• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

I have a question

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aegis

What the hell are the forces of light and darkness? Honestly, I'm not really sure. People say they use darkness and light... but what are their properties? Strengths? Weaknesses? Are you basing them off of some sort of mythology, or are you just trying to look cool? Because it seems to be, these two elements are near indestructible with everyone that has it.

Aucune Raison

DARLING SO THERE YOU ARE
I've seem them used as generic destructive energy. Their weakness is their opposite, I guess.

EDIT: Chi maybe? Or the two ends of the temperature gauge?

I haven't dealt with them in a while, when I used "Light" it had the attributes of searing light (blinds opponents, burns, moves fast) and positive energy (purifies, anti-demonic/dark/evil, heals allies). "Darkness" was more of a deep, cold, negative, manipulative, trickster element.

Last edited:

Aucune Raison

DARLING SO THERE YOU ARE
I hope no one rules this as spam. So seeing as there's a question-based thread anyway, I might as well ask.
How come I can't make new threads? And more importantly, how do I fix it?

Server problems. They're "working on it". You can make your problem known in Ask A Mod or something.

Aucune Raison

DARLING SO THERE YOU ARE
Then how are new threads being made to begin with? For instance, this one...
Hey maybe someone can make open up a thread for me? I just want an Open Challenge.
Since apparently I can reply, I'll be able to battle.

Do you mean that it won't let you post it or you can't find the button? Because the problems don't happen to everyone. You could always ask a moderator to move a thread for you after you make it in a section you're able to.

Anyways, people might have varying opinions about what the two powers physically are, so if you're fighting someone who is using them, just ask for more detail.

Endgame

:D
Light is a visual effect commonly produced by heat sources or photofluroscent means. Darkness, as the other side of that coin, is the abscence of light, or, when you consider it, the 'normal' state in the abscence of any light source.

As far as I can tell, neither possess the ability to physically injure someone, though a heat source generating light may do so. Insofar as this, Ragione was partially correct in his usage.

The answer lies more in what the terms represent rather then the terms themselves, wheras Light represents a positive force, and Dark a negative. Using this analogy, if an equal amount of the two forces are used against one another, they cancel one another out. However, and I cannot stress this enough, neither are an 'element'. An alignment, perhaps, or an ability affiliation, but they are not elements. Such nonsensical ideas are propagated by the likes of pokemon, where an elemental archetype indicates the strengths or weaknesses of everything within that archetype.

Light and Darkness are not elements.

And they are by no means indestrutible. As states of the visual spectrum, they have no use in combat. As interprative 'titles', they can be cancelled by application of the other, or, as any 'elemental' attacks should be, ignored completly as an 'element' and dealt with according to the nature of the attack itself, and not that which it is comprised of.

No, really, I've got no time nor sympathy to waste on those who fall back on the crutches of 'elemental' characters in place of any actual creativity.

Chromatic

Become
Awards
Light is a visual effect commonly produced by heat sources or photofluroscent means. Darkness, as the other side of that coin, is the abscence of light, or, when you consider it, the 'normal' state in the abscence of any light source.

As far as I can tell, neither possess the ability to physically injure someone, though a heat source generating light may do so. Insofar as this, Ragione was partially correct in his usage.

The answer lies more in what the terms represent rather then the terms themselves, wheras Light represents a positive force, and Dark a negative. Using this analogy, if an equal amount of the two forces are used against one another, they cancel one another out. However, and I cannot stress this enough, neither are an 'element'. An alignment, perhaps, or an ability affiliation, but they are not elements. Such nonsensical ideas are propagated by the likes of pokemon, where an elemental archetype indicates the strengths or weaknesses of everything within that archetype.

Light and Darkness are not elements.

And they are by no means indestrutible. As states of the visual spectrum, they have no use in combat. As interprative 'titles', they can be cancelled by application of the other, or, as any 'elemental' attacks should be, ignored completly as an 'element' and dealt with according to the nature of the attack itself, and not that which it is comprised of.

No, really, I've got no time nor sympathy to waste on those who fall back on the crutches of 'elemental' characters in place of any actual creativity.

that's pretty much how i see it. I like to use light and dark as way of classifying the energy put out by a character (kind of a dragonball Z style approach). "Light" would feel "good", while "dark" would feel more "evil"

Rainfire

Sitting in the rain, thinking up new ideas...
Honestly, this is one of those things that it really just comes down to the opinion of the person operating it. While my own opinions on the matter shall stay just that, I will say this -- when people think to use Light or Dark as an ability/power/whatever, they need to define what they mean by it and how they're using it. How are they able to control said ability? I mean, Elements are one thing... but Light and Dark? If your opponent does not believe they are elements (i.e. Misanthropy) then you're kind of screwed, unless you have a proper explanation.

Anyway, I stick with my original statement -- it's subjective. As with everything in Role-Playing.

frisson

Silver Member
I just avoid that road altogether. But I'd think the connotations of such forces affect the properties of any other attack, to a degree.

Take the Firaga spell for instance. There's a dark variant to it. That kind of thing.

Last edited:

Mail Man

Then how are new threads being made to begin with? For instance, this one...
Hey maybe someone can make open up a thread for me? I just want an Open Challenge.
Since apparently I can reply, I'll be able to battle.

I'll take you up on that. Been a while since I've battled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back