• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KH Novel Translations - Official Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwise

Re: Axel--Seven Days Game Novel translation

Thanks ^^ reading comments makes it worth it!

I'm quite sure if it was the day after... I'm not sure how much time is supposed to have elapsed between each 'scene', and when it says 'that day', it could just mean, 'on this particular day'...

"Fragments"... I have no idea, (and neither does Luxord). The annoying thing is, i don't actually know whether it should be translated as 'the worlds' or 'the world'. So it could either mean the worlds are moving and their world is a fragment, or the fragment of the world they live on is moving.

Zexion's word was another hard to translate one... it could just as easily mean 'suspicious' as cunning. So, maybe he doesn't suspect them of having done something, but is commenting on the likelihood of them doing something...?

"I'm not interested in that game"... yeah, I was getting 'Xigbar is a pimp' vibes from that whole conversation, what with Axel peering up into his face, and Luxord tilting his head to one side.... XD

Ahh, sorry for not getting back t'ya. DX

Oh, okay, that makes more sense. So, the next scene doesn't necessarily continue from the first? That seems more consistent with the other chapters and their scenes (is that how it works?), from what little I've seen.

So the noun could be either singular or plural, and the problem is grammatical? That's frustrating when it happens. DX I studied Latin a long time ago, and I had that problem all the time.

Huh. Wonder if the author used that word intentionally, then. I'd understand why Larxene and Axel would look weird, but I wonder what Marluxia's done at this point to earn suspicion? I mean, he even quoted Xemnas word-for-word, so he doesn't seem to be thinking mutiny at that point. Maybe it's just because he was new? But then, why not Luxord or Demyx?

XD Why I love Kingdom Hearts, right there.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Ahh, sorry for not getting back t'ya. DX

That's ok! ^_^

So, the next scene doesn't necessarily continue from the first? That seems more consistent with the other chapters and their scenes (is that how it works?), from what little I've seen.

Yeah, that's right. I do think they are in chronological order, though. So, some of the scenes sort of tie in (like, Larxene being on the prowl for a bitch XD). And then, some might actually be continuous. After Roxas is found and named, we get the scene of Axel going to Twilight town. I'm pretty sure I've heard somewhere that it's Axel who finds Roxas on the clock tower and gets him to join the organisation, after Roxas has run away from Xemnas. I have no idea if that's true, though.

So the noun could be either singular or plural, and the problem is grammatical? That's frustrating when it happens. DX I studied Latin a long time ago, and I had that problem all the time.

I love the fact that Japanese has no plural forms, because it's much easier to learn. But I hate translating it, when the context makes it vague. I guess, Japanese people themselves wouldn't know either and it would be more mysterious and add tension, but I don't have room to do that with the English. I really wanted to put up 'translation notes', but I was afraid they'd end up longer than the chapter and be tedious and no one would really care.

Huh. Wonder if the author used that word intentionally, then. I'd understand why Larxene and Axel would look weird, but I wonder what Marluxia's done at this point to earn suspicion? I mean, he even quoted Xemnas word-for-word, so he doesn't seem to be thinking mutiny at that point. Maybe it's just because he was new? But then, why not Luxord or Demyx?

To me, it highlighted how untrusting and divided the original six members are with the new members. Then, it could be just Zexion. I translated a magazine scan that had a character bio of Marluxia on it, and it said that 'even though he is new to the organisation, he is highly proud'. Someone with so much pride might hate being 12th in line, and might want to shake up the order. Which Zexion, being a strategist, would pick up on.

As for Luxord, it showed him being properly polite to Xigbar, so he might not seem like a threat to the order. Plus, he wasn't going to be in Castle Oblivion so it didn't open that chance for dialog. Demyx? He's played off as a comic relief character, so Zexion might not see him as 'cunning' or 'suspicious'. And again, he's not going to Castle Oblivion.

Everyone's forms of speech is something else I could ramble on forever and a day~

XD Why I love Kingdom Hearts, right there.

