think he said 3D was on par with that? If the game has an FM opening, then yeah it's a big deal. I stick with Nomura, the main installments of the games are BBS, 1, 2, 3D and 3.

^ This.
It's been stated many times that BbS and DDD are main installments as well. So, imo, you could call 2.8 a main title, too.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Looking at PS4's now, they all have model variations and memory, I don't even know where to start, which would be best to play 2.8 and KH3 on. When did game consoles get so complicated? I feel so old.

You had to buy consoles before to play games and many were in the same price range before. Why is buying a PS4 a sudden hurdle? It's the current generation console. Technological process does not stop because people want to cling to dead 10 year old consoles. This is year 3 of the PS4 at that. It's time to give up complaining.

Finding the console you want is very easy too. 500GB or 1TB. Do you want to spend less or have more storage space?

All that is left after that is to pick a bundle with games and design you are interested in or get the standard PS4.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
One: the PS4 is only around $300 here in the states. I mean, it was only $400 at launch, $100 cheaper than the Xbox One was before they threw out the Kinect. Also, Rent-to-Own and such have deals where you can pay small amounts over a long period of time for it.

Two: 2.8 is on PS4 and not PS3 because the 0.2: A Fragmentary Passage part will be using the same Unreal Engine 4 as KH3. Which the PS3 cannot run.

The PS3? People may love it but it is time to move on. The world is going at it's pace and holding back for people clinging to old consoles? That's never going to happen.

Meanwhile the Xbox One is doing half the sales of the PS4. I wouldn't be surprised if the Xbox One version wasn't happening anymore. Honestly I was confused it was even getting it in the first place. The only thing that would do would be to onfuse the hell put of Xbox players who haven't played the other games.

redcrown

Awards
You had to buy consoles before to play games and many were in the same price range before. Why is buying a PS4 a sudden hurdle? It's the current generation console. Technological process does not stop because people want to cling to dead 10 year old consoles. This is year 3 of the PS4 at that. It's time to give up complaining.

Finding the console you want is very easy too. 500GB or 1TB. Do you want to spend less or have more storage space?

All that is left after that is to pick a bundle with games and design you are interested in or get the standard PS4.

When I got the PS2 it was around $250 (since it had been out for a few years already), games were also around $20. Backwards compatibility is a nice gesture/pat on the back for dropping a ton of money on a console, but greed will always live on. Why am I not allowed to complain? I don't really consider 4 years that old for a console. Why not make it backwards compatible? They were nice enough to do for the PS2.

I didn't see it for $200-$300 before, but I'll take your guys' word on it and search more.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
When I got the PS2 it was around $250 (since it had been out for a few years already), games were also around $20. Backwards compatibility is a nice gesture/pat on the back for dropping a ton of money on a console, but greed will always live on. Why am I not allowed to complain? I don't really consider 4 years that old for a console. Why not make it backwards compatible? They were nice enough to do for the PS2.

I didn't see it for $200-$300 before, but I'll take your guys' word on it and search more.

If the industry gets what it wants, the lifespan of home consoles will be much shorter than they were in the past. 4 years isn't old, but the PS3's hardware is definitely a grandpa at this point considering how far technology has advanced since 2004/5 when they were creating the PS3, so it is either move on to new tech or never get to the play the new stuff that interests you.

You'll find good deals around the holiday season for the PS4. $399 can net you a 500GB console + 2-4 games either bundled or at your choice. Also you can find random sales on Groupon or at Frys. SlickDeals will also have a list of good deals.

It's not really about them being nice (they want our money first and foremost) but a problem with compatibility with the hardware. It is just too expensive to put that hardware in the PS4. PS2 games and PS3 games being made the way they were fucked Sony over. Alas, that is why PSNow exists. You can emulate the games they have any time you want for a monthly subscription fee, and Sony is currently working with developers to port PS2 classics to the PS4 so it isn't like they aren't trying to make games accessible. (They just want our money)

I feel the same in that it is pretty ridiculous that they didn't make it possible for there to be backwards compatibility because there are ways to do it, but I don't think it is such a deal breaker considering the PS4 is an amazing piece of hardware on its own with a bunch of really fun games already our and coming to the system in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back