• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KH2 Mickey Joins Disney Infinity, Sora's Keyblade is 3.0's Ultimate Unlock

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Re: KH2 Mickey Joins Disney Infinity, Sora's Keyblade is 3.0's Ultimate Unlock

I just want to know... who the hell is desperate enough to shell out over 100 dollars just for a friggin' in-game costume? It's not even a physical figurine, just a bit of data. I'll never understand...

Yeah I don't think it's fair to judge what people will pay for things. If people are willing to shell that much out for it, power to them (not power to the people scalping though). Perhaps it's because I'm one of them, I will admit, I paid a hefty price for mine (not 3-digits, thankfully not near that much) and since I have no plans of even getting Disney Infinity, one can say I just paid that price for a piece of plastic with a Mickey image and the KH symbol on it. For me though, it's the meaning of having the first piece of Kingdom Hearts inclusion in Disney Infinity and I'm gonna shelf that thing mint forever cause I love the idea of that :D

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards

Yeah I don't think it's fair to judge what people will pay for things. If people are willing to shell that much out for it, power to them (not power to the people scalping though). Perhaps it's because I'm one of them, I will admit, I paid a hefty price for mine (not 3-digits, thankfully not near that much) and since I have no plans of even getting Disney Infinity, one can say I just paid that price for a piece of plastic with a Mickey image and the KH symbol on it. For me though, it's the meaning of having the first piece of Kingdom Hearts inclusion in Disney Infinity and I'm gonna shelf that thing mint forever cause I love the idea of that :D

Yup, I'm one of those people too. Buy stuff for its intrinsic meaning to you, but have no intentions of ever doing anything with it, so you essentially spend what most consider ridiculous money to have a little trinket sit in in its package on a shelf and people say you're wasting money, and I see why they think so, but they don't understand the feels attached to getting these kinds of things.

I'm not getting that Disney Infinity thing, but the scenario of me spending a large amount of money on something I intend to do nothing with except occasionally hold/stare at it has definitely happened multiple times before.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Updated the OP with some info from ComicBook.com, who interviewed VP of Production, John Vignocchi. Here's the original quote from their article:

In addition to the Keyblade, and perhaps a sign of things to come, Disney Interactive gave out special costume change discs for their new Mickey character figure, which transform him into King Mickey from Kingdom Hearts, complete with custom animations and a Keyblade of his own.

"We made these only for the D23 Expo crowd. We will never make these costume change discs again. All the animations are from the game, it is so cool," Vignocchi said.

Kingdom Hearts is one of the most requested properties for Disney Infinity, and they wanted to deliver, and planned out for quite awhile.

"Everyone keeps asking me about Kingdom Hearts. I've been alluding to a passion project that I've been working on for some time, and that's what this is. We have had this planned out for about 8 months, with a lot of back and forth with our partners at Square-Enix," Vignocchi said, meaning they've been planning this for about 6 months prior to really getting questions about the products having a merger of sorts. "A lot of people are confused about who exactly owns Kingdom Hearts, but it's Disney - it's developed in partnership with Square-Enix."

When he approached those developers, he made sure to make this content that was "respectful to the brand." The hope? Well, of course it's to do more with the two. "Hopefully this leads to us doing more. We've had a lot of fun doing it, and I love Kingdom Hearts, so that's the goal."

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards

They may not release this particular disc but Mickey's got more than 1 KH outfit (including most likely a new 1 in KH3) so a new King Mickey figure with a different outfit & KKD/Starseeker keyblade is certainly possible in the future.

EDIT: Based on my experiences with the past ultimate unlocks, it may only require the 3.0 figures specifically to unlock. gathering the 1.0 & 2.0 figures would only be needed to re-unlock their respective year's UU.

Last edited:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Video of King Mickey in action

[video=youtube;uSRxaeuMmh0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRxaeuMmh0[/video]

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards

Video of King Mickey in action

[video=youtube;uSRxaeuMmh0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRxaeuMmh0[/video]

Adorably awesome.

25 characters

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards

Random triva: Aside from the GBA CoM on a Gamecube's Game Boy Player, DI 3.0 Wii U version marks the 1st presence of KH anything on a Nintendo home console.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com

^Interesting tidbit.

Although it certainly is great to see more recognition by Disney for the KH brand, this doesn't merit starting an investment in DI for me personally. Perhaps if there is a sizable KH cast in the future, but for now it's a novelty I can do without.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

So damn happy he said Kingdom Hearts is Disney's.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards

Yeah he took care of the doubters with that statement and I'm glad I hope this opens Disney to add kh stuff at Disney parks

Llexica

Yeah he took care of the doubters with that statement and I'm glad I hope this opens Disney to add kh stuff at Disney parks
I think I'd lose it and scream my head off if I saw Mickey, Donald and Goofy in KH gear walking around Disneyland somewhere!! Gah!

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I think I'd lose it and scream my head off if I saw Mickey, Donald and Goofy in KH gear walking around Disneyland somewhere!! Gah!

They used to have Sora, Donald, and Goofy in the parks back in 2002-3. The costumes are still in the costume storage room, too.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards

I've always been confused by this, though. Isn't Kingdom Hearts technically a Square property, but they're partnered with Disney? Or do they each own like half of the license to it?

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards

I've always been confused by this, though. Isn't Kingdom Hearts technically a Square property, but they're partnered with Disney? Or do they each own like half of the license to it?

I'm thinking that all the KH-related stuff outside of the games is mostly Disney's domain. Non-video game merchandise that I've been able to find usually has a big ol' DISNEY printed on it somewhere. SE is usually found in the Kingdom Hearts logo on something like the packaging.

Can't say that I'm surprised, though. Disney owns pretty much everything now, so it's only natural that a video game that actually has a lot of classic Disney material should be Disney property, including the Keyblades, spiky-haired heroes, evil creeps in coats and everything else Square Enix invented.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards

Sora and other original characters belong to Disney. Case and point V Cast.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards

Sora and other original characters belong to Disney. Case and point V Cast.

Ha... some things are best left forgotten, but yeah. There's that too.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards

Square developed it because they have a licensing deal with Disney. The game, without the original aspects, is still mostly Disney. There's no way Disney wouldn't walk away with the entire IP. Besides, Disney approached Square to do it. In a lot of ways, this is a giant friendly commission.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com

Disney owns the entire franchise, including all original aspects (Sora, Xehanort, etc are all Disney characters for example). However they clearly have a good working relationship with each other that neither party wants to upset which is why they would work with S-E on something like this, but technically, Disney can do whatever they want with the IP.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards

Why is it that most/all of the Kingdom Hearts merchandise you can find is available through Square Enix shops, instead of Disney? Or is that another licensing thing?

Also, I thought that according to that famous elevator story, Square had the idea for KH in its earliest concept and then it was brought up to a Disney executive in the elevator, meaning it was conceptualized by Square, right?

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards

Also, I thought that according to that famous elevator story, Square had the idea for KH in its earliest concept and then it was brought up to a Disney executive in the elevator, meaning it was conceptualized by Square, right?

Eh, from what I've heard, there are several different accounts on how the earliest stage of KH came to be. Some involve an elevator, others include both Disney and SE staff, some have Nomura overhearing a conversation about Mickey Mouse... and I don't know which one actually happened.

And if Disney World wants to raise KH awareness, the best thing they can do... is sell sea-salt ice cream. Okay, maybe not the "best," but it would make me an incredibly happy fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back