• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

How successful are you in Mathematics?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

ok sunny

Awards
I suck at math. It's not that I can't stand the subject, but I'm not good at it. People tell me that I'm "artsy" and that is the reason why I'm not very proficient at math.
Anyway, I'm making this to see who's good at this subject. This is because in Finland I just had I.B. Lukio (Finnish High School in English) entrance exams and they basically just test math and expect you to pass. Of course, with my logic, I don't pass and now I may have to move back to the US. It's not that I don't want to, but I prefer Finnish education (Plus I need to learn to speak the language more fluently).
So please, tell me how good and efficient you are in math.

D

Deleted member 36435

If you truly need help in Math, check out khanacademy.org

I struggle in Math quite a bit, for some reason I just confuse myself when doing it, and I've found these videos to be the most helpful.

Gram

Banned
Awards
There's no words that can describe my inability for math.

ok sunny

Awards
At least I'm not the only one around haha...
If you truly need help in Math, check out khanacademy.org

I struggle in Math quite a bit, for some reason I just confuse myself when doing it, and I've found these videos to be the most helpful.
I'll check the website out. Thanks for the help!

inasuma

i'm gonna be
Awards
Love math. I used to hate it but I realized I just wasn't trying hard enough/thinking about it the right away. I enjoy it much more now. I've always been a problem solver in some capacity anyway.

I've gotten pretty much near-top marks in my math classes since high school which is neat (college algebra, pre-calc, linear algebra, etc). I didn't need to take a lot of math which was nice. :3

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
I'm terrible at math mainly because my foundation (algebra) is complete shit. I'm a computer science major. I've had to take Calc I-III, Linear Algebra, Discrete Math, and Differential Equations. Calculus is pretty much all about manipulating problems using algebra so you can see where my issue lies . However, last semester I pulled study sessions with a group of friends for Calc III. I'm talking about spending literally a week couped up in the library for hours on end just prepping for tests. Its really helped because I'm taking Diff EQ now, and I'm able to find and recognize patterns. I got a 72 on the first exam so I can actually see myself getting a B or an A in the class.

Last edited:

ok sunny

Awards
Wow, nice job. I can only imagine how frustrating it must have been to isolate yourself to study for a while.

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
The problem is a lot of kids in high school and earlier just try to memorize the formulas and apply them to specific types of questions they know are going to be on the test. You need to understand the principles of basic math before you can do algebra, then the principles of algebra before geometry, etc

KHAN ACADEMY IS LOVE.

KHAN ACADEMY IS LIFE.

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
Well, I know how you feel my friend. It's one thing to be able to do basic math, which we all can do, but it's the complicated stuff that kills. Here's the thing- I was ABSOLUTELY terrible at math. But, after Algebra 1, and Geometry, things began to click in Algebra 2, and the Pre Calculus really clicked in my head. Things just started making sense for the first time. Not to say I didn't have certain concepts I completely dominated, but that's not the point. I, being the creative flesh sac with a soul that I am, began to process Algebra as another language in my head. Given some time, I could quickly pick it up again, but as of now, I'm done with college math.

I can't quite tell you how to come to the understanding I have in math, but a lot of it is logic, and if you can get those logic centers working along with your creative centers, you could definitely start to pull you weight in math. Also, a lot of math is going to be learning just for the test, like Pre-Calculus was for me, since I'm not going to be an engineer. Regardless, you can get good at it, and retain some things as you go.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I'm terrible at math mainly because my foundation (algebra) is complete shit. I'm a computer science major. I've had to take Calc I-III, Linear Algebra, Discrete Math, and Differential Equations. Calculus is pretty much all about manipulating problems using algebra so you can see where my issue lies . However, last semester I pulled study sessions with a group of friends for Calc III. I'm talking about spending literally a week couped up in the library for hours on end just prepping for tests. Its really helped because I'm taking Diff EQ now, and I'm able to find and recognize patterns. I got a 72 on the first exam so I can actually see myself getting a B or an A in the class.

How can you say you are terrible? You passed Calc I-III and Differentials and still remained a Computer Science major.

I consider myself a math oriented person, but failed both Pre Calc and Calc my first time around and ended up changing majors due to personal choice. I suppose it depends on the curriculum and an adequate class structure. However, I received an A in advanced algebra during High School. You would think it would have worked better in my position, but it didn't.

A

I shoot first there is no shooting back
Awards
I've done calc 1-3, Diff Eqs, and Engineering Math. I did not find them hard just annoying because of the teachers grading preference

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
I suck at math. It's not that I can't stand the subject, but I'm not good at it. People tell me that I'm "artsy" and that is the reason why I'm not very proficient at math.
Anyway, I'm making this to see who's good at this subject. This is because in Finland I just had I.B. Lukio (Finnish High School in English) entrance exams and they basically just test math and expect you to pass. Of course, with my logic, I don't pass and now I may have to move back to the US. It's not that I don't want to, but I prefer Finnish education (Plus I need to learn to speak the language more fluently).
So please, tell me how good and efficient you are in math.

I'm naturally "artsy", I almost decided to go to art school and pursue a career in graphic design.

I rock at math. I used to suck at math. Like I could hardly do basic algebra out of high school. Then I learned math because I wanted to be an engineer. Now I'm an engineer with a math minor in college. Anybody can learn math. The things that keep people from learning math are pride, laziness, and disinterest. You just gotta put in the effort and time and work to learn it. This goes for anything people aren't naturally good at. Some people have to work really hard to be a decent drawer, and some people are naturally amazing at drawing. Same for math, I guess. But that didn't stop me. I wanted to learn it, so I did. You can too.

How can you say you are terrible? You passed Calc I-III and Differentials and still remained a Computer Science major.

I consider myself a math oriented person, but failed both Pre Calc and Calc my first time around and ended up changing majors due to personal choice. I suppose it depends on the curriculum and an adequate class structure. However, I received an A in advanced algebra during High School. You would think it would have worked better in my position, but it didn't.

I got A's in high school math and I was positively stupid at high school math. I had almost a perfect GPA in high school and man did I SUCK at anything that wasn't writing or art lol

A

I shoot first there is no shooting back
Awards
Math generally isn't hard, teachers just suck and or a person might be lazy to learn it. Other than that it's cake walk once you grasp the concept

D

Deleted member 36435

yea honestly you can probably scoot through math up to like calc with a solid B or A just by showing up and doing the HW

ok sunny

Awards
yea honestly you can probably scoot through math up to like calc with a solid B or A just by showing up and doing the HW
As much I'd be able to get away with that in the US, they don't count Homework as a grade in Finland...

I guess I'll go with everyone else's advice since it was really good, actually. I thought I was the only one around here who struggled because most of you seem to talk pretty "professionally", but it's probably because I'm younger lol. Anyway, thanks everyone. It means a lot to know that you're there to give this advice :)

MyNameisAnsem

Well, I suppose I'll figure out next year. I'm taking AP Calculus as a Senior. I heard it was pretty challenging.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
I suck at Math. For me, it's like learning a second language. I feel like an idiot when doing it sometimes :/

KHRULER

Awards
Tbh I'm good at it but I don't pay attention sometimes so its just a blank page to me on tests.

D

Deleted member 36435

As much I'd be able to get away with that in the US, they don't count Homework as a grade in Finland...

I guess I'll go with everyone else's advice since it was really good, actually. I thought I was the only one around here who struggled because most of you seem to talk pretty "professionally", but it's probably because I'm younger lol. Anyway, thanks everyone. It means a lot to know that you're there to give this advice :)
Most of my mathematics homework in college has not been graded... I suggested it because it's excellent practice. If you show up and do minimal practice it's easy to pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back