• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy VII Remake Megathread - Intergrade, Rebirth, Reunion and more

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Re: Final Fantasy VII REMAKE - Coming First on PS4

I could be wrong but I think most of the people who are fine with Genesis either played Crisis Core first or they didn't play Final Fantasy VII back in the day. It was just such a big retcon that it's hard to get over if you know that the story was never presented like that in the original game. Last Order is much closer to how we got to know the events back in the day. Genesis, Angeal, Cissnei, Hollander, Lazard... all of them were added in Crisis Core. Most fans agree that Cissnei is a good addition and are generally fine with Angeal (minus the clone thing) too. Hollander and Lazard come off as bad filler material and Genesis is heavily disliked because of the reasons I mentioned above. No one really likes the villains in Dirge of Cerberus either, or the remnants of Sephiroth in Advent Children. The game already has an iconic villain and plenty of memorable "sub-villains" if you will. I think many fans would have preferred to see Jenova take on a bigger role in the sequels for example. She is supposed to be an even greater threat than Sephiroth.

JossyRose

This is why I need a PS 4. My reaction to the reveal at E3 was something along the lines of "Yes! Yes! I can't wait for this to come out! I'm so happy! So excited!" and then they said "Playstation 4 exclusive" and I all but dropped to my knees and cried. Gah!

Sdog

Awards

This is why I need a PS 4. My reaction to the reveal at E3 was something along the lines of "Yes! Yes! I can't wait for this to come out! I'm so happy! So excited!" and then they said "Playstation 4 exclusive" and I all but dropped to my knees and cried. Gah!

Coming first to PS4. If you have a PC or even possibly an Xbone it's coming, just at a later date. Though, I'd rather play it on the PS4 =p.

Welcome to the forums btw. Go say hi in the Foyer! :D

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com

I could be wrong but I think most of the people who are fine with Genesis either played Crisis Core first or they didn't play Final Fantasy VII back in the day. It was just such a big retcon that it's hard to get over if you know that the story was never presented like that in the original game. Last Order is much closer to how we got to know the events back in the day. Genesis, Angeal, Cissnei, Hollander, Lazard... all of them were added in Crisis Core. Most fans agree that Cissnei is a good addition and are generally fine with Angeal (minus the clone thing) too. Hollander and Lazard come off as bad filler material and Genesis is heavily disliked because of the reasons I mentioned above. No one really likes the villains in Dirge of Cerberus either, or the remnants of Sephiroth in Advent Children. The game already has an iconic villain and plenty of memorable "sub-villains" if you will. I think many fans would have preferred to see Jenova take on a bigger role in the sequels for example. She is supposed to be an even greater threat than Sephiroth.
Yes, I did play CC first and I would probably have hated that retcon if I hadn't so I understand.
Now they're remaking the game though so they can change that if they want to and "fix it".
Agree about Dirge of Cerberus though even if the villains looked kinda cool design wise (love the design of the red head even if I hated her voice and little girls with huge powers are pretty awesome as well, similarly to the the Resident Evil movies with the ai girl).

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards

Guess so, too. Putting in Genesis (and others...) would kind of inevitably twist the story in some ways and make it even more illogical than the compilation already did o0
But still, although I played FF7 first when I wasn't even able to read...not putting this stuff in would be kind of weird, too. o0 It's like admitting that AC, CC or DoC were "mistakes" and shouldn't have been made because they don't fit.

Topic:
I really can't wait for the Gold Saucer. I love it in the Original and I'm expecting a lot here, I admit. Same goes for the forgotten city.

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com

not putting this stuff in would be kind of weird, too. o0 It's like admitting that AC, CC or DoC were "mistakes" and shouldn't have been made because they don't fit.
That's why I think they'll at least add some small stuff and change the memories if they have to so CC make sense.
Not sure if it's necessary to add anything because of DoC but I wouldn't be surprised to see a Easter egg or two.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards

I'm fine with Advent Children Complete. While it's certainly no masterpiece, it's ultimately just harmless fan service. It didn't contradict the events in the game, nor did it have leave a sour taste in people's mouths. Dirge of Cerberus on the other hand not only ends on a really bad note and a cliffhanger, but also had some seriously bad retcon in it (like the stuff with Hojo). As mentioned earlier, Crisis Core added Genesis and Project G into the mix. It was not needed. The game would have been perfectly fine without it. Just like no one asked for that ridiculous X-2.5 novel or the audio drama.

I'm guessing most people who enjoy the Kingdom Hearts games in general don't care much about Xion. Her entire existence was pointless as even after retroactively writing her into the plot, nothing really came out of it other than a sappy ending in a less than stellar game. If anything, instead of adding her to the game they could just have tried to focus on Organization XIII as many characters could have used some fleshing out (which most of them sadly never were). It's not as bad as the retcon in Final Fantasy VII, but it's part of a pattern from Square Enix to add new characters to their games thinking the original cast somehow isn't strong enough to carry a new game on their own.

