• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

IGN Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance Review

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
They didn't rip on KH's camera controls in this game? Are they really fixed (to those who played the Jap. version)? I know the camera has been the most consistent problem throughout KH's lifespan so I'm curious if that isn't that bad in this game? Also, the platforming isn't that shocking considering as she said in the video review, if they allowed you to travel on everything the area would literally be "jaw-dropping" considering with Flowmotion there isn't really a structure that you can't overcome.

However, this game being better than BbS? BLASPHEMY!!! Maybe I'm making a quick judgement, but a game where I can't play as Aqua beating a game where I can play as Aqua...I call bull$*&%, there is no way you have 3 aces...

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
They didn't rip on KH's camera controls in this game? Are they really fixed (to those who played the Jap. version)? I know the camera has been the most consistent problem throughout KH's lifespan so I'm curious if that isn't that bad in this game?

Personally, the only cameras that I thought had a problem in the KH series was the one in KH1 (that fight against Chernabog was the worst example of it) and in 358/2 Days. In all the other games, the camera seemed fine to me :/

Hillboy

MIA
Awards
Wow, that was a pretty good reveiw, and all this time i've been pronouncing convoluted this entire time

axel95

Awards
I actually agree with this review, just from playing the demo. It's very rare that I agree with IGN, especially when they review games that I love.

kupo1121

Awards
Personally, the only cameras that I thought had a problem in the KH series was the one in KH1 (that fight against Chernabog was the worst example of it) and in 358/2 Days. In all the other games, the camera seemed fine to me :/

KH1 definitely had the biggest problem with camera, but I thought BbS' had a few nicks during times when I was fighting bosses, not that I don't love starring directly into Terra's eyes, but when I can't see anything else but his eyes it makes me a little ticked lol xP

I actually agree with this review, just from playing the demo. It's very rare that I agree with IGN, especially when they review games that I love.

Are you sure you don't agree with this review then purely because it didn't say the game was bad? You said you rarely agree with IGN when they review games you love probably because IGN doesn't love the game as much as you do, which is why you don't agree with them lol xP

inverse K-blade7

I actually thought it was a very fair review as well, though i cant help but wish that the number score at the end was bit higher, just to encourage a few more people to go out and buy the game. Some people just look at an 8.5 and leave it at that.

Also, to anyone wondering about spoilers, its pretty safe, but the video review reveals a lot of the opening cinematic, which I've been trying to avoid watching.

axel95

Awards
Are you sure you don't agree with this review then purely because it didn't say the game was bad? You said you rarely agree with IGN when they review games you love probably because IGN doesn't love the game as much as you do, which is why you don't agree with them lol xP
Yeah I'm pretty sure. They gave TW13 a horrible review just because of the way an online aspect of the game worked. I'm glad to see it's an honest review and not "WHY HAVEN'T THEY COME OUT WITH KH3 YET???? THIS IS DUMB AND NOT WORTH YOUR TIME BECAUSE IT ISN'T KH3!!!!!!"

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I felt like the review could have been summed up by the means of only playing the demo and watching the English trailers.

Every now and then you’ll see an environment that doesn’t quite hold up, but this is rare, ...
what does this even mean...

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I felt like the review could have been summed up by the means of only playing the demo and watching the English trailers.

what does this even mean...
I've experienced it. It's where you can't flowmotion off say a roof, or a wall, instead you keep flying at it, but can't kick off it.
It is very annoying.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
I've experienced it. It's where you can't flowmotion off say a roof, or a wall, instead you keep flying at it, but can't kick off it.
It is very annoying.

I've never experienced that in the 3D demo...though I never was really good at flowmotion to begin with and never really used it except for flick rush. I hope the reviewer is true about it being rare.

kupo1121

Awards
It is very annoying.

Yeah, in some games (not just KH), things that look like you should be able to jump on and grab on have imaginary walls in front of them that don't allow you to land or grab onto such platform. Many games have things like this as a way to limit how far the player can travel in that area, but most games can cover it up with tall buildings that the player can't jump over. In DDD, you can continually go upwards, so it is difficult to make obstacles that you can't get over with Flowmotion.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
It is very annoying.

That's happened to me sometimes, but it never really annoyed me simply because it's in a small space that I figured it probably wouldn't be able to kick in anyway.

Gray Aria

The Misshapen Spark
Awards
I actually thought it was a very fair review as well, though i cant help but wish that the number score at the end was bit higher, just to encourage a few more people to go out and buy the game. Some people just look at an 8.5 and leave it at that.

Also, to anyone wondering about spoilers, its pretty safe, but the video review reveals a lot of the opening cinematic, which I've been trying to avoid watching.

In any review, the number score is not the part that matters. You can't define a game with a number. To really know if it's worth buying people should just read the review and ignore the number. Unfortunately most people just go straight to the number. But even if they do, 8.5 plus Editor's Choice is a great score. It's really a shame that a lot of people only consider 9s and 10s to be good. Because if you look at it this way:

1 = unplayable
2 = terrible
3 = very bad
4 = bad
5 = average
6 = good
7 = very good
8 = great
9 = outstanding
10 = must buy

then anything from 5 up would be worth buying. But most people just look at the scale from the second half and consider 7 average. This is another reason why I don't care for numbers and just read the review. Anyway, if I did care for numbers, then just based on reading the review, they really made the game sound like a 9.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
I think the most fair way of reviewing (as far as scores go) is Angry Joe's. Because he says straight from the beginning "if I give a game a 6/10, that does NOT mean it's a bad game." Even after posting the score, he'll give a summary of why he gave it that score and how despite the score, you should/shouldn't get the game anyway. (best example is Asura's Wrath. Which he explained how he loved the game to death but simply because of the gameplay, he had to rate it a 6, but he still gave it a seal of approval and recommended people to play it)

Shadow_

Banned
Awards
I thought this Review was very cool! its good to see Sora and Riku and the talk about drop system, gets me even more hyped.

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
if you look at it this way:

1 = unplayable
2 = terrible
3 = very bad
4 = bad
5 = average
6 = good
7 = very good
8 = great
9 = outstanding
10 = must buy

The way I personally see the way people judge a game based on a number:

1 = completely ignore
2 = completely ignore
3 = completely ignore
4 = completely ignore
5 = completely ignore
6 = maybe worth a rent
7 = rent it
8 = rent it or buy it if you have the cash
9 = buy it
10 = must buy

I remember another game that got a 7 on IGN that is one of my personal favorites. No More Heroes.

Seeing 3D get an 8.5 AND an Editor's Choice award makes me a happy fanatic.

Roxas12

Good review, but I don't trust IGN much. Every single major Zelda game that has be released has received a 9.0 or above. Even the DS ones. And I think EVERY console game has received a perfect 10. Seems pretty fishy considering the Zelda series and the Kingdom Hearts series share many flaws. The camera and lock on system in Zelda is also extremely flawed and downright annoying at times. Not to mention the platforming isn't exactly perfect. And people harp on KH for having cheesy dialogue, but Zelda's is just as cheesy. You just don't notice it, because there's no voice acting. I dunno. Ign just seems extremely biased.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
Why do people compare the reviews lol? Different reviewers reviewing different games are bound to get different scores. Like really :/

Hillboy

MIA
Awards
Why do people compare the reviews lol? Different reviewers reviewing different games are bound to get different scores. Like really :/

Yeah, you guys get really upset easily. Chill out and be happy about a good fair score and an Editor's Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back