• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► I'm so tired of being nice.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Endgame

:D
Well let me give you the rundown. Really, I'm a nice person. No, really.

People have a tendancy to come to me with their problems. Or more accuratly, I have a tendancy to want to help people with their problems. This has grown into quite a trend thus people now do tend to come to me if they need to talk.

However.

Over time, I've dispensed a lot of advice to a lot of people. And the majority of those people nod their heads, smile weakly, thank me for my help, and say they're going to do everything we talked about. And then they dont. Do. Anything. And then they come back to me upset over a problem that they believe is completly different but is obviously stemming from the same source as their previous one. Having changed nothing. Having done nothing. Still thinking in the same patterns they were. They didn't even try to take my advice. So I help them again.

The same thing happens. They keep coming back with the same problem from slightly different perspectives. I keep rephrasing the same things I told them. And they tell me they've listened and understood. And it cycles again.

Today I told someone who told me she was going to slit her wrists to go and do it, and to run one past her throat while she was at it. Why? Because I'm tired and sick of it. They don't listen to me. They don't understand what I say. All they want is attention. All of them. With their myriad of problems which they ceaselessly tell others about. The problem is, this is spilling over into my relationships with people who do want and need my help. Take, for example, my mother, who recently split up from my father and is taking it pretty hard. I've been avoiding talking about her problems with her, even though she talks about them whenever I see her, because I know I'm going to get frustrated and be a bastard to her.

Tell me.

How do I get through to the people who won't help themselves?

I've come to only one solution. Expose them to the harsh reality of the situation in it's entirety. Confront them with their shortcomings ruthlessly, usually by shouting, telling them how pathetic their problems really are, and showing them just how useless it all is, until they either start to understand the reality of the situation, or give up.

Most give up.

But maybe, just maybe, after they've stopped crying and thinking of ways to kill me for being so cruel to them, maybe something of what I said will sink in.

Lifes.Lover

For the deeds of today resonate....
Website
lifes-lover18.livejournal.com
I had the same problem that you did. I'm the listener in my group of friends. People know that they can come to me and I'll listen and I'll give them advice, and they always like what I say.

But it never changes anything does it? And after a while, I got tired of always being the one to help, but no one would ever help me.

And, to be honest, I got so tired of it that I eventually told people to stop coming to me. Shouldering everyone's problems just wasn't healthy for me anymore than it was for them.

And after I told them to stop coming to me, they did. And I felt so lost.

Since then, I've come to this conclusion. I like them coming to me. I like knowing that I can help them. I like knowing that out of everyone in our friends group, they come to me to talk about their problems. It shows they trust me. And, well, it was something to do.

It's not easy, because sometimes they really don't listen, and I can be really blunt, especially when I'm not in the mood to be patient or I'm really tired. But I feel like I'm doing something worthwhile.

But, I'm straightforward. I tell them exactly what I find wrong with what happened, on both sides of the spectrum, and I don't sugar coat it. I've learned over the years that being nice about the advice I dispense to them doesn't really work. It doesn't get in their head, and they never change.

I tell them that either they take my advice, and actually do something different about their problems, or don't bother coming to me at all. They don't have to take my advice, but I'd rather they didn't come to me again when they didn't do as I advised the first time around. My advice doesn't change.

However, you might be completely different from me. Everyone has different ways of dispensing advice. Just like everyone is different in the ways that advice can help them.

Home bound

Just Caaaalm Down
I think you just need a friend to say shit about everything.

nelly <3

wayfarer~
Website
www.facebook.com
do you have a best friend to talk to?

other then my bff.
i can care less about everyone.

don't worry about people, let them deal with their own problems.

GHAST

Don't deal with shit-heads. If they're not willing to put forth any effort on their part, then you're wasting your time.

Aucune Raison

DARLING SO THERE YOU ARE
Your course of action seems to be exactly the right thing to do. The people that you've talked about obviously need a dose of reality. If they get mad at you, then they're really just letting out their inner feelings about themselves not being able to change. If they have any sense at all, they'll thank you later.

Tatsu

Oh I go through this everyday. I give people mainly my family advice and they don't listen. But they keep coming to me for help and advice. Yet when I give it, they don't follow it and end up in more trouble. It gets so fruastrating. My advice...keep giving it to them. Their mental but at least you're being the better person.

Aqua.

ichimaru gin~ <3
give them the truth. if all they want is compliments and and to know someone is listening then tell them to get a friend, stop whining, and go talk to a counsler or something. i know you might feel that youre being mean, but still, you have a life too, its not all about everybody else or yourself.

lilmissrandom101

I know your pain. My best friend has a boyfriend even though she's not allowed to have one,and I tell her,"Ryan,just break up with him,you know what your parents would do if they found out." and she's like,"But I love him!" And that's when I get mad and I told her 'Bitch please you don't know what the fuck love is,your only in the seventh grade,now stop acting stupid you emo!'*I feel bad about calling her emo though xD* And guess what? Her parents found out and you know what now she's being sent away to live in San Antonio,when she told me that I said "Good,that's what you get for not listening to me when i warned you of the consequences."It just irritates me when my friends come to me for advice and don't listen to it.Andnow she's cutting herself and going all emo

*Wow Iwrote alot:35:*

Ophan

Airman
Awards
Website
zionphnx.deviantart.com
well im not going to say that i can completely
know how you feel, but the comfort of trying to solve
other people's problems is indeed something i can relate to.
It is comforting to reassure your humanity amongst other people,
but as a human, you have to understand that people are confusing
in an entirety. You can't help everyone with what you preach, and so it
comes to the people you help to take action into their own hands. You
simply give them a door that they themselves have to walk through.
Trying to understand the human emotion and working with it is quite a
complicated thing to do, so it's only natural that you would grow angry
eventually.

getting angry is useless, you cannot solve someone's problems, but you can
help them as you have been doing already. Like everyone else, you have a choice
to either help or not, and in some circumstances you have to let others know
that if they ever want to get over their hill of problems they have to struggle on their own.
Every problem is a stepping stone, and it takes time for every step.

You must empower people with the advice they come to you for
otherwise it will just be another continued cycle.

Zions, simply uttering the words 'Shot' and 'Web' in the same sentance does not automatically make you funny. It makes you look like a six year old with a poor grasp of the concept of humour. Also, masturbation does not give you superpowers. If it did, I would have ruled this world long ago. :p

sometimes it is okay to point out what people do wrong
in a harsh manner. It gives us a sense of reality within ourselves,
but know your limits, and the individual. Not everyone succumbs to a
ruthless response even if it is correct. Indulge in your advice, and
understand those you advise

Diastyl

You can give little bits and pieces of advice, but if they can't accept it, keep trying. If it's too late, you can't blame it on yourself either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back