A better analogy would probably be this; imagine if they were to remake the original Star Wars trilogy today. Would anyone really want Jar-Jar Binks to suddenly be part of it, introduced as a friend of Leia's mother or something like that?

Last edited:

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards

As mentioned earlier, Crisis Core added Genesis and Project G into the mix. It was not needed. The game would have been perfectly fine without it. Just like no one asked for that ridiculous X-2.5 novel or the audio drama.

I'm guessing most people who enjoy the Kingdom Hearts games in general don't care much about Xion. Her entire existence was pointless as even after retroactively writing her into the plot, nothing really came out of it other than a sappy ending in a less than stellar game. If anything, instead of adding her to the game they could just have tried to focus on Organization XIII as many characters could have used some fleshing out (which most of them sadly never were). It's not as bad as the retcon in Final Fantasy VII, but it's part of a pattern from Square Enix to add new characters to their games thinking the original cast somehow isn't strong enough to carry a new game on their own.

Agreed.
They threw in Xion for no reason at all and if they were to just never mention her again now, it would be reeeeally weird, wouldn't it? It's sad that interesting characters are "replaced" by new ones that aren't needed at all (and, in the cases of Genesis and Xion, only annoy me ><), but still...just ignoring the fact that they DID put the unnecessary Gackt-Replica in would be twice as embarassing imo. :c

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards

Cissnei: Every time I see you...I feel this need to tell you my real name.
It's-*NOISY TRUCK ZOOMS BY*

And it better have all the dates~

Goddammit, it's The Fairly Oddparents all over again!

Imagine seeing Cid for the first time :) "Shera! Go get me that damn coffee! #&$@*!!"

Ah yes. Some things never change. XD

Guess so, too. Putting in Genesis (and others...) would kind of inevitably twist the story in some ways and make it even more illogical than the compilation already did o0
But still, although I played FF7 first when I wasn't even able to read...not putting this stuff in would be kind of weird, too. o0 It's like admitting that AC, CC or DoC were "mistakes" and shouldn't have been made because they don't fit.

Topic:
I really can't wait for the Gold Saucer. I love it in the Original and I'm expecting a lot here, I admit. Same goes for the forgotten city.

A lot of people out there consider most of those entries mistakes due to all of the retcons that sprung from it. This compilation is sometimes called "The Complication of Final Fantasy VII" beacause (see what I did there? :p) of that. Granted, Dirge of Cerberus really was a mistake (and a REALLY bad one at that).

I'm fine with Advent Children Complete. While it's certainly no masterpiece, it's ultimately just harmless fan service. It didn't contradict the events in the game, nor did it have leave a sour taste in people's mouths. Dirge of Cerberus on the other hand not only ends on a really bad note and a cliffhanger, but also had some seriously bad retcon in it (like the stuff with Hojo). As mentioned earlier, Crisis Core added Genesis and Project G into the mix. It was not needed. The game would have been perfectly fine without it. Just like no one asked for that ridiculous X-2.5 novel or the audio drama.

Agreed. Advent Children Complete was harmless for the most part. Cloud being "emo" was at least justified within the context of the film and the story, while not particularly good, was decent enough to actually keep me interested. My only issue here is that it essentially operated similarly to a International Version/Final Mix in movie form in that we needed to essentially buy the movie again in order to see all of the (downright necessary) bells and whistles added in to make the story more coherent than it was back in 2006. Thankfully, it was done similarly to the Extended Cut versions of The Lord of the Rings films where the extra stuff was not only informative, but interesting within its own merits (i.e.: slightly more backstory on the Moogle girl).

A better analogy would probably be this; imagine if they were to remake the original Star Wars trilogy today. Would anyone really want Jar-Jar Binks to suddenly be part of it, introduced as a friend of Leia's mother or something like that?

Jar Jar: Princess Leia, yousa think yousa peeple gunna die?
[beat]
Leia: They already have, Jar-Jar...

Lonbilly

an old man plaguing the site like a phantom
Awards

Honestly, having still not beaten the original FFVII, I actually had no problem with Genesis - but that also stems from the fact that Crisis Core was my first real game I played from this series (Advent Children being my first introduction to it). That being said, despite my liking of Gackt (he has that really cool Dirge of Cerberus song and that really cool Kamen Rider Decade song) I could live with Genesis being excluded since he just came off more as a Sephiroth-clone than anything else (but Angeal and Cissnei are bae so...).

I mean, in the overall scheme of things to the Compilation, not just Crisis Core, does taking Genesis out really change anything? Other than some of Crisis Core which, from the Last Order thing, already kind of functioned as a solid story itself?

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards

Genesis and Project G did nothing for the plot, since it was a retcon. Actually, I would argue that it undermined the story that had already been told through the original game and Last Order. Crisis Core would definitely have worked without Genesis and Project G.