Orgy XIII ftw ;D

Silent hero_

Awards

Thank you Goldpanner for these translations, you rock! So, uh, are you going to translate the scans where Marluxia is featured?

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Thank you Goldpanner for these translations, you rock! So, uh, are you going to translate the scans where Marluxia is featured?

Thankyou for reading them :D I translated the scans for bittermeat/Olivia over at HEARTSTATION.ORG, and I emailed them to her to make look pretty. But, she hasn't answered my emails for a few days, and she might be busy or something. If you keep an eye on heartstation, they might appear there sometime.

Kiwise

Yeah, that's right. I do think they are in chronological order, though. So, some of the scenes sort of tie in (like, Larxene being on the prowl for a bitch XD). And then, some might actually be continuous. After Roxas is found and named, we get the scene of Axel going to Twilight town. I'm pretty sure I've heard somewhere that it's Axel who finds Roxas on the clock tower and gets him to join the organisation, after Roxas has run away from Xemnas. I have no idea if that's true, though.

Yeah, I think they're in chronological order. =0 I didn't know about that. That's awesome. If it's true, it answers one question I had. Where'd you hear about it?

I love the fact that Japanese has no plural forms, because it's much easier to learn. But I hate translating it, when the context makes it vague. I guess, Japanese people themselves wouldn't know either and it would be more mysterious and add tension, but I don't have room to do that with the English. I really wanted to put up 'translation notes', but I was afraid they'd end up longer than the chapter and be tedious and no one would really care.

Japanese sounds more and more fun to learn the more I find out about it. That's really interesting, it's like a sense of mystery embedded into the grammar of the language. Or something like that. XP

I personally love translation notes, because then I find out more about the language and I know a little more about how literal the translation is. I think they're a lot of fun. If you wanna do it, maybe instead of at the end of the chapters, in a separate entry altogether?

To me, it highlighted how untrusting and divided the original six members are with the new members. Then, it could be just Zexion. I translated a magazine scan that had a character bio of Marluxia on it, and it said that 'even though he is new to the organisation, he is highly proud'. Someone with so much pride might hate being 12th in line, and might want to shake up the order. Which Zexion, being a strategist, would pick up on.

As for Luxord, it showed him being properly polite to Xigbar, so he might not seem like a threat to the order. Plus, he wasn't going to be in Castle Oblivion so it didn't open that chance for dialog. Demyx? He's played off as a comic relief character, so Zexion might not see him as 'cunning' or 'suspicious'. And again, he's not going to Castle Oblivion.

Everyone's forms of speech is something else I could ramble on forever and a day~

I see, that'd explain it, then. Interesting.

I'd love to hear about their different speech patterns. <3

Awards

So, uh.

Axel said:
Roxas gripped a keyblade in each hand.

I think I've seen one of those keyblades somewhere before. But, I can't remember.

He seemed to be remembering something--but, as if shaking that off, Axel flashed a grin.

What?

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

So, uh. What?

Is it the subject matter, or wanky phrasing on my part that makes you go 'what'? DX

If it's the subject matter:
I was surprised too. It had to re-check and re-check that I was translating that part right, because surely Axel would know Roxas' signature blades?? But, maybe it means that Roxas hadn't used those keyblades in front of Axel before. Maybe even that Roxas used them for the first time in front of Riku? In the manga, he's shown using them in flashbacks, but I'm pretty sure the manga isn't to be taken as canon. Maybe it will be explained in Days?

If it's my bad wording confusing you:
Axel was on the verge of remembering where Roxas' extra keyblade came from, but decided to not worry about it.

kiwise said:
=0 I didn't know about that. That's awesome. If it's true, it answers one question I had. Where'd you hear about it?

