• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Editorial ► Kairi: The True Forgotten Girl in Kingdom Hearts

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutsceneaddict

Really insightful and well-written article. Thank you for sharing!

I think that Kairi has a lot of potential as a character, and you made several excellent points concerning such. If nothing else, the ending of Dream Drop Distance is proof that Nomura hasn't forgotten the 7th Princess of Heart (and that he's been eves-dropping on the fans as well). I'm hoping for a big twist that will put Kairi more in the spotlight. As Kingdom Hearts 3 will conclude the Xehanort Saga, I believe we'll be seeing a lot of relationship development between Sora and Kairi. The endings of Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 have certainly dropped enough hints at that. I doubt that it will expand into a full-blown romance (as Kingdom Hearts doesn't touch much on that), but there will be some warm, subtle moments between them none-the-less.

So here's to KH3's quick announcement, here's to more Kairi, and here's to a great editorial.

Cheers!

Last edited:

IhaveNodody

You say it's too late to recover her character in Kingdom Hearts III,but you have to remember that some people never played any of the side games like Kingdom Hearts:Birth by Sleep or Kingdom Hearts:Chain of Memories.For those people that never played these side games there would be a chance.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
You say it's too late to recover her character in Kingdom Hearts III,but you have to remember that some people never played any of the side games like Kingdom Hearts:Birth by Sleep or Kingdom Hearts:Chain of Memories.For those people that never played these side games there would be a chance.
KH3 will be so confusing for them that Kairi will be the least of their concerns.

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I strongly diagree with the editorial and agree with som of the people. Kairi hasn't been forgotten, but you can't force her into places she doesn't belong: Days, BBS, Re:Coded, and the story of DDD except the S.Ending. This is coming from a future writer, but if you want your favorite character iin the story, it's important to understand how others will feel, the non-SoKai shippers don't want any fluff in their story and it's all about waiting. If you take BBS, Days, and Re:Coded and refer them as 'side games', then Kairi has at least played at part in 1, 2, and seems to have a future in DDD.

Ask your heart, do you want Kairi forced down your throats or do you want it take it slow?

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
i have a feeling that for the first half of kh3, kairi will be training and for the second half, she will join sora. i really want to see their relationship develop.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Kairi wouldn't have been forced if the writers knew how to incorporate her into the plot properly. As it stands, they clearly don't.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
@Ruran: I do agree with and can understand all of your posts, but at the same time… though stuffing Kairi down people’s throats, and whatnot could get annoying, at least we’d still know that Sora and Riku still cared about Kairi that way. A lot of fans are starting to feel like they don’t, seeing as how she’s not in the games anymore (sometimes for silly reasons like the one Nomura gave for Re:Coded), no one even thinks of her anymore, and we haven’t seen her in seven years. So while I don’t think they should overdue it, something of her every now and then would be nice.

@Sephiroth0812 Sorry to confusing you about what I said. I just thought that if Kairi had been there, it would have made things a lot more emotional somehow. Not only has Kairi not seen as much of “war” as the others (so she might have had fresh feelings, and had been freaking out a bit), but also it might have jumpstarted her want to get stronger and protect her friends, etc. I can get why you’d think it would have made no sense, and would have been unneeded, but do you kind of get where I’m coming from? We’ve seen Sora in bad states with MDG and Riku all the time (and seen him get better afterwards), but with Kairi… it would have been something somewhat new and other.

@TwilitSoldier It’s looking like she might be playable in III, though (she’ll at least have character development in it). And honestly, if Kairi was developed—and her relationships with people developed—it could make the emotions more real and tense at times, like you want. The fact is, Kairi’s supposed to be important (and thus she’s not going anywhere anytime soon), it’s the fact they haven’t given her more dimensions that’s the problem. When they do, she won’t be “useless” anymore, but perhaps a badass female. Actually, IN developing her, they’ll probably give you just what you actually seem to want, so…

Also, they’ll never remove Disney from KH. The crossover is what KH is. And you do know that Final Fantasy has a TON of epic, and even somewhat cheesy romances, right? They even go into it more there than in KH! Cecil/Rosa, Cloud/Tifa and/or Cloud/Aerith, Squall/Rinoa, Zidane/Dagger, Tidus/Yuna, Vaan/Penelo (in Revenant Wings), Snow/Serah, Noctis/Stella when Versus comes out, etc. If you think the Final Fantasy games are great, “dark” and where you want KH to go… shouldn’t this prove Square knows how to handle romance in games, without disrupting the feelings you want in it?

