• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age - July 11th 2017

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Re: Return to Ivalice in Final Fantasy XII -The Zodiac Age-

It all started with Arnie Roth's little slip of the tongue. Then Fran was announced maybe a few weeks later to be in production. Then the Prima guide. Then everybody felt that Fran coming out two weeks before E3 was something of note.

I need to get Fran soon.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com

It felt as though Arnie Roth confirming it, the HD screenshots in the Prima guide, and the many many hints over the last few years were a confirmation of this

The product directly stemming from Square cemented it for me though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lol, it's not a contest, Chaser <3

Rael_Oblivion

Hmmmm, now that this has been announced, should I bother trying to finish the original version? I got disheartened with the game after a three-hour slog in the Necrohol of Nabudis for the Zodiac Spear ended with me dying a few feet from the entrance and losing all my progress, and then knowing the next dungeon I had to beat was the Pharos...

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards

I wouldn't bother. You want the HD version to feel fresh and not having played the original in a while is going to add to that. And the Zodiac Spear isn't missable in the Zodiac version of the game (although, you instead have to worry about Seitengrat).

Awards

So, from a scale 1 to 10, how you'd guys rate the game? I want others think before I get.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards

You mean the original FF XII?
Phew, tricky. The gameplay is easily a 9/10 for me, but the story-telling and characters (and I know that's very important for many RPG-fans) is a 6/10 at best.
Like, the ideas are really cool, but the story never really got me, and most of the characters are quite boring.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards

It's the opposite for me. XII has some of the best characters and plot in the entire series. The game unfortunately have some pacing issues though, as it can takes hours between story progression (this is at least remedied in part in the Zodiac version due to the turbo mode that speeds up the grinding). Gameplay is good, but I feel like it would have been even better if they had gone back and replaced the battle system with that of A Realm Reborn (or something more similar to XV for that matter).

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards

Yuuus! *fits pumps trough the roof* Really nice to see that the HD version of XII is really coming. This is will be my first time diving into it. I am quite curious about the political stuff in the game and folks have said that the voice acting is really good in XII. I am now thinking if I am gonna play it with the original Japanese voice acting or the English voice acting.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards

Everything is a contest and I must be the victor

If you're not first your last. Second place is the first loser.

But I didn't know the Zodiac Spear wasn't missable in the international release, so are you telling me I can open any treasure chest I want now? Also, what's this turbo mode?

Last edited:

LingeringVanitas

Zodiac Age AKA International Zodiac Job System HD remake. I'm happy they are finally doing it. But not very happy about it being the International version, I guess its cool it'll be "officially" in english even though I got it burned "translated" and played it on my ps2. The job system game is sort of annoying. For those who haven't played it. A lot of stuff is missable, like spells and armor etc, they added spells in "chests" you can easily miss in certain places in the game. And your stuck in that job forever[unless you used a code on the ps2 version to switch jobs to get other stuff like magic for your fighter] lol except if this is going to ps3 or ps4 you'll be screwed and won't be able to do that. It makes the game challenging though don't get me wrong, but the normal game was hard enough. lol So for this version you have no choice but to use every single character unlike the original game where you can avoid using Panelo and ignore her and others forever. In International version you have no choice but to use her and the others because of the whole job system thing. Am I putting it down? No, in fact it was fun playing it. Being able to control the guests in it is pretty cool too.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards

you have no choice but to use every single character unlike the original game where you can avoid using Panelo and ignore her

NOOOOOOOO!!!!! I hate Penelo!!!!!

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards

I loooooooooove her D:
I absolutely hate Ashe though...

I think the job system is okay. Like, I would've found it better if EVERYTHING is available for at least one character, but I feel like giving everyone the same license board was kinda weird.

SephirothZ

You mean the original FF XII?
Phew, tricky. The gameplay is easily a 9/10 for me, but the story-telling and characters (and I know that's very important for many RPG-fans) is a 6/10 at best.
Like, the ideas are really cool, but the story never really got me, and most of the characters are quite boring.

I pretty much agree with this. There is a lot of strategy in the gameplay and building the characters was fun.
The small difference I have is that the plot or setting of the game was brilliant. A civil war instead of some ultra monster trying to destroy the world is a welcomed change. However, I felt like they fell short of its full potential and half of the characters were not really developed well in my opinion. Its definitely a game I recommend, but in terms of memorable characters, this game does not have much.

I am a little disappointed Revenant Wings was not included. Oh well, I will still buy it day 1.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

Hey! Penelo's Quickenings are really cool and she saved me plenty of times!! Don't you dis my girl!!

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards

I pretty much agree with this. There is a lot of strategy in the gameplay and building the characters was fun.
The small difference I have is that the plot or setting of the game was brilliant. A civil war instead of some ultra monster trying to destroy the world is a welcomed change. However, I felt like they fell short of its full potential and half of the characters were not really developed well in my opinion. Its definitely a game I recommend, but in terms of memorable characters, this game does not have much.

I am a little disappointed Revenant Wings was not included. Oh well, I will still buy it day 1.

I found the political world itself(!) great, too. I especially loved cities like Rabanastre and Archadis.
But I didn't feel like I was actually experiencing all that, maybe because most of the characters felt so...random and unconnected.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards

Honestly, I haven't even beaten XII yet, but it's by far my favorite FF so far. I love all the playable characters and how each has a really good, really significant plot connection. I love the plot itself and how its, for an FF, kind of, well, simple. The gameplay is fun, though sometimes tedious, but the turbo button would easily help with this.

Granted, my experience was with the vanilla XII, but I inagine I'm gonna love International. I'll miss making everyone well rounded and pretty much good in all, if not most, categories, but Job systems can be fun, so yay.

I loooooooooove her D:
I absolutely hate Ashe though...

tumblr_ni3lcmrX551r0xoego2_500.png

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com

Balthier & Gabranth Play Arts Kai Figures available for preorder. <3

I wonder if these will be marketed under the remaster title, like the recent Tidus & Yuna figures were for their HD collection.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

I want that Balthier figure! <3
giphy.gif

Back