Angeal on the other hand was a nice addition. Here's how it should have gone down:

The two of them should have gone on various missions together, where he would serve as Zack's mentor. Cloud appears in some of these and a friendship gradually develops. Eventually there would be a mission involving AVALANCHE, referred to as terrorists by Shinra. This would normally be restricted to 1st Class, but Zack manages to tag along anyway and you can't help but think this is a bad idea. There's a brief encounter with Jessie, Biggs and Wedge. The Shinra squad successfully stops AVALANCHE, but at the cost of Angeal's life. He took a bullet for Zack, whose inexperience put him in harm's way. Before dying, he gives the Buster Sword to Zack. Upon returning to Shinra HQ, Zack would receive a bittersweet promotion to 1st Class due to getting a recommendation by Sephiroth. The two then get partnered up and sent to Nibelheim and that would lead perfectly into the story we all knew and loved.

What do you think?

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards

Angeal on the other hand was a nice addition. Here's how it should have gone down:

The two of them should have gone on various missions together, where he would serve as Zack's mentor. Cloud appears in some of these and a friendship gradually develops. Eventually there would be a mission involving AVALANCHE, referred to as terrorists by Shinra. This would normally be restricted to 1st Class, but Zack manages to tag along anyway and you can't help but think this is a bad idea. There's a brief encounter with Jessie, Biggs and Wedge. The Shinra squad successfully stops AVALANCHE, but at the cost of Angeal's life. He took a bullet for Zack, whose inexperience put him in harm's way. Before dying, he gives the Buster Sword to Zack. Upon returning to Shinra HQ, Zack would receive a bittersweet promotion to 1st Class due to getting a recommendation by Sephiroth. The two then get partnered up and sent to Nibelheim and that would lead perfectly into the story we all knew and loved.

What do you think?

Actually, this was closer to what I initially expected to happen coming into the game just by the back of the boxart/UMD case cover alone (the one with Angeal, Zack and Cloud together).

Lonbilly

an old man plaguing the site like a phantom
Awards

Genesis and Project G did nothing for the plot, since it was a retcon. Actually, I would argue that it undermined the story that had already been told through the original game and Last Order. Crisis Core would definitely have worked without Genesis and Project G.

What do you think?

I would fund the hell out of this version of the story.

On a slightly different note, do y'all think Aerith's death may be altered at all? I don't mean getting rid of it (although I wouldn't put it past SE to possibly make it possible to either let her die OR save her in the remake), I mean regarding the "Who killed Aerith?" debate. Aka the "Aerith drowned because of Cloud" theory, which I'm actually rather fond of but I'm also certain it wasn't meant to come off that way.

Turn

(&#65417;&#9685;&#12526;&#9685;)&#65417;&#65374;&#
Awards
Website
flavors.me

On a slightly different note, do y'all think Aerith's death may be altered at all? I don't mean getting rid of it (although I wouldn't put it past SE to possibly make it possible to either let her die OR save her in the remake), I mean regarding the "Who killed Aerith?" debate. Aka the "Aerith drowned because of Cloud" theory, which I'm actually rather fond of but I'm also certain it wasn't meant to come off that way.
This is such an iconic part of the story, though, that I can't imagine it'll be reproduced with anything but reverence. As you said, I mean, I wouldn't put anything past SE, but it'd be pretty ballsy just on principle imo.

Awards

They kinda changed Zack's death in Crisis Core, didn't they? In FF7 it seemed as if he died without saying anything to Cloud, in Crisis Core he had a final moment with him before he passed away. It's been a while, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Tempus

Awards
With my Amiibo horde...they're mine I tell you! Al

I'd imagine they'll make it more cinematic and intense but that's probably it. I'm kind of hoping they have Sepiroth land & then kill her. The way he sort of does a fly in stabbing always looked odd to me for some reason.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards

The way he was killed in Crisis Core was so over the top. Originally he was just killed by two simple grunts. I'm all for adding an emotional scene with Cloud, but in that case it makes more sense that he's dying as opposed to actually being dead if he wasn't being hunt down by hundreds of them and along with helicopters! If they had gone with a plot similar to the one I came up with earlier, it would have made sense for Cloud to drag Zack down and Zack being shot as a result of protecting him. There is something really tragic about a hero unexpectedly getting gunned down by two low-ranking soldiers.

As for Aerith's death, I think it should happen the same way it did in the original. They could add some blood, like they did with Zack. I'm more curious about how they're going to handle her burial, which is laughably inconsistent in the original.

WanPisu

Awards

I like how we're getting pieces of information through the many interviews Nomura has to do, for both KH3 and 7. Playstation Access and Famitsu interviews coming up soon too, I believe.

Some guy

Re: Final Fantasy VII REMAKE - Coming First on PS4 - Cloud in a purple dress in HD

Is this really happening? (no need to answer this) It's just that a remake could drag down what was once a very good game ... I guess all the "fans" will be pleased; but I can't help being worried, because it's those same "fans" that are so quick to complain.

AlotLikeMacabre

Re: Final Fantasy VII REMAKE - Coming First on PS4 - Cloud in a purple dress in HD

Oh yeah, man. They'll be looking for ANY reason to not like FFVII. It's those same types of fans that will nitpick and tear apart every little bit of KHIII until it's their least favorite game over something like Sora not starting with the Kingdom Key.

Back