• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy PS4 - "Please look forward to E3."

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards
I wouldn't be surprised if this new title was The Final Fantasy seeing how far in the red SE is. Call it speculation or whatever but I mean XIV (the CGI trailer itself was about $3m) alone will either make or break the company. Sure they have Versus as a fallback but right now they're scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of money. Has anyone ever stopped to think that they might've discontinued titles for smartphones was because they can't afford it (if someone has already pointed that out then my apologies as I haven't followed that thread)? Be that as it may, SE is at the end of their ropes here and absolutely needs to announce something that'll restore the damage XIII-2 and LRFF has done and will do respectively.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I wouldn't be surprised if this new title was The Final Fantasy seeing how far in the red SE is. Call it speculation or whatever but I mean XIV (the CGI trailer itself was about $3m) alone will either make or break the company. Sure they have Versus as a fallback but right now they're scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of money. Has anyone ever stopped to think that they might've discontinued titles for smartphones was because they can't afford it (if someone has already pointed that out then my apologies as I haven't followed that thread)? Be that as it may, SE is at the end of their ropes here and absolutely needs to announce something that'll restore the damage XIII-2 and LRFF has done and will do respectively.

Square Enix has quite a lot of money saved in their reserves, though. Also the return they are getting from Eidos and Crystal Dynamics is at least helping their books look fuller. Japan division isn't looking as hot, though. They know how to make games, they have good handheld titles, but their home console support is very spotty. The PS4 will give them a good place to start anew.

They haven't discontinued any mobile games. They just won't be making anymore/publishing new social games besides the ones they have had lined up. Mobile games =/= social games. The mobile department seem to want to make more in-house games geared for the "hardcore" audience.

SE needs to branch out of Final Fantasy and work on some new IPs that fans can fall in love with. Final Fantasy is slowly turning into a crutch rather than their flagship franchise, so a break from the numbered titles would be fantastic in all honesty after XV.

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards
Square Enix has quite a lot of money saved in their reserves, though. Also the return they are getting from Eidos and Crystal Dynamics is at least helping their books look fuller. Japan division isn't looking as hot, though. They know how to make games, they have good handheld titles, but their home console support is very spotty. The PS4 will give them a good place to start anew.

Yep just did my research and it turns out DQ:X is pulling its fair share of weight as well. Yoshi-P is becoming SE as we speak. I guess I could give them a tad bit more credit seeing as Yoshi-P is saving Final Fantasy as we speak. But yeah as you said I hope we get to see the SE that was present during the PS2's lifespan as opposed to the PS3's.

They haven't discontinued any mobile games. They just won't be making anymore/publishing new social games besides the ones they have had lined up. Mobile games =/= social games. The mobile department seem to want to make more in-house games geared for the "hardcore" audience.

Yeah that's what I meant. My bad ;_;

Although I really don't think mobile and hardcore mix very well but we'll see where it takes them.

SE needs to branch out of Final Fantasy and work on some new IPs that fans can fall in love with. Final Fantasy is slowly turning into a crutch rather than their flagship franchise, so a break from the numbered titles would be fantastic in all honesty after XV.

A break from all FF would be nice actually. Though I really do hope this new title has something to do in the Ivalice universe. I really liked that place. Tactics more so than XII however.

Neo

Well, The new Tomb Raider reboot has been breaking sales records in NA and Europe so maybe that'll help them stay afloat longer.I honestly don't see LR selling much more than 1-2 million units world wide and that's a very generous guess on my part.They should probabaly stop spending millions of lavish CGI and start making games more economically.Japanese devs can learn alot from Atlus who've been making top quality RPGs on low budgets for decades.You don't need flashy CGI and Over the top prodcution values to make a compelling RPG.Games like Persona 4 are a testament to that fact.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Yep just did my research and it turns out DQ:X is pulling its fair share of weight as well. Yoshi-P is becoming SE as we speak. I guess I could give them a tad bit more credit seeing as Yoshi-P is saving Final Fantasy as we speak. But yeah as you said I hope we get to see the SE that was present during the PS2's lifespan as opposed to the PS3's.

Also when DQX releases on the Wii-U, I think it'll start picking up a tiny bit more steam.

Yoshi-P is our hero ;A; I believe he can save it. I was definitely not interested in XIV until a bit after Yoshi-P took over and started the big overhaul and now it is definitely one of the few MMOs I'm excited to get my hands on. I haven't dedicated time to one since FFXI some years ago, so I'm definitely rooting for this one.

Yeah that's what I meant. My bad ;_;

Although I really don't think mobile and hardcore mix very well but we'll see where it takes them.

Yeah, but if they were able to get people to get over the utter disdain they had over TWEWY being ported to iOS and made it one of Square Enix's highest rated iOS games, they can probably get something out TWEWY or Chaos Rings quality.

A break from all FF would be nice actually. Though I really do hope this new title has something to do in the Ivalice universe. I really liked that place. Tactics more so than XII however.

I know it won't happen but still. It'd be such a nice relief. Gives times for fans to get a break and start begging for a new game, especially if they make their next installment a big hit. If not a break, they just need to keep their major Final Fantasy developments under-wraps until they are close to being done so we don't deal with a problem like XIII and Versus XIII again.

Ivalice is always welcome for expansion. I think it is one of the only successful universes made by Square that is able to exist as an individual IP and within the Final Fantasy series. The world and history building of Ivalice was definitely some of SE's best work. Also I want more Akihiko Yoshida art ;A; And Matsuno to come back to work on it :c

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Additionally, it's my post, my views and all I said was that there is a chance for XIII games to be possibly made on the PS4. Not that they would make another, since the chance is unlikely but still, the chance is there. And you are denying ALL possibility of a XIII game, which isn't true.

There's a possibility that Capcom could make another Demon's Crest, but is it actually a relevant enough possibility for me to bring it up or give any thought to? There's little reason for me to be adamant about it when it's unlikely to happen.

Be that as it may, SE is at the end of their ropes here and absolutely needs to announce something that'll restore the damage XIII-2 and LRFF has done and will do respectively.

XIII-2 and LRFF may have "damaged" the brand to a degree, but XIII-2 and especially XIII sold fairly well still. And there ARE plenty of people who liked XIII, they just aren't message board warriors, so the disdain for the XIII games isn't as widespread as people think it is. People have been predicting the end of SE for a long time but I think they'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back