I remembered! It was on Axel's page on the Kingdom Hearts wikia. But I had a look and it's been changed now, so it was probably just someone making stuff up. It said something like, Roxas ran away from Xemnas, and he observed Hayner, Pence and Olette, and then he ended up on the clock tower by himself. Axel found him there and got him to come to the organisation. I thought it made sense because I always wondered why there was that scene on the dark beach if he already got recruited by Xemnas in Twilight Town. And, I do know that Axel met Roxas on the clock tower in Twilight Town on 'the day Roxas got his new name' i.e. was found by Xemnas, because it says so at the end of Chpt 5: Last Minute to the Castle Oblivion. Guess we'll just have to wait for Days... good thing it comes out this month!! <3

I personally love translation notes, because then I find out more about the language and I know a little more about how literal the translation is. I think they're a lot of fun. If you wanna do it, maybe instead of at the end of the chapters, in a separate entry altogether?

Okay, when I'm on top of study, I'll put something together and post it in a separate post on my LJ. Good idea! Thanks! :D

Awards

Is it the subject matter, or wanky phrasing on my part that makes you go 'what'? DX

If it's the subject matter:
I was surprised too. It had to re-check and re-check that I was translating that part right, because surely Axel would know Roxas' signature blades?? But, maybe it means that Roxas hadn't used those keyblades in front of Axel before. Maybe even that Roxas used them for the first time in front of Riku? In the manga, he's shown using them in flashbacks, but I'm pretty sure the manga isn't to be taken as canon. Maybe it will be explained in Days?

If it's my bad wording confusing you:
Axel was on the verge of remembering where Roxas' extra keyblade came from, but decided to not worry about it.

Oh, it's got nothing to do with your translations, they're fabulous.

It just puzzles me.
Now, honestly, if Axel did in fact see Roxas duel wield, I don't think he'd have difficulty remembering (unless there is something interfering with the memory, but I doubt that).

Roxas Somewhere in Time said:
Roxas and Axel walked through the castle that was falling into ruin.

“I wonder what there is around here.”

At that moment, there was a sudden change in the surrounding atmosphere.

“…Heartless.”

Two Keyblades appeared in Roxas’ hands. As if interpreting it as a signal, Heartless surrounded them.

And yet they've been making it sound as if Axel has never seen Roxas dual wield before.
More importantly, though, is the question of why Axel identifies only one of the Keyblades as familiar. Oathkeeper or Oblivion? I don't recall any instance where he had encountered either of them (if, that is, Roxas' Dual Wielding in Somewhere in Time is non-canon).

Organization_42

Proud Demyx/Kairi Shipper
Awards

I can't figure it out either. Originally I just assumed that he was surprised because up until that point, Roxas had seemed to have forgotten his old powers completely, so Axel wasn't expecting him to remember how to Dual-Wield. But this new translation of his thoughts has thrown me off yet again! Curse you Axel!!

I remembered! It was on Axel's page on the Kingdom Hearts wikia. But I had a look and it's been changed now, so it was probably just someone making stuff up. It said something like, Roxas ran away from Xemnas, and he observed Hayner, Pence and Olette, and then he ended up on the clock tower by himself. Axel found him there and got him to come to the organisation. I thought it made sense because I always wondered why there was that scene on the dark beach if he already got recruited by Xemnas in Twilight Town. And, I do know that Axel met Roxas on the clock tower in Twilight Town on 'the day Roxas got his new name' i.e. was found by Xemnas, because it says so at the end of Chpt 5: Last Minute to the Castle Oblivion. Guess we'll just have to wait for Days... good thing it comes out this month!! <3

I saw that too, and at first I couldn't imagine where it had come from, but I'm guessing it's a scene in the manga. That would make it non-canon if that were true.

All we know is that Roxas definitely met Xemnas and Axel on the day he was born in Twilight Town, that Axel was assigned to look after him, and that they got ice cream together. Actually, in one of the Nomura interviews, he said that what happened was this: Axel had just gotten the assignment and he and Roxas were in Twilight Town, when Roxas noticed Hayner, Pence, and Olette eating ice-cream together (which we also saw in the credits of Reverse/Rebirth). Roxas was jealous because he wanted friends too, and Axel, seeing that he was unhappy, misread the problem and decided that what Roxas really wanted was ice-cream. So he took him to get ice-cream.

