• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Tech ► Google Fiber

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
Yet another reason for Google to think that they rule the world. I tell you, these guys are going to be the only ones to live after the apocalypse comfortably.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntICHMV-WMA&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

lol

Shinjuku

Entrapment
Well they offer T.V and Internet for now.

Although I might be tempted on that T.V part of it Charter down here STINKS to high heaven. I know that they don't have many channels yet though.

Passion

Silver Member
Awards
I also don't get why people are against monsters like Walmart and Walgreens monopolizing various industries, but oh well~
Anyways, if the Google monopoly is great, then I won't complain. :v

here in america that little word "monopoly" is illegal. basic economics class my friend. basic econ.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
1 bit represents a cell of computer memory that can carry either the value 1 or 0 (true or false).
8 bits (8 little cells of memory) = 1 byte.
(1 byte can represent 256 different combinations of values, because 2^(8) = 256).

Therefore, 1 gigabyte =/= 1 gigabit.

That's what I know about bits/bytes and I'm assuming it's the same concept when carried over to internet speed.

Last edited:

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Dead at nobody on KHInsider understanding the difference between a gigabyte and a gigabit.

To put this into perspective, 1 gigabit is equal to roughly 125 MB.

Which is still about 10 times faster than the internet I personally have right now, but still.

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
Well, a good thing that comes out of this is the fact that other competitors will now have to speed up in order to stick around. Or is that a bad thing

Alaude Drenxta

\+The Devil's+/ .{Advocate}.
Well, a good thing that comes out of this is the fact that other competitors will now have to speed up in order to stick around. Or is that a bad thing

That's not necessarily true. The connected cost of speeds like this will seem huge compared to the negligible difference noticed by the consumers in their internet speed. The average user would not likely see more than a marginal rise in their speeds, not enough to warrant the additional cost. Only high traffic users who run numerous large downloads would really benefit, and even then it's hard to justify those prices. In the early years it will be very difficult to market these products, they won't catch on for quite some time, and will likely be overshadowed by slightly slower and cheaper services that reflect the "next step up", instead of a boundless leap. Those are the sorts of things that crash an economy.

Alaude Drenxta

Not really, it only seems that way if you can't differentiate between a gigabit and a gigabyte~
It is still 100 times faster than the average here. Coupled with unlimited bandwidth and it's quite a convenience.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
It is still 100 times faster than the average here. Coupled with unlimited bandwidth and it's quite a convenience.
Oh, I'm in no way trying to put Google Fiber down. I'd take up those speeds in an instant if I could, but Australia's probably going to be the last 'western' nation to receive anything like Google Fiber, if it even expands outside of the USA.

Alaude Drenxta

Oh, I'm in no way trying to put Google Fiber down. I'd take up those speeds in an instant if I could, but Australia's probably going to be the last 'western' nation to receive anything like Google Fiber, if it even expands outside of the USA.

I'm sure it would eventually, but likely under a different name and even from a different company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back