• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Hunter x Hunter

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
Yeah the Chimera Ant King was a shocker for me. On one hand, he looks like Cell's little brother. On the other hand....he's easily one of the most complex and interesting villains I've ever seen in a work of fiction.

DerringerZONE!

I agree with you there. Fans aren't in the same page when it came to the ending of the Chimera Ant arc, to me, it was pretty decent. What Togashi did was staying true to the HxH trend of getting rid of villains. Some die, but a larger number get to live to move on to a new journey. And I liked the Chimera King's character development and the events pretty much tied up the mysterious loose ends, such as Alluka.

It's just funny how Kalluto had to join the Spiders when his brother was at home the entire time. Pretty messed up family there, but that's one of the main reasons I like the Zaoldyecks. Lol.

EightBitRed

Bronze Member
Yeah the Chimera Ant King was a shocker for me. On one hand, he looks like Cell's little brother. On the other hand....he's easily one of the most complex and interesting villains I've ever seen in a work of fiction.

I could name a few, but it's story was depressing

DerringerZONE!

You don't see a lot of villains dying 'coz of someone's act of desperation. And I like how he came to show respect for Chairman Netero in the end without being a son of a b*tch and give a snide remark.

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
I stopped watching the remake of the anime though, waiting until they get to the York Shin arc so I can bask in the glory of Kuroro Lucifer.

Yes, fangirl mode. I can't help it. <3

Then start watching now. Kurapika has just started his bodyguard stuff so it is on the horizon.

Endless Strategy

I stopped reading Hunter x Hunter for a while because the Chimera ant arc was reaching a level of disturbing I had rarely witnessed in anything. I'm glad I picked it back up though. The worst of it was at the start of the arc, and the rest of it was some of the best Shonen I've ever seen. I didn't notice the cell parallel until someone pointed it out to me.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
[video=youtube;UzZOMJFPZcc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzZOMJFPZcc[/video]

never saw this particular pv for the first ed before

pretty sad about that

EDIT: oh, i see, this is actually a pv for the english version of the song that comes out as a new single

and the video i embedded is from a fan who pasted the japanese version of the song onto the video (hence the disconnect between the japanese lyrics and the english ones, lol)

here's the correct/english version of the pv: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP0Ej28JeCs

Last edited:

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
I haven't watched this weeks episode but the last had Gon and Killua on a boat to York Shin with some information on Greed Island and Kurapika had just left the mansion with his new bodyguard friends.

But the preview for the episode they showed last I seem to remember had us meeting the Phantom Troupe.

Why are Fear and Loathing.... such a guilty pleasure?

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
So uh. 22 Episodes in. I expected a typical shounen anime like Dragonball. It's what I got, except it's - for some reason I've yet to figure out - a billion times better. I'm in love with this series. Mega Dragonball vibes from this.

Gon is an archetype that feels unique in his own way. He's likable despite being such a typical anime protaganist, because he has small things about him that build him up to be that and so much more. I somehow find myself like this about many characters in this series, where they aren't really straight up able to identify themselves as unique characters but somehow make it so you still find yourself entertained by said characters. Leorio is ballin', favorite character in this series.
though seriously so many sasuke uchiha similarities with kurapika

The Hunter Exam arc gave me that Chunin Exam feeling right away, and by the very first phase I was absolutely in love with it. I was on the edge of my seat by the final exam. This series is fantastic. How close are the anime and the manga, given the hiatus? This is becoming a series I can very easily get into.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
If you're familiar with Yu Yu Hakusho, you'll see even more similarities. Like, the part in the Hunter Exams where they have to get through the forest? Almost identical to Genkai's forest test.

But yeah, Togashi's great at taking a familiar formula or archetype and making it feel unique.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
If you're familiar with Yu Yu Hakusho, you'll see even more similarities. Like, the part in the Hunter Exams where they have to get through the forest? Almost identical to Genkai's forest test.

But yeah, Togashi's great at taking a familiar formula or archetype and making it feel unique.
I pretty much thought of that the entire part where they had to grab each other's tags in the forest. I'm a rather large Yu Yu Hakasho fanboy, which is what made me try this series. Very true on the archetype thing though, I'm loving it. Even though the parallels with Sasuke and Kurapika are uncanny, Kurapika is still his own character. I always mistake him for a girl though.

Endless Strategy

I pretty much thought of that the entire part where they had to grab each other's tags in the forest. I'm a rather large Yu Yu Hakasho fanboy, which is what made me try this series. Very true on the archetype thing though, I'm loving it. Even though the parallels with Sasuke and Kurapika are uncanny, Kurapika is still his own character. I always mistake him for a girl though.

Some of the characters even mistake him for a girl.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
Yeah even the official Viz translations kept jumping between "he" and "she" for a while lol. Neferpitou is much worse, though. I still don't know that thing's gender. Or Alluka's...

Also, I'm not sure but I think Kurapika's clan idea came before Sasuke's. When I first read it, I don't remember noticing that comparison.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
Not specifically that. Mostly the calm demeanor and the "I GET A POWER UP WHEN MY EYES TURN RED" thing. It doesn't bother me too much.

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
Yeah you've got at least 3 full bodied arcs to go till you reach the manga so you're fine for the moment.

Thing I find crazy is, Hunter x Hunter started a few months after One Piece started....so if Togashi didn't have his hiatuses as often and for such long times, we'd be in the 600 chapter mark...if not actually maybe finished the series. I mean the Chimera Ant arc went on for like 8 years...but had about 160 chapters in it I think.

I believe that Kurapika's Kurta clan did come before Naruto as the latter didn't start till about a year and a half after Hunter began.

Am loving the anime though, it's really picked up I think since Illumi turned up. It was at that point I started to take a lot more notice of the soundtrack and feeling of the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back