• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

I'm INSULTED!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Covered in Bees

FLYNN LIVES!!!
Walking out at night, alone. Bumping into street s
First off, I would like to say that I love videogames. I love everything about them. However, there are certain types of videogames, and/or systems, that I do not particularly care for.

Just last night, I happened to play Halo with a few of my friends. I would also like to say that Halo (and the Xbox, for that matter) is not something that I care for, nor would I spend my precious money on.

But, as things go, anything can be a blast when you're playing it with friends, even if you suck.

As I suck at Halo, and I don't like Xbox, my friend had the audacity to say that I was not a true gamer. (It was completely unfair. It was the third time I had ever played Halo.)

So, here's my question: What the hell makes a true gamer?

you can look up online dictionaries all day long if you want to, but I'll tell you right now that your friends are misunderstanding the difference between a hardcore gamer and a true gamer.

true gamers love video games. not just playing games, but admiring games. true gamers love the atmosphere of a video game-involved environment.(ex. the feeling i got from waiting in line with my friends to get my Wii.) true gamers are open to all kinds of video games, and are willing to play a game before passing judgement. true gamers may be good at all video games, or they may only be good at a few video games. either way, true gamers love playing the games, despite their personal skill level.

your friends sound more like hardcore gamers. hardcore gamers typically only play 1 - 4 specific titles, and end up being insanely skilled at those specific games. hardcore gamers dont care about video games in general, as long as they can always win at whatever specific game(s) they play.

hope that helps. :)

ozymandius

Um, what does the subject of this thread have to do with you being insulted?

Anyway, I think a true gamer is someone who has played every game worth playing, and many more that weren't so great.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Um, what does the subject of this thread have to do with you being insulted?

Anyway, I think a true gamer is someone who has played every game worth playing, and many more that weren't so great.

Then virtually no-one is a "true gamer." Hell, I haven't even played Panzer Dragoon Saga or Grim Fandango yet.

Ohcan Det

A true gamer is what you make of it. However, Of course you have to enjoy videogames. I think of myself as a true gamer because I play videogames. Its all in the two words. True-Gamer.

True: Real, Fact.
Gamer: A man, woman or thing that plays videogames.

My definition of a true gamer is someone who is devoted to video games and NOTHING else. They rarely leave their rooms to socialize and/or eat.
I just had to answer to this.

No. A true gamer is NOT someone who is devoted to video games and nothing else. Like I said in my post above a true gamer is a person who plays games. Now, Someone who devotes their life to videogames for I am one myself, is a hardcore gamer, an obsessed gamer, and I sometimes describe it as a Proud Gamer. However If someone believes I am wrong, state your opinion and prove to me that I am wrong.

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards
A true gamer can grasp the controls of a game within minutes. But there really isn't anything like a true gamer. So, don't let it bother you.=D
You ****ing stupid? My friend can grasp any game controls within minutes. He's once beat me in a game he's never played which I had beaten 3 times. The only thing with him is, if he likes the game, he'll kick your ass every single way but if he doesn't like it, he'll rush at the console, open up the tray and put his game in.

Ohcan Det

you can look up online dictionaries all day long if you want to, but I'll tell you right now that your friends are misunderstanding the difference between a hardcore gamer and a true gamer.

true gamers love video games. not just playing games, but admiring games. true gamers love the atmosphere of a video game-involved environment.(ex. the feeling i got from waiting in line with my friends to get my Wii.) true gamers are open to all kinds of video games, and are willing to play a game before passing judgement. true gamers may be good at all video games, or they may only be good at a few video games. either way, true gamers love playing the games, despite their personal skill level.

your friends sound more like hardcore gamers. hardcore gamers typically only play 1 - 4 specific titles, and end up being insanely skilled at those specific games. hardcore gamers dont care about video games in general, as long as they can always win at whatever specific game(s) they play.

hope that helps. :)
Then I guess I'm both right and wrong.

Koji

Still Alive
Awards
You ****ing stupid? My friend can grasp any game controls within minutes. He's once beat me in a game he's never played which I had beaten 3 times. The only thing with him is, if he likes the game, he'll kick your ass every single way but if he doesn't like it, he'll rush at the console, open up the tray and put his game in.
What Tallian mentioned was just one aspect of a true gamer. Your friend is reaching the stage of a true gamer, but to be complete, he has to rid himself of the "sore loser" side, and control his temper.

T

The Marauder

Tell your friend that being a pro at Halo makes you anything but a true gamer. Console players cannot be true gamers, that title resides only with PC users. If he would like to argue this, tell him I'll face off against him in CS 1.6 any time he so desires.

Thor.

Do Our Best
Awards
You have no idea what you're talking about do you?

The PC is not even for gaming, game systems however are, how does gaming on something not desgined for games make you a true gamer?

T

The Marauder

You have no idea what you're talking about do you?

The PC is not even for gaming, game systems however are, how does gaming on something not desgined for games make you a true gamer?

Lol... Your speaking rights have been revoked, kid. You fail miserably. If you need ask why, read the PC vs Console thread.

Koji

Still Alive
Awards
Tell your friend that being a pro at Halo makes you anything but a true gamer. Console players cannot be true gamers, that title resides only with PC users. If he would like to argue this, tell him I'll face off against him in CS 1.6 any time he so desires.

Nope, nope nope. The PC is for computer nerds.
Here's how to identify Computer nerds (GEEKS):
Always has glasses, fat, pizza faces(lotsa acne), eat only junk, has only online friends, buy everything online, are picked on in school as losers, and believe that they ARE their online game characters and have their special powers too.

Here's how to identify gamers:
They wear or buy lotsa gaming merchandise, have a real social life, eat healthy most of the time, sometimes has glasses, are only focusing on the game in a conversation or when actually playing the game, knows that it is just a game, doesnt waste time with hacking into games and cheating.

If a person has more than 3 of these specs, they are in that class. Hey, I didnt make it up...
Therefore the consoles, specifically designed for GAMERS ONLY will be the true gamer's platform.

Covered in Bees

FLYNN LIVES!!!
Walking out at night, alone. Bumping into street s
The PC is for computer nerds.
Here's how to identify Computer nerds (GEEKS):
Always has glasses, fat, pizza faces(lotsa acne), eat only junk, has only online friends, buy everything online, are picked on in school as losers, and believe that they ARE their online game characters and have their special powers too.

hmmm, strange. i play PC games, and i weigh 110lbs, i have no glasses or acne, i have plenty of friends offline, rarely purchase things online, dont get picked on all too often, and i've never believed that i was on online game character with special powers.

oh, and btw, games are games. it doesn't matter what platform they're on(yes PC is a platform, just like xbox, ps2, etc.)

Americo

Dramatic Hearts Creator
It doesn't matter if the gamer is good or bad. A True Gamer is someone who sticks to gaming because it's what they enjoy. A GOOD gamer could grasp the controls of a new game in minutes, and they too might be True Gamers, but that doesn't define it itself. It's just someone who doesn't give up because the game is hard or something similar to that. They also aren't fan boys, at least that's what I personally believe. To me a True Gamer wouldn't limit his or her selection of games to just one console, they would open their mind to everything. They may not like it, but that won't stop them from trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back