I'v always found that funny and ironic because even though Axel completely misread what Roxas wanted, he indirectly ended up giving Roxas what he really wanted anyway, which was friendship.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Oh, it's got nothing to do with your translations, they're fabulous.
It just puzzles me.
Now, honestly, if Axel did in fact see Roxas duel wield, I don't think he'd have difficulty remembering (unless there is something interfering with the memory, but I doubt that).
And yet they've been making it sound as if Axel has never seen Roxas dual wield before.
More importantly, though, is the question of why Axel identifies only one of the Keyblades as familiar. Oathkeeper or Oblivion? I don't recall any instance where he had encountered either of them (if, that is, Roxas' Dual Wielding in Somewhere in Time is non-canon).

I'm glad my wording is okay ^_^ I always have to do a final check for where getting caught up in the correctness of the literal translations, I sacrificed making sense... -_-;

The way the sentence in the novel was phrased, it seems as if Axel was refering to whichever keyblade appeared second, or the one which appeared in his other hand. It will probably be explained in Days... (or by watching the scene again on khvids, but I'm not supposed to watch long youtube videos. Then they make me pay the internet bills T^T)

Holy crap, I'd never read Somewhere in Time before. Yay for google! And this site has the original Japanese!! ...have... to do... homework... DDDD:

EDIT: Sorry, Organization_42, I didn't see your post somehow o_O
...You said what I said before I said it in better words XD

I can't figure it out either. Originally I just assumed that he was surprised because up until that point, Roxas had seemed to have forgotten his old powers completely, so Axel wasn't expecting him to remember how to Dual-Wield.

^^^That's what I still think. Maybe Roxas could dual-wield, but had never used Oathkeeper&/Oblivion in front of Axel.

I couldn't imagine where it had come from, but I'm guessing it's a scene in the manga.

Axel and Roxas meeting is not in the manga, or at least in volumes 1-4, cause I just went and looked at them to check.

All we know is that Roxas definitely met Xemnas and Axel on the day he was born in Twilight Town, that Axel was assigned to look after him, and that they got ice cream together. Actually, in one of the Nomura interviews, he said that what happened was this: Axel had just gotten the assignment and he and Roxas were in Twilight Town, when Roxas noticed Hayner, Pence, and Olette eating ice-cream together (which we also saw in the credits of Reverse/Rebirth). Roxas was jealous because he wanted friends too, and Axel, seeing that he was unhappy, misread the problem and decided that what Roxas really wanted was ice-cream. So he took him to get ice-cream.

I've always found that funny and ironic because even though Axel completely misread what Roxas wanted, he indirectly ended up giving Roxas what he really wanted anyway, which was friendship.

*__* Aww. According to Chapter 5, Axel had already been eating seasalt icecream alone before he knew Roxas, too. That icecream has so many layers.... <3

Last edited:

Jojo

uh my first time at KH insider... i now im puting this in the whong place or do ing something whong..
i...i...im in Love!...(no, stop! no tears) PLASE i want buy Axel--Seven Days but i want to know, before i do is if regardless that the books are called Novels, are they in a manga/comic format? in otherwords if i dint know a WORD of Japanese could i flip through it and fallow the pictuers?

Kiwise

I've never heard anything about that, but it makes sense. But I saw something in another thread here that made reference to it. That seems weird. Guess we'll find out for sure soon enough, though. <3

Heard somewhere that the scene on the beach didn't really happen. Something like "the scene was just a representation of what Roxas was thinking and feeling about the whole deal." I think whoever said that said it was originally in an interview, but I don't know.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

uh my first time at KH insider... i now im puting this in the whong place or do ing something whong..
i...i...im in Love!...(no, stop! no tears) PLASE i want buy Axel--Seven Days but i want to know, before i do is if regardless that the books are called Novels, are they in a manga/comic format? in otherwords if i dint know a WORD of Japanese could i flip through it and fallow the pictuers?

