• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Exercises to help you become better writers!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Optimus Rhyme

Better than Ken at LoL
ITT:exercises that are useful in tuning a specific part of writing, such as plot or character development, or just writing in general.

More will be added as I have time to add them.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
fu michael I was going to make a freewriting/stream of consciousness thread ugh

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Generally reading good books helps as well. I get told all the time that stories I write are both creative and well-written, but I've actually done hardly any writing exercises and my school certainly didn't do anything to improve my writing skills, aside from perhaps getting them up to the same level as everyone else.
Through reading good books, you'll get inspiration for more ideas, experience a range of scenarios and writing styles, which can be more valuable than simply sitting around being spoken at about how to write well.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Someone should write a guide telling people how to stop being a lazy bum and actually write consistently.

Epif

The Delicious
Website
epiphany-delirium.tumblr.com
It isn't only the reading good books, but also reading the newer good books. That is, books that are not as old as dirt, yet that is more so for the story you write than it is for the way that you write. I mean, writing, as has been shown by many new, really terrible writers, is a business after all.

But another thing one could try is the "Writing 750 words" thing. 750 Words is where I (try to) go to write out said 750 words. The first time I did it, I accidentally wrote a really bad Warehouse 13 fanfic... <_>

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Stepping outside you comfort zone is one. Mostly if you don't love writing and just want the "skill" then I can neither offer sympathies nor exercises.
One thing that helped me was to write a KH Fan-fic, something I was hesitant about. However, when limiting yourself to a topic you learn to improvise.

If describing is your weak point or you have trouble expressing yourself, then just write it out. School bells remind me of sunsets, and that's a unique comparison for most people. Mainly though, it's something stemming from me and my personality which leads to confidence and it's something you understand. If you compare feeling sick to feeling like a weed, do it! If song lyrics meshed with mythology is what you feel accurately describes your situation or story, put it down. Write what feels natural, then you can evolve naturally. Remember, personalize.

Now here's where the excersize comes in. Think about something, anything. I usually pick something that's either really foreign or close to home, the middle ground leaves me mixed but that's up to you. Then write about it, anything. Trust me, it works

Lord of Chaos

Once more 'round the room we waltz.
A few things:

1.) When you sit down to write (after you get a good idea of where you're going/what you're doing) as much as you may hear otherwise and want to, do not under the majority of circumstances leave your "writing space" (desk, table, etc.). Lack of distraction is key when writing, and even doing something as getting a drink or a bite to eat can end it for you.

2.) If you're trying to write something of a larger length, it really helps to develop an outline. Here's the outline I used for my last novel (which I currently have sent out to 9 publishers):

Title (Estimated Length -- 80K words/160 pages)

Preface/Introduction/Prologue (Yes/No. If yes, estimated length -- 5 Pages)

Act I -- Development (50 pages)
ChI -- Introduction/Est. of Character (10 pages)
ChII -- Est. of Conflict (10 pages)
ChIII -etc
ChIV -- etc
ChV -- etc

ActII -- Conflict/Rising Point/Etc. (50 pages)
Etc, etc.

ActIII -- Finale (5o pages)
Etc, etc.

Epilogue (If any, another 5 pages)

Now that's a very basic outline, but it normally helps to establish when things in the story will happen/who will be introduced/etc. Especially if you plan to write a sequel to this story or otherwise. These kind of outlines can be fixed to any situation (flash fiction to novels), and you should generally play it by ear (or eye in this case). I chose 160 pages because that's the typical novel length these days, especially for first-timers. Of course, your estimates don't have to be exact, but as my old professor used to say:

"It helps to know where you're going if you can see the road."

I've got a few other exercises and tips for people but I'll have to list them later as right now I'm in a hurry. Otherwise, keep up the good work.

Twilight_Nobody

In a fiery castle engulfed in the power of Twiligh
I`ve been writing all my life and only recently decided to finish a few novels and try to go pro.
Let me tell you; it`s not as easy as it sounds, but with determination it CAN and WILL happen if that`s what you really want.
Anyway, writing excercises.

I call this the psycho sentence exerscise. It`s fairly simple, just follow these steps!
1. Find a sentence. It doesn`t matter is you hear it from the TV, read it in the paper, hear it from your friend`s mouth or just make it up yourself. Just find a sentence: any one will do.

2. Take it out of context. When your buddy says, "I just reached the second level" while playing some classic Mario, take that sentence and decontextify (ya, it`s a word) it! Now, what if he had said that while climbing the stairs at your grandma`s house or while trying to raise his rank in an army? Totally different situations.

3. Write one page about the sentence. Whatever comes to mind. If all you can think of is "And the hairy cheeseburger flushed in the roof with eight chinese cats while the turkey police tazed Tim Allen," then write it! Heck, I just got a killer idea for a story about ninja cats who travel via toilets to save the fabled hairy cheeseburger from the turkey police just by writing that sentence! NOTE: Just kidding, that is a horrible idea... Or is it???

4. Take what`s good from your page and USE IT. A lot of times we practice the crap right out of ourselves but never get to the real deal. Look fellas, if you want to write a story the only way to do it is to sit down and work at it.

Well, there`s my excercise.
(Sorry if my spelling and grammar sucked in this post. I`ve been speaking and writing nothing but friggin Spanish for a year now!)

tangerine

Awards
Someone should write a guide telling people how to stop being a lazy bum and actually write consistently.

Write something that interests you and not something that's meant to interest readers. If you still aren't interested in it then find something else to do. If that's impossible because you're obligated to write something then have a deadline/remind yourself you have a deadline. You don't need a whole guide for it when it's so simple. I'm pretty sure I already gave this advice in the Author's Corner thread.

Last edited:

Dr_Mario64

Ditto with what everyone else said. I also have an exercise that's very good for enhancing imagination. This one I recommend doing for 5 mins minimum, but 15-30 is ideal.

Let me give you a brief quote from Lewis Carroll's Through The Looking Glass: "Alice laughed, 'There's no use trying,' she said, 'one can't believe impossible things.' 'I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. 'When I was your age I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.'" This is what I'm suggesting you try. Whenever you get time, just sit down in a dim room without distractions and do absolutely nothing. Just let your mind take the wheel for a little while. You'd be surprised how many impossible things you can come up with. My personal best is about seven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back