@Kenzichi – You are probably right, and it probably made more sense that way, but what can I say? I’m a sucker for parallels. I think Sora thinking of Kairi would have been a cool tieback to when he thought of Kairi as a Heartless. And since this was the ten-year anniversary game and whatnot, I thought it would have been a good way to “include” her.

And as for your other point… I suppose that when I always played KHI, it seemed to me as though they were trying to make Kairi the balance between Sora and Riku. I thought that they were hinting that since Sora and Riku’s rivalry was so strong, Kairi would be the one to make them not kill each other in their sparring sessions and stuff. And she also sort of did seem like the leader, as both boys were trying to impress her, she told them what supplies to gather, etc. But I might have been wrong. And even if it had been true once, it’s certainly changed now.

@WaveK89 – You know, Wave. I actually think Kairi’s Princess of Heart status would be a neat thing they could explore. What are the limitations of it, what can PoH do exactly? Seeing as how important the Princesses are now—and that KH is over saturated with Keyblades lately—this could be a nice change.

Personally, I’ve always liked that Kairi has so much bite to her words. They could have easily made her a “perfect princess”, but they didn’t. I think it would be cool (and even somewhat needed) to know what it means to “have a heart of Pure Light.” There are so many cool things about Kairi, and things that could be told; they just need to do it: like the time Xehanort sent her to the Islands, the fact she’s a Light and one of the Seven Pure Lights both, that she sometimes seems to have a bit of clairvoyance, etc.

@Oathkeeperriku09: I do get where you’re coming from, and I agree with you on all of your points except one: People who don’t want Kairi in it (or SoKai), because it gets in the way of “their want for KH” can suck it. I’m sorry, but that is one of my biggest pet peeves as a writer (as I am one, too). Yes, you should listen to your fans somewhat, but they shouldn’t dictate and change the story you want to write. If you let that happen, it’s not your story anymore. And it also sacrifices a lot of plans and ideas the author could have explored, but didn’t because they chose to cater towards fanservice instead.

I think some fans need to remember that they’re exactly that: fans. And at the end of the day, the author is going to write the story they picture. If you prefer something else, then you can write your own epic. Harry/Hermione fans were forced to take in Ron/Hermione and Harry/Ginny. KH fans can take in SoKai and more of Kairi, if that’s Nomura’s intent.

I mean, I think a lot of Square’s problem lately is that they’re not sticking to their guns, and are trying too hard to cater to fans. XIII-2 was made specifically to fans’ wants, and look how well that turned out. Anyway, sorry for going on a rant. Though I agree with your other points, I think Nomura should be able to tell his story. (And of, course, if this means he doesn’t want SoKai, or Kairi, then I’ll accept that, the way others should accept the reverse should it happen.)

In my opinion, I hope they develop Kairi soon. It’s a loss that they haven’t yet. And I actually think they need to stay away from Riku for a while (I think his story’s done for this saga, at least, and too much focus on him might ruin his resolution from DDD), and finally give Kairi the time she deserves.

I do think Square has some cool ideas for her (the original beta trailer made it seem like she might save Sora at least once, and that Riku was main antagonist at that point of development). And who knows? Maybe the fact there was a Kairi model found within BbSFM’s coding for the “KH3D demo” means something. For all we know, they might have her totally Aqua it in KHIII (god I hope so). At this point, I guess we’ll just have to wait and see:)

Thanks for all the replies, and making my first editorial such a success, guys. I had a blast talking with you all! See you all soon! Who knows? Maybe I’ll even write something else soon ^_^

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
@Ruran: I do agree with and can understand all of your posts, but at the same time… though stuffing Kairi down people’s throats, and whatnot could get annoying, at least we’d still know that Sora and Riku still cared about Kairi that way. A lot of fans are starting to feel like they don’t, seeing as how she’s not in the games anymore (sometimes for silly reasons like the one Nomura gave for Re:Coded), no one even thinks of her anymore, and we haven’t seen her in seven years. So while I don’t think they should overdue it, something of her every now and then would be nice.

There's been more than enough throughout the series to show that Sora and Riku care a lot for Kairi. As been mentioned the games that ignored Kairi the most did so with good reason. The only game where it was out of place was 3D and that was only because they wanted that "stinger" in the secret ending. Really, if the fans feel like Sora and Riku's feelings for Kairi are waning because they don't mention her every chance they get it sounds more like the fans' problem than anything. There's no reason that they should stop caring about each other nor for the audience to be reminded all the time. We do get something on her every now and then but for the most part Kairi didn't have a role in the overarching plot so there's really no reason to show or mention her more than they have to.