Welcome to the forums ^_^
Sorry darl, but your sweetheart is a real novel. It has some illustrations, but only one per chapter, and the rest is just Japanese text in vertical columns from right to left. No reason why you can't make it your goal to learn Japanese, though! You might feel think it'd take too long, but I'm only seventeen (okay, almost eighteen). If it's your love, it's worth it. I certainly think so.
...or were you saying you're in love with me? BD

kiwise said:
I've never heard anything about that, but it makes sense. But I saw something in another thread here that made reference to it. That seems weird. Guess we'll find out for sure soon enough, though. <3

Hahaha maybe they read the same lie I did! Or maybe it's true. Can't wait for Days to come out~ *__* omg omg it's this month!! Even if I won't actually be able to get my hands on it for a while...

kiwise said:
Heard somewhere that the scene on the beach didn't really happen. Something like "the scene was just a representation of what Roxas was thinking and feeling about the whole deal." I think whoever said that said it was originally in an interview, but I don't know.

Really? That'd make sense... but it also makes you wonder. Why did Roxas imagine the same beach that Sora and Riku actually end up on? Hm...

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Silent hero_ said:
So, are you planning to get the japanese version of days?

Yeah ^_^ I'm gonna get two copies so i can play multiplayer with my brother. It's gonna be so awesome. I thought, 'why not. I've studied Japanese pretty hard, I can do it!'

Jojo

Thanks! nice japanes reading! vary good! (my japanese class all we EVER do is watch totoro then out of the blue KANJI test!! good person, bad teacher)
buy "Days" even if youre unsure of reading it. i bought Finalmix and i played though it by trial and error. Re:COM was no sweat even with a bunch of card combos and stuff. And i dont really know japanes! that's saying alot.
P.S

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Two Keyblades appeared in Roxas’ hands. As if interpreting it as a signal, Heartless surrounded them.

Upon reading scans of the original Japanese, I've discovered that it does not in fact say he wields two keyblades. Sure, in Japanese it could be taken either way since they don't necessarily have to use a plural, but there are ways to say 'two keyblades' or 'both hands' and they don't specify this at all.

That translation is pretty inaccurate. I've found heaps of things I don't agree with.

So, maybe Roxas never did dual wield in front of Axel after all.

Last edited:

KeybladeK 35

Yeah ^_^ I'm gonna get two copies so i can play multiplayer with my brother. It's gonna be so awesome. I thought, 'why not. I've studied Japanese pretty hard, I can do it!'

SWEET!!! Your so lucky, I unfortunately have no money and I do not understand Japanese ( I'm trying too, but it's pretty hard >_< )

Anyways, hope you do translations from the game when you get it, that will be cool :36:

Silent hero_

Awards

Okay, I too will get it. I can't read japanese, but Bittermeat said she's gonna have a playthrough of Days when she gets her own copy, so, I'm relying on her ^^ And by the way, I don't think it's necessary to get two copies. I think you'll just need one copy to play multiplayer, tough it haven't been confirmed yet.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

KeybladeK 35 said:
SWEET!!! Your so lucky, I unfortunately have no money and I do not understand Japanese ( I'm trying too, but it's pretty hard >_< )

Anyways, hope you do translations from the game when you get it, that will be cool :36:

Keep working at Japanese! You'll never be worse off from knowing a second language.

Okay, I too will get it. I can't read japanese, but Bittermeat said she's gonna have a playthrough of Days when she gets her own copy, so, I'm relying on her ^^ And by the way, I don't think it's necessary to get two copies. I think you'll just need one copy to play multiplayer, tough it haven't been confirmed yet.

Bittermeat and me are working together now ;D I'll probably be helping out with those translations!

One copy to play multiplayer? Hm. Pokemon can't do that XD Is that really possible? It'd make it a HEAP cheaper though~

Aaanyway this isn't really following the 'Novel Translation' subject of this thread so let's go back on track >.>

See: http://gold-panner.livejournal.com/4181.html#cutid1 for my re-translation of Another Report: Roxas--Somewhere in Time. This story is so awesome, I was having fangirl fits the whole time. I love the organisation <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back