In my opinion, I hope they develop Kairi soon. It’s a loss that they haven’t yet. And I actually think they need to stay away from Riku for a while (I think his story’s done for this saga, at least, and too much focus on him might ruin his resolution from DDD), and finally give Kairi the time she deserves.

If they were develop her character I'd prefer if they'd wait until the next saga tbh. We're at the ass end of this one and giving her proper development now would mean either focusing too much on her, thus, disrupting the pacing or her development will be really rushed. Can't really say if it's a loss or not until it actually happens and then it depends on how it all goes down. Having character development won't automatically fix her character, having good character development will (...maybe). She can have the biggest role in KH3, they can even make her the main character who we play as from beginning to end, but she has just as good a chance of her handling being really shitty.

I do think Square has some cool ideas for her (the original beta trailer made it seem like she might save Sora at least once, and that Riku was main antagonist at that point of development). And who knows? Maybe the fact there was a Kairi model found within BbSFM’s coding for the “KH3D demo” means something. For all we know, they might have her totally Aqua it in KHIII (god I hope so). At this point, I guess we’ll just have to wait and see:)

Didn't she save Sora when she di-heartlessafied him?

God I hope not! The last thing Kairi needs is to made a "little Aqua". Let her grow into her own thing rather than take after a "cooler" other person. But like before if they want Kairi to step up her game it's something I'd rather they leave her abeyant for until the next saga where she can have a fresh start, and maybe even have a game that's centric on her. She'd have way more chance to have her character focused as the story unfolds. All of a sudden trying to make her kick-ass now would be rushed.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
@Ruran Once again, I do get all of your points. And I thank you for discussing with me:) It's nice to understand different side of things. I just hope they start treating her character better from now on.

And tbh, I think it'd be best to save her character development for the next saga, too. But with what Square did with the 3D secret ending, it'd make them look like they didn't know what they were doing if they didn't implement her in some way. This game doesn't have to be where they make up for all the past sins, but it should be the start of something, what with her being important in two respects in this game. And since is the end of the Xehanort Saga, I want her to have some semblance of importance by the end of it.

Hahaha. I didn't completely what I meant about Kairi being Aqua-esque (it was just the best and most concise way to explain my hopes for her). I don't want to have a double dose "of warrior girl" in the series, either. And I do want them to hold onto who Kairi is as a character, and explore that instead of molding her into something new entirely.

Though, I wouldn't mind if her destiny tied with Aqua's just a tiny bit, seeing as how Sora and Riku's did with Ven and Terra. But I still want Kairi to have her own story, and way of going about things that are central to her character. Mainly what I meant about her being more "Aqua" like was that: I want to see her stand on her own, her fighting for her boys somewhat, and seeing that just because she has a heart full of Light doesn't mean she's incapable of certain things (and yes, I know Aqua's heart wasn't full of Light, but that's beside the point). Am I making sense at all?

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
@Ruran Once again, I do get all of your points. And I thank you for discussing with me:) It's nice to understand different side of things. I just hope they start treating her character better from now on.

And tbh, I think it'd be best to save her character development for the next saga, too. But with what Square did with the 3D secret ending, it'd make them look like they didn't know what they were doing if they didn't implement her in some way. This game doesn't have to be where they make up for all the past sins, but it should be the start of something, what with her being important in two respects in this game. And since is the end of the Xehanort Saga, I want her to have some semblance of importance by the end of it.

Hahaha. I didn't completely what I meant about Kairi being Aqua-esque (it was just the best and most concise way to explain my hopes for her). I don't want to have a double dose "of warrior girl" in the series, either. And I do want them to hold onto who Kairi is as a character, and explore that instead of molding her into something new entirely.

Though, I wouldn't mind if her destiny tied with Aqua's just a tiny bit, seeing as how Sora and Riku's did with Ven and Terra. But I still want Kairi to have her own story, and way of going about things that are central to her character. Mainly what I meant about her being more "Aqua" like was that: I want to see her stand on her own, her fighting for her boys somewhat, and seeing that just because she has a heart full of Light doesn't mean she's incapable of certain things (and yes, I know Aqua's heart wasn't full of Light, but that's beside the point). Am I making sense at all?

You are not making things any easy, you knaw that? I am going to say this once, and only one:

The writers of a series (Not just KH) aren't going to force characters into something becuase you think and you quote: "They don't know what they're doing". They have plans for these characters, and they'll follow through it. But it's important thet we wait and see. You like Kairi I understand, but you're no better than another series I follow with a character who came back after a big arc. And while I like Aqua, Kairi needs her own style, her self and if she has to be shape to a new girl, it needs to be done without derailing her unlike all the stories I see of Kairi.

Xagzan

Awards
Pretty sure Nomura already knows Kairi is an underutilized character. The secret ending of KH3D wouldn't have happened if he wasn't.

True. I just hope it's not a case of too little, too late. Aside from Namine, Kairi might be the only main character who has never been playable--which makes sense, since she could never fight--but now she will be able to, assuming Nomura doesn't fumble that, so I really think she should be for a significant portion of some upcoming game, whether KH3 or otherwise. I'd especially love to see her get scenes with some of the other characters, particularly Aqua.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
@oathkeeperriku09 I suppose you're right, but it really is starting to seem like they just don't know what to do with her, or have way too many characters to juggle: something I've seen other series struggle with in the past.

And once again, like I said in the article, I do get some of the issues with including Kairi in the games, and don't completely begrudge Square-Enix that. Also, I do think Nomura has some big plan for Kairi in the future (I hope), but this article was mostly about how Kairi's character could have been handled better, so she wouldn't have seemed like a last minute thought in all of the games before III.

Anyway, for the most part we seem to agree on a lot of things, so I guess we'll leave it at this. And hopefully Kairi's inclusion in KHIII will be handled with care, and done in the best way possible for her character, and all the interested/concerned parties.

And, yes. I, too, want her to be her own person. Personally, I'd love it if they delved into Kairi's feisty side more. That was something I always liked about her, and so was a bit sad she was so somber in KHII. Her bluntness could be a cool thing to set her apart from the other characters, maybe. But that's a discussion for another time.

Thanks for discussing things so civilly with me! :)

-Shanna

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
@oathkeeperriku09 I suppose you're right, but it really is starting to seem like they just don't know what to do with her, or have way too many characters to juggle: something I've seen other series struggle with in the past.

And once again, like I said in the article, I do get some of the issues with including Kairi in the games, and don't completely begrudge Square-Enix that. Also, I do think Nomura has some big plan for Kairi in the future (I hope), but this article was mostly about how Kairi's character could have been handled better, so she wouldn't have seemed like a last minute thought in all of the games before III.

Anyway, for the most part we seem to agree on a lot of things, so I guess we'll leave it at this. And hopefully Kairi's inclusion in KHIII will be handled with care, and done in the best way possible for her character, and all the interested/concerned parties.

And, yes. I, too, want her to be her own person. Personally, I'd love it if they delved into Kairi's feisty side more. That was something I always liked about her, and so was a bit sad she was so somber in KHII. Her bluntness could be a cool thing to set her apart from the other characters, maybe. But that's a discussion for another time.

Thanks for discussing things so civilly with me! :)

-Shanna

You are still are not getting it, which is why I don't agree with your editorial. Of course they know what to do with her, or Kairi would be being put on the bus a long time ago, it's like I am trying to tell you, you can't rush these things. I never thought these words would come from me but, there are more imprtant characters to learn and flesh out than just Kairi, there I said it. Everyone else is more imprtant, Riku, TAV, RAXN, and Sora. And while juggling many character is omething everyone can't do, it's important to take it slow, one step at a time with each character. And while your article says that Kairi should be handled better, but no one wants to be forced with Kairi in every games, including ones she doesn't have to be there.

Terarded

ive noticed this happening too. the reason is that she is voice by hayden penettiere who since the first kingdom hearts has become more and more famous. its hard for game producers to keep big stars interested in game series like this so they just give her small parts because its either that or find another voice for her.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
ive noticed this happening too. the reason is that she is voice by hayden penettiere who since the first kingdom hearts has become more and more famous. its hard for game producers to keep big stars interested in game series like this so they just give her small parts because its either that or find another voice for her.
That's not really the case.

The game is japanese, so they write their own story and don't consider the "stars" of the American voices.
They have a replacement if Hayden is unavailable, which they've used a few times now.
Unless her contract says she has to stay until III, she could leave whenever just like Billy